Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

No horny posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

They're not really incorrect.

In general the ongoing coronation of Britt sucked poo poo and it was ridiculous that an unequivocal heel was being treated as a valiant face by pretty much everyone in the company.

that's what happens when you have a match like her lights out match, with the amazing media that came from it. she's a heel but if everyone's cheering and wants her to win it's better to let her win and be cheered than pretend she's not over in the way that she is

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

The hanky goes in the pocket, Tully

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oh, gently caress.

It's this.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/JonAlba/status/1399228120625029120 lmao Gedo said gently caress 'em

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

ahahahaha TK rules

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

aahhaah that owns

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Same

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I do agree they still need to do more with the women's division on dynamite and I do think Shida got done dirty a bit, like I said before, for her title run. I hope one day she gets another proper run when the division is (hopefully) used more on the main show.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
anna jay will dethrone britt

love my old gay dad

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Power Windows posted:

The hanky goes in the pocket, Tully

As mentioned on commentary, that's literally Tully's look from 80s Bunkhouse (hardcore) matches.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

There was zero chance he's going to foul a productive relationship to take a cheap shot WWE.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

yea ok posted:

that's what happens when you have a match like her lights out match, with the amazing media that came from it. she's a heel but if everyone's cheering and wants her to win it's better to let her win and be cheered than pretend she's not over in the way that she is

i don't necessarily disagree with the root of what you're saying but i think things got really loving ridiculous with it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

fair

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Drakkel posted:

A stellar show on almost every level, but I have one problem: the story of Britt Baker winning the title.

They created a scenario where literally everyone was hoping and cheering for the babyface to lose, and that everyone should want the bad guy to win because "She's earned it!" which is just....a really weird story to tell in a wrestling show? It's kinda lowkey insulting to Shida that they've basically made her losing the title a foregone conclusion for like a year and did absolutely nothing to make anybody root for her. Thus, the hero's journey ends with a miserable failure while the first full crowd at a wrestling show in nearly 2 years celebrates the villain who cheated to beat her and she'll probably just fade away to Dark/Elevation land cause Baker's the only woman in the company that matters (until Brandi comes back of course)

This part is absolutely right. It really started up after the Lights Out match, it's loving weird the way they push Britt. Like, to a point, yea ok is right, you should just let people react how they want to react, but the big push AEW made out of that match was how awesome Britt Baker was and how much rear end she kicked, except, she lost.

And they pretty much completely stopped acknowledging Thunder Rosa's existence on TV after that match, which, she won. It's like they put Rosa over and then after the match, decided to just pretend that Britt had won. And the way they did this 100% undercut Shida as a babyface champion.

It's weird, man.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Also, Tony said "What is up with airplane food, am I right?"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Tony: “So should I make fun of you guys having ‘discussions’ with WWE?”
Kidani, staring mournfully at black and white pictures of Nakamura and Styles: “Definitely”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MJeff posted:

This part is absolutely right. It really started up after the Lights Out match, it's loving weird the way they push Britt. Like, to a point, yea ok is right, you should just let people react how they want to react, but the big push AEW made out of that match was how awesome Britt Baker was and how much rear end she kicked, except, she lost.

And they pretty much completely stopped acknowledging Thunder Rosa's existence on TV after that match, which, she won. It's like they put Rosa over and then after the match, decided to just pretend that Britt had won. And the way they did this 100% undercut Shida as a babyface champion.

It's weird, man.

It's really not and this is retroactive colouring, during the match and in the immediate post-match while Thunder was the winner EVERYONE was all in on how that match made Britt. Go check the thread from that night if you want. While you can argue well Thunder Rosa won therefore something something it doesn't change that anyone could see Britt Baker was a star and she was their star.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the rosa stuff i at least can blame on the promotion she's actually signed to deciding to pull her back and give her a storyline literally saying that if she loses a match she can't wrestle for other companies anymore

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

DuhSal posted:

I do agree they still need to do more with the women's division on dynamite and I do think Shida got done dirty a bit, like I said before, for her title run. I hope one day she gets another proper run when the division is (hopefully) used more on the main show.

shida will absolutely be aew womens champ again unless she leaves the company in the next few years. shes one of the biggest stars they have, is featured prominently in the video game ad, just had a year long reign that legitimized the title, etc etc, i wouldn't worry about her.

ill agree i wish they had done some more on actually justifying treating britt like a face on commentary besides "shes over". they did a little but then counteracted it with britt getting some cheating in anyway.

e: yea thunder rosa technically still doesnt work for aew and it looks like they saw her getting a big push in aew and called up and said "WAIT NO U CANT USE HER THAT MUCH WE NEED HER FOR UHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOSER CANT LEAVE TOWN MATCH"

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hey.

CHAIR LAIR

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lid posted:

It's really not and this is retroactive colouring, during the match and in the immediate post-match while Thunder was the winner EVERYONE was all in on how that match made Britt. Go check the thread from that night if you want. While you can argue well Thunder Rosa won therefore something something it doesn't change that anyone could see Britt Baker was a star and she was their star.

There’s a pretty obvious reason why she namedropped Austin 3:16, after all; like him, she lost a match - and bled a lot during it! - but came out of it with more momentum than the woman who won.

Which, there’s nothing but compliments to be said when you can legit say “oh wow it’s like Bret/Austin”

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think AEW would 100% go all in on Thunder Rosa if they actually had her exclusively, but as long as she's technically NWA it's always gonna be a millstone around her neck.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

It's weird, man.

It's almost like Thunder Rosa has some sort of massive weight, controlled by a Rock and Roll Baron, placed around her neck that prevents her from receiving a full and strong push from AEW in any real sense.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pinwiz11 posted:

Hey.

CHAIR LAIR

The CHAIR DIMENSION

where Sammy Guevara has a MATRIX FIGHT

with SHAWN SPEARS

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pinwiz11 posted:

Hey.

CHAIR LAIR

Throne Zone

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i also think people are maybe putting a little too much weight on toney talking about how much he likes his bestie britt and thinking it's commentary/aew as a whole trying to make her a babyface

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"What do you need, Shawn?"

"Chairs. Lots of Chairs."

*infinite racks of folding chairs appear, filling the white void*

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CarlCX posted:

I think AEW would 100% go all in on Thunder Rosa if they actually had her exclusively, but as long as she's technically NWA it's always gonna be a millstone around her neck.

And the minute she's clear of that, she's gonna have a real obvious "you lost to me in the unsanctioned match" reason to taunt Britt into a title shot so I think it's all good

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/RealBrittBaker/status/1399232742026579969?s=20

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

flatluigi posted:

i also think people are maybe putting a little too much weight on toney talking about how much he likes his bestie britt and thinking it's commentary/aew as a whole trying to make her a babyface

it was like pre-Brodie Lee's sad departure there was the awesome face/heel team of Tay and Jay coming out of different tunnels

they were a face and a heel

but they were besties

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MJeff posted:

It's weird, man.

I mean the simple answer is that people do have a limit on how much "HEY EVERYONE, LIKE THIS PERSON" rocket-pack booking they can receive before pushing back, and Britt going over potentially would have tripped that. So instead they have Rosa win in a match that that largely exists to put over Britt otherwise while having no real stakes, and everyone watching is happy: right person won, but man, did you see Britt?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean the simple answer is that people do have a limit on how much "HEY EVERYONE, LIKE THIS PERSON" rocket-pack booking they can receive before pushing back, and Britt going over potentially would have tripped that. So instead they have Rosa win in a match that that largely exists to put over Britt otherwise while having no real stakes, and everyone watching is happy: right person won, but man, did you see Britt?

Are you more upset that they did that or that it worked?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Seat retreat?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

honestly you just seem mad that people like britt baker

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Overall really enjoyed the show. Cody stunk and that match was a real snooze fest.

I do wish they had done more for Shida in her loss. Like others have said, it's a bummer that her reign was almost entirely crowdless and she didn't get to have these big moments/matches. It feels like she could be reset to just another person in the division until she happens upon a title match again since AEW doesn't do guaranteed rematches, and that stinks.

I dunno. I don't know if a double turn like others suggested would have been the best move, but it would have given Shida more oomph in the loss than she got this way.

Probably over thinking it and have general uncertainty about the women's division since AEW hasn't necessarily earned my "wait and see" trust with the division just yet. They've had good spurts, but it feels like it lacks the same long-term consistency as the other divisions/belts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ganso Bomb posted:

I do wish they had done more for Shida in her loss.

DO YA?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

karmicknight posted:

It's almost like Thunder Rosa has some sort of massive weight, controlled by a Rock and Roll Baron, placed around her neck that prevents her from receiving a full and strong push from AEW in any real sense.

God dammit Ricky Morton!