Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

koshmar posted:

I’d be willing to go out on a limb and say that there are Christians who think Jesus literally put quill to paper and wrote the Bible, in English.

There are also atheists who think this is what Christians think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Paladinus posted:

There are also atheists who think this is what Christians think.

Given that there are christians who think this they're correct, right?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Everyone knows that the only correct version of the bible is the King James Version. All previous and subsequent versions are heretical as the King James Bible was specifically divinely inspired and fixed the errors of the original writers to make the work fully in line with the true word of the LORD free from Papist revision and Greek error.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Moon Monster posted:

Given that there are christians who think this they're correct, right?

Let's just say there are Christians who think there are atheists who think that's what Christians think.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I AM a Greek Error

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

freeedr posted:

I AM a Greek Error

LOVED you in Zelda 2.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Everyone knows that the only correct version of the bible is the King James Version. All previous and subsequent versions are heretical as the King James Bible was specifically divinely inspired and fixed the errors of the original writers to make the work fully in line with the true word of the LORD free from Papist revision and Greek error.

Jesus and King James up all hours, chain smoking and knocking the Bible out on a 50's typewriter in a dingy hotel room.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Elissimpark posted:

Jesus and King James up all hours, chain smoking and knocking the Bible out on a 50's typewriter in a dingy hotel room.

Harlan Ellison told the story of Hubbard writing his Scientology poo poo on a radio show once and it was basically this but with more amphetamines. Dude locked himself in a hotel room with a roll of butcher paper feeding into the typewriter and a ton of speed.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Lmao

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Johnny Aztec posted:

LOVED you in Zelda 2.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Now that's a good cosplay.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Did they really peace bond the sign, lol?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The bible was ruined when they changed "Apocalypse" to "Revelations"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Paladinus posted:

Let's just say there are Christians who think

Uh, I think you'll find that this isn't true :agesilaus:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

FreudianSlippers posted:

These people have a website and its WILD

https://av1611.org/

THE SATANIC ROOTS OF ROCK
https://www.av1611.org/othpubls/roots.html

Proof Of Hell
https://www.av1611.org/hell_proof.html

oh and a new one
Is the Covid Vaccine the Mark of the Beast?
https://www.av1611.org/666/covid_vaccine_666.html

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

koshmar posted:

I’d be willing to go out on a limb and say that there are Christians who think Jesus literally put quill to paper and wrote the Bible, in English.

One of them was the founder of Mormonism, and quills and ink came up in the "lost" book he "found" despite quills not being invented for several more centuries. But they're what ye olde writers used, so there!

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

oh and a new one
Is the Covid Vaccine the Mark of the Beast?
https://www.av1611.org/666/covid_vaccine_666.html

But they actually say it's not!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Harlan Ellison told the story of Hubbard writing his Scientology poo poo on a radio show once and it was basically this but with more amphetamines. Dude locked himself in a hotel room with a roll of butcher paper feeding into the typewriter and a ton of speed.

Jack Kerouac would be proud.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

koshmar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIFTHoc-H0

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The bible was ruined when they changed "Apocalypse" to "Revelations"

maybe [macbain, staring stone faced ahead, his back against a brick wall] but they mean the same thing, bub.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

bike tory posted:

Jack Kerouac would be proud.
They were probably on comparable amounts of amphetamine

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

maybe [macbain, staring stone faced ahead, his back against a brick wall] but they mean the same thing, bub.

I know but Apocalypse is cooler

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Same method as Philip K Dick used to write. Two handfuls of amphetamine pills, one handfull of valium, 48 hours at the typewriter, 24 hours of sleep. Repeat for corrections/revisions if necessary.

And that's how you write 11 books in a year

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

bike tory posted:

the idea is that God, who is also Jesus, wrote the Bible in the sense that it's his word completely, not in the sense that Jesus literally sat down with a pen and wrote down the bible

Seems like a bit of a stretch to make it fit. So I guess he didn't literally sit down and write out the bible, but instead figuratively wrote it? Still doesn't make sense.

Sorry I'm not trying to HURRATHEISM derail, I'm just laughing at the ridiculous movie. The no speeko greeko guy is speaking about a specific book that jesus already knows about writing and it really seems like he's referring to jesus having directly written it. The dialog wasn't "hey that book you wrote in the future using a few different dudes is real popular". Jesus didn't indicate he had any knowledge of the future, but was familiar with the book greeko said he wrote.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Fattest PI posted:

Seems like a bit of a stretch to make it fit. So I guess he didn't literally sit down and write out the bible, but instead figuratively wrote it? Still doesn't make sense.

Sorry I'm not trying to HURRATHEISM derail, I'm just laughing at the ridiculous movie. The no speeko greeko guy is speaking about a specific book that jesus already knows about writing and it really seems like he's referring to jesus having directly written it. The dialog wasn't "hey that book you wrote in the future using a few different dudes is real popular". Jesus didn't indicate he had any knowledge of the future, but was familiar with the book greeko said he wrote.

Yeah that's dumb as hell, most of the new testament is understood to have been written like 10+ years after Jesus's death, it literally didn't exist in 33 AD

Still I don't think the cognitive dissonance is that bad, if you think in the mindset that Jesus is literally god. The Bible is his book, so it makes sense to talk about it that way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bike tory posted:

Yeah that's dumb as hell, most of the new testament is understood to have been written like 10+ years after Jesus's death, it literally didn't exist in 33 AD

Still I don't think the cognitive dissonance is that bad, if you think in the mindset that Jesus is literally god. The Bible is his book, so it makes sense to talk about it that way.
The trinity does not work that way!

Need a bible thumping Morbo emote, this is coming up strangely often in PYF Pictures.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

bike tory posted:

Plus almost every book starts with something like “Johns letter to the X church” or lists it’s origin

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
What does LeBron James have to do with any of this?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

zedprime posted:

If there's one thing everyone can agree on it's how the trinity works.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

jesus, naked, sweating profusely at 3AM, hammering out the new testament on a mechanical typewriter hooked up to an enormous scroll of papyrus

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chard posted:

jesus, naked, sweating profusely at 3AM, hammering out the new testament on a mechanical typewriter hooked up to an enormous scroll of papyrus
His lesser known power of turning salt into meth

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/sludge_worm/status/1399417276915355655?s=19

I think this means that his career is currently going better than De Niro's.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

his methage was powerful

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I hope Jodie Foster liked and subscribed.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I hope Jodie Foster liked and subscribed.

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull

koshmar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRegUuydEUg

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zedprime posted:

Need a bible thumping Morbo emote, this is coming up strangely often in PYF Pictures.

Nobody knows how the trinity works!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
We know how 2 of the 3 work no problem, it's the holy gost no one's exactly clear on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Who What Now posted:

Nobody knows how the trinity works!
:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

The story of Scientology is all sorts of hosed up fascinating. My understanding is that Hubbard financed his early Scientology stuff with money he pinched from Jack Parsons (rocket engineer and occultist, a job description you don't see much these days):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons_(rocket_engineer)#L._Ron_Hubbard_and_the_Babalon_Working:_1945%E2%80%931946