Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

BitBasher posted:

Isn't this incredibly low, even as fiction? I mean a real carrier has a crew of like 6,000 all in and the Bengal is about the same size?

Each shift would be like 200 ish total people actually working?

This leads to questions like: If so much is automated and doesn't need people then why the gently caress isn't it much, much smaller?

I like this question and honestly I have no good answer. I'm going to guess it's something to do with Crobbert's calcified brain and having used that exact number in a previous wing commander game. It is obviously nothing to do with engine limitations or any expectation about how they'd actually implement it, since they clearly didn't have any plans that far out in 2011 when he cooked this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sarsapariller posted:

I like this question and honestly I have no good answer. I'm going to guess it's something to do with Crobbert's calcified brain and having used that exact number in a previous wing commander game. It is obviously nothing to do with engine limitations or any expectation about how they'd actually implement it, since they clearly didn't have any plans that far out in 2011 when he cooked this up.

I would expect it's a pure lore thing and just having not thought it out just like that one popular spaceship book series where someone pointed out that the ships dimensions and masses as written are less dense in total then actual breathable oxygen.

IIRC the Bengal or one of the smaller capital ships had the same issue where they were, by the written dimensions and mass, about as dense as smoke in total. I can't remember what ship it was, it was long ago when I still had money in the game. I just remember it was one of the capitals, Bengal or Idris.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/abCWIRq.mp4

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

trucutru posted:

1 captain, ~100 commandos, ~600 floor moppers. Seems about right to me, it's the future so you don't need as many people cleaning the toilets.

The most-eaten food is hot dogs, for god's sake. You're going to need more people cleaning toilets, if anything.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but some game called Farsite is doing NFT space MMO thing, and I got this stupid ad on facebook

https://twitter.com/farsite_online/status/1389291224356491273

Store opens in 7 hours so get em while they're hot. Questions: how loving stupid will this be, and how long until Chris Roberts sees this and gets a massive boner

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

I feel like Roberts is too old school for crypto/NFTs.

And to be fair his JPEG monetization strategy works fine even without crypto.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

I have extremely bad news for you about roughly 200 million of your fellow Americans
People crowdfunding based on "Wouldn't it be cool" is how you get Star Citizen. People who just want to buy interesting games are how you get... games.

Yep which is why it almost always gets filtered out in development they find out you can't do it in a way that works and is fun and have to release a game so idea goes in the bin (or just gets released as a unfun game) and then comes back as a experimental mod. Then SC crowd funding happened.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

skeletors_condom posted:

I can't imagine he's the brains behind the insanely brilliant marketing. And whoever is behind it is bound to realise how much money commandos would be desperate to pay for their only-one-in-the-world paint schemes or variants (random cosmetic antennas/spoilers/whatevers) for a lot less effort than constantly pushing out new ship models. I mean, look at the unhappy owner a few posts above, who is clearly disgusted by other people being allowed to own the same ship as him!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

DigitalPenny posted:

It's not cool to push a blazing fighter of the edge with a bulldozer on a space dingy.

Also you need massive mess halls and room to park your dozer. Don't forget the dozer they are going sell is huge.

The dozer has its own kitchen, toilet, rec room and two bedrooms. The upmarket dozer even comes with a spa.

Infact maybe crobbler is counting the butler service on the dozer as dozer crew and not Carrier crew and that's why the crew number seams so low.

Suddenly I feel the need to play a game centered around you living in a giant dozer. Where do I pledge?

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Not sure if anyone posted this yet but some game called Farsite is doing NFT space MMO thing, and I got this stupid ad on facebook

Store opens in 7 hours so get em while they're hot. Questions: how loving stupid will this be, and how long until Chris Roberts sees this and gets a massive boner

I can't wait to own NFT of a most generic spaceship that looks like it came out of procedural spaceship generator. This will make tons of money

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Wow, that looks so poo poo. Their twitter account is just buy crates crates crates crates. Who can possibly become interested in something so obviously focused on monetization?

What's the point of unique NFT ships in RTS? Won't they produce tons of same units like in other RTS games?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

What's the point of unique NFT ships in RTS? Won't they produce tons of same units like in other RTS games?

$2,000 for Jim Raynor.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Must be an equinox.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Gravity Goo comes in cones now?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Sarsapariller posted:

I have extremely bad news for you about roughly 200 million of your fellow Americans

Hah, I'm not american! :colbert:

I mostly stand by what I said although of course sub-human is hyperbole.
I agree that many (most?) people are in this struggle for accumulation of wealth and exclusivity because it's a difficult urge to deny the human brain when we've been in such societies for thousands of years.
It's already a bad situation but there is a certain large portion of modern society that takes it to such an extreme that it becomes intolerable.

I have no respect for someone that would deny aid to someone because they didn't "earn" it. Getting upset at someone being able to access a spaceship in a game made for upper-middle-class gamedads is not in the same stratosphere of course, but it does seem to be at a higher level of pettiness, if not malice.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are those cold burritos or hot ice cream?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

FishMcCool posted:

I can't imagine he's the brains behind the insanely brilliant marketing. And whoever is behind it is bound to realise how much money commandos would be desperate to pay for their only-one-in-the-world paint schemes or variants (random cosmetic antennas/spoilers/whatevers) for a lot less effort than constantly pushing out new ship models. I mean, look at the unhappy owner a few posts above, who is clearly disgusted by other people being allowed to own the same ship as him!

The real irony is that they can achieve the "only-one-in-the-world" JPEG without using crypto/NFTs/blockchain/etc. A regular DB would work just fine. :boom:

Would probably be a lot easier to manage too.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

Ice-cream burritos, space chimichanga style

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

skeletors_condom posted:

It's actually kinda funny. Just like every other problem that Bitcoin/the blockchain has tried to attach itself to, fleecing nerds with imaginary space ships is more efficient without the blockchain.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

L. Ron Hoover posted:

I like how all “gameplay” videos are just assets standing/flying around. What a blatant scam.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

skeletors_condom posted:

The real irony is that they can achieve the "only-one-in-the-world" JPEG without using crypto/NFTs/blockchain/etc. A regular DB would work just fine. :boom:

Would probably be a lot easier to manage too.

But using NFT or blockchain would really help to sell it as if CIG needed that. Of course in true CIG fashion, they don't actually have to implement it, just claim they did (and put few more gigs to strctzrn.log saying stuff about NFT or some poo poo)

JugbandDude posted:

I like how all “gameplay” videos are just assets standing/flying around. What a blatant scam.

They've learned from the best :trustme:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JugbandDude posted:

Let me tell you about my MMO RTS RPG MOBA FPS. First you acquire a DeFi NFT on our dApp with DLT PoA/PoW/PoS hybrid SEGWIT BC in a ATH scenario for your DAO

Then you get nothing.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

I hope they used procedural technology to keep the dimples in the scoops randomized, and there better be at least 10k polys in each square of the waffle cones. That's how you know Chris Roberts is a visionary.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

UnknownTarget posted:

3) Cliff Blezinki's talent for gameplay development.

lmao what? the jazz jackrabbit jackass is your go-to for development talent?! Am i missing something here, dude's main claim to fame are those incredibly lovely, ugly, and boring Gears of War games

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Khanstant posted:

lmao what? the jazz jackrabbit jackass is your go-to for development talent?! Am i missing something here, dude's main claim to fame are those incredibly lovely, ugly, and boring Gears of War games

I mean, CliffyB is a bit of a joke of a human being and coasted on his 90s cred for over a decade without doing anything new worth noting, but the dude was the designer on Unreal and Unreal Tournament. That's not nothing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Whomever (Akiman) designed Chun Li's tights for gameplay development.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

commando in tophat posted:

But using NFT or blockchain would really help to sell it as if CIG needed that. Of course in true CIG fashion, they don't actually have to implement it, just claim they did (and put few more gigs to strctzrn.log saying stuff about NFT or some poo poo)
They've learned from the best :trustme:

to be fair, the bar for "implementing" NFTs is buried under ground. most of those sites just post to Etherium saying "commando in a top hat is the sole and exclusive owner of the imae at [link to image on AWS server]", and that is the full extent of it.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Well this is post is old as gently caress, but I have to say that that dogs eyes definitely have some impressive fidelity going on.

:parp:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

Buying ships is pointless unless your reason is saving the grind (which is trivial) or supporting the game. But let's be honest if you weren't getting a ship and cool factor for that price you wouldn't just donate money to CiG, well very few would

I'm glad they are starting to see the great fanbase implosion in the hypothetical theoretical run-up to any kind of actual release. Once the game is out for sale, they'll either need to decide whether to appease the whales who have made them far more money selling them the idea of ships with the underlying scent of scarcity than they ever could with a legitimate product -- or they can appease the public and non-whales who expect a lot more than empty promises and expect to be able to get any ship in-game without spending any more money ever again and who will certainly be more psychologically able to criticize the game without sunkcost mindsets. Seems like the former is the more sensible option, the people who would be up in arms about the p2w poo poo are the people who were gonna slam the game for being lovely anyway and the people who would, at most, throw 50 bucks for the one-time purchase.

This project already makes more money than some of the most incredibly successful videogames, it's not going to ever make more by being a legit product, given how poo poo the product's intended design and implementation are.

i looked up the highest grossing games and i was really surprised by a lot of the list, some of those I hadn't heard of look bad even but win by sheer volume of popularity abroad.

I do love that the mark to beat in the end is still Pac-Man.

You'll cowards will never make a game better than Pac-Man.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

I'm glad they are starting to see the great fanbase implosion in the hypothetical theoretical run-up to any kind of actual release. Once the game is out for sale, they'll either need to decide whether to appease the whales who have made them far more money selling them the idea of ships with the underlying scent of scarcity than they ever could with a legitimate product -- or they can appease the public and non-whales who expect a lot more than empty promises and expect to be able to get any ship in-game without spending any more money ever again and who will certainly be more psychologically able to criticize the game without sunkcost mindsets. Seems like the former is the more sensible option, the people who would be up in arms about the p2w poo poo are the people who were gonna slam the game for being lovely anyway and the people who would, at most, throw 50 bucks for the one-time purchase.

This project already makes more money than some of the most incredibly successful videogames, it's not going to ever make more by being a legit product, given how poo poo the product's intended design and implementation are.

i looked up the highest grossing games and i was really surprised by a lot of the list, some of those I hadn't heard of look bad even but win by sheer volume of popularity abroad.

I do love that the mark to beat in the end is still Pac-Man.

You'll cowards will never make a game better than Pac-Man.

Yeah, those games put into context what "really successful" means and that list is not even complete since some of the most extremely successful F2P games do not publish their earnings. Like, CIG has made 300 million or whatever but that is basically 2 months of good gacha action for some games.

(And the mark to beat is actually Pokemon, nothing is even close to Pokemon but since it's a franchise each individual game isn't that huge)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 31, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Isn't this incredibly low, even as fiction? I mean a real carrier has a crew of like 6,000 all in and the Bengal is about the same size?

Each shift would be like 200 ish total people actually working?

This leads to questions like: If so much is automated and doesn't need people then why the gently caress isn't it much, much smaller?

Kinda depends on who you count as crew. A Nimitz class is around 6000 like you say including aircrew. The Gerald Ford class which followed it is listed at 2600. The RN Prince of Wales class operates with a crew of 679 going up to 1600 with aircrews etc. I could accept a crew of 500 or so in the far future, excluding aircrews.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Imagined posted:

I mean, CliffyB is a bit of a joke of a human being and coasted on his 90s cred for over a decade without doing anything new worth noting, but the dude was the designer on Unreal and Unreal Tournament. That's not nothing.

If you asked me which boomer shooter big name would turn out to be the least awful person in 2021 I would not have guessed correctly so he has once again made me his bitch

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Kinda depends on who you count as crew. A Nimitz class is around 6000 like you say including aircrew. The Gerald Ford class which followed it is listed at 2600. The RN Prince of Wales class operates with a crew of 679 going up to 1600 with aircrews etc. I could accept a crew of 500 or so in the far future, excluding aircrews.

From what I can see the two carriers aren't remotely comparable? The prince of Wales is an STOVL carrier, it has no catapults and can operate only Short/Vertical take off craft and can only recover planes the same way, as it has no cable arrest landing system. It also can carry only half the fixed wing aircraft. In short, it's kind of a dramatically inferior carrier compared to the Gerald R Ford.

If that's the basis for the pride of the fleet Bengal then that's pretty funny all by itself, not the least of which being for the reason that in the US we don't even classify STOVL boats as carriers. We in the US class them as amphibious assault ships, they aren't even carriers to us.

That's what the Bonhomme Richard was, the ship that burned up in a fire in San Diego last year because of an uncontrolled fire. No news reports called it a carrier at all, it was just the Amphibious Assault Ship Bonhomme Richard.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BitBasher posted:

From what I can see the two carriers aren't remotely comparable? The prince of Wales is an STOVL carrier, it has no catapults and can operate only Short/Vertical take off craft and can only recover planes the same way, as it has no cable arrest landing system. It also can carry only half the fixed wing aircraft. In short, it's kind of a dramatically inferior carrier compared to the Gerald R Ford.

If that's the basis for the pride of the fleet Bengal then that's pretty funny all by itself, not the least of which being for the reason that in the US we don't even classify STOVL boats as carriers. We in the US class them as amphibious assault ships, they aren't even carriers to us.

That's what the Bonhomme Richard was, the ship that burned up in a fire in San Diego last year because of an uncontrolled fire. No news reports called it a carrier at all, it was just the Amphibious Assault Ship Bonhomme Richard.

A Bengal carrier is a freaking kilometer long and has its very own monorail (monorail! monorail!) station that it's totally there you guys! players even got frustrated walking around it. It can fit a goddamn Idris inside. (Buy another Idris for you Bagel you poors!)

So it's a teeny-tiny bit bigger than a Prince of Wales or Gerald F carrier.

quote:

Trivia

Traditionally, Bengal-class carriers are named after big cats.[6]
Bengal is the first capital ship shown in Star Citizen back in the original Kickstarter campaign.[7]
Seven artists are on board for it's construction and development since the time of R&D.[5]
An Idris can be fit in the hangar of the Bengal practically, but can't fly it in.[5]
The main turret of the Bengal is slightly smaller than the Idris.[5]
The interior is around three or four times the size of a Battlefield 4 map.[5]
The Bengal was teased on May 1, 2021 on the Star Citizen Twitter with an image of a Bengal cat inside a backpack carrier.[8] The ship then appeared during the 2951 Invictus Launch Week as part of the UEE navy fleet flying around the Stanton system.
In internal playtesting, players got frustrated traversing the ship. Elevators and a subdeck monorail were added as a solution. It runs from one side of the flight deck to the other. It can be used to transport cargo and personnel.[9]
The Bengal carrier is sometimes nicknamed as the Bagel carrier by the community.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's such a shame that you cannot fly your Idris inside a Bengal. A shame!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aramoro posted:

Not when you're Croberts and you can only imagine things as WWII in space though. Gotta have individual gunners for each gun!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Not when you're Croberts and you can only imagine things as WWII in space though. Gotta have individual gunners for each gun!

The B29 had remote computer operated turrets in 1944 though? Gunners could even automatically take over any other turrets from the gunnery stations in the plane.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 31, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BitBasher posted:

And neither is comparable to a space going capital ship? They're all enormous ships which can run on relatively small crews thanks to automated processes. You'd have to assume a spaceship would be even more automated. The Nimitz figure includes aircrew which inflates the number a lot over the actual ship's crew.

Except for the Crobbers obsession with WW2 and each turret is manually crewed for some insane reason.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BitBasher posted:

The B29 had remote computer operated turrets in 1944 though? Gunners could even automatically take over any other turrets from the gunnery stations in the plane.

So what you're saying is that Croberts also doesn't understand WWII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
imagine every modern navy ship's CIWS as a manned turret :laffo: