Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've only just now fully realized that L and 2x2 rooms recharge active items by 2 pips, which has been a thing since freaking Afterbirth. I think I've sorta subconsciously known it was a thing for my active to inexplicably charge twice but I hadn't tried actually investigating it until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What character would I have the easiest time beating Mega Satan with for the first time? he's the only final boss I haven't killed in the pre repentance stuff and he intimidates me

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sharkitten posted:

What character would I have the easiest time beating Mega Satan with for the first time? he's the only final boss I haven't killed in the pre repentance stuff and he intimidates me

Isaac is probably the most powerful non-repentance character so him I guess. If you've taken down Hush and Delirium Mega Satan should be a walk in the park by comparison.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Azazel is amazel for early game, and sometimes you just need a little boost in the early game to get a deadly run going.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Sharkitten posted:

Tainted Cain if you have the patience. Otherwise Isaac. Tainted Isaac and Apollyon are also strong contenders.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

IMO regular Cain is also good, since you can just slam pills and open any gold chests you find.

Also Cain > Isaac for me if I don't want to waste time making best use of the d6, but otherwise Isaac is probably the best choice.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sharkitten posted:

this took me a while to realize, but if you clear the chest/the dark room and you got the two key pieces previously you can just backtrack to the door to fight him. no need to try to do a dedicated run for it at all

i'd get in the habit of picking up the keys on runs anyway since angel rooms are great now and every key piece you pick up boosts your angel room chance

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I was gonna do a true ending on Eden and unlock tainted Eden and it was going amazing even got Uranus, so I was just freezing every enemy I shot. I had the crystal ball pumping out soul hearts.
Then the tick trinket spawned on top of me so I could no longer pick up the cracked key. Then I started taking stupid damage. Then I finished it off by running into two mimics in a row and dying on the way back up.

Some of those mimics are extremely sneaky and don't throw their stupid spikes out until the last second.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

flatluigi posted:

this took me a while to realize, but if you clear the chest/the dark room and you got the two key pieces previously you can just backtrack to the door to fight him. no need to try to do a dedicated run for it at all

i'd get in the habit of picking up the keys on runs anyway since angel rooms are great now and every key piece you pick up boosts your angel room chance

any time you have a heart-generating build it's worth using sacrifice rooms to get the key. you'll get 7 hearts back 50% of the time anyway and have a shot at an angel room item, as well as a free teleport to the devil/angel room of the floor. honestly as somebody who hadn't really played afterbirth or ab+, sacrifice rooms being good is crazy. but they are, and getting to mega satan on a tanky build is basically guaranteed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Fattest PI posted:

I was gonna do a true ending on Eden and unlock tainted Eden and it was going amazing even got Uranus, so I was just freezing every enemy I shot. I had the crystal ball pumping out soul hearts.
Then the tick trinket spawned on top of me so I could no longer pick up the cracked key. Then I started taking stupid damage. Then I finished it off by running into two mimics in a row and dying on the way back up.

Some of those mimics are extremely sneaky and don't throw their stupid spikes out until the last second.
You can hold the tick and cracked key. Cracked key is a consumable (like a card/rune), tick is a trinket.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

flatluigi posted:

Also if you find Dad's key, Mr. ME!, or a Get out of Jail Free card they can open the Mega Satan door for you.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

No Wave posted:

You can hold the tick and cracked key. Cracked key is a consumable (like a card/rune), tick is a trinket.

Hahaha oh poo poo you're right I guess I had some wires crossed. I was so rattled about it it definitely contributed to my loss too

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
T. Eden is pain. I was this close to finishing the goddamn Boss Rush and the Cursed Eye came up in the reroll, and I wound up teleported out.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Was doing some Keeper runs and had a couple of good ones with silly builds I coulda handled Mega Satan with. First run I got screwed out of my second Angel room by an XL floor.

The second run I was waffling between Mega Satan and a Beast run and slapped my polaroid into the Home path while I thought about. Decided I'd do Mega Satan, got screwed by lack of Angel Rooms again through Womb, shrugged and thought "ah well, I'll just enjoy the silliness I get out of my Chest run. Let's kill Isaac, jump in the chest and- oh. Oooooh. Whoops." Dumbass me forgot you need the Polaroid lol.

If anyone wants a Polyphemus run from Basement 1 here's the seed: D8KC ZZ2B. You also get a floor with your choice of Magic Fingers and Sharp Straw if you want to make use of that silliness. Also if you pick up the Membership Card in one shop one of the VIP shops has Holy Light and 9 Volt.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Isaac is probably the most powerful non-repentance character so him I guess. If you've taken down Hush and Delirium Mega Satan should be a walk in the park by comparison.

You'd think but I guess I just haven't gotten a god run where I also get both key pieces, because I'm definitely having more trouble with megs

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If you have Maggy's full health pill unlocked, she's great for getting a strong start. Reset for a Sacrifice room near the beginning. Use her Yum Heart for a free hit. Then full health when her HP gets low. Repeat until you get an Angel Item setup you like. And if you find more hearts you can fight the angels with it getting both key pieces right off the bat and starting off the game super strong. That should secure a good Mega Satan run.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Araxxor posted:

If you have Maggy's full health pill unlocked, she's great for getting a strong start. Reset for a Sacrifice room near the beginning. Use her Yum Heart for a free hit. Then full health when her HP gets low. Repeat until you get an Angel Item setup you like. And if you find more hearts you can fight the angels with it getting both key pieces right off the bat and starting off the game super strong. That should secure a good Mega Satan run.

I don't know if they've changed something in Repentance but I had a dreadfully hard time farming sac rooms with Maggy on B1.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Sharkitten posted:

It's honestly much more important what items you have while fighting Mega Satan than which character you are. If you can find a Psy Fly or a Lost Contact the bullet hell parts of the fight are pretty trivial. If you've beaten Hush and Delirium Mega Satan shouldn't intimidate you at all. He is much easier than either of them. If you've never fought him before bring some healing item like the Sun card or a full health pill, it's easy to take a lot of damage when you're not used to his patterns.

I spent all drat day today beating Mother with Tainted Lost and finally, finally got the kill. It only took two attempts that actually made it to the Corpse. Most of my runs that looked very promising ended early to some stupid bullshit, including:

-Spiked chest spawned on top of me after clearing a Boss challenge room
-Spikes came out of a chest that then hit me even though I swear I stopped far enough away
-Red poop created and destroyed by champion Mega Fatty (so I didn't even know it was there) regrew on top of me when I went to pick up the boss item
-Toxic Shock killed an entire 2x2 room, including some offscreen flies that shoot blood lasers when they die
-Walked into a room in the Ashpit from the right and a floating skeleton ghost also spawned in from the right
-A spider loving clipped through two diagonal rocks to come get me
-I killed one of those ghosts that throws buckets at you, causing him to drop his bucket, which had some enemy tears that killed me

I really enjoy playing as the Tainted Lost but gently caress it can be frustrating when you're actually trying to unlock something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The wiki says the donation machine in Greedier mode only has a 1% max chance to jam with each coin but I’m not sure I believe that.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Crackbone posted:

I don't know if they've changed something in Repentance but I had a dreadfully hard time farming sac rooms with Maggy on B1.

Maggy's got a Full Health pill instead of a Speed Up in repentance. Combined with yum heart, it gives her enough hp to do seven plays on a sacrifice room.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Maggy's got a Full Health pill instead of a Speed Up in repentance. Combined with yum heart, it gives her enough hp to do seven plays on a sacrifice room.

I know, I’m saying the good hits (angel room, angel item) were not paying out the last time I tried to sac room farm with Maggy. It could have been bad luck but missing a couple dozen 33% chances seems unlikely.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

IMJack posted:

T. Eden is pain. I was this close to finishing the goddamn Boss Rush and the Cursed Eye came up in the reroll, and I wound up teleported out.

It's not the only pool Cursed Eye is in, but never pick up curse room/red chest items as Tainted Eden. The odds of getting Dead Cat or Cursed Eye on any given reroll become huge.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I never ever pick up Mom's Pearl because I can't tell the difference between it and Cursed Eye. Not worth it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pretty sure they’re literally the same sprite

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mom's Pearl is a good pickup, so it's worth figuring out, imo.

Cursed Eye is an item, Mom's Pearl is a trinket, so Cursed Eye will ALWAYS have either a treasure chest or item pedestal. Mom's Pearl just lays on the floor.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Crackbone posted:

I know, I’m saying the good hits (angel room, angel item) were not paying out the last time I tried to sac room farm with Maggy. It could have been bad luck but missing a couple dozen 33% chances seems unlikely.

Ultimately that averages out to about a 55.11% chance to get 1 Angel Room item. Getting 2 Angel Room items is a 10.89% chance.

And getting a great loadout can take a bit on top of that. Maggy can just abuse Sacrifice Rooms from the get-go, but even then it can take more resets on top of that to get a loadout you're satisfied with.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

when you finally get a decent J&E run going and just gently caress up and die to Mom because you get separated and you don't pay any attention to esau's health bar in all the chaos

and they're both holding a Sun card :negative:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 1, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

There's no feeling quite like starting a level, charging into the adjacent curse room, slamming into the red chest, seeing Cursed Eye, charging right back out, and then doing a jerk-stop 180 to go back inside because you realize you picked up Black Candle last floor and that synergy is a thing.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://mudeth.bandcamp.com/album/antibirth-ost The full endeavoring now, IIRC next he's got to actually sit down and go through Repentance.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://mudeth.bandcamp.com/album/antibirth-ost The full endeavoring now, IIRC next he's got to actually sit down and go through Repentance.

oh thank god yes

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
What is the in-game item reference mod of choice? Steam Workshop is not being helpful.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

IMJack posted:

What is the in-game item reference mod of choice? Steam Workshop is not being helpful.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836319872 is the one that I use, can also show what consumables and trinkets do. It's a little off at times because it took things from platgod which itself wasn't always accurate, see the "lowers stats" myth about rock bottom.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

RatHat posted:

The wiki says the donation machine in Greedier mode only has a 1% max chance to jam with each coin but I’m not sure I believe that.
As an aside if you have the detailed stats on it shows the jam probability for your current run.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finally a good T. Keeper run. I was worried that Tech X and Hemolachria would be a bad combo and I'm very happy to have been wrong.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I had an excellent Tainted Bethany run that appears to have been completely ruined by Trisagion and The Parasite. I was all geared up to beat Mega Satan, but then the game froze during the actual fight and now if I try to continue the run the game just crashes. This is the closest I've ever gotten to having this kind of Tainted Bethany run and now this poo poo of piece Trisagion has taken it from me.

:negative:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

lol beating Mega Satan on a victory lap doesn't count :smith:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

nothing does op

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You do need to do 3 victory laps to unlock a secret. I forget which one.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

There was a bug around when Afterbirth+ came out where reruns would unlock things as long as you quit the game and continued first. I probably wouldn't have a full keeper post-it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Seems like best place to post this

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1399895333136568322?s=20

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/isaacfoursouls/the-binding-of-isaac-4-souls-requiem?ref=c4h9yq&token=b24cb8e6

2.7 million at the moment

Already unlocked these

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 2, 2021