Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I knew it! Bloomberg News and its ilk are the enemy of mankind! They want us to overpopulate ourselves into a malthusian catastrophe! Well gently caress you turns out fear of climate makes people sensible! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i know i was saying sonic cd is next but there's an sa2 mod that lets you play as the multiplayer exclusive characters in story mode...

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost Recon Wildlands, Far Cry 5, The Division 2, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Watch Dogs: Legion (and others): "Our games are not political, it's bad for business"

Far Cry 6: "Our story is political, actually - please ignore all our other games where we handwave that away"

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/jzZzBMLk8k4XAWgNpXfju/the-politics-of-far-cry-6

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Ah yes, the majority of the earth's population live in squalor and the rest consume every natural resource and pollute the planet to death, but we need a larger labor market so wages can be kept low. Love me some capitalism.

We don't need capitalism for that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe Animal Crossing got snubbed like this.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

She says FNAF is nothing like having a job, but isn't the premise of those games that you're doing night shifts?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Looper posted:

i know i was saying sonic cd is next but there's an sa2 mod that lets you play as the multiplayer exclusive characters in story mode...

Do what's fun

Like reading Archie Comic's Sonic the Hedgehog series until the spectre of Ken Penders knocks on your door late at night.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Grouchio posted:

I knew it! Bloomberg News and its ilk are the enemy of mankind! They want us to overpopulate ourselves into a malthusian catastrophe! Well gently caress you turns out fear of climate makes people sensible! :v:

Fear of climate? More like no money.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah i'm proud... to be a gamer

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wait until she finds out about euro truck simulator

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
This weekend I hung out with some friends for the first time since before covid. It was a gathering of 8 and one of the couples brought some board games. They picked one and taught it to us and we began to play. It quickly became apparent that something wasn't right. Not only had they gotten several of the rules wrong, they had created some house rules that 'just made sense' that completely broke the balance of the game. I didn't worry too much about it because it was a pretty casual hang and they were 'boardgame people' with a big collection. I had to step in once because a rule misunderstanding on their part had created infinite turns for a player.

Anyhow, a big part of the game was a sort of social bargaining. A player would 'attack' and present cards that had a value, let's say 7. It would then go around the table and one by one players could present their own cards with value until either the attack value was beaten or it got back to the attacking player, in which case they won. You could also choose to pass and not present a defensive card if you thought the rest of the table would beat it without you. One of the couple became increasingly upset when people would pass because they 'weren't doing their share' even though this was a competitive game. On my final turn, it was just me and this player between the attacking player, with only a value of 1 remaining, so I passed because the other players only option was to play a card or we all lose. They chose 'We all lose' and then told me it was to 'teach me a lesson'.

Anyways, this is why I'm proposing a new bill to create gamer jail, please vote yes on issue 420.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

no gamer cops at gamer pride, cube

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CubeTheory posted:

This weekend I hung out with some friends for the first time since before covid. It was a gathering of 8 and one of the couples brought some board games. They picked one and taught it to us and we began to play. It quickly became apparent that something wasn't right. Not only had they gotten several of the rules wrong, they had created some house rules that 'just made sense' that completely broke the balance of the game. I didn't worry too much about it because it was a pretty casual hang and they were 'boardgame people' with a big collection. I had to step in once because a rule misunderstanding on their part had created infinite turns for a player.

Anyhow, a big part of the game was a sort of social bargaining. A player would 'attack' and present cards that had a value, let's say 7. It would then go around the table and one by one players could present their own cards with value until either the attack value was beaten or it got back to the attacking player, in which case they won. You could also choose to pass and not present a defensive card if you thought the rest of the table would beat it without you. One of the couple became increasingly upset when people would pass because they 'weren't doing their share' even though this was a competitive game. On my final turn, it was just me and this player between the attacking player, with only a value of 1 remaining, so I passed because the other players only option was to play a card or we all lose. They chose 'We all lose' and then told me it was to 'teach me a lesson'.

Anyways, this is why I'm proposing a new bill to create gamer jail, please vote yes on issue 420.

My friends only play Civ co-op now because my advanced tactics of building four archers and a swordsman and lying about why I have four archers and a swordsman on my border closest to their capital were too much for them

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Simon wanted to leave my island in Animal Crossing, I nearly started sobbing. I told him to not go, so glad in New Horizons, animals won't just leave your island randomly. That was so devastating in New Leaf.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress i cannot imagine myself ever declaring war on an actual friend in Civ, like I’m actually legit upset at the suggestion

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
humans are great at finding reasons to get annoyed at one another.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Civ multiplayer against just friends, seems like an amazing way to lose friendships.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What else am I supposed to do when I see all these gleaming beatiful cities with nary a wall or garrison

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 1, 2021

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Rinkles posted:

"Make up a guy and then get mad at him" is the unofficial tagline of twitter

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Make your own gleaming beautiful cities instead of spending your precious production points on weapons of war

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Make your own gleaming beautiful cities instead of spending your precious production points on weapons of war

Sounds hard

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

We played Codenames with my family this weekend. If you're not familiar with it it's a game where two people say a clue word related to one or more words on a board that you're trying to get your teammates to guess. There's a little plastic stand to hold up the key that shows which words you're trying to get your teammates to guess and my Dad's wife was very very anti plastic stand in a way I found baffling. We got the board set up and I said "oh yeah, isn't there a little stand so both clue givers can see the key card?" and she said "No there's not." Then when my sister got it out of the box she continued "well. it doesn't work, we never use it"

We ended up using it anyhow but mostly I was confused about why she was so against it. That's my story.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Easier than making new friends

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I was going for a symmetrical placement of my cities and roads and all of a sudden one of my friends' borders cuts into one of my planned placements, ruining everything. It's no longer symmetrical!

This means war.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I always get mad at Civ because I NEVER build a military save to defend myself from roaming barbarians and then inevitably some AI player who has done nothing but poo poo out archers for seventy years waltzes over to me and declares war because I did ??????????

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

early aggro is the only way to play civ

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I bought the Necromunda game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mkvltra posted:

For a mid budget game, it looks good

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I'm not as pacifistic as some of you but I don't like competitive multiplayer civ because you tend to just like, lock your friends out of having fun

Like in a lot of competitive games if I kill someone they'll respawning, or the round will end in like a few minutes and they can get back to playing. Civ if I take out someone early it's gonna be hours before the game's over. Not much better if I take over some cities and leave because they'll pretty much be permanently crippled for the rest of the game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arzaac posted:

Yeah I'm not as pacifistic as some of you but I don't like competitive multiplayer civ because you tend to just like, lock your friends out of having fun

Like in a lot of competitive games if I kill someone they'll respawning, or the round will end in like a few minutes and they can get back to playing. Civ if I take out someone early it's gonna be hours before the game's over. Not much better if I take over some cities and leave because they'll pretty much be permanently crippled for the rest of the game.

You should play Dominions 5 where defeating another nation means they're out of a three-month game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Even more fun than early aggression is just rear end in a top hat expansionism, really build way too close to where you'll know they'll want to build next and pre-emptively hog all their best local resources. This only works on the difficulties that don't force you to down a path of building military crap for eras before you can finally stablize enough to work on the cool stuff.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Finally got the platinum for Enter the Gungeon. It's my #1 "I'm too tired or depressed to play anything else" game and it's always a good time.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

There's a reason I don't play competitive games anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arzaac posted:

I miss the vassal system from 3 still. You didn't have to go all in and wipe an ai/player out, they get to stay in the game on a psuedo-team with you, and if they get bigger or you get too weak they can break away and gently caress you up in return

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rinkles posted:

after over a year of not seeing anyone in person but my girlfriend, I'm frankly surprised recent friend hangouts have gone as well as they have

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lots of horny singles out and about right now (I’m guessing)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

mkvltra posted:

Me too! I played the tutorial and had a good time running very fast and killing accurate renditions of WH40k lore art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The Games forum feels a whole lots less Traditional, all of a sudden.