Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 18, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 18, 1999)

Garfield Classic (September 18, 1989)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 5/3-5/43

what

I ... wait, how would ... that doesn't even make sense...

Okay, fine. It's 1943, everything has to have Nazis in it. Roll with it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
That old Arlo and Janice is so wholesome.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 18, 1999)

100% about fuckin'

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 5/3-5/43

what

This is completely bonkers. I am here for this.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Well, we know what the Sunday strip will be now.

quote:

COVIDshaft

There's an AFI theater near me, lovely building, great theater space, and while they've been closed for physical showings for the last year, they had a mix of Classic/Vintage films and more modern stuff. They'd run 70mm film versions of Tarantino films or the Final Cut of Alien, and then the next week there'd be a classic Russian film festival.

These sad movie dorks keep showing Radio Ranch (seriously, Batiuk apparently only can think of a single film), and they're wunwilling to come up with an alternate solution to get butts in seats. This is aside from the incredible tone deafness around COVID-19.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Mikl posted:

This is completely bonkers. I am here for this.

I've had fever dreams that were more coherent than the plotting of this strip

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some Guy TT posted:

Well great now I'm confused about which one Captain America is having sex with. Although on second thought, maybe I have already thought way too much about this.

It's very simple. If it's the comics, he's loving Sharon. In the movies, Peggy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Some Guy TT posted:

Hey now. Cheer Up Boss Dharma is basically Korean Dilbert, and I definitely get the bare minimum praise necessary to keep translating them.

fwiw Boss Dharma is on the list of comics I never ever skip, so thank you for your service

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Green Intern posted:

These sad movie dorks keep showing Radio Ranch (seriously, Batiuk apparently only can think of a single film)

Now I'm just wondering why like, the one film Batiuk is using here is something literally older than the US President and is far from being a timeless film. Like I get Batiuk being an old dude with a very narrow sense of nostalgia but he wasn't even alive when that was in theaters.

But also yeah even if you're going to run old stuff you at least need enough of a mix of newer or well-known things to draw some attention so people know the place exists.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 08, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Jul. 08, 1945)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 8/1-3/46

I don't know how I feel about the storyline, but this amazing butch woman named Hank has me captivated :allears: .

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chubby kid and known eats-everything kid have only heard of 3 pizza meats

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man I need to stop not posting comics over the weekend. I'm never going to keep a top-ten posters with this attitude!

The Dinette Set enjoys the long weekend.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

One of the all-time greats

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (June 24, 1993)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Hal Foster was a master of just barely not showing a decapitation.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (June 24, 1993)

This better be leading up to Rane getting his comeuppance...

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 1, 2021

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I finally got around to reading The Vision and had to make this:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 5/3-5/43

what

Plans for the Destruction of the City:
  • Get lots of bombs
  • Drop them on city

F Minus

Mark Trail

I think the suggestion of other posters here that "I needed a ride" is a much simpler and therefore better excuse than this.

Mary Worth

He's drinking coffee at night because he doesn't know what time it is.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Sluggy Funnyonlineanimals

I ended up shelling out little a money for ComicsKingdom so I could check what was posted on the site and cross-reference it with what was posted so far because the independent FOA site is getting close to its end.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 1, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

The Good Innvandrer

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

holy hell val took his head clean off!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Golden Tail

Lunch

One thing that throws me off with Lunch is that they're pretty formal using last names pretty regularly. It's not something I've encountered myself in the workplace, Norwegians are generally on first-name basis with everyone, even the prime minister.

Alhazred posted:

It's basically Dilbert that isn't made by a horrible person.

Yeah I suppose, I just didn't want to state that in case he's done something noteworthily lovely that I haven't paid attention to. You never know.

e:

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

Ah, frozen pizza, a true norwegian culinary staple.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Apparently there have been some "unearthed" Peanuts comics which may feature some of the gang as grownups

I don't have the time to post about it thoroughly but if anyone wants to check it out it seems extremely thread relevant

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SubNat posted:

Ah, frozen pizza, a true norwegian culinary staple.

I think it's fascinating how frozen pizza became such a staple. It took a while for pizza to come to Norway (my grandparents visited Italy in the sixties and thought it was some kind of cake). It didn't really hit the mainstream until 1980 when the owner of a food factory got a phone from someone asking him if he could make pizzas. According to legend he said "of course!" hung up the phone and asked his wife "what the hell is a pizza?"

quote:

One thing that throws me off with Lunch is that they're pretty formal using last names pretty regularly. It's not something I've encountered myself in the workplace, Norwegians are generally on first-name basis with everyone, even the prime minister.
My father worked in a high security mental hospital where you were not allowed to use last names as a part of security for the employees.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 1, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Kavak posted:

Was this a thing? Was suicide baiting women into marriage a practice or even an old-timey meme?

A few pages back (I fell behind on this thread), but I am almost positive that I've read at least one old novel where jokes are made about men threatening to join the army and die tragically if a woman doesn't agree to marry them, therefore his death will be on your hands you whore. I can't recall where I read this, though, which leads me to suspect it was a one-off joke that wasn't highly relevant to the plot. Maybe it'll come to me.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Apparently there have been some "unearthed" Peanuts comics which may feature some of the gang as grownups

I don't have the time to post about it thoroughly but if anyone wants to check it out it seems extremely thread relevant

Those old strips get "discovered" every few years or so; they're basically an unrelated comic he was workshopping using the templates he made Peanuts on. There's never been any suggestion that the two strips are related, and none of the characters have similar names to Peanuts characters, but it's still interesting to see his other work since Peanuts dominates so much of what he's known for.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

In the book he doesn't sneak inside, because this last scene is happening on the next day while he is about to meet the king.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Happy Pride Month.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

NRVNQSR posted:

Those old strips get "discovered" every few years or so; they're basically an unrelated comic he was workshopping using the templates he made Peanuts on. There's never been any suggestion that the two strips are related, and none of the characters have similar names to Peanuts characters, but it's still interesting to see his other work since Peanuts dominates so much of what he's known for.

When Miss Othmar (Linus's favorite teacher) got married, she became Mrs. Hagemeyer. :tinfoil:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
god pondus is such poo poo

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

Yes, obviously.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Working Dazes

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was morbidly curious about 9CL, and I'm not about to take up a forbidden comic. But I did feel obligated to share this face.

Sorry.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Author's suffering writer's block, kid is sending in a book-sized illustrated "letter" that everybody's being too virtuous to look at. That letter is getting published as the next book, isn't it?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Author's suffering writer's block, kid is sending in a book-sized illustrated "letter" that everybody's being too virtuous to look at. That letter is getting published as the next book, isn't it?

Then there's a sequence where he's found out.
She becomes awarded as the bestest child prodigy to ever write.
She gets an author mentor who is somehow that bald scammer guy again.
The local museum commissions her to write some thing or whatever.
Then BAM. Car #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Medenmath posted:

gently caress yeah val

quote:

redshirt (don't know if it's guy or arn) writes with his left hand and fights with his right