Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

The Spider rears up and lights and sounds go off. The Dinosaur is hidden in a corner that you go around, in the dark to exit the reptile tank section, and a laser trips and it roars and i think its eyes lit up, maybe.

Hilarious.

also amusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjlFIJueKAU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Was that the Ayers Rock Roadhouse & Golliwog Museum at the former Leyland Brothers theme park??

E: yep

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

I love every frenzal album even the bad ones but this is easily the best and meet the family is a distant second imo.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:stonk:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I remember my grandmother defending those "Golliwog" dolls as totally not racist because they're old and actually affectionate if you think about it!

She also loved playing tapes of racist old songs, including one I remember called "I Hate Wogs". Even as a naive kid I knew that was messed up.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Brisbane rules.

Fauna and flora from my yard:

The tallest one is just over 20 metres.

Rainbow lorikeets. Real marauding type. Ruthless.

That pair of eyes belongs to a carpenter bee. One of three that live in an old branch I have tied to a post out the back. They like burrowing nests into dead mango tree branches.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Season 3 of Mr Inbetween is on now. Pretty good Aus crime show.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7472896/

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

syntaxfunction posted:

She also loved playing tapes of racist old songs, including one I remember called "I Hate Wogs". Even as a naive kid I knew that was messed up.

One of my racist uncle's favourites was "My boomerang won't come back", which to be fair was written by a pom. I could link it here because it's very relevant but I won't.

Have this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNkYToYP91I

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Budzilla posted:

Double The Fist - won best comedy at the Logies when no one watched it, beating out Kath and Kim. The first episode is slow but picks up after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6aRauSEf5s

I'd completely forgotten about this show and it's kind of hard to deal with the fact that it's almost 20 years old now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

syntaxfunction posted:

I remember my grandmother defending those "Golliwog" dolls as totally not racist because they're old and actually affectionate if you think about it!

Yeah a lot of Australians try to argue that golliwogs were never 'racist' over here and were never meant to depict minstrels or anything but then you go back and look at newspaper articles about them from the early 1900s and uhhhh
:chloe: :chloe:

Seems super fuckin' racist to me! They were also a popular fancy dress costume at the time and there were lots of "golliwog dance" acts in local theatres and fundraising events which were also incredibly :chloe: :chloe:

Australia has a bizarrely long and complicated relationship with golliwogs and it's taken us many many decades as a society to finally go "Hey maybe these are problematic", we're dumb as hell

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I still find Golliwogs in country town nick nack stores, last one I saw was in Braidwood, heh!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah a lot of Australians try to argue that golliwogs were never 'racist' over here and were never meant to depict minstrels...

"THEY'RE NOT RACIST THEY JUST DEPICTING RACIST DEPICTIONS THAT WERE VERY RACIST"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I had a Golliwog when I was a toddler. My grandmother knitted it for me. She was very racist.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

the extra funny thing is if you go listen to the songs mentioned above like "i hate wogs" or the one about native australians the comments are just 100% people going this a parody its not meant to be taken seriously and it's not racist at all! lolol! stupid ppl!

wowzers

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i live in middle america and a friends friend's mom had a massive golliwog collection and she also insisted it wasn't racist lol

that is very rare here to own have one let alone a collection

[edit] i've never seen one at a shop... i have seen one at a flea market before but that's par for the course

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 3, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Even my nan that has a plethora of unacceptable ways to refer to various Asian ethnicities thinks they're racist and 'a bit much' its always funny as poo poo when people my age try to defend em as not racist

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wendigee posted:

the extra funny thing is if you go listen to the songs mentioned above like "i hate wogs" or the one about native australians the comments are just 100% people going this a parody its not meant to be taken seriously and it's not racist at all! lolol! stupid ppl!

wowzers

See also the Hey Hey It's Saturday youtube video from a few posts up which is really obviously incredibly racist but which was still being passed off as "Just a bit of fun, no harm intended" as recently as a few months ago:
https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...d617ea8038b5694
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-31/kamahl-daryl-somers-statement-hey-hey-its-saturday-treatment/100041612

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

I have made it my life's mission to find one as good as the ones I had in Sydney Harbor during my trip. Those may not even be the best you've got to offer, but drat was that a good meat pie. :smith:

We have stuff like pot pies but I want to just walk up to a street vendor and get a delicious handheld pie full of meat, drat it

e. Also I lost a favorite pair of sunglasses off the side of our boat touring the harbor, so if one of you could get those for me I'd appreciate it

Mate.

My Swiss Watch is under Sydney Harbor ticking away precisely.

Doing backflips off the boat at a work Xmas party.

Open bar. :lol:

:350:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

That took a few readthroughs to understand.

gently caress you oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

See also the Hey Hey It's Saturday youtube video from a few posts up which is really obviously incredibly racist but which was still being passed off as "Just a bit of fun, no harm intended" as recently as a few months ago

my favorite part is the dozens of "wogs" or "abos" responding to the comment or just aussies "my good friend is an x and he thinks it's hilarious!!"

lololol

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

See also the Hey Hey It's Saturday youtube video from a few posts up which is really obviously incredibly racist but which was still being passed off as "Just a bit of fun, no harm intended" as recently as a few months ago:
https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...d617ea8038b5694
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-31/kamahl-daryl-somers-statement-hey-hey-its-saturday-treatment/100041612

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Current talk reminded me of something I saw in shop window in Sydney. Was walking to the SCG and saw this:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

65 bux for a golliwog coin box?

we traditionally use a pink pig in the US.... i couldn't tell you why.

I guess that one could take pretty much any coin in though

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

This is going to be my new react image for anything obviously racist.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Bill Posters posted:

One of my racist uncle's favourites was "My boomerang won't come back", which to be fair was written by a pom. I could link it here because it's very relevant but I won't.

Have this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNkYToYP91I

people should follow kamahl on twitter, his feed is wild

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Wendigee posted:

65 bux for a golliwog coin box?

we traditionally use a pink pig in the US.... i couldn't tell you why.

I guess that one could take pretty much any coin in though

That coin bank is readily available in any antique store outside of Gatlinburg, Helen GA, or any other southern US tourist town.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Bill Posters posted:

That and Tie Me Kangaroo Down (the full version, including that verse) used to get played on the radio heaps when I was a kid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Szyznyk posted:

That coin bank is readily available in any antique store outside of Gatlinburg, Helen GA, or any other southern US tourist town.

Antique? You can buy a brand new one in some places

E: here's a shop in NZ that was selling new ones a few years back: https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/85594871/cute-toy-or-racist-relic-shoppers-divided-on-money-box-for-sale-in-wellington

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Drint Blasters posted:

Current talk reminded me of something I saw in shop window in Sydney. Was walking to the SCG and saw this:

Ugh, my (Australian) dad has one of these that he bought because "it's a piece of history". He works a lot in Aboriginal communities and genuinely isn't a racist guy but this loving thing really makes me hate him.

I realise my previous sentence is basically the equivalent of "I have black friends so I can't be racist" but honestly for a 65 year old Anglo Aussie he is remarkably tolerant.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

One of my ongoing projects is typically Australian scenes, mainly on scenes and memories of Australian youth. Trying to tap into that shared consciousness of riding pushies out to swimming holes and finding secret places in nature that feel like their yours alone.

Anyway, here's a couple from that.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Megabound posted:

Trying to tap into that shared consciousness of riding pushies out to swimming holes and finding secret places in nature that feel like their yours alone.

Yes please I love this.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Rats Tossbag posted:

Ugh, my (Australian) dad has one of these that he bought because "it's a piece of history". He works a lot in Aboriginal communities and genuinely isn't a racist guy but this loving thing really makes me hate him.

I realise my previous sentence is basically the equivalent of "I have black friends so I can't be racist" but honestly for a 65 year old Anglo Aussie he is remarkably tolerant.

Go to pretty much any market or antiques place and you'll find one, they are very common.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Szyznyk posted:

Lol, can't say I'm shocked but I am surprised

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

huh posted:

Yes please I love this.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to post more.

huh posted:

Brisbane rules.

This is a true fact, sometimes the wildlife comes in to you

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It should be mentioned that not everything in Australia is black and white. It's just that a lot of Australians see things that way.

We got colour here in case you were worried about visiting.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Inceltown posted:

It should be mentioned that not everything in Australia is black and white. It's just that a lot of Australians see things that way.

I can't make out where the pocked structure ends and the hill in the background starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Inceltown posted:

wow, that's cool