Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Where am I supposed to hang up my anime wall scrolls in a geodesic dome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

zedprime posted:

Every triangular panel gets a different wall scroll or shelf for a figure contorted to somehow show off every curve at once

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TIL hydrogen gas is the standard coolant for large powerplant generators

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

SpacePig posted:

I'm not sure how true the story is, but think this is a helmet of a guy that hit a bus and got dragged for a bit. Helmets are important.

I don't think I've told this one in this thread. True story.

Prior to OSHA, my dad investigated fatalities for the DOD. He was working on a US Army base in Frankfurt in the 1980's. You know how cables holding up telephone poles and stuff have that hi-viz yellow plastic around the bottom? Well, they didn't around these parts and this soldier, with girlfriend on back, got around traffic by riding his motorcycle on the sidewalk, doesn't see the wire, bike crashes hard, girl is scraped up but not seriously injured - gets to the boyfriend, starts screaming, goes into shock. His head's a hundred yards back, still in the helmet, spinning, cleanly separated at a 45 degree angle.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

kntfkr posted:

Prior to OSHA, my dad investigated fatalities for the DOD. He was working on a US Army base in Frankfurt in the 1980's. You know how cables holding up telephone poles and stuff have that hi-viz yellow plastic around the bottom? Well, they didn't around these parts and this soldier, with girlfriend on back, got around traffic by riding his motorcycle on the sidewalk, doesn't see the wire, bike crashes hard, girl is scraped up but not seriously injured - gets to the boyfriend, starts screaming, goes into shock. His head's a hundred yards back, still in the helmet, spinning, cleanly separated at a 45 degree angle.

notice you didn't mention brains spilling out...because there's never brains involved in motorcycle riding.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Brutalism covered in green plants is indeed cool - good brutalist designs often have really generous open spaces, but they need the plants to make that feel pleasant instead of oppressive.

Liking Brutalism with Trees is like saying that you think a person is attractive so long as they are hidden behind another more attractive person.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQwgBAaBag

I thought about posting this in the Aeronautical Insanity thread, but this is the thread that likes planes on treadmills, plus technically making videos is this guy’s job, and he “risked his life” to make this one.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Behind the Bastards has a good episode up on the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire and it is not only pure OSHA violation, but directly leads into the creation of OSHA as an institution.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/the-triangle-shirtwaist-fire-83187144/

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

OSHA is literally in my shop right now.

I have learned nothing from this thread.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Gray Stormy posted:

gray. gray what did you do. gray. gray look at me. are you okay

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Weembles posted:

Liking Brutalism with Trees is like saying that you think a person is attractive so long as they are hidden behind another more attractive person.

Brutalism with ivy is more like thinking people look better in the right clothes. The shape of the walls and windows are hard to hide.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gray Stormy posted:

Tell them that your shop is legally a mine and that they have no jurisdiction there.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

gray. gray what did you do. gray. gray look at me. are you okay

I AM FINE

We're pretty sure they showed up to look at our TABLE SAW a guy ran his hand into a few weeks ago.

Hopefully he turns a blind eye to the myriad of OSHA issues floating around this place

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Brutalism with ivy is more like thinking people look better in the right clothes. The shape of the walls and windows are hard to hide.

The defining character of brutalism is the user of naked raw concrete and strong geometric shapes. Covering all that with plants nullifies those qualities.

You don't like brutalism - you like plants. Just say you like plants.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Computer viking posted:

Looks great to me

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Gray Stormy posted:

I AM FINE

We're pretty sure they showed up to look at our TABLE SAW a guy ran his hand into a few weeks ago.

Hopefully he turns a blind eye to the myriad of OSHA issues floating around this place

fined for not having tiny little safety corks on the sharp bits of that table saw. fined for having insufficient particle filtration that violations can float freely in the air. fined. fined. none of you are without sin.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Weembles posted:

The defining character of brutalism is the user of naked raw concrete and strong geometric shapes. Covering all that with plants nullifies those qualities.

I like plants, but I think the contrast between them and the angular grey concrete works especially well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Weembles posted:

Strong geometric shapes, like those that clinging plants can best utilize? Or that are striking in their interplay with surrounding trees?

Not every brutalist building is ready for clinging plants, it takes extra design and maintenance to do without compromising the concrete cladding. But for those that do you're making an argument like a Chia pet ceramic is a strong geometric shape that it doesn't need a chia afro.

Anyway geometric shapes in forests are cool as hell even if you aren't cultivating clinging plants.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

LifeSunDeath posted:

notice you didn't mention brains spilling out...because there's never brains involved in motorcycle riding.

:jerkbag:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Platystemon posted:

HEPA filters date to the Second World War

:hmmyes:

GotLag posted:

Brutalism is cool too but with the very important caveat that it has to be surrounded by (and preferably covered in) vegetation.

This is 100 percent correct and true and y’all cowards for denying it

Platystemon posted:

and originally used asbestos.

:hmmno:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Cable Guy posted:

"Shenanigans"

look closely at her heel

edit: still insanely impressive though.

I've watched it several times and don't see anything. Could you clarify a bit more?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

zedprime posted:

Strong geometric shapes, like those that clinging plants can best utilize? Or that are striking in their interplay with surrounding trees?

Not every brutalist building is ready for clinging plants, it takes extra design and maintenance to do without compromising the concrete cladding. But for those that do you're making an argument like a Chia pet ceramic is a strong geometric shape that it doesn't need a chia afro.

Anyway geometric shapes in forests are cool as hell even if you aren't cultivating clinging plants.

He just doesn't like brutalism and wants to poo poo on it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Phanatic posted:

Architecture peaked with Art Deco and I’ll die on that hill.

Art Nouveau, mother of Art Deco.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
There's too many plants in that bookstore.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Art Nouveau, mother of Art Deco.

That's some nice Brutalism in there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

When we were house shopping we looked at a Geodesic dome house, I thought it was pretty neat.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQwgBAaBag

I thought about posting this in the Aeronautical Insanity thread, but this is the thread that likes planes on treadmills, plus technically making videos is this guy’s job, and he “risked his life” to make this one.

yeah i couldn't believe how shoddy that full scale version was. it was 3d printed and shaking apart lol

i thought the physics explanation was understandable, too, so i'm surprised that so many others have trouble with it!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't that helmet image debunked as the result of an intentional abrasion test and not a riding accident? Or was that a different hosed up helmet image

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

gently caress SNEEP posted:

yeah i couldn't believe how shoddy that full scale version was. it was 3d printed and shaking apart lol

i thought the physics explanation was understandable, too, so i'm surprised that so many others have trouble with it!

A lot of people are simply unable to understand plane on a treadmill, and this problem is a bit more complicated than that. I was having trouble at first because I didn't fully understand how the propeller was connected to the wheels of that thing. Once I realized that the spinning of the wheels spun the propeller, it all made sense to me.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Weembles posted:

Clearly, you've never played Control. I see your brutalism covered in plants and raise you brutalism with plants in it!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cojawfee posted:

A lot of people are simply unable to understand plane on a treadmill, and this problem is a bit more complicated than that. I was having trouble at first because I didn't fully understand how the propeller was connected to the wheels of that thing. Once I realized that the spinning of the wheels spun the propeller, it all made sense to me.
I think shoddily built is a good thing to defuse my first thought. The treadmill bench test actually made it click better for me because I was just like "oh the giant propeller is acting like a flywheel during gusts and using that energy to keep going as fast as the gust after it's gone." Later in the video seeing it perpetually fall apart and then the linkage explanation made that the propeller having enough weight to be a flywheel a dumb explanation.

I might be inventing this part in my head but I half remember a physics teacher bring up sailing and discussions/research into mechanical computers that could most efficiently tack and jibe through wind and someone figuring "did you just describe a propeller?" So if I didn't just completely make that up, I might have been primed to believe propeller car. Maybe my highschool physics teacher was on the same message boards as those dudes.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Weembles posted:

this is such a stupid take

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

kntfkr posted:

I guess she spun him right round baby right round

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I have a fondness for brutalism because it reminds me of being in university buildings as a kid, which nerdass me thought was super cool

They also aren't "square covered in glass", which is what every building built near me in the last 30 years boils down to

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The hangar where I work has chronic raccoon problems (among other OSHA-tastic features). They get up into the ceiling, occasionally dropping out to surprise people on watch in the middle of the night, and apparently it's against the rules to send someone up there with an M-16 and tell him to Figure It Out, so the problem persists.

Last week we opened up a briefing room one morning and immediately noticed a strong smell reminiscent of a dirty hamster cage or a zoo exhibit. After looking around a bit we see a ceiling tile with a large, fresh-looking yellow stain on it. So yeah, a raccoon either pissed in our ceiling, or worse, died up there and is slowly liquefying. Definitely smelled more like piss than dead animal though.

Could be worse, the guys next door to us had a bat infestation that got so bad that that end of the building had to be closed down as a biohazard due to all the droppings.

We had raccoon poo poo in a storage room after one broke in and while learning about raccoon-specific roundworm I saw one of my favorite sentences ever:

"If you feel you may have ingested raccoon feces inadvertently please contact your doctor."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Brutalist buildings can be really good, but the typical brutalist building just isn’t. They style’s portfolio is cursed by being cheap, popular, and enduring.

Many architectural styles benefit from survivorship bias. Brutalism doesn’t have that. Lot of poo poo buildings went up and few of them have come down. They’re not even the good kind of enduring. They’re in disrepair, but not in a way that threatens imminent collapse. Demolishing them would be extremely expensive, so they crawl along in tatters.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Y'all motherfuckers are forgetting about GEODESIC DOMES

And A-frames! Never hang a picture again.

I'm househunting in the Mendocino area. Many indeed are the hippie-built houses, and several are the geodesic homes.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Oddhair posted:

We had raccoon poo poo in a storage room after one broke in and while learning about raccoon-specific roundworm I saw one of my favorite sentences ever:

"If you feel you may have ingested raccoon feces inadvertently please contact your doctor."

If you ingested them purposefully, keep it to yourself.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Oddhair posted:

I was investigating a loss in Sea Isle City, NJ, about a block from the beach. Raccoons had gotten into a small crawlspace area on the ground floor, which was elevated 10' because the house was on pilings (per code for the coast).

The owner was alerted to the issue by the fetid small of raccoon poo poo emanating from the registers when he ran the heater. The furnace unit was located at grade under the house. Turns out they'd torn through a spiral duct and had been nesting in the ductwork all winter.

One of the features of coastal areas is the relentless wind. Blows almost all the time, and this day was no exception.

I needed to see if they'd gotten into the HVAC unit itself, so I unscrewed an access panel to check the plenum. As I removed the last screw, the entire panel blew outward and I was treated to a faceful of raccoon poo poo, dust, and whatever piss-covered dross they were using for nesting material. My mouth was open.

Somehow, I did not contract hantavirus or any of their lovely parasites. The smell haunts me today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enqiof-3TfE