Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
been playing tomb raider underworld for the first time in a decade and getting mad all over again about the reboot throwing out all the tomb raiding so it could be far cry instead. my pet peeve for this post is the aaa industry's pathological obsession with crafting over the past decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

when you die a bunch of times in a row and the game over screen says "Looks like you're having trouble! Would you like to lower the difficulty?"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Trillhouse posted:

when you die a bunch of times in a row and the game over screen says "Looks like you're having trouble! Would you like to lower the difficulty?"

When it does this and it’s like some out of place mini game or platforming

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

RPGs that have boats/planes but won’t let me travel across the edge of the world map to the opposite side

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

herculon posted:

RPGs that have boats/planes but won’t let me travel across the edge of the world map to the opposite side

I've never seen this unless the edge of the world is like a giant waterfall or abyss or something

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

DQXI has it. Maybe I just didn’t sail far enough, but the ocean gets very foggy and you don’t go anywhere

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

DQXI has it. Maybe I just didn’t sail far enough, but the ocean gets very foggy and you don’t go anywhere

no, it loops, it just takes a while to go through to th other side

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I’ll try to be more patient next time. I saw the fog and immediately thought it wasn’t going to let me through

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

possibly one of the most depressing things I've ever seen in a game was Assassin's Creed letting you get "mastery levels", spending skill points after you had maxed out your normal moves, and it was all stuff like this

i hate tiny level ups in general. cyberpunk was really bad about it. theres no way i'm noticing a 1% increase in rate of fire or whatever. it seems like such an obvious bad game design but cdpr is fail

oh and level scaling in rpgs like skyrim.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

"Sorry, this [fast travel vehicle] is out of service, traveler! We need some boards, rope, screws and um, some other poo poo from all the way across the map -look, you know the drill."

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Trillhouse posted:

RE8 does this after you die once lol.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Trillhouse posted:

fuuuuck that

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

dying a bunch usually makes me kind of mad and then this message makes me really mad

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

dying a bunch usually makes me kind of mad and then this message makes me really mad

Same

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Trillhouse posted:

when it lowers the difficulty automatically without asking

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

mycophobia posted:

Yeah

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

dying is epic

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dying increases my power each time it happens. I love to die.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Dying increases my power each time it happens. I love to die.

*farts into a bong chamber With my friends and rips a huge cloud Over your corpse thus obliterating you’re soul for the price of my dignity as a human*

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Professor of Cats posted:

"Sorry, this [fast travel vehicle] is out of service, traveler! We need some boards, rope, screws and um, some other poo poo from all the way across the map -look, you know the drill."

and then by the time you've gotten everything you've already beaten every area the vehicle can access anyway. absolute nonsense

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

in general, i hate it when games give you something that would have been cool the whole time you were playing the game but is useless by the time they give it to you.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

in general, i hate it when games give you something that would have been cool the whole time you were playing the game but is useless by the time they give it to you.

twilight princess was annoying about this

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Both love and hate the "carry this random item through the game for a secret" thing. It's cool when it happens, but I end up hoarding stuff in every game because of it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Thank you whichever mod restored my avatar!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Average Bear posted:

nice

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Average Bear posted:

hell yeah

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Average Bear posted:

A+ av

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Average Bear posted:

Awesome

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

games where youre strongly encouraged to hoard everything due to a big crafting/trade system, but there's a strict inventory limit and all that crap takes up space

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Hoping all these max heals and ethers make it over to the sequel, you know, as a sweet little thank you for playing their game :pray:

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
not being able to decide which incredible game to play

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Games with skill trees where you're able to earn enough points through the course of regular gameplay to purchase every possible skill.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fluoride Jones posted:

Games with skill trees where you're able to earn enough points through the course of regular gameplay to purchase every possible skill.

I know this isn't exactly what you mean but I just remembered carefully approaching my build in my last new Vegas run to see if I could get 100 in every skill and then got really pissed off when I succeeded

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I did it in Oblivion, God help me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

That's at least "meant" to bd achievable normally because you can just grind up every skill, tho. NV uses the Fallout "X skill points to allocate per level" with a level cap though so I felt more like I was proving something to (myself?) about how stupid and busted the game systems were

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

do you mean like, leveling the skills perfectly to max out your attributes on level ups too? cause if so lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Martman posted:

do you mean like, leveling the skills perfectly to max out your attributes on level ups too? cause if so lol

i did that in morrowind where it ws completely pointless because of alchemy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Martman posted:

no, i used mods so that it leveled your attributes without having to game it. i want to say it was AF leveling mod but it's been awhile and i tried out a few, so i might be misremembering.

the only quests i cheated on were a few that were broken enough that i had to use the console to fix them and i player.additem-ed the one where you had to find 100 calipers. after maxing every skill and finishing every quest, i dropped all my gear in cheydinal except for wabbajack, then walked nude to the madthrone and sat on it.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When an enemy has big old glowing weak points that do huge damage when you break em but not enough to actually kill it so you're left chipping away for ages doing poo poo damage once they're gone. Yes I'm playing horizon zero dawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Perk trees that are just do 10% more fire damage (3 ranks), 25% spell cost reduction. Even worse, when you have to unlock those perks to get to something like "jump on water". Basically the way Bethesda does perks sucks!

FNV had it right. Each perk gives you a new ability or playstyle. That's how it should be.