Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I am glad that everyone is still posting in this good thread for this good game. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
keepers are sick now, my nanomage keeper mano-a-manos totw bosses with newbie gear

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
All MMOs are bad, but I like this one.

please knock Mom! posted:

keepers are sick now, my nanomage keeper mano-a-manos totw bosses with newbie gear

Are you using melee energy? If so, what are you using for low levels?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

All MMOs are bad, but I like this one.
Are you using melee energy? If so, what are you using for low levels?

Still just 2he, went newbie sword -> illegal ofab wolf -> frost scythe -> styg -> corpse cutter -> panther

Basically just what I could find or had in my bank. I think I’m going melee energy at 151 when I can get a special edition kyr’ozch melee energy weapon. Or maybe later. 2he is performing fine, though my keeper is a fair bit squishier than a trox would be right now, and I miss the 40 2he from legchopper gloves.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Speaking of non troxs in traditional trox jobs, my froob Opi enf is one of my favorite characters and a real crowd pleaser among the other froobs back in the day lol.

Granted, part of that could have been just that i was playing/willing to tank at all. Getting enough froobs to do things was not always easy, I assume its nearly impossible these days

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The introduction of cross faction raid bots has made getting groups pretty easy, but there’s a lot of multi boxers

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The introduction of cross faction raid bots has made getting groups pretty easy, but there’s a lot of multi boxers

we had those then as well, froobchat and its various forks

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I haven’t had many issues since the centralization of the various factions’ biggest orgs into large alliances with shared chat

But the population is in the hundreds at best

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Are there open cross faction raid bots running atm? Last I remember was Iraid but it died away and nothing had replaced it last I was playing.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
No idea about right now since I’m leveling a new dude but most people in my current org just run things via ally chat and darknet

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Still nothing from FC on anniversary, I'm kinda waiting for either free time or hefty sub discounts.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You’ll probably get like 3 free days, citizen

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, who am I kidding. Funcom being Funcom they'll just flip on some random event like Halloween and call it a day.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Fewd posted:

Yeah, who am I kidding. Funcom being Funcom they'll just flip on some random event like Halloween and call it a day.

GMs will go onto the live servers and use the ~forbidden commands~ to create a lightshow which crashes the server.
:pcgaming:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
lately a new GM called Spacequest has been doing AI invasion events during the weekends

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Still just 2he, went newbie sword -> illegal ofab wolf -> frost scythe -> styg -> corpse cutter -> panther

Basically just what I could find or had in my bank. I think I’m going melee energy at 151 when I can get a special edition kyr’ozch melee energy weapon. Or maybe later. 2he is performing fine, though my keeper is a fair bit squishier than a trox would be right now, and I miss the 40 2he from legchopper gloves.

Neat! Whenever I come back to this dumb game I inevitably roll a Nanomage whatever-profession. Everyone likes an enforcer with poorer health progression but earlier nano access .... right????

Oh, so what makes the Nanomage Keeper good now? I had assumed it was just the better melee energy support + nanomage Int trickledown, but it sounds like it is something else? I know there’s a weird Nanomage-only energy sword from dyna loot somewhere ....

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 2, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

Neat! Whenever I come back to this dumb game I inevitably roll a Nanomage whatever-profession. Everyone likes an enforcer with poorer health progression but earlier nano access .... right????

Oh, so what makes the Nanomage Keeper good now? I had assumed it was just the better melee energy support + nanomage Int trickledown, but it sounds like it is something else? I know there’s a weird Nanomage-only energy sword from dyna loot somewhere ....

No it's really just that. Plus you can spam cast the best Ward skill, which absorbs 2 full attacks entirely. So that + the NM-only endurance booster + regular keeper evades + melee energy dual wielding w/ Reaper drain-procs + NM-style nano regen means you're very tanky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wITVpcfsEqA Solo artistry

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
God, for some reason I had assumed melee energy weapons were always 2 handed (having never even come near a profession that used the skill). Well! That’s cool to hear though, thanks for the answer!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I've never used melee energy and my keeper is only level 122 right now (though with a pained panther and 2x igocs he's doing alright), but most people seem to use https://aoitems.com/item/280730/dusk-of-the-xan/ if they go melee energy

However, what's also really popular right now is 2he with the new ToTW raid's big weapon, the Abyssal Desecrator, and going crit. Crit keepers with that sword almost even overtake engineers for dps

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.
They're running a screenshot competition to celebrate the 20th anniversary: https://forums.funcom.com/t/anniversary-contest-screenshot-competition/168511

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

van fem posted:

They're running a screenshot competition to celebrate the 20th anniversary: https://forums.funcom.com/t/anniversary-contest-screenshot-competition/168511

Lol

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Competition between the four remaining AO players runs fierce and bloody

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i occasionally wax nostalgic remembering my old lvl 14 or 15 trader i exclusively did the arena pvp with in like 2002 or 3 when i was like 13. i only ever got a martial artist to like ~50ish or something but i poured all my money into twinking my trader into ridiculously high level cyber mods, gear and uhh techno skills whatever they're called.

was a lot of fun blasting people 30 levels higher than me or whatever with my lvl 200 shotgun

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I still play regularly, but with the reduction in players and how daily missions have ruined the need for groups, I just level up alt's now. I'm working on a fixer, so I went camping the Crypt of Home for level 100 Blackbirds and ended up with a number of other level 100 weapons from those mobs. I sold those and have so much money I had to spread it across multiple characters. I can't believe they never enhanced the bank...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

those weapons sell for enough to cap your credit limit now O.o

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

those weapons sell for enough to cap your credit limit now O.o

Yeah, the lvl 100 Blackbirds go for about 1 Billion credits, and the 2 handed blunts got for around 900,000 in the same level. I had a few of those, and then some ranging levels 101-103 and sold some of them. I still have a couple bags full so I can sell them later or use them myself. It's strange. The server must suffer from credit farmers, sellers to have anything worth that much. I would personally just farm them myself, or use a different weapon. There's no way I am paying that much for anything in AO... Grid Armor is another crazy item, but I think less so now. There are none for sale currently, but I was able to loot and build the program disk myself for MK I.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

AO always had a very robust system of lazy people farming jobs out to not lazy people lol, it was one of the things i loved about it. for awhile pre-sl i mained fixer and would make serious, serious money blitzing entire nano lines for people too lazy or bad to use clicksaver

it probably unironically helped me later in life as i moved into business- i would take multiple dozens of orders from a lot of different people at a time and tracked it all in excel, and made sure to be courteous n good to the custies

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

AO always had a very robust system of lazy people farming jobs out to not lazy people lol, it was one of the things i loved about it. for awhile pre-sl i mained fixer and would make serious, serious money blitzing entire nano lines for people too lazy or bad to use clicksaver

it probably unironically helped me later in life as i moved into business- i would take multiple dozens of orders from a lot of different people at a time and tracked it all in excel, and made sure to be courteous n good to the custies

True. I never got into the blitzing, and would role my own stuff, but never sell anything. I started playing at launch, and only got my first character to 220 a couple years ago. I have had some nasty breaks in play time, but I always come back. The big problem now, is people don't come back as often as they used to. There's just not enough there to hold you...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i know, it sucks tbh. i would really like at least a remotely similar MMO experience and setting, but half of what i liked about that came was that the people that played it were really just from all over the world and that so many of them were pleasant to game with.

a lot of people seemed to understand that even back then, AO had a bullshit learning curve and could be a frustrating experience at times, and a lot of people seemed really invested in helping new or even veteran players get better at the game

it is not really something ive seen reproduced in other game communities

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I bought 1 grace for 17 dollars, and sold it on the market for 28 billion credits, and then I had to spread it around to 7 characters' GMIs because if you have more than 4b in your GMI you can't buy/sell item,s

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

anarchy online seems a lot less fiction these days than it did when i was 14 in 2001.

down to the hosed up hyper inflation coming in 3, 2, 1

(f)E: Sincerest apologies colleagues, the above was posted in error. Omni-Tek is your friend.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Floob posted:

Yeah, the lvl 100 Blackbirds go for about 1 Billion credits

I bought 1 grace for 17 dollars, and sold it on the market for 28 billion credits

What the actual goddamn gently caress :trumppop:

I've never seen economy this badly gone to hell in any game ever lol

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Floob posted:

True. I never got into the blitzing, and would role my own stuff, but never sell anything. I started playing at launch, and only got my first character to 220 a couple years ago. I have had some nasty breaks in play time, but I always come back. The big problem now, is people don't come back as often as they used to. There's just not enough there to hold you...

This is me except I never got my original, launch-era fixer past 132...at some point I accidentally unequipped all my over-leveled stuff, so now every time I log back in I just run around for a few days, try to kill some stuff with the weapons I can use, and then wait for the cycle to start anew! Figuring out where to start with GAmk2 always drives me off.
:smith::hf::unsmith:

lol I was an ARK. :pcgaming:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fewd posted:

You can buy hacked duping bags still

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Fewd posted:

I remember sitting at a Grid Stream party wondering how in the hell anyone had 100milion credits to raffle off... Apparently most of Rubi-Ka's mass is just packed together credits. I had just never spent time trying to acquire any of it. Now as I sit on 5 billion credits, I feel like a rock star, but I guess this is just the tip of the iceberg. I have never spent credits on anything but stims, and always got my gear from raiding, and I've got some of the best equipment you can find... I wouldn't even know what to spend the money on.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Wonder what a piece of ql300 combined commando goes for nowadays, break 100 billion yet?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its kind of funny how a noob would probably struggle to grab the 5 mil for a yalm or whatev meanwhile veterans are like ugh i have to make yet another account to store my riches

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Statutory Ape posted:

its kind of funny how a noob would probably struggle to grab the 5 mil for a yalm or whatev meanwhile veterans are like ugh i have to make yet another account to store my riches

And it's that gap, or the broken economy as Fewd mentioned that makes it impossible for new players to catch up. There is simply too much currency in circulation, or I guess being stock piled. I was lucky with my main character back in the day and looted my yalm from a mission chest. They ended up removing them for probably stupid reasons, but I still smile every time I fly it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

it did spawn that cool little microsystem of people holding the yalm vendors open and shouting in trade/ooc about the low req yalms :3

e; its kind of funny how games have changed and thus so have the experiences involved with the people in them. as but one small example, AO and similar games, most of the poo poo in the game (at least back closer to when it was new) you absolutely needed help to accomplish. Whether it was just grabbing a nelebs robe or guardian tank armor or some outdoor poo poo, whatever. i think this necessitated a lot more selflessness and genuine team oriented thinking.

you can find that in any game, not even with much difficulty if youre socially active in them, but what stands out was how many people- even strangers in the game- were willing to dedicate literal hours into the crack of dawn to help you/whoever else youre with get some stupid item thats a rare drop off of a boss thats a rare spawn. or the random tradeskillers youd see doing things like walking people how to do their first custom implant setups and helping them twink it on for noobs they'd never talked to

perhaps in some ways the open-ness of the professions to be able to have a lot of varying playstyles lent itself to that too, group comp could be basically whatever you wanted it to be for a lot of content w skilled players

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
edit: nvm

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 10, 2021