Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Guess this means Braun vacates the Greatest Royal Rumble Championship belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

WWE being sold before Vince dies is a very weird thing to think about

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1371638783406444545?s=20

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shane will be the only McMahon that gets released

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

if braun was making a bunch of loving money and his contract was well into 2023 and he got cut earlier i'm sure the dude is raking in a good amount on the 90 days no compete clause on the big rear end farm land he owns. Maybe he can get real knee surgery now or get in touch with Rey's guy for his knees.

Replace his legs with tank treads.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Orange Carlisle posted:

WWE being sold before Vince dies is a very weird thing to think about

Selling it might be Vince's last chance at being a for real big shot billionaire, opposed to the kinda-sorta-on-paper-figured-a-certain-way billionaire.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Every member of Rusev Day has been released. Man I miss that act.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

This is almost as sad as that Ricochet picture.

SexMetalBarbie
Jun 1, 2021

by Shine

when do you get to be classified as a veteran cuz I feel like 7 years isn't really a veteran when Tommy End is talking about his 21 years in the business.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Gavok posted:

Replace his legs with tank treads.

Glad to see Braun will get his SAG card through the film adaptation of Smash TV

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Selling it might be Vince's last chance at being a for real big shot billionaire, opposed to the kinda-sorta-on-paper-figured-a-certain-way billionaire.

I think he cares less about that and more about making sure nobody else in the family does a better job running the company than he did.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kunabomber posted:

Just lol if it turns out Braun is still good to go after being checked over by real doctors not hired by WWE

I would in no way be surprised if three months sitting out the no-compete to actually rehab entirely changes his prognosis.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Liquid Communism posted:

I would in no way be surprised if three months sitting out the no-compete to actually rehab entirely changes his prognosis.

He went 3 months where all he did was be in the Rumble as #30 for 7 1/2 minutes. So I doubt it...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Randy Orton legend killer feud vs Nicolas

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

:hmmyes:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Braun always struck me as a guy who just got into WWE for the money and has no real passion for wrestling otherwise (the Ryback comparison is pretty apt). He'll likely go back to strongman competitions and maybe doing some Hollywood stunt work on the side. A guy with his look can get steady paychecks without bumping.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Astro7x posted:

He went 3 months where all he did was be in the Rumble as #30 for 7 1/2 minutes. So I doubt it...

Yeah, but you know that was with WWE docs and people leaning on him to keep working out to stay lean to keep people happy with his look.

I'm talking no poo poo rest.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Benne posted:

Braun always struck me as a guy who just got into WWE for the money and has no real passion for wrestling otherwise (the Ryback comparison is pretty apt). He'll likely go back to strongman competitions and maybe doing some Hollywood stunt work on the side. A guy with his look can get steady paychecks without bumping.

Braun is the rare kind of person who can pull off the Superman logo tat he has. I’m sure he’ll land on his feet somewhere, hopefully somewhere that gives him SAG insurance for his shredded knees.

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’m sure he’ll land on his feet

That will just make his knees worse

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
im getting word from fightful select that braun strowman has been cast as the train in the remake of "train comes toward audience" directed by rian johnson due for release in 2022

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shayna Baszler posted:

hhh breastfeeding ricochet and aleister black

edit: i thought this was google, sorry

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Benne posted:

If he knees are as shot as people seem to think I can't imagine him going back to the strongman circuit.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Braun will walk the Appalachian Trail. You heard it here first.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. But I know gently caress all about US Employment/Contract law.

So WWE Wrestlers are "Independent Contractors" right? But that still means they have contracts. And Contracts should be legally enforceable.

So let's say WWE signs a wrestler on a "You will work for us for the next X years, and make a minimum of $Y a year over the period of the contract." contract on a Monday. They then sack the wrestler on Tuesday.

Do they have to pay out the remainder of $Y to the wrestler? Would it come in a lump sum, or would they continue to get cheques for the remaining X years? Does the wrestler have any recourse to sue/claim for any moneys owed them over the previous part of the contract that they worked, but were not paid?

The contracts just have clauses that obligate the employee and do not provide a path for them to end the deal but give the employer the ability to do so at will. This is not a WWE-unique situation, as most major American sports leagues do not have guaranteed contracts. If you see a headline that some player in the NFL signed a 5 year $72 million dollar contract, that doesn't actually mean that player is going to get $72 million over 5 years, what they're guaranteed to get is their year 1 salary, their signing bonus, and anything else they can specially negotiate a guarantee against (bonuses, various years of salary, conditional guarantees for things like injury where getting hurt in year 2 guarantees year 3 so they can't wash their hands and dump you onto the market coming back from serious injury). If after 3 years, the player feels they've got a raw deal, well, there's no route for just legally exit the contract (although there are pressure plays like holdouts), while if the team is sore about the deal after year 3, they can just cut the player and get off the hook for whatever they'd promised from the last 2 years. Sound familiar?

So, no, no payment of the remainder of the contract unless they were able to negotiate a fully guaranteed deal (and I'm going to suggest no one gets that). They can opt into an extra 3 months of their downside in exchange for the non-compete, specifically because most non-competes legally have to provide some benefit to the former employee in order to be legal. If they don't want to take the non-compete, anything they were contracted to get after the release just disappears.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 3, 2021

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Zombie Lemur posted:

If he knees are as shot as people seem to think I can't imagine him going back to the strongman circuit.

Perhaps, but if he's only thinking about money that might not even matter. Strongman has long been a niche within a niche, and a guy coming back as A Former WWE Superstar would surely draw eyes on any competition, which could convince people to add extra numbers on his check if they think it will sell tickets.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Benne posted:

Perhaps, but if he's only thinking about money that might not even matter. Strongman has long been a niche within a niche, and a guy coming back as A Former WWE Superstar would surely draw eyes on any competition, which could convince people to add extra numbers on his check if they think it will sell tickets.

Hell, he might not even have to do anything to collect a decent appearance fee as a special guest to draw people to a strongman competition.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Braun will walk the Appalachian Trail. You heard it here first.

but will he yell choo choo the whole way?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Benne posted:

karmicknight posted:

Hell, he might not even have to do anything to collect a decent appearance fee as a special guest to draw people to a strongman competition.

These are good points. He could probably get a check just for showing up as a "special host" or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a wistful "choo choo"

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOgyCeGLzzE

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

karmicknight posted:

Yeah he could probably make good money just being an ambassador of sorts for strongman, showing up at events and occasionally pulling a minivan like 10 meters just to show he's "still got it" or whatever.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just heard the news and it brightened what has otherwise been a couple of real poo poo days immensely. Just lmao if the business comes full circle Vince ends up getting corporate takeovered four decades after he started killing off the competition in earnest.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if wwe doesn't get better after being sold then vince mcmahon is going to get the nostalgic george lucas treatment. that would be funny

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

thefncrow posted:

The contracts just have clauses that obligate the employee and do not provide a path for them to end the deal but give the employer the ability to do so at will. This is not a WWE-unique situation, as most major American sports leagues do not have guaranteed contracts. If you see a headline that some player in the NFL signed a 5 year $72 million dollar contract, that doesn't actually mean that player is going to get $72 million over 5 years, what they're guaranteed to get is their year 1 salary, their signing bonus, and anything else they can specially negotiate a guarantee against (bonuses, various years of salary, conditional guarantees for things like injury where getting hurt in year 2 guarantees year 3 so they can't wash their hands and dump you onto the market coming back from serious injury). If after 3 years, the player feels they've got a raw deal, well, there's no route for just legally exit the contract (although there are pressure plays like holdouts), while if the team is sore about the deal after year 3, they can just cut the player and get off the hook for whatever they'd promised from the last 2 years. Sound familiar?

So, no, no payment of the remainder of the contract unless they were able to negotiate a fully guaranteed deal (and I'm going to suggest no one gets that). They can opt into an extra 3 months of their downside in exchange for the non-compete, specifically because most non-competes legally have to provide some benefit to the former employee in order to be legal. If they don't want to take the non-compete, anything they were contracted to get after the release just disappears.

Note this is one of the very basic reasons why wrestlers are not in fact independent contractors despite Vince and Company's insistence.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/independent-contractor-defined

irs.gov posted:

You are not an independent contractor if you perform services that can be controlled by an employer (what will be done and how it will be done). This applies even if you are given freedom of action. What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the services are performed.

irs.gov posted:

Common Law Rules
Facts that provide evidence of the degree of control and independence fall into three categories:

Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control what the worker does and how the worker does his or her job?
Financial: Are the business aspects of the worker’s job controlled by the payer? (these include things like how worker is paid, whether expenses are reimbursed, who provides tools/supplies, etc.)
Type of Relationship: Are there written contracts or employee type benefits (i.e. pension plan, insurance, vacation pay, etc.)? Will the relationship continue and is the work performed a key aspect of the business?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I dunno if it'll get better after a hypothetical sale, but I have a hard time seeing how you could WWE any worse either short of rehiring Vince Russo and giving him free hands to run the place.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I genuinely believe they could get at least 300,000 people back just by firing Kevin Dunn and letting someone with modern sports presentation experience handle their production, even if the actual content didn't change.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I really do hate seeing people get cut from the WWE who weren't already asking for their release but the big different between now and when most of them signed their contracts are legitimate alternatives. Even Impact doesn't seem like an awful place to work anymore

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

There is no easy way to turn around WWE ratings. They've driven off too many people, so they're left with the die-hards and the don't-cares.

To build a foundation for improving ratings, they would have to manage the creative direction in the long term. Decide a long term creative goal and make sure everything they put on TV is in service of that. Add new elements as they go along, of course, but add them to an existing structure instead of not having a structure at all. And, most importantly, accept right at the start that what you are doing will seem to have very little effect on the ratings to begin with.

There are many problems with this, the largest of which is that the person in ultimate control of WWE's creative direction is bad tempered, elderly, has the attention span of a concussed bee, and thinks he's a genius. Specifically he thinks genius manifests itself through being able to tear up the script for a show and rewrite it on the fly as the show is going on, not realising that intelligence is not putting yourself in a position where that's necessary.

What I'm saying isn't "WWE will improve after Vince dies". What I'm saying is "It's impossible for WWE to improve while Vince is still alive".

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I still can't wrap my head around the Strowman firing. He was a bootlicker, he was one of their few home-grown success stories, he just had a feud with a McMahon that had a Wrestlemania match, he was set up to be in the Kane position of credible threat who can float between midcard and main event as needed... like, what happened? Did he injure Shane? Was he QAnon-ing uncomfortably like Drake? Did he sneeze in front of Vince? Suckas gots ta know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he will probably come back later at 40% to 50% of the cost