Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think the 360 controller is slightly more comfortable than the Series/One controller.

that said, my elite v2 is very good. the extra buttons and tuning make it more usable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

slave to my cravings posted:

Just get yourself a decently long usb c to a cable for wired and a set of rechargeable AA batteries for wireless.
Speaking of, can anyone recommend a particularly good cable? I'm looking at the Monoprice Essentials USB C to A but don't know if the fact that it's USB 2.0 matters or not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ultimate is for both PC and Xbox.

You should try it on Xbox, too...

They don't have an Xbox though. And yeah, Game Pass for PC is less reward points.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Speaking of, can anyone recommend a particularly good cable? I'm looking at the Monoprice Essentials USB C to A but don't know if the fact that it's USB 2.0 matters or not.

Anything that transmits data at any speed should work. I just got a no name brand on Amazon and it works perfectly. Monoprice has a pretty hassle free warranty so if it ever frays or breaks you can get another one for free.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think there may be some Game Pass games available on Cloud that aren’t on PC, but not sure if there’s anything notable.

Otherwise if you’re PC-only and don’t plan to use Cloud gaming on mobile or whatever there’s no real incentive to go Ultimate over PC unless you get a good deal on Ultimate.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Laserface posted:

I think the 360 controller is slightly more comfortable than the Series/One controller.

that said, my elite v2 is very good. the extra buttons and tuning make it more usable for me.

I would have loved to get one if you could program the underside buttons to be independent inputs, but I don't think that's possible.

It sounds like the newest controller is the way to go so I'm probably going to go with that, thanks. Is there any difference in range or functionality when using it with Bluetooth vs. the dedicated adapter? My PC is in a different room than my TV and whenever I used my Switch Pro controller there was a slight bit of noticeable lag compared to 360 controllers with an off-brand wireless adapter.

In any case I'm hoping I can buy a box of replacement parts to toss in the closet and have decent controllers for another 10+ years. I think they use the same Alps sensors as the Switch Pro, which is pretty sweet.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

I would have loved to get one if you could program the underside buttons to be independent inputs, but I don't think that's possible.

You can't, but I have never found that to be a problem.

It could definitely be added as a firmware update as you can customise which face buttons they clone.

Once you learn to use the buttons to replace face buttons your game certainly improves. Shooting and jumping without leaving the sticks is very advantageous.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I was just moving my old stuff from moving boxes to storage tubs now that I know the wife can't be talked into selling this house and I played with each of the xbox controllers that I have
I still find the Duke to be the most comfortable, but I love the shoulder buttons.
Torn between the Series X controller and the One S controller as for which I like better from the more current area.
Series controller is pretty clicky and I think my Shock Blue one for whatever reason feels like the buttons are springier.
OG Xbox Akuma controller owns though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, I never use over-the-shoulder view in PSO2 because I have all of my attacks bound to face buttons so having duplicates on the underside would make OTS viable. Still, an extra four bindable inputs would be nice for a couple shortcuts so I don't have to go through the menu or grab my keyboard for stuff I do often like taking a peek at the map or bringing up the quick menu.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Coxswain Balls posted:

How does it rate on the "annoying the wife"-ometer compared to a mechanical keyboard?
Playing with closed-back headphones I thought there are new sounds for UI navigation, but it was the dpad leaking through

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I loving love the new 'Series' controllers with the little bumpy adornments on the triggers and handles and such. But the lightness, battery life and d-pad are the real winners.

Ruffian Price posted:

Playing with closed-back headphones I thought there are new sounds for UI navigation, but it was the dpad leaking through

lmao

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ultimate is for both PC and Xbox.

You should try it on Xbox, too...

That's the thing, Ultimate is twice the cost (12,000 vs 6,800), and I don't have an Xbox console.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

I loving love the new 'Series' controllers with the little bumpy adornments on the triggers and handles and such. But the lightness, battery life and d-pad are the real winners.

I'm just happy that they stuck with AA batteries instead of going the lithium ion route. Does it work with no batteries installed if it's plugged in to a power bank with USB-C? That's what I do with my Switch Pro when it's getting low, and it'd be nice to be able to do that when playing PC games whenever I have to charge my AAs so I don't have to shuffle batteries between the couple of things that use them whenever they run low. Even cooler if it can charge directly through USB-C, but I doubt it's going to have the circuitry for NiMH charging.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm just happy that they stuck with AA batteries instead of going the lithium ion route. Does it work with no batteries installed if it's plugged in to a power bank with USB-C? That's what I do with my Switch Pro when it's getting low, and it'd be nice to be able to do that when playing PC games whenever I have to charge my AAs so I don't have to shuffle batteries between the couple of things that use them whenever they run low. Even cooler if it can charge directly through USB-C, but I doubt it's going to have the circuitry for NiMH charging.

Yes it works without batteries.
Yes you can charge the rechargeable Xbox one / series batteries(which I think are lithium ion) directly inside the controller by way of the same usb cable. Mine is doing so now with a usb c cable I got at the dollar tree.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

otter posted:

Yes it works without batteries.
Yes you can charge the rechargeable Xbox one / series batteries directly inside the controller by way of the same usb cable. Mine is doing so now with a usb c cable I got at the dollar tree.

You can charge NiMH AA cells directly while they're installed in the controller? That's awesome, I didn't expect them to go that far with it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

You can charge NiMH AA cells directly while they're installed in the controller? That's awesome, I didn't expect them to go that far with it.

this is not at all what was said.

you can charge official first party rechargable batteries in the controller. not rechargable AAs.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I edited to clarify I was talking about lith ion; not sure about nimh. I don’t think I’ve seen any in like, 20 years.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Laserface posted:

this is not at all what was said.

you can charge official first party rechargable batteries in the controller. not rechargable AAs.

I was describing charging NiMH AA batteries in my post, if that wasn't clear. I figured it was obvious that it would be able to charge with the play and charge kit designed for it, but if it was just rebranded Eneloops or something that would mean it could do standard AA cells.

It looks like the kit only has a 1400mAh battery which is less than half of two Eneloops so I can deal with not being able to charge on the device.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ausgoons, series X in stock again and has been for at least two hours.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/xbox-series-x/8wj714n3rbtl

:australia:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

I was describing charging NiMH AA batteries in my post, if that wasn't clear. I figured it was obvious that it would be able to charge with the play and charge kit designed for it, but if it was just rebranded Eneloops or something that would mean it could do standard AA cells.

It looks like the kit only has a 1400mAh battery which is less than half of two Eneloops so I can deal with not being able to charge on the device.

it would be a nice feature but lol at the idea of supporting charging in the controller for AAs when you can charge $50 for a USB cable and a less decent lithium cell.

fwiw the elite controller v2's built in battery lasts at least twice as long as the standard play and charge battery pack.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I also confused nimh batteries for nicads. Nicads being the ones that died after 5 minutes and nimh being both eneloop and the bane of Mrs frisbee’s existence.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have a Series S and PS5 now

I am so so bothered they changed how to turn off the PS5 console from the home menu. Decade+ of muscle memory ruined

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

had to stop playing Observation after a few hours unfortunately, the framerate is giving me migraines. It's very low at times, like looks around 20fps when you're moving through the station. I dunno if that's intentional or not but my brain can't handle it. Seems like a cool game though. The sound design is top notch.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Laserface posted:

it would be a nice feature but lol at the idea of supporting charging in the controller for AAs when you can charge $50 for a USB cable and a less decent lithium cell.

The official kit is $25, not $50. The battery life in it does suck though and it's a mystery why they didn't make a better one. The controller can't charge AA batteries because the USB port is linked to the special connector the battery pack uses instead of the contacts for AA batteries. They did this presumably to prevent people trying to charge non-rechargable batteries in the controller.

You have to understand that these things need to be designed for the lowest common denominator of users. Children that don't know better, adults that can't be bothered to learn, a random coworker that thinks all batteries are rechargable if you store them in the freezer. Having the choice of power options is great compared to Sony's built in option, but you can't assume everyone understands that you can't put 1 random AA you found under the couch and 1 rechargeable AA in the controller and somehow plug it in and it charges.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 3, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MechWarrior 5 owns, you should all be playing it if you have Games Pass and if you don't, get it.

Also is there a MW thread?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Holy crap this thing is so clicky.

owls or something posted:

You have to understand that these things need to be designed for the lowest common denominator of users. Children that don't know better, adults that can't be bothered to learn, a random coworker that thinks all batteries are rechargable if you store them in the freezer. Having the choice of power options is great compared to Sony's built in option, but you can't assume everyone understands that you can't put 1 random AA you found under the couch and 1 rechargeable AA in the controller and somehow plug it in and it charges.

I didn't think about it since I haven't worked in tech support for a long time but that makes sense. It's not even much of a problem any more since I found out Ikea has a sale right now on their rebranded Eneloops where a pack of 4 is $3, so I picked up thirty bucks worth to replace my aging fleet of rechargeable AA and AAA cells.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Batteries do charge in the freezer, you probably just aren't leaving them in long enough

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

had to stop playing Observation after a few hours unfortunately, the framerate is giving me migraines. It's very low at times, like looks around 20fps when you're moving through the station. I dunno if that's intentional or not but my brain can't handle it. Seems like a cool game though. The sound design is top notch.

Yeah, it sometimes got bad on my old Xbox One, I guess the game never got a patch for the newer consoles.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

owls or something posted:

The official kit is $25, not $50. The battery life in it does suck though and it's a mystery why they didn't make a better one. The controller can't charge AA batteries because the USB port is linked to the special connector the battery pack uses instead of the contacts for AA batteries. They did this presumably to prevent people trying to charge non-rechargable batteries in the controller.

its $27AUD, i haven't bought one since the OG xbone days so I was taking a stab at the local pricing.

I also fully understand why they wont/cant do it, but its pretty easy to get around 'what batteries can i put in this thing' with a built-in rechargable.

i know the pros/cons and the absolute shitshow that this can of worms brings up when it comes up so i'll leave it at that. I see the benefit of both setups, although for me its going to be built-in all the way (and why I have an elite V2)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I had the insignia battery packs and they were fantastic for $10.

They had a charging station that plugged into the front of the Xbox so you always had a fresh battery.

Now I just have the Elite V2.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm so used to turning off my controller by pressing the battery latch button and it feels weird not being able to do that any more. Whenever I put it down I instinctively press the front of the controller but there's nothing there.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Not seeing a specific date for game pass’s leaving soon games. When do they usually get delisted, end of the month?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Not seeing a specific date for game pass’s leaving soon games. When do they usually get delisted, end of the month?

It's usually done by half months, so the current lot leave Game Pass on June 15th.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh poo poo, they still make the chatpad for modern Xbox controllers, and they also work with your PC? I loved that goofy thing on the 360 and was choked that it didn't work on my computer. Does it just show up as another wireless keyboard in Windows? I would get a ton of use out of it if that's the case.

e: Boo, it looks like it's discontinued. Are there any third party ones that are decent?

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 4, 2021

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Laserface posted:

I also fully understand why they wont/cant do it

Seemed like you thought it was just a scam to sell a $50 battery based on you posting exactly that, but ok my mistake.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I plugged in an external HD to my series S and it keeps turning on/blinking even when the Xbox isn’t powered on. I can feel it humming so I know it’s trying to do something. I have instant on enabled in power settings and “when Xbox is off, turn off storage” Is also checked. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Seems like it’s bad for it to keep turning on and off.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turn off usb power when system is off so it cant spin

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I leave mine in instant on with hard drive on but it's an ssd so I don't think it's as bad

I have killed 3 enclosures though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Laserface posted:

I leave mine in instant on with hard drive on but it's an ssd so I don't think it's as bad

I have killed 3 enclosures though.

Could you explain? I had a great external SSD that one day wouldn't recognize and kept saying the cables weren't powering the device. I eventually just get the Xbox Series X SSD, but I'd love to get that fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

They don't have an Xbox though. And yeah, Game Pass for PC is less reward points.

webmeister posted:

That's the thing, Ultimate is twice the cost (12,000 vs 6,800), and I don't have an Xbox console.

That's too bad. There are so many fun games to play on Xbox, especially with Game Pass!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Oh poo poo, they still make the chatpad for modern Xbox controllers, and they also work with your PC? I loved that goofy thing on the 360 and was choked that it didn't work on my computer. Does it just show up as another wireless keyboard in Windows? I would get a ton of use out of it if that's the case.

e: Boo, it looks like it's discontinued. Are there any third party ones that are decent?

My official chatpad gave out a couple months back. (My old one from the 360 days did at some point also.) They either don't last forever or I need to update some firmware. If I can't get it working, I'd also love to hear what's recommended.

You can also enter text with your phone using the Xbox App, but that requires remembering the Xbox App can do that, which I am terrible at.