Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Considering the US's only war plan for decades was nine every communist country regardless if we're at war with them I don't really think it is

The US also has the capability to do that. Israel only has an estimated 300 nukes, and they all need to be kept on submarines so they're difficult to track. But being difficult to track doesn't make it impossible to track them, and any navy worth its salt is already doing just that. Those subs can't have the range that American subs do, since American subs have direct access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. No matter how much Egypt may cooperate with Israel they're not going to let them pass nuclear subs through the Suez canal, so Israeli subs are stuck in the Mediterranean and Red Sea/Indian Ocean where they're not hard to find. Having Israel's limited assets try to target every major city in Europe, let alone the world, is putting them in too much risk for no gain.

Plans for nuclear war also have scales of escalation. Even if Israel's plan is to nuke every country in the middle east when they're on the backfoot, there's going to be an escalation towards an all out nuclear release. Limited strikes or even just a warning strike will come first to try and force a negotiation. Unleashing the arsenal would be a last ditch effort when Israel is already in danger of being destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

99% chance Mossad has profiles on everyone in this thread.

Eve Fartlow

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
im one of those infiltrators that urges violence so we can arrest ppl

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the US will do the arresting for us but we get the ball rolling

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The US also has the capability to do that. Israel only has an estimated 300 nukes, and they all need to be kept on submarines so they're difficult to track. But being difficult to track doesn't make it impossible to track them, and any navy worth its salt is already doing just that. Those subs can't have the range that American subs do, since American subs have direct access to both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. No matter how much Egypt may cooperate with Israel they're not going to let them pass nuclear subs through the Suez canal, so Israeli subs are stuck in the Mediterranean and Red Sea/Indian Ocean where they're not hard to find. Having Israel's limited assets try to target every major city in Europe, let alone the world, is putting them in too much risk for no gain.

Plans for nuclear war also have scales of escalation. Even if Israel's plan is to nuke every country in the middle east when they're on the backfoot, there's going to be an escalation towards an all out nuclear release. Limited strikes or even just a warning strike will come first to try and force a negotiation. Unleashing the arsenal would be a last ditch effort when Israel is already in danger of being destroyed.

Assuming Israel has a limited strike plan, a thing the US didn't even develop until the 70s and the DOD was forced into it.

Which again isn't what I said orginally, the Israelis may not physically be capable of the Samson option, but I don't think it's any more crazy than any American war plan to bring about nuclear holocaust. The Samson Option is entirely illogical, but Cold War era nuclear policy was highly illogical pretending to be sensible logic. Which is what I was getting at when I said it isn't any dumber than any other nuclear war plan we know about.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

I'm glad the Palestinians can rise above their station in life only to one day betray their fellow man for a bit of power and money and pretend they aren't next.

Don't everyday Palestinians already consider the Palestinian Authority and even Hamas to some degree to be collaborators who are working with the Israeli government to uphold the status quo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

Assuming Israel has a limited strike plan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_Option

quote:

In what they called the "Last Secret of the Six-Day War" the New York Times reported that in the days before the 1967 Six-Day War Israel planned to insert a team of paratroopers by helicopter into the Sinai. Their mission was to set up and remote detonate a nuclear bomb on a mountaintop as a warning to belligerent surrounding states. The greatly outnumbered Jewish state in a surprising turn of events effectively eliminated the Egyptian Air Force and occupied the Sinai winning the war before the test could even be set up. Retired Israeli brigadier general Itzhak Yaakov referred to this operation as the Israeli Samson Option.[21]

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

The best nuclear weapons policy will always be the French one of just nuking West-Germany out of spite*.

*They say it's because the Soviets would have to go through Germany to get to France but we all know the French are just itching to nuke Germany and I'm perfectly ok with that.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the first hit when googling "nuclear sub suez canal" shows an IDF submarine in the suez canal.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Chuka Umana posted:

99% chance Mossad has profiles on everyone in this thread.

I didn't die as a baby or am a disabled man so they didn't steal my identity

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/jul/16/israel

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Israel has 80 nukes at the most. 300 is impossible, Great Britain has 300 nukes and India has 150.

like half their budget would be going to nuclear weapons.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
funny story true story, Bibi's brother was in the division that would have been tapped to perform that mission

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

Israel has 80 nukes at the most. 300 is impossible, Great Britain has 300 nukes and India has 150.

like half their budget would be going to nuclear weapons.

The US had 30,000 nukes by 1965.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

funny story true story, Bibi's brother was in the division that would have been tapped to perform that mission

also a funny true story, Bibi's brother led the team that did Operation Entebbe and he died while doing it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

also a funny true story, Bibi's brother led the team that did Operation Entebbe and he died while doing it

Hey, that IS funny!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

human garbage bag posted:

The US had 30,000 nukes by 1965.

The us controlled 2/3s of the world, while Israel is the size of Delaware.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

Hey, that IS funny!

He was the only one on the team that died too.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the first hit when googling "nuclear sub suez canal" shows an IDF submarine in the suez canal.

egypt has been riding the razors edge between sweet sweet american foreign aid and "every arab country hating them for collaborating with the west" since anwar sadat (and we know how well that turned out for him)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Assuming Israel has a limited strike plan, a thing the US didn't even develop until the 70s and the DOD was forced into it.

Which again isn't what I said orginally, the Israelis may not physically be capable of the Samson option, but I don't think it's any more crazy than any American war plan to bring about nuclear holocaust. The Samson Option is entirely illogical, but Cold War era nuclear policy was highly illogical pretending to be sensible logic. Which is what I was getting at when I said it isn't any dumber than any other nuclear war plan we know about.

What I meant about it being stupider is that it's literally physically impossible for Israel to do the "Samson Option" the way people talk about it. I'm not going to disagree that the US's nuclear doctrine during the cold war was completely insane - but they could do it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What I meant about it being stupider is that it's literally physically impossible for Israel to do the "Samson Option" the way people talk about it. I'm not going to disagree that the US's nuclear doctrine during the cold war was completely insane - but they could do it.

Okay that's a fair a metric for it to qualify as stupider

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Spergin Morlock posted:

owned

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

He was the only one on the team that died too.

i wonder if he would have been a better PM than benjamin. i say this for the mossad agents reading this thread to wonder about. i have no idea, and i probably also have different criteria for "better"

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

It was G*d's punishment. Israel will accept the messiah when he returns now (he has already returned).

eve fartlow

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

Delaware controls the US though.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Delaware controls the US though.

eve fartlow

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mcclay posted:

eve fartlow

https://twitter.com/LeftFlankVets/status/1400225816819154954?s=20

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

:hai:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The US/Ukrainian governments are currently funding a milita with this insignia to fight against Russia.

It's just an ancient Norse black Sea symbol

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

World War Mammories posted:

if i die in a global conflagration it means i don't have to bother getting my life together, so who can say if its bad or not,

hell yeah :hfive:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

good? bad? i'm the guy who is dying in nuclear fire.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

PawParole posted:

Actually going by current territories, Palestine is the size of Delaware. Israel is the size of Vermont.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I don't even want to know how many thousands of nukes delaware has

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Israel's new ruling government is a triumvirate of a Ultra-Nationalist far-rightist who wishes to create a Jewish Reich, a European-loving Neoliberal centrist fencesitter, and an Islamist who wants Sharia law for Arab Israelis and said the Paris attacks were justified due to gay rights and loose women.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

Israel's new ruling government is a triumvirate of a Ultra-Nationalist far-rightist who wishes to create a Jewish Reich, a European-loving Neoliberal centrist fencesitter, and an Islamist who wants Sharia law for Arab Israelis and said the Paris attacks were justified due to gay rights and loose women.

seems fine

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

smarxist posted:

seems fine

Makes the Malaysian coalition look sane.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sara Roy's "Hamas and Civil Society in Gaza" came up as a book recommendation in the Marxism thread and I'd like to second it here. From Chapter 1:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The whole concept of an "Israel" is stupid and unrealistic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1400240378134077441

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/bentreyf/status/1399986884424736769?s=20

The Wikipedia page for Ma'on has a whole section on "Settler violence". Good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

:thunk: