Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

BeastPussy posted:

I can never ever figure out how to go around the hoods the same way and make it look good so I just cross my fingers and then throw a shitload of tape to finish near the stem and divert attention.

This is pretty much the same thing that happens whenever I have to wear a tie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Out MTB riding with a friend tonight, noticed his pedals which are knockoffs of mine, were angled weird. Pointed it out and he mentioned his feet has been slipping off tonight even though they're pinned flats. Fast forward 10 minutes, we figure out his pedals are loose so we stop to tighten them.

This is when I have a thought that his pedals are carbon copies of mine and he somehow put them on the wrong sides.

"dude there's an R on this pedal, see?"

He tried to tough it out against my protests that we call it a night but lasted another 2 minutes before one was hanging out of the crank by 15 degrees ending the night, and the life of those cranks. At least they were new, but cheap.

Dunno how he gorilla'd those threads in there, he's not a huge dude, and claimed it wasn't harder than usual. admitted he might have been high at the time of assembly

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

I went with the Karoo 2 because it seems to have a processor that’s not underpowered.

I'm not sure if processor power is that important for a thing that sits on my handlebars and records where I've been and might possibly tell me where to go. That's been a solved processor power problem for a long time.

Apr 7, 2003

There was a big thing in the eReader thread for months where people were pissed about the new Kindles not having USB-C ports. USB-C is completely useless for an Amazon e-reader that updates over wifi.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm not sure if processor power is that important for a thing that sits on my handlebars and records where I've been and might possibly tell me where to go. That's been a solved processor power problem for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIrtCZkIx8E&t=1096s

Having things be snappier just feels nicer (which isn't just based on the processor). You're right though in that the Garmin seems to function.

There was a big thing in the eReader thread for months where people were pissed about the new Kindles not having USB-C ports. USB-C is completely useless for an Amazon e-reader that updates over wifi.

People want usb-c for power delivery so they don't need to worry about having the right cable.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 3, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It was mildly annoying when I bought mini the big fire for her graphic novels and me a paperwhite a 2 years ago and hers was usb-c and mine wasn’t. If only because Amazon are sending out much higher quality usb-c cables.

Am I the only one who loves their pandemic bike above all others? It’s not the exact bike I wanted but it didn’t let me down by being out of stock, and it and I have been through some weird times in 2020/2021.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 3, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Berthoud sells expanding bar-end plugs with a little rearview mirror:

https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/798-525-bar-end-mirror-and-matching-plug-silver-anodized-and-leather.html#/11-color-black

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Am I the only one who loves their pandemic bike above all others? It’s not the exact bike I wanted but it didn’t let me down by being out of stock, and it and I have been through some weird times in 2020/2021.

Mine is a solid second place behind my DD, but they're very different bikes and the pandemic purchase is far and away the prettiest, so I'm not complaining

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

USB-C is a much more robust connector and soon to be more common charging port. It’s not solely about speed there.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah for power delivery alone USB-C is real nice. You aren't going to need the high current charging profiles for most bike devices, but only having to deal with one type of cable is nice.

When I was looking up how easy it is to swap batteries in my original ELEMNT for when the time comes I found a guy in Malaysia who also switched the connector in his from micro-USB to USB-C. It doesn't look like a hard job at all if I can find the part.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I genuinely can't think of the last time I plugged any device in to transfer data. Just make everything usb-c so I need less cables.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I take pictures as I unwrap the old tape and it has a 100% failure rate for helping me redo them.
I just refuse to use tape with a sticky backer, and do it thrice pretty much every time.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah for power delivery alone USB-C is real nice. You aren't going to need the high current charging profiles for most bike devices, but only having to deal with one type of cable is nice.
People who make devices which can't take a PD charging cable can rot in hell.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

XIII posted:

https://handupgloves.com/collections/shorties-gloves

I have a pair of Handups for basically any/all weather conditions and they've never let me down. All mine are full finger, but I'm sure the shorties are just as good. The summer weight ("Lite") fabric is great, which all of these appear to be made from.

Ah these look great but it doesn’t look like they’re readily available in post-Brexit UK!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there a reason bikes don't have dynamos or something to charge batteries? I mean in bikes where they have electronic shifters. It would be only a couple of watts. Maybe even don't have a battery at all and just use a capacitor to store the energy for gear changes?

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
When Shimano introduced di2 with the Nexave groupset it ran on a dynamo, they even had a rear dynamo hub. That was meant for a heavy city bike / hybrid though. When di2 returned with Dura-ace a dynamo would be far too heavy for a race bike. I kinda don't see a use case currently where dynamo and electronic gears would make much sense. E: A di2 rando bike maybe but that's such a niche of a niche.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I'm putting ultegra di2 on my audax bike. It'll have a dynamo at some point, but it's not worth the investment yet.

Ihmemies posted:

Is there a reason bikes don't have dynamos or something to charge batteries? I mean in bikes where they have electronic shifters. It would be only a couple of watts. Maybe even don't have a battery at all and just use a capacitor to store the energy for gear changes?

They're expensive, heavy and unnecessary. A battery needs to be recharged every few weeks (or months, if you do less riding).

Also bear in mind that a couple of watts is far, far, more than these devices need to run.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Dynamos are wicked heavy is most of the problem. You can also feel the 3w and while it doesn't change much to a ride, it's not as pleasant a feeling.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Capacitors are huge/heavy for any energy rating compared to batteries, dynamos are heavy and generally way too powerful for the energy needs of servo shifting.
Right now any bike with (di2, etap/wxs) electronic shifting is likely to either be
1) high end enough that the weight is undesirable
2) an e-bike where the propulsion pack provides the lighting/shifting power.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
About 5 years ago I saw a startup Dutch company that had turned an entire front wheel into a Dynamo/ERS e bike conversation kit - the main point of it was that it was swappable to any bike without any wiring and it would be on a constant recharge and then release.

I will go to my grave sad that I never got to own one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't understand how you'd convert a front wheel only, you'd have to torque/pedal sensing.

Did you mean the copenhagen wheel?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There's also Swytch which works on a front wheel motor.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah! see I think it might have been someone trying to rip off the Copenhagen wheel. Now I’m sad I can’t buy the Copenhagen wheel either :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's essentially a full kit, with a removable pack and pedal sensor.

Apr 7, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

People want usb-c for power delivery so they don't need to worry about having the right cable.

Everyone on god's green earth has three thousand micro-USB cables by now

e.pilot posted:

USB-C is a much more robust connector and soon to be more common charging port. It’s not solely about speed there.

I have never broken a micro-USB connector and I don't know anyone who has.

It's an absolutely trivial thing to base your purchases on.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Everyone on god's green earth has three thousand micro-USB cables by now

Yeah and they don't work with my phone, the thing I charge most and so am most likely to have a cable on me for.

Apr 7, 2003

Calling the CEO of Wahoo and threatening to beat him up unless he makes a bike computer with a USB-C port

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Calling the CEO of Wahoo and threatening to beat him up unless he makes a bike computer with a USB-C port

I like the USB-C connector on my new Bolt. Symmetrical connectors are the best.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

It's 2021, any new release that doesn't have USB-C should be rightfully marked down. Maybe not a dealbreaker for most people, but I can easily see why it's annoying.

Apr 7, 2003

Vando posted:

It's 2021, any new release that doesn't have USB-C should be rightfully marked down. Maybe not a dealbreaker for most people, but I can easily see why it's annoying.

Sennheiser said they kept micro-usb on their headsets because the cable retention is better than USB-C fwiw.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 3, 2021

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Though tbh about the weight of a dynamo system: with high end parts you'll gain maybe 300 grams on the front hub and save weight on the lights being very light without batteries. That's kinda approaching the territory of if you remember to take your phone with you or not.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

anyone in the Portland/Vancouver (the Oregon and Washington ones respectively) know of good bike fitting services?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Havana Affair posted:

Though tbh about the weight of a dynamo system: with high end parts you'll gain maybe 300 grams on the front hub and save weight on the lights being very light without batteries. That's kinda approaching the territory of if you remember to take your phone with you or not.

Racers generally don't carry a phone, or lights. On an audax bike? Yeah not a big deal.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Racers generally don't carry a phone, or lights

The ultra racers I know definitely have both and a dynamo hub. The fastest known times on things like the Arkansas high country are usually by people with lights and a hub.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
He’s probably talking about road racers (crits, TTs, road races, etc), not endurance/marathon type events.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Time posted:

The ultra racers I know definitely have both and a dynamo hub. The fastest known times on things like the Arkansas high country are usually by people with lights and a hub.

Ultra racing isn't time trialling or road racing. Remember that the question was about why high end electronic shifters aren't powered by dynamos.

Ultra racers also tend to be on audax bikes.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Since the shifters use very little electrical energy, it might be possible to have a sub-watt dynamo in the idler wheel of the derailleur with a capacitor for store.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Since the shifters use very little electrical energy, it might be possible to have a sub-watt dynamo in the idler wheel of the derailleur with a capacitor for store.

Potentially, but that complicates the system enormously for very very marginal benefit.

It's 100% possible to do, it's just not economically viable or useful.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ultra racing isn't time trialling or road racing. Remember that the question was about why high end electronic shifters aren't powered by dynamos.

Ultra racers also tend to be on audax bikes.

I get what you’re saying in relation to actual road racing or time trialing and take your point overall. I 100% agree it’s not needed for shifting - the battery capacity on di2 is pretty wild already

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I will never, ever buy a Swytch thingy, purely because of the youtube advert with the posho accent on those techbros and their bloody hipster penny farthing. Grr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

meltie posted:

I will never, ever buy a Swytch thingy, purely because of the youtube advert with the posho accent on those techbros and their bloody hipster penny farthing. Grr.

Yeah it's London wanker as hell