Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I literally stand in front of the cooler in the grocery store paralyzed with indecision on the brand of milk to buy. If the best before dates are the same, I'm totally hosed.

Willroc,

If you think you're going to buy it, at the very least check out some of the of the other things I mentioned earlier (spoiler, AOS), you might be able to get him down a bit more. The AOS in particular will very, very likely need to be done if it hasn't been. If you pay someone to do it, it will not be cheap. I did mine and it was a royal pita without dropping the motor. So much so, if I did it again I probably would drop the motor.

I would personally wait a bit for a different one, or maybe consider a Boxster but you seem to be pretty clear you want a 911.

And if you are going to do it, the "general rule" is early 99s are the best NA 996s to get.

We are allowed to want things that don't have a ton of logic behind it. Doesn't mean we do the smart thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Financially speaking, I don't want to have to sell all my doge, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Wow, we're so far beyond making good decision I really don't even know what to say.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Wow, we're so far beyond making good decision I really don't even know what to say.

I dunno, getting out of a scam cryptocurrency in order to buy a minimally depreciating hard asset seems like a great idea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you sell doge to finance a car, you have to indicate that, by law.

I got to really know Porsches from NFS5, and although the 356s and the Carrera RS were the highlights for me (the 996 was the latest and greatest model lol), given somewhat limited amounts I'm ready to drop on a car, a Boxster/Cayman really seems like a no brainer. Lower prices, simpler, cheaper to maintain. I don't see this really as much of a compromise really as it's also a better sports car imo.

Actually one of the main things stopping me is that I live in an apartment. So this means I'd need to either street park it (which people do of course, but there's not much space on the street (especially after I already park my 2 other cars)) or pay $100/month for a garage spot where I wouldn't be allowed to work on it anyway. So in conclusion, to buy a Porsche I'd have to buy a house first. And the only thing with more insane prices than used cars now are houses. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I dunno, getting out of a scam cryptocurrency in order to buy a minimally depreciating hard asset seems like a great idea.

When you look at it that way.......

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I will at least get a PPI but it would only be for my own information and peace of mind, I'm 99% sure the seller won't go $1 below $22k, regardless of what a PPI finds.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Motronic posted:

thread title?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Local BMW dealership got a 2007 Cayman S in on trade so I finally got to test drive one. Other than sticky buttons and way longer clutch throw than I was expecting I really liked it. Cayman S went from consolation Porsche if I can't find a pre-89 car to a very real contender. Was only able to do a few cloverleafs, a little back roads and a run down the interstate but I liked it a lot.

Asking in general but got off on a technicality I know you tracked your cayman and it looked like you had PASM in a couple of the track day thread pics you posted. For a car serving double duty is PASM worth holding out for? I'm going to ask around and see if I know anyone with a PASM car I can take for a spin.

Car I drove - https://www.graysonbmw.com/used/Porsche/2007-Porsche-Cayman+S-knoxville-b73b39380a0e09b1629d9cbef3bab9e0.htm ($34k, 44k miles, low spec)

edit: Is there anything else in the <$50k that I should look at that would be comparable? Am slightly considering Alfa 4c or an Elise.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 1, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

Local BMW dealership got a 2007 Cayman S in on trade so I finally got to test drive one. Other than sticky buttons and way longer clutch throw than I was expecting I really liked it. Cayman S went from consolation Porsche if I can't find a pre-89 car to a very real contender. Was only able to do a few cloverleafs, a little back roads and a run down the interstate but I liked it a lot.

Asking in general but got off on a technicality I know you tracked your cayman and it looked like you had PASM in a couple of the track day thread pics you posted. For a car serving double duty is PASM worth holding out for? I'm going to ask around and see if I know anyone with a PASM car I can take for a spin.

Car I drove - https://www.graysonbmw.com/used/Porsche/2007-Porsche-Cayman+S-knoxville-b73b39380a0e09b1629d9cbef3bab9e0.htm ($34k, 44k miles, low spec)

edit: Is there anything else in the <$50k that I should look at that would be comparable? Am slightly considering Alfa 4c or an Elise.
I did have PASM and yes if you are planning to commute and track the same car it is 100% worth holding out for. In sport mode the body control is pretty close to what you would get with a dedicated track setup, and in comfort mode it was easy commuting 30 miles each way. They held up to a good amount of abuse - I once jumped the car about a foot at the corkscrew - over ~35 track days and ~80K miles. I asked my mechanic about whether we needed to replace/rebuild them and he said, if there's no PASM fault you don't need to touch them. I did know some 987 owners who swapped their stock non-PASM setups for Bilstein PSS9s and did live with them on the street :shrug:

Personally I couldn't do Elise because I live in the city and couldn't imagine getting in and out of parking spots with the manual steering (also $15K clamshells if you get backed into)

If your budget is $50K you could do a really cherry 987.2S and keep it forever and honestly if I had any sense I'd do the same

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Considering that Cayman is the same gen as my Boxster the clutch feeling long might be something to check. As for anything else under 50k sports car wise https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/845698761

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

got off on a technicality posted:

Personally I couldn't do Elise because I live in the city and couldn't imagine getting in and out of parking spots with the manual steering (also $15K clamshells if you get backed into)

The only one I've driven is an Exige on A7s but the steering didn't feel heavy in comparison to a depowered Miata or unmanageable at all, but I would also realistically not drive one around on the street. It is a completely different category of car in comparison to the Cayman for sure.

For a track only car? Exige any day of the week. Car you intend to use regularly? Cayman

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

willroc7 posted:

I will at least get a PPI but it would only be for my own information and peace of mind, I'm 99% sure the seller won't go $1 below $22k, regardless of what a PPI finds.

this is why you get a PPI, it's not a negotiation ploy

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

$50k is absolute highest I'm willing to go, I'd be much happier to find something in the 30-40k range. Elise/Exige is a different type of car for sure and if I was doing a ton of track days I might consider it but I also have the FF1600 race car so I don't need something that hardcore. In my budget there's occasionally an Alfa 4c but that's another car I haven't been able to test drive. Every review and friend I've talked to has also given the edge to the Cayman over the 4c.

Speaking of PSS9 on the street there is this car which seems pretty well prepared but is probably too much for primarily a DD- https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/garrisonville-2007-porsche-cayman-6/7325649688.html

I'm seeing a lot of early delivery 2006 silver on black cars with the following options in the 22-28k range. It is kind of tempting to grab one of these, do the basic track reliability mods and drive the hell out of it. Haven't seen any with the auto climate which I would really like to have.

BigPaddy posted:

Considering that Cayman is the same gen as my Boxster the clutch feeling long might be something to check. As for anything else under 50k sports car wise https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/845698761
Link doesn't work for me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This version is lower spec but should come in under budget

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ok let’s try again https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/845698761/overview/

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

Speaking of PSS9 on the street there is this car which seems pretty well prepared but is probably too much for primarily a DD- https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/garrisonville-2007-porsche-cayman-6/7325649688.html
It looks really good and those parts are p much all "forums consensus." Also you may need a power steering cooler especially if you're planning to track it in a hot climate. Also I bent 2 of those 19" Carrera Classic wheels on random potholes (1 more came pre-bent) before I said gently caress it and switched to 18" Carrera IIIs. They do look really good in person though

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm seeing a lot of early delivery 2006 silver on black cars with the following options in the 22-28k range. It is kind of tempting to grab one of these, do the basic track reliability mods and drive the hell out of it. Haven't seen any with the auto climate which I would really like to have.
Mine was a '06 launch car and they're generally very well equipped. Auto climate is nice but if a car was otherwise perfect I don't think I'd hold out for it

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

How is that typically done? Remove driveshaft? Front axles? All of the above?

Removing the driveshaft is the main part then removing the diff plus axles is optional. Nothing needs to be replaced or programmed and it's reversible so it's only basic labor that can be done in a driveway with jack stands. It's pretty common on turbos to make GT2 clones but that always seemed backwards to me because the C4/C4S would benefit the most from improved balance while modified 996TTs can be terrifying enough with AWD intact.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Pfffft, amateur. It took me years to finally pull the trigger on an OLED to replace my lovely plasma TV.

I bought the first house I saw. :v:

Hey my 2010 Plasma is great gently caress off (I need an OLED)

I also am starting to save for what should become a Taycan. The wagon version. 18 months to go.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There's rumours going round that they will make a Sport Turismo version (ie, non raised and without the Audi Allroad style wheel arches)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

There's rumours going round that they will make a Sport Turismo version (ie, non raised and without the Audi Allroad style wheel arches)

if this happens rip to my wallet

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hey my 2010 Plasma is great gently caress off (I need an OLED)

I also am starting to save for what should become a Taycan. The wagon version. 18 months to go.

Yeah, our 2017 Macan is coming up on 5 years in October and just hit 120k miles. The mileage should be piling on more slowly, but I figure we'll hit 150k or so in the next 2 years and we'll be looking for something to replace it. Now that we're moving and will be driving significantly less, an electric car may be in the cards as a replacement, versus the 4Runner that my wife says she wants.

If this ends up being true:

knox_harrington posted:

Then

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

...rip to my wallet

We're actually going to be in LA for a week long vacation in a few weeks. I was supposed to go to PECLA last year, but things ended up being cancelled due to COVID. I'm going back to drive the Cayman GTS 4.0. :getin:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Rod Emory is up to his usual shenanigans.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40874/outlaw-porsche-builder-rod-emory-is-creating-a-baja-porsche-macan

Although, I suspect that the folks over at Delta 4x4 in Germany aren't amused since they've been doing the same thing since at least 2017.

https://delta4x4.com/aktuelles/produktneuheiten/porsche-macan/
https://shop.delta4x4.com/fahrzeughersteller/porsche/macan-95b-2014/?p=1

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Anyone know any good mechanics in or near Toledo? Lol

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Anyone know any good mechanics in or near Toledo? Lol

There's no reason to give up and settle with a middling car in a seller's market especially when you've been looking so long. Strongly consider going out of the area if you're determined to get a 996 this spring/summer because I'd rather get one sight unseen with better credentials than trying for a midwest car. I've bought a 996 C2, 968, and 966TT sight unseen with only good basic info from out of the area without issue while I was in NE Ohio so I don't get the PPI requirement on watercooled cars. You're more likely to fine a good southern car with a basic PPI for less than you are with a northern or midwest car with a flawless report and just as likely to get completely boned with a catastrophic failure so you might as well benefit from the better overall condition and selection.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I take your point for sure and I have not been limiting my search geographically up to this point. This just is the best one I’ve gotten my teeth into at this point. In the market I’m looking at, $22k for a 65k mile car doesn’t strike me as middling. Even C4 cabs are pulling near 30k on BaT. It’s also been difficult to strike a deal with any distant seller when they have locals banging down their door with cash in hand.

I guess that’s why I’m having so much trouble walking away from this one. I’ve watched the market soar while I’ve been shopping and I don’t see it going anywhere else but up from here. For a long time I figured I could get something better by waiting, but I’m not so sure that is the case any more. Maybe the days of 15-20k runners are over and I simply missed my chance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

I've bought a .......968

:swoon:

I missed my time on buying one of those. Or even getting a 6 speed transaxle out of a wrecked one for my 944.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Just putting this here
https://youtu.be/QAxxJ2i28PQ
I see a lot more surface rust underside. Jack point area, fasteners, etc. Looks like a pretty good oil leak on the engine too (AOS?).

I'm not saying the rust is anything but surface or serious, but I've never seen anything like that in my limited experience.

I'm not sure what those gaps are under the corner markers of the headlights. I don't think I've got anything like that - I'll take a look.

I wonder if it has something to do with headlight washers... even though yours doesn't have washers? One thing that is weird is that while it appears to have Xenons (and fairly clouded headlight covers), it does not have code 601 for the Xenons. That tells me someone retrofitted them and may/may not have put the autolevelers on. And I don't think I've seen a Xenon without washers... but I can't say I've really looked.

I wonder if it got into a front end accident and was replaced with a different cover?. The more I look at it, that front nose might have a slightly different spray... but boy it's so slight I might be seeing things.

I don't know man, there are some weird things going on there. Not necessarily a big deal, just strange.

Personally, I'd inquire on that red one. But I've always been a sucker for red 911s with a rear wiper.

So I went through the service records again and the oil separator was done along with the IMS (LN ceramic) and the RMS in December 2018. None of those things should be leaking again already, right? Any other thoughts on what it might be, then?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

So I went through the service records again and the oil separator was done along with the IMS (LN ceramic) and the RMS in December 2018. None of those things should be leaking again already, right? Any other thoughts on what it might be, then?

It's been 3 years. It could be anything in those areas that wasn't sealed properly. Or any number of new things!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Probably not, but like ^^ it's been 3.5 years, it could be anything. It's not unheard of for a seal to wear into the shaft (the whole reason speedi-sleeves exist) so even if the seal is fine it could be leaking around the crank again. Who knows.

Personally not a fan of the ceramic IMS bearing either. The whole concept of a ceramic bearing for something like this is a little misguided, but that's another conversation. I've seen many anecdotal reports of those failing so replacing an early double row with one is a actually a detraction IMHO but :shrug:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

If an engine is consuming 1 quart per 4k miles and the AOS / RMS are known good, and there are no visible oil leaks/dripping under the car to go after, I would personally walk away

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think a couple of the underside photos showed at least one pretty major wet spot so it's leaking something for sure... no idea if it was qt/4k big though.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Is there a good way to search fb marketplace nationwide? I've been using searchtempest for cl but it's been pretty dead ever since they started charging the $5 to list. Any other good places to look?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I do not do Facebook (and not :911: ) but have you looked at Rennlist classifieds?

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/vehicles/porsche-2/911-m10/1999-2004

eh:

OH gently caress ME. Why did I have to look? This is less than 2 hours away from me.
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1249179

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 3, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Rennlist is the only place to buy/sell imho.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

I do not do Facebook (and not :911: ) but have you looked at Rennlist classifieds?

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/vehicles/porsche-2/911-m10/1999-2004

eh:

OH gently caress ME. Why did I have to look? This is less than 2 hours away from me.
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1249179

Do it and sell willric you 996. Bing bang boom a AI success story

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That front bumper match is ungodly bad

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

:swoon:

I missed my time on buying one of those. Or even getting a 6 speed transaxle out of a wrecked one for my 944.

I sold it when I moved along with the C2 because moving 3 cars and all our stuff was bad enough but I do regret it. I had more fun in it than the TT because it was so easygoing and low profile in comparison.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Is there a good way to search fb marketplace nationwide? I've been using searchtempest for cl but it's been pretty dead ever since they started charging the $5 to list. Any other good places to look?
http://facebook-marketplace-us-nationwide-search.gmoz.biz/ Nationwide FB search

Think I found my next car, way out in Washington state but it checks all the boxes.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Looking nationwide using that site (thanks, btw) and on rennlist, there is absolutely nothing at the $22k price point without a soft top. Even then, it’s slim pickings. If I don’t take a chance on this once, even though it’s not perfect, I’m afraid I’ll miss my chance at owning one. Are you guys seeing something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

That front bumper match is ungodly bad

truly wretched