Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't know how rich the CFL's history is but them "rebranding" as the XFL doesn't sit right with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It makes 0 sense for the XFL to merge with the CFL. How does that help the XFL business model? I don't see Fox wanting to show Rider/Argo games and the whole reason for the XFL is tv money.

If anything I think there's gonna be marketing help from the XFL in exchange for player movement/sharing stuff.

i'm like the only person who said working together doesn't necessitate merging and you quote me with this question? disrespect. you hate me. you want to kill me. it could just be cooperative advertising

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Actually its because I'm agreeing with you, friend.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I don't know how rich the CFL's history is but them "rebranding" as the XFL doesn't sit right with me

Technically speaking the modern CFL was formed in 1958 but the Grey Cup has been awarded 107 times. I think killing the CFL name would doom it in Canada at least.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

If anything I think there's gonna be marketing help from the XFL in exchange for player movement/sharing stuff.

Yeah, I can't imagine it would be anything more, maybe some funding from the XFL

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine it would be anything more, maybe some funding from the XFL

Yeah, marketing and contract rules would make the most sense. Maybe some operational stuff like a joint scouting combine but I can’t imagine rules and games making much sense for wither party.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You guys are forgetting what the rock is cooking!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Poutine?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Go Defenders

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The USFL is back, baby!

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1400446227725094913

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
But why?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
USFLINO

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Man wouldn't have gone to the moon with that defeatist attitude, man was meant to soar and play the football at all times of the year.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Are we gonna get Bandit Ball back as part of this?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
As long as they keep Donald Trump away, maybe they'll have a chance!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

As long as they keep Donald Trump away, maybe they'll have a chance!

Actually I think they should approach him and get him involved in all the day to day business to keep him very busy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Actually I think they should approach him and get him involved in all the day to day business to keep him very busy.

He's pathologically incapable of putting in a full day's work.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

He's pathologically incapable of putting in a full day's work.

Obviously he’d be a complete disaster and “work” 15 minutes a day max but you could get him ranting about the current state of uppity players ruining the NFL for a good 8 straight hours a day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

You say "why?" I say "why not?"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Unless they have a jugs machine launching footballs directly into his tiny dong nonstop, I never want to see that fucker on TV ever again until they’re putting him in his grave.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Darude - Adam Sandstorm is my friend

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It's funny they just announced this as I just started reading this book about the USFL on Kindle Unlimited three days ago and now it's back:

https://www.amazon.com/Football-Buck-Crazy-Crazier-Demise/dp/0544454383

Maybe I should read a book about Metroid next. :thunk:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

It's funny they just announced this as I just started reading this book about the USFL on Kindle Unlimited three days ago and now it's back:

https://www.amazon.com/Football-Buck-Crazy-Crazier-Demise/dp/0544454383

Maybe I should read a book about Metroid next. :thunk:

Are there any good books about Quake?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Are we gonna get Bandit Ball back as part of this?
It won’t be real Bandit Ball unless Spurrier and Burt Reynolds are involved somehow.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Laslow posted:

It won’t be real Bandit Ball unless Spurrier and Burt Reynolds are involved somehow.

Then someone find Spurrier and get a time machine ASAP

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KaplanSportsBiz/status/1407443794950303745

quote:

Last week, the administrator Peter Hurwitz wrote the court, he is “prepared to calculate the rejection damages in the amount of $7,280 ($1,040 weekly salary multiplied by seven weeks remaining under the Player Contract).”

However the players will not get $7,280, that is just what Hurwitz determined is a legitimate claim. Farrow estimated players would get eight to 12 percent of that.

Some are set to get under $600 and it won't be received until year's end at the earliest

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Vince McMahon being involved in any type of business venture should be a giant red siren that you should stay far away.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EKF1eVGQfc

Its back, again, baby.

Also the merger stuff with the CFL is dead as it never made any drat sense.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Also the merger stuff with the CFL is dead as it never made any drat sense.

No idea how it would have even worked. The markets that would interest the XFL (Toronto and Vancouver) would care even less about the XFL than they do about the CFL. And the places that care about the CFL are places that the XFL wouldn’t want either due to market size, travel or both. And those places would bail hard on an Americanized game.

Maybe Montreal would work?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

love da oilers baby lets go oilers

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
lmfao, I don't know why Houston / Edmonton is coming into the picture now that the XFL is back but sure:

LET'S GO OYLURRS.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

:ssh:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The CFL has real fans and a real history, it would frankly be a spit in the face of those fans to merge with a joke league.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just need the AAF or whatever the gently caress to come back and we can get a proper pro/rel setup in this country

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

barnold posted:

just need the AAF or whatever the gently caress to come back and we can get a proper pro/rel setup in this country

There was never gonna be relegation but one of the biggest selling points of the AAF was how since they were directly associated with the NFL they wouldn’t be like all the other foolish failed spring leagues and had legit financial and institutional backing but lmao turns out it was basically all a scam.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i just think it'd be hilarious for american football to unify under a pro/rel pyramid and piss off all the MLS fans who have been begging for it for decades with no success

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There was never gonna be relegation but one of the biggest selling points of the AAF was how since they were directly associated with the NFL they wouldn’t be like all the other foolish failed spring leagues and had legit financial and institutional backing but lmao turns out it was basically all a scam.

Who could have guessed that the guy that couldn't buy a partnership in the Vikings in 2005 and defaulted on his minority ownership in the team, wouldn't be able to help finance a football league.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ahh.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

:hmmyes: Ah, a person of taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
Since I'm fairly certain the CFL thread is long dead and buried, and this is the 'other' league thread:

Never step foot in Saskatchewan
https://www.tsn.ca/saskatchewan-rou...ouH_BJ9mPDa61lA