Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

He was supposed to be half scared still. This wasn't an error. It's just incredibly stupid. He was "one face" cause the Harvey personality was dormant and big bad Harv or whatever you wanna call his bad side took over.

:psyduck: But... like... that's how he is most of the time anyway?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's been

One face

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I would have thought that the part of the name Two-Face liked was the Two. Could have renamed himself Two Eyes or Two Ears.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

:psyduck: But... like... that's how he is most of the time anyway?!

I feel like "it was incredibly stupid" covered this part. I think that was the first new 52 book I read and it set the tone for that entire era.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Aphrodite posted:

Last I saw there are no specifics on which studios are being sold off or not but I doubt they sell off Rocksteady. Their entire catalog is first party properties.

I can't find it anymore, but I swear I saw like Jeff Gertsman tweet out that they couldn't find anyone in WB Games who know how any of this would end up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

That first Walking Dead game gripped me something fierce.

I honestly liked them all, except for the third one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alhazred posted:

I honestly liked them all, except for the third one.

The one where they suddenly decided the problem with the series was playing as Clementine?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

The one where they suddenly decided the problem with the series was playing as Clementine?

The one where the guy you're playing as has no personality and you can get your brother killed, gently caress his wife and still honor your father's wish about loving your brother as long as you don't fight back in one scene.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Marvel game from Xcom makers leaked before official announcement.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1400587141743353860?s=20

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I never knew I wanted something so bad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hydra agent is 2 feet from you. Hulk performs Thunder Clap!

Thunder Clap misses.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sounds awesome

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Sounds good to me. Probably the closest we'll get to a new Freedom Force, too.

I still hold out hope for a Resident Evil X-Com-style game.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm a huge fan of FiraX-Com and from very early on playing the first game, I thuoght it would work great as a SHIELD game, so this is basically me reading the tea leaves correctly as far as I'm concerned

That being said, curious to see how it actually turns out. I think just making it into a turn based Avengers game or whatever would be a bit eh, but maybe something like a mix of orthodox Xcom and Chimera squad where you have a bunch of random/user generated grunts and one hero character leading them into each mission.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tentatively I've already got 80 hours in this. Which is still less than half I have for XCOM 2 so I'm pretty stoked.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm a huge fan of FiraX-Com and from very early on playing the first game, I thuoght it would work great as a SHIELD game, so this is basically me reading the tea leaves correctly as far as I'm concerned

That being said, curious to see how it actually turns out. I think just making it into a turn based Avengers game or whatever would be a bit eh, but maybe something like a mix of orthodox Xcom and Chimera squad where you have a bunch of random/user generated grunts and one hero character leading them into each mission.

It'll probably be like chimera squad where you can just choose your roster from a number of heroes and they all must survive

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

It'll probably be like chimera squad where you can just choose your roster from a number of heroes and they all must survive

Yeah, I'm envisioning basically a turn based Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Speaking of, it's not really 'video' games, but Marvel just announced a new TTRPG.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Hydra agent is 2 feet from you. Hulk performs Thunder Clap!

Thunder Clap misses.

That's x-com marvel, baby!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Anxiously looking forward to hundreds of posts wondering how Hawkeye could miss at point blank range with a 97% hit percentage.

That said, I like the idea of a turn based strategy game like this and think it could work really well so long as they're able to make each character feel and play really different from each other and vary the missions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BiggerBoat posted:

Anxiously looking forward to hundreds of posts wondering how Hawkeye could miss at point blank range with a 97% hit percentage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Dungeons of Dredmore answer. You never miss, but sometimes the enemies dodge.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So they crossed Xcom with Marvel First Strike? Sounds good mang

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So they crossed Xcom with Marvel First Strike? Sounds good mang

We have no real idea what the game will be like, we just know it's the same development studio as XCom.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Firaxis have made other style games, but Schreier has good sources so if it wasn't XCOM styled he'd probably have said something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Firaxis have made other style games, but Schreier has good sources so if it wasn't XCOM styled he'd probably have said something.

Instead it turns out to be Civilization: Marvel Edition.

Wakana OP, plz nerf.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Gimme Herzog Zwei, Marvel style.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

With the merging of two of my favorite things ever (X-Com and Marvel), I don't know what I'm going to tell my wife when this comes out. "Nice knowin' ya"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It not you; it XCOM, baby.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If it is straight up "you control a team of Avengers/Marvel heroes and fight through Hydra goons, Ultron robots and such" then I hope they're allowed to get weird with it and have some odder picks like Ghost Rider or Blade alongside the obvious inclusions of Iron Man, Cap, etc.

I also hope they make the characters look very different from the MCU since that Square Avengers game got way too much poo poo for having the characters look sort of like them but not really and that ended up being the least of that games problems. Just got tired of the easy dunking on them for something that was ultimately somewhat reasonable (they couldn't afford 5 mega actors likeness rights). It'd also just be good to get some more of the vibrancy and weirdness of the comic costumes in if possible.

Somebody mentioning Freedom Force has made me extremely nostalgic for those games and if an X-Com alike could capture that tone, that'd be loving great but that's probably too much to expect. To people decrying this as some utter waste of Firaxis's talents, I have to imagine they pitched Disney on something and this isn't Disney going from out of nowhere "you know what'll really sell gangbusters? A Marvel turn based strategy game by the X-Com guys, lets force them to make one!". So it might actually be good potentially.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

To be fair, I don't think anyone wanted the Square game to have actor likenesses. We would have all preferred if they didn't look like them at all. The weird half measure thing they did was distracting and bad.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

To be fair, I don't think anyone wanted the Square game to have actor likenesses. We would have all preferred if they didn't look like them at all. The weird half measure thing they did was distracting and bad.

Yeah, I get that somewhat but I didn't find them particularly distracting I guess? It felt like a pretty standard thing that has happened in cartoons and even the comics, the characters will vary from issue to issue. It just seemed like that game got a lot of stick for it which felt somewhat undeserved but to be fair it did debut with one of the most powerfully confusing and evasive pitches in videogame history for what should have been an easy slam dunk. I think that probably contributed, people could barely understand what the gently caress the game even was and so the "hah, they look like the Avengers stunt doubles" thing took off cause there wasn't much else to talk about.

Then it came out and was quite poo poo, probably the second worst launch of one of these games as a service games after Anthem? So ultimately, it deserved all of that mockery and more.

Also I thought I was posting the "hey guys maybe don't poo poo all over this game post" in the X-com thread and not the comic book games thread so I feel a bit stupid now cause most of the people in here aren't pre-emptively making GBS threads on it. Oops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Assuming the game is "Xcom, but with super heroes" I kinda assume it will ha a pretty big roster, just looking at the mobile games, the Ultimate Alliance games, that mmorpg that was kinda like Diablo, there's clearly not some continuity nerd in their games division saying "it's ridiculous you have Daredevil and the Hulk fighting the same number of bad guys with about the same difficulty."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Square Montreal's Deus Ex games, and the art direction in Avengers reminds me most prominently of those titles, which is to say I think they looked ugly

It probably wouldn't have been as irritating if there wasn't say, every other single superhero game as a point of comparison. For instance, I think the intensely Unreal Engine 3 look that everyone has in the Arkham games has is kind of off-putting and weird, but even that isn't just as plain underwhelming as the look of Squarevengers

That being said Firaxis' games, while not visual tour de forces, have always had a nice functional workmanlike quality for them so this will probably look fine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not an official update but a YouTube friend of mine discovered you can do air tricks in the middle of a fight in Miles Morales. So you can do combos within combos, styling in between attacks. Not sure if Insomniac even counted on being able to do this but hopefully it becomes a legit mechanic in the next game.

A sample here:

https://youtube.com/shorts/AFlDLoiJqAg?feature=share (can't embed YouTube Shorts?)

My full video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5auI6j-mf8

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 7, 2021

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

that's just full of the exaggerated swagger of a young Black teen

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
having never played it i can't tell what's different about it, but it sure looks cool

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

having never played it i can't tell what's different about it, but it sure looks cool

Basically all the flips and twists and feet-grabs he does in mid-air you see Miles doing in between attacks are Air Tricks that are usually only done while out webswinging around the city. Because of multiple things being on the same buttons, context usually prevents you from doing tricks in a fight.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I haven't played Xcom in a long time but I don't recall it having the vast range of powers that a group of Avengers might (flight, phasing through walls, jumping a half a mile, summoning lightning strikes, magic spells, ricocheting projectiles, bullet proof) and the idea of something like this is really intriguing to me. I didn't care much for the top down Ultimate Alliance/Xmen Legends style of games because I couldn't see what the gently caress was going on half the time and felt they moved too fast. Too much happening at once.

A turn based approach might really allow the player to appreciate the differences in the heroes and plan out a lot of cool different strategies.

Also, aren't most of the Xcom levels relatively flat too? Adding a serious vertical element to things sounds super cool along with the idea of picking your team accordingly. Downtown battle amidst skyscrapers? You need Thor, Hulk and Iron Man. Flight. Underground/stealth Hydra lab? Then Widow, Hawkeye, Panther and Cap. Inter-dimensional weird poo poo you need Doc Strange and Scarlet Witch. And so forth. The research stuff could be super cool too where Stark and SHIELD analyze the alien tech/Red Skull treasures/Asgardian artifacts or whatever.

The trick will be to vary the levels enough that players just don't always take Hulk, Thor and Iron Man every level which actually doesn't seem hard if they put some thought into it and just don't slap the license on it and ship it out half assed. You'll need levels where Starlord, Widow, Hawkeye and such have something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guardians action game where you play as Star Lord, not movie likenesses but movie aesthetics just announced. Out this year.