Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wasn't most of the " BREWING YOUR OWN STUFF WILL KILL YOUUUUUU" poo poo partly propaganda, but derived from the moonshiners that would use whatever poo poo they could scrap together, so you'd be introducing alot of poo poo like lead and other unwanted chemicals into the mix?

I guess when you are constantly hunting them down, and they having to quickly build, brew what they got and move on, sometimes Quality Control slips, Whoopsie!

and also turns out when you make something black market, there are no controls on it, so unscrupulous people will do whatever without care what happens to the end consumer!

You have to be a real idiot moonshiner to blind or kill yourself; dangerous bootleg liquor was much more commonly the result of adulteration by distributors or deliberate denaturing of alcohol with methanol.

It's still distinct from beer brewing, where even a real idiot brewer can't produce something which is both unreasonably dangerous to drink and palatable enough for you to drink dangerous amounts. It's one of the little magics of fruit/grain fermentation that pretty much every failure results in something more undrinkable than dangerous.

Since it's still the funny pictures thread, some bootlegging:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Timotheous Venture posted:

Hypothetically what laws are you breaking by putting a big graphic of a red traffic light on the back of your van just to gently caress with nearby Teslas?

they'd have to prove it first since putting images of traffic lights, stop signs etc. on your vehicle is not illegal and really its on tesla to not get hosed up by these things

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Killer robot posted:

You have to be a real idiot moonshiner to blind or kill yourself; dangerous bootleg liquor was much more commonly the result of adulteration by distributors or deliberate denaturing of alcohol with methanol.
Especially since the treatment for methanol poisoning is... ethanol.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Methanol isn’t a direct fermentation product, it comes from the breakdown of pectin. So if your sugar source doesn’t contain pectin, methanol isn’t a concern. Historically a lot of shiners used corn, so methanol was produced. If you’re using wheat or rye or, say, molasses, no pectin and no methanol.

Interesting! I didn't know that.

That still does include grapes and a lot of other fruit (I guess if you're making brandy or something). Personally, I'm still not going to trust Joe Q Rando's moonshine anyway, but maybe that's baseless...

Also, while reading up on it, I found https://www.methanolmoonshine.com.au/ which has to be about the dumbest name they could have picked...

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Lived with a guy who made a homemade still out of a big copper pot, but he used lead solder for the joints instead of silver (saving a few dollars on silver after spending like $100 on the copper pot and tubing) so I didn't drink any of the shine. It was dyed blue because he filtered it with aquarium activated carbon. He works at Google now.

https://twitter.com/boozemunkee/status/1400043004333858817?s=20

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Johnny Aztec posted:

I guess when you are constantly hunting them down, and they having to quickly build, brew what they got and move on, sometimes Quality Control slips, Whoopsie!

Random amateurs learning by doing to make a quick buck is probably a good way to repeatedly make the same dumb mistakes.

My great grandpa was quite deaf. We happened by his house once when most of his windows were blown out. We found him as usual in his chair reading a book unaware that his DIY still had blown up his basement.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Killer robot posted:

Since it's still the funny pictures thread, some bootlegging:

Probably better than the real Red Label.

Back when I worked at a liquor store people would buy it thinking that Johnny Walker Red was quality scotch. We would try to explain to them that Red Label is not quality sipping scotch, and it isn't even overpriced decent scotch like the rest of their products, it's just bad. But it was the cheapest one, so people always bought it. Fools.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SLOSifl posted:

*garbage*

It should be illegal to post your own tweets like this.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Spotted on the side of a bus in Guangzhou a couple days ago.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sounds refreshing.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
e: too late

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
:china:

poopnanners has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Jun 5, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

stereobreadsticks posted:

Spotted on the side of a bus in Guangzhou a couple days ago.

i was trying to decipher why golden angel moroni is in the shake when i finally saw the text

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"Duck poo poo" is the proper English name for that kind of tea ("Da Shi Xiang" Dancong oolong, lit. Duck poo poo Aroma) because the guy who cultivated it purposely gave it a silly name. It tastes very good, nice and sweet, and it's kind of expensive.

https://pathofcha.com/blogs/all-about-tea/the-story-behind-the-honey-sweet-duck-poo poo-aroma-oolong posted:

THE STORY OF DUCK poo poo OOLONG 

The tale of Duck poo poo Oolong tells us exactly how special it is. In fact, so special that farmers would spread lies about their precious tea so that others wouldn’t be tempted to steal it.

The soil on which the tea trees grow has a distinct yellowish-brown color. Thus, the farmers would tell outsiders that this color came from all the duck poo poo in the soil, hoping to dissuade interest.

For better or for worse, these lies may not have worked as well as the farmers hoped. Soon enough word about the aromatic Dan Cong Oolong which grows from duck poo poo had spread far and wide, provoking much interest to try this special tea that leaves such a pleasant lingering honey-sweetness.

Heath has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Jun 4, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYjP4nT2TpM

The owner and the rider of Deez Nutz speaks....

:stare: ...no wait.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

That still does include grapes and a lot of other fruit (I guess if you're making brandy or something).

Cider

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Is this the serious poo poo I was told I'd see?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
ARG bullet hells turned out different than I expected

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

hazardousmouse posted:

ARG bullet hells turned out different than I expected

Musk made a broken version of Clustertruck.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Racehorses have so many silly names that I imagine announcers don't even blink at them.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Racehorses have so many silly names that I imagine announcers don't even blink at them.

If they did it would kill all the horses anyway.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Want this.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For a moment I thought that was a zombie rattata, and I think I prefer that ending.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

they'd have to prove it first since putting images of traffic lights, stop signs etc. on your vehicle is not illegal and really its on tesla to not get hosed up by these things

Yeah, what are they going to do? Ban any and all public displays of anything resembling a traffic light from buildings, billboards, signs, cars, ban trucks from openly transporting traffic signals, mandate that any and all displays visible from roads are visually distinct from anything that a machine learning scanner would confuse for a traffic light?

Or maybe just tell Musk to gently caress off and not do public roads tests for a potentially dangerous beta build of his product that's being pushed to consumer vehicles without trained drivers to deal with issues that arise.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

...How does one get in? Assuming the powerplant's in the back...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the door is on the other side, as it appears to be a single seater.

It might also be one of those where you basically sit on the engine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a Fiat 126, I think.

Gotta have a door on the starboard.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Crain posted:

Yeah, what are they going to do? Ban any and all public displays of anything resembling a traffic light from buildings, billboards, signs, cars, ban trucks from openly transporting traffic signals, mandate that any and all displays visible from roads are visually distinct from anything that a machine learning scanner would confuse for a traffic light?

Or maybe just tell Musk to gently caress off and not do public roads tests for a potentially dangerous beta build of his product that's being pushed to consumer vehicles without trained drivers to deal with issues that arise.
Intent is considered in communication so if you are hauling stoplights or have designs for your company that are coincidentally stoplights you're probably fine. If you create a Tesla fucker on the side of your box truck for no reason but to gently caress Teslas the laws probably going to be a little less kind. It's possible for an accident to be both your and Musk's fault if you're purposefully antagonizing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

zedprime posted:

Intent is considered in communication so if you are hauling stoplights or have designs for your company that are coincidentally stoplights you're probably fine. If you create a Tesla fucker on the side of your box truck for no reason but to gently caress Teslas the laws probably going to be a little less kind. It's possible for an accident to be both your and Musk's fault if you're purposefully antagonizing.

I just really wanted a painted van with the rear doors painted with a Wizard fighting a skinny, three eyed Beholder shooting colored beams.

Maybe don't publicly beta test a product that some blood emerald robber baron cosplaying Tony Stark bought out so he could finance his escape from this planet so he never has to interact with another person again.

These things confuse so many thing with road safety signals that it's bat-poo poo they're even pushing this. You can try to push it as "well you're trying to gently caress with teslas" but they confuse even regular tractor trailer brake lights with signals or just straight up don't see something that's even a similar shade of blue to the sky. None of these features should be pushed for a "beta test" in public as if it were the latest Android build or a video game. But Musk is a capitalist with a cult so he can save money actually doing responsible development by getting dipshit nerds to risk their property and the lives of others.

Crain has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Jun 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess yeah it must be a cut down 126, so conceivably you might also crawl in through the rear hatch if they couldn't get the door to fit after cutting half the front off.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Crain posted:

Only one of these involves public officials pocketing obscene amounts of money.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Older model 126 has the engine lid open only. Later models had a hatchback (with the engine moved under the cargo area)

If this is the older model, the only way in is through that chopped down window. The other side seems to also have the back passenger window intact, which does not open.

E: yeah, looks like the older model. The newer one has bigger air vents on the side as they don't exist on the engine lid any more.

gbut has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Jun 4, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PainterofCrap posted:

...How does one get in? Assuming the powerplant's in the back...
Lay on top Superman style and control through the windows.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

zedprime posted:

Sitting on top Mr. Bean style and control through the windows.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Johnny Aztec posted:

and also turns out when you make something black market, there are no controls on it, so unscrupulous people will do whatever without care what happens to the end consumer!

Yes, but keep in mind that at this point the scrupulous US government was caring about the end consumer by actively poisoning alcohol.

https://slate.com/technology/2010/02/the-little-told-story-of-how-the-u-s-government-poisoned-alcohol-during-prohibition.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Yes, but keep in mind that at this point the scrupulous US government was caring about the end consumer by actively poisoning alcohol.

https://slate.com/technology/2010/02/the-little-told-story-of-how-the-u-s-government-poisoned-alcohol-during-prohibition.html

Wow, the chief medical examiner for New York at the time was Chuck Norris.