Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess what makes them seem not like onion rings is that the breading is so thick and they would've had to been cut from a pretty small onion. More calamari-sized.

Third option: fried sliced pork bung.

smellmycheese posted:

This one appears to be a Chinese takeaway version.

Edit : which apparently makes your penis shrink according to the accompanying article

https://www.irishmirror.ie/lifestyle/health/popular-munch-box-takeaway-could-7163764

I think something went wrong with your camera and you lost the blue channel of your RGB picture so everything turned yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah I see the issue, those are 'onion rings' ie fried rings of mostly mashed potato (probably?) with a bit of onion mixed in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Data Graham posted:

I love the implication in all this that onion rings are in ring shape because of some fad or tradition, not because that's how they come in nature
How does nature explain the bloomin' onion? It cant. There is no explanation for the bloomin' onion. Throw it in the air and it is a UFO.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

zedprime posted:

How does nature explain the bloomin' onion? It cant. There is no explanation for the bloomin' onion. Throw it in the air and it is a UFO.

The Bloomin' Onion™ is a mystery to scientists, it's true. One day we'll work out its secrets, and the global war for oil will be made obsolete.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Ah I see the issue, those are 'onion rings' ie fried rings of mostly mashed potato (probably?) with a bit of onion mixed in.

Correct

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope, chip shop onion rings are literally just a ring of onion dipped in batter and deep-fried. You never know what size you're going to get. It could be a big one from the equatorial region of the onion or a smaller polar onion ring.

The ones in that pic do look a bit odd though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tell that to any round here lol

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Tiggum not understanding that the rest of the world isn't like Australia twice back-to-back on the last page was pretty funny.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Nope, chip shop onion rings are literally just a ring of onion dipped in batter and deep-fried. You never know what size you're going to get. It could be a big one from the equatorial region of the onion or a smaller polar onion ring.

The ones in that pic do look a bit odd though.

Those ones look too regular, probably the cheapo processed and reformed onion variety.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

baw posted:

i prefer fried onion sticks

In high school, I worked in a chip truck that sold both onion rings and onion "chips", which were vaguely square shaped, so probably onion "petals" cut in half. The batter/onion ratio was much better than the rings and you didn't have to bite them in half like big rings. Vastly superior, so I have no idea why they aren't more popular.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Metaline posted:

In high school, I worked in a chip truck that sold both onion rings and onion "chips", which were vaguely square shaped, so probably onion "petals" cut in half. The batter/onion ratio was much better than the rings and you didn't have to bite them in half like big rings. Vastly superior, so I have no idea why they aren't more popular.

Circles are appealing.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Metaline posted:

petals are absolutely the superior method of onion consumption. it's a bunch of big bullshit that they got rid of them at Arby's

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aardvark! posted:

The Bloomin' Onion™ is a mystery to scientists, it's true. One day we'll work out its secrets, and the global war for oil will be made obsolete.

*australian accent* nao ring

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm so sorry for the way they make onion rings wherever you are. Stay strong, friend. Try a nice garlic dip or a hearty serving of ketchup and white vinegar.

e: I'm about to make kraft mac n cheese/kd for dinner and add a ton of ketchup and vinegar. I did it originally as a joke, because I was newly in Canada and "KD with ketchup" was a popular joke. But holy, it actually rules. I will post pics.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Jun 4, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JizzJohnsonJr/status/1400546932058099714

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
speaking of no ring

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm so sorry for the way they make onion rings wherever you are. Stay strong, friend. Try a nice garlic dip or a hearty serving of ketchup and white vinegar.

e: I'm about to make kraft mac n cheese/kd for dinner and add a ton of ketchup and vinegar. I did it originally as a joke, because I was newly in Canada and "KD with ketchup" was a popular joke. But holy, it actually rules. I will post pics.

I became a ketchup convert for KD, kudos to Canada

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

don't forget the peas (and/or tapeworm food)

what the gently caress they're real

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

that is the worst cheesesteak ive ever seen.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

HookedOnChthonics posted:

they're just nugs with a hole in 'em.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Looks like something that would drop out of a vending machine in a community college basement break area

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Have you never been to a white castle?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They should do a beef version, it would look like those seed starter rings

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It has "cheese" and "steak", what do you want GOD

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

This one hurts my very soul

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this is probably some poo poo from a top cheese steak place but they forgot to microwave it like normal.
because cheese steaks are garbage, from the trashcan

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

it's probably a gas station "roast beef" sandwich that someone made a joke about

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
looks like something you'd pull out from under an old refrigerator.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

uber_stoat posted:

they're just nugs with a hole in 'em.

i mean.... i'm assuming that the real reason for the hole is because the homogenized chicken goop gets shaped and/or partially cooked around a metal rod before being extruded and sliced off into the fryer, right?

now someone do the needful and make a chicken, peach ring, and donette salad

https://emilykylenutrition.com/rainbow-chicken-quinoa-salad/ posted:

Taste the rainbow with this vibrant, high-protein, cannabis rainbow chicken salad made with delicious fresh fruit for a hearty entree-style meal that is naturally gluten-free and finished with a zesty lemon cannabis vinaigrette.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

speaking of no ring

We danes had nothing to with "Danishes" :reject:

That said, we do have a pastry called "goose breast" which can look a little unsettling at the baker's counter

They are actually pretty good for a cake that's 90% whipped cream and marzipan.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Fruits of the sea posted:

That said, we do have a pastry called "goose breast" which can look a little unsettling at the baker's counter

we call those swiss rolls in america

im pretty sure we just gave everything the wrong country of orgin to piss euros off.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

HookedOnChthonics posted:

You can generally turn chicken slurry into whatever shape you want! They're the perfect food!

Fruits of the sea posted:

That looks disgusting but good lord I love both of those ingredients. Would.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

snergle posted:

we call those swiss rolls in america
what the hell are you on about

"swiss roll" in America means something like this:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The Bloop posted:

what the hell are you on about

"swiss roll" in America means something like this:

the little debbie snack sure but go get a bakery one and they look alot closer to his thing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

snergle posted:

the little debbie snack sure but go get a bakery one and they look alot closer to his thing

if you say so but like the first 100 pages of google image search are all spiral things like I posted

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

snergle posted:

nah, they're what Bloop posted.

they're also hard as gently caress to make, i tried and failed miserably a few times. thanks for the false confidence, GBBO :mad:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
a swiss roll is literally and definitionally a cake frosted and rolled up, like the little debbie version, so if your bakery is selling you a pile of whipped cream with frosting over it that isn't even loving rolled, like the goose-breast cake, um, i guess they are pretty idiosyncratic then. bc like. a swiss roll should definitely be rolled up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Johnny Truant posted:

nah, they're what Bloop posted.

they're also hard as gently caress to make, i tried and failed miserably a few times. thanks for the false confidence, GBBO :mad:

To be fair GBBO made it look hard as gently caress, my takeaway from that was to say "nope, will never attempt as long as I live"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Gotta get the cake cooked juuust right, so it doesn't break when you try (and fail) to roll it. But at least if it breaks, you still have a frosted cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993