Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

davidbix posted:

Huh? Jake's mom wasn't his sister. Grizzly raped the 12 year old daughter of his then-girlfriend, IIRC, marrying her after she found out she was pregnant. That's 1950s Texas for you, I guess

ah thanks for the clarification, I got mixed up because it's all so goddamn gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Just watched the Ultimate Warrior episode.
Popped huge for JR saying that he'd never seen a wrestler with less ability than Warrior.

I know this show has a limited run-time and cuts need to be made in the interest of the overall arc but I still feel there was some notable stuff that was skipped. Like his entire ill-fated WCW run. But I guess in the grand scheme of things it'd just be more of the same.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, there was more evidence of Warrior being horrible anywhere near a ring, especially his WCW run, in the Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior DVD from fifteen years ago, but it seems WWE may have successfully scrubbed that from the internet.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, there was more evidence of Warrior being horrible anywhere near a ring, especially his WCW run, in the Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior DVD from fifteen years ago, but it seems WWE may have successfully scrubbed that from the internet.

Nah, it's still pretty easy to find.

Can I say that, or is that :filez:?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I meant on YouTube or Dailymotion or the usual places.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The thing that kills me about Warrior is that some of his 'good' matches have horrible poo poo in them; his career vs. career match with Savage was really good, in spite of his talking to his hands and walking away, and killing Savage's elbow drop.

Looking back, so few of his matches are rewatchable anyway. I feel like his SNME match alongside the LOD vs. the 3 members of Demolition was fun, though.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

That absolutely disgusted me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm very sad I sold my DVD copy of that warrior doc.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Red posted:

The thing that kills me about Warrior is that some of his 'good' matches have horrible poo poo in them; his career vs. career match with Savage was really good, in spite of his talking to his hands and walking away, and killing Savage's elbow drop.
To be fair to Warrior (ugh), talking to his hands and walking away was his way of selling that he was shell-shocked from Savage kicking out of the pin after the big splash. Even Monsoon was selling it that way on play-by-play.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

I meant on YouTube or Dailymotion or the usual places.
There's a copy that's been sitting untouched on Veoh for a dozen years: https://www.veoh.com/watch/v17875888nDwazh4G

Picture quality is...suboptimal, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear Vice, this is a great but heavy show. Please can each season end with an episode of ‘Light Side of the Ring’ where a story of something nice and positive gets told. I know this is pro wrestling and such things are hard to come by, but sometimes you just need a bit of joy.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

At least Jake has a happy(ish) ending. Or at least happy present.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Everyone on the production side absolutely nailed this one. So proud to be involved with it.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’m 15 minutes into the latest episode, holy gently caress this is a depressing episode

I have kids and also came from a toxic parent family this hits, I just couldn’t imagine treating my kids like that

That was definitely an episode, really good just heavy

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 4, 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I had no idea Jake had gone through all of that until I saw one of Bix's tweets today, so I looked up the episode. That was ffffffucking not easy to watch.

I'm happy that Jake has gotten to where he is. I hope the siblings can reconnect with each other, if that's what they want. Good lord.

Jake talking about the difference between Aurelian and Jake is one of the most gutting things I've ever watched.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 4, 2021

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Wow yeah, that's a heavy as gently caress episode.
But I'm glad that the story is told. I've never heard about most of this before.
I'm glad Jake and most of his siblings seem to be in a good place now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i took a poo poo on this cop talking about how good and squeaky clean of a town he ran

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

i took a poo poo on this cop talking about how good and squeaky clean of a town he ran
I didn't take it that way at all. I thought it was just the usual "stuff like this didn't exactly happen regularly in [X small town]" kind of thing. Even now, the population of Tatum is under 1,400 people. It's a tiny town. Carl Gage was not going to be investigating felonies with any kind of regularity. (And to his credit, he seemingly had no issue coordinating with the Dallas PD and the Texas Rangers.) Everyone there still remembers this case. Jo Lynn's photo was left up on the wall at the sheriff's office for decades because they felt they weren't done until they found Faelyn's accomplice and/or some kind of evidence that would lead to closure for Jo Lynn's family.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 4, 2021

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, that was a really rough watch. It says a lot that the siblings are all senior citizens now but still can't reconcile together or even see each other again.

I get the feeling that Vice tried to put together a feel-good reunion like they did with Benoit's son and Nancy's sister, but the trauma just runs too deep (who knows what else happened that they're not willing to say on camera), and it seems like they're all ready to go to their graves without any real closure. Just a deeply sad story all around.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 4, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

as someone from a tiny town the usual "we ain't never seen anything like this" of tiny town sheriffs is routinely just the projection they put forth but yeah i don't want to go back and forth about it. i've pooped on him and it can't be undone. did I poop on a good guy? Could be. you compartmentalize mistakes like that and leave them locked away or else the harder days are too drat hard

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 4, 2021

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Robin's defense of her mom is heartbreaking.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dear Vice, this is a great but heavy show. Please can each season end with an episode of ‘Light Side of the Ring’ where a story of something nice and positive gets told. I know this is pro wrestling and such things are hard to come by, but sometimes you just need a bit of joy.

Maybe an episode about John Cena being half man, half make a wish granting organism

A prototype, if you will

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

As someone from a small town, any cop who says "things like *horrible thing* don't happen here" really means "normally when that horrible thing happens here, it's just the good Ol' boys doing it and we look the other way cause their our buddies at the bar and maybe even on the PD."

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

ironically for me the weakest part of DSOTR s3 is Jericho’s narration

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MJeff posted:

I had no idea Jake had gone through all of that until I saw one of Bix's tweets today, so I looked up the episode. That was ffffffucking not easy to watch.

I'm happy that Jake has gotten to where he is. I hope the siblings can reconnect with each other, if that's what they want. Good lord.

Jake talking about the difference between Aurelian and Jake is one of the most gutting things I've ever watched.

That's probably the part that hit me hardest, I do recall some of the family stuff from an earlier WWE DVD set they did on Jake where he talked about the abusive & manipulative poo poo his dad would do. Makes me sad that Jake & his siblings likely won't ever reconnect but never say never, it'd be nice to see but sometimes trauma like that just never leaves or gets easier to handle.

On a lighter note, it's always fun to see Jake's old promos, dude was one of the best on the mic when it came to his tone & personality. AEW has a gold mine with him especially if they let him work with guys on their promo skills, he's got such a great grasp on psychology.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Pretty good episode last night, I can see why Dana Warrior (lol) was pissed off. She (and the WWE as a whole) like to pretend they're actually super inclusive and want to sell some rainbow merch every June. This episode pretty conclusively showed that she pushed Warrior even further into his right-wing bullshit.

I listened to Cornette's podcast episode about this & it was hilarious hearing him call out Dana for getting Warrior into the right-wing bullshit. I watched the DSOTR Warrior episode again after & one of the dead giveaways for me was just how loving excited Dana got when she was talking about "conservative talk radio" & mentioned Rush Limbaugh. You could see it in her face & hear her voice go up a little like she was gonna talk Rush up, then stopped quick & shifted to trying to get blame off herself. No wonder WWE wanted to change the schedule to put the A&E doc out before DSOTR :lol:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 4, 2021

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
That was a hell of a heavy, depressing watch but it's one of the best episodes of the whole series

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
For how absolutely painful it was, Jake saying he's been sober 10 years and throwing in a "woo!" Plus the little bit of him being at AEW, clearly happy and fulfilled, was exactly the ending the episode needed.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i hope richard gets to talk to his siblings again

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I did like that all of the siblings came to the same conclusion that they all might be able to talk to another again now and that doing DSOTR might be a catalyst for it.

And hey, All Out is coming up and there's usually a Starrcast or something similar attached to it so maybe they can use that as the excuse to get everyone together again.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I would say that out of all of the siblings, Robin came out looking the strongest. Richard was obviously the one closest to his dad, Jake rightfully harbors bitterness towards him but he's got good things going for him now with sobriety and AEW, and Mike almost seemed oblivious to the fact that his dad was a monster.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I would say that out of all of the siblings, Robin came out looking the strongest. Richard was obviously the one closest to his dad, Jake rightfully harbors bitterness towards him but he's got good things going for him now with sobriety and AEW, and Mike almost seemed oblivious to the fact that his dad was a monster.

Obviously not knowing Mike personally, I would want to give him the benefit of the doubt and just say that coming to terms with how much of a monster his dad was must be an incredibly difficult thing, especially since he makes references to him being Superman. I might just be naïve, but it's at least a possibility.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I think that if I ever wanted to show a DSotR episode to a casual viewer it would be this episode. Jake is the lure as a recognizable face, but it all of the other stories that really draw you in.

Anyone else notice the random twin bed in the middle of Cornette's wrestling den when he interviews?

Excuse me I have to go back to playing Pokemon Snap to detox.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

CVagts posted:

Obviously not knowing Mike personally, I would want to give him the benefit of the doubt and just say that coming to terms with how much of a monster his dad was must be an incredibly difficult thing, especially since he makes references to him being Superman. I might just be naïve, but it's at least a possibility.

His dad also bailed him out of double digit DUIs and I don't believe he got the same "Mike eventually got sober" treatment as the rest, it's a very messed up sitch

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Watched it. Cried.

gently caress Grizzly Smith.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm watching this while my 4-year old daughter is asleep upstairs, and I can't fathom how anyone would ever treat their kids poorly, much less.... this.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there is a part where mike says he only ever really had first and second offenses and he doesn't know if his dad helped him out with DUIs and stuff. the next part is jericho narrating that he had tons of repeat offenses. he seems to know that he is naive which could be a coping mechanism for someone who isn't quite as naive as they say but every one of those people needed any way of coping with their situations they could get even if one of them only grew up watching unspeakably awful things happen. really impressed with them being able to do the show

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

animeluva1 posted:

I think that if I ever wanted to show a DSotR episode to a casual viewer it would be this episode. Jake is the lure as a recognizable face, but it all of the other stories that really draw you in.

Anyone else notice the random twin bed in the middle of Cornette's wrestling den when he interviews?

Excuse me I have to go back to playing Pokemon Snap to detox.

That's his bedroom.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
:allbuttons:

I really shouldn't be that surprised because it's Cornette. I still stand by my reaction.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
One of the things that hit me unexpectedly hard is the bit with Mike's ex-wife saying that Mike was so in his dad's thrall that if he knew about the abuse Mike probably would have forgiven Grizzly, and Grizzly probably would have manipulated Mike into blaming Jake and Robin for their own abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Cavauro posted:

there is a part where mike says he only ever really had first and second offenses and he doesn't know if his dad helped him out with DUIs and stuff. the next part is jericho narrating that he had tons of repeat offenses.

and just before this is Cornette telling us Mike has the record for most Texas DUIs, which is probably only true in context because the show isn't about some oil field owner dipshit who had probably twice the amount of Mike but owned the entire town so it never got reported