Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Right now the US Military and Intelligence Community is saying that they're under secret attack by Cuban/Russian/Maybe Chinese Mind Beams.

They shut down an embassy over the Mind Beams. They're saying that people are getting attacked by Mind Beams just outside the White House in the middle of one of the most militarized and secure cities on earth. They have no idea what the technology is, why it is happening, or who truly is controlling it. But they're eager and willing to blame the Scary Countries for it without evidence.

So if the military had even an inkling of a reason to blame the Scary Countries for UAPs why would they refuse to do so?

They're already admitting they can't stop the Mind Beam attacks in DC, so I don't find the idea that the military would be too embarrassed to admit it was Chinese secret tech if they thought they could get away with it.

lol that was just a BS excuse to close the cuban embassy that the right wing in this country didn't want open to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Is it being smothered? Are people taking for granted that the US government, if nothing else, has confirmed that there are physical objects that exist that completely defy all of our understanding of aviation?

it didn't get a lot of play for a while when the first byt story came out because it got drowned out by the latest trump thing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zisky posted:

So concerned about losing it that they fly it over US ships/installations every day for years?

It just doesn't make sense for it to be foreign tech.

yup. i really think the only two credible explanations are some kind of strange phenomenon yet unaccounted for by science (and this is certainly a reasonable possibility; look at how long it took for ball lightning to get hard evidence), or something genuinely out of the ordinary. foreign tech seems out of the question due to the insane complexity of what's on display and illogical nature of the phenomenon's behaviour, and if it's a hoax, then it's a goddamn phenomenal one

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

It's wild. The simplest explanation is that China or Russia has developed plasma and hologram tech decades, if not a century beyond what we have, and is using it to troll us. That by itself would be a revolution in physics that upends American military supremacy. The biggest story of the century even without aliens.

a more reasonable explanation imo is that the technology is in the hands of a more secretive group or person than china or russia. specifically, one jeffrey epstein, who is using the tictacs to monitor the world from his hidden lair at the bottom of the ocean

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vermain posted:

yup. i really think the only two credible explanations are some kind of strange phenomenon yet unaccounted for by science (and this is certainly a reasonable possibility; look at how long it took for ball lightning to get hard evidence), or something genuinely out of the ordinary. foreign tech seems out of the question due to the insane complexity of what's on display and illogical nature of the phenomenon's behaviour, and if it's a hoax, then it's a goddamn phenomenal one

Domestic technology is possible I guess but then we also have to account for the fact that
1) It hasn't leaked somehow
2) They've tested it on our people to the point where pilots have feared for their own safety/almost crashed
3) It still requires us to have discovered sci-fi technology

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I'm curious what satellites have shown in areas where this is happening. Obviously they're so fast they'd be hard to track, but you would think they'd have some pointed at the spots where there were repeated sightings.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Maybe this is the Stargate:SG1 timeline.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Azathoth posted:

In the modern era, nuclear weapons would be about the best example, first as the Manhattan Project and then again with the Soviet nuclear project. Both of those were utterly massive weapons projects that operated with remarkable secrecy, certainly from the general public, if not necessarily from the military and intelligence leadership of various countries. Stealth aircraft probably deserve a mention there as well, along with poo poo like the SR-71.

But as was pointed out, there's a huge difference between keeping those under wraps for as long as they did and the now 50-60+ year secrecy of something like what has been reported.

Like, just put out there something like "can hover and move against the wind silently". That poo poo has been reported since the 60s at a minimum and we still don't have something that can do that.

Yeah, as you say, the Manhattan Project immediately came to mind. The difference for me is that the theory underpinning nuclear weaponry was publicly available (if not well known/understood) prior to the MP, and America had non-military nuclear power plants by 1954. The capabilities being displayed for the last several decades seem well beyond what current science says is possible, and the obvious industrial applications of such technology and its derivatives make it weird that no nation seems to have applied them anywhere beyond drones to troll America, if they are truly terrestrial in origin.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol that was just a BS excuse to close the cuban embassy that the right wing in this country didn't want open to begin with

sure, but my point is they’re perfectly happy to tell reporters that they think Russia is doing secret Mind Beam attacks inside the gates of the White House with no evidence, so there is little reason they wouldn’t say the same about the UAPs if they could.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The problem is that the established "simplest" explanations (observer error, deliberate hoax using conventional technology, domestic secret tech) all seem not to fit the current evidence. Even filtering out all of the sightings for which the above are the most likely explanation (which is the vast majority of such incidents), the statements of government/military officials recently seem inconsistent with explanation 3.

Secret foreign tech is by far the "likeliest" explanation, and that's still a shocking development in and of itself.

Are there confirmed examples of historical technology suppression where something as revolutionary as the capabilities displayed during some incidents/sightings has been hidden from the public for over a decade? In any country?

GPS was a secret military technology whose earlier forms date back to the 60s and was totally secret until the reagan admin made it available for civilian use because industry wanted to use it.

Radar was developed from the 30s and only made publicly availble after the war.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

China doesn't even really have a blue water navy, but they have star trek tech?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

sure, but my point is they’re perfectly happy to tell reporters that they think Russia is doing secret Mind Beam attacks inside the gates of the White House with no evidence, so there is little reason they wouldn’t say the same about the UAPs if they could.

Also, interestingly, that SCMP article just came out with Chinese officials saying "we have no loving idea either"

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Also, interestingly, that SCMP article just came out with Chinese officials saying "we have no loving idea either"

This one?

https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3136078/china-military-uses-ai-track-rapidly-increasing-ufos

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zisky posted:

China doesn't even really have a blue water navy, but they have star trek tech?

aircraft carriers would be a waste of money when you have flying saucers

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's the one - and that seems as hand-wavey as anything else out there.
If anything, that it came out so soon after the NYT leak makes it feel all the more coordinated but I suppose that could just be me seeing patterns where there are none

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

aircraft carriers would be a waste of money when you have flying saucers

So then why have they so aggressively pursued them? They're supposed to have 6 in operation by the 2030s.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what i want are some chinese videos of jet pilots looking at UFOs through the jet's camera and going "what is that thing???" in chinese

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

what i want are some chinese videos of jet pilots looking at UFOs through the jet's camera and going "what is that thing???" in chinese

From the above article

quote:

China’s only officially confirmed UFO sighting occurred over a military airbase in Cangzhou, Hebei province, on October 19, 1998. According to a report in Hebei Daily – official newspaper of the province which neighbours Beijing – two military jets were ordered to intercept a low-flying object that appeared suddenly above the airbase.

The object looked like a “short-legged mushroom”, with two beams of light shooting down from its belly. When the jets approached, the object climbed with “ghostlike” speed to an altitude of more than 20,000 metres, before disappearing from radar and visual contact.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

what if the powers that be are getting ready to tell us we're under an alien attack and use that to unite humanity and usher in a One World Government

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

From the above article

no i want to watch the actual video

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Spergin Morlock posted:

what if the powers that be are getting ready to tell us we're under an alien attack and use that to unite humanity and usher in a One World Government

I'm calling XCOM right now

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

I thought an asteroid impact was scheduled after climate change but before aliens but it has been a while since they invited me to meetings

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

From the above article

lol ok its aliens

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I do think it's aliens. It's just if you don't want to get wild one other explanation is foreign military tech. As others have mentioned this has been happening for decades. I'm thinking specifically of Foo fighters in WW2.

If you discount aliens, and you discount everything before the 1900's, all that's left is either the nazis or soviets invented some wild poo poo and kept it secret.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1400924067348295684?s=20

It's so wacky that we have no idea what these things are

Zisky
May 6, 2003

That Hangar 12 doc is pretty badly made but if you look at incidents during the Vietnam War with "enemy helicopters" they're pretty much identical (in a lot of cases) to what we're seeing today.

Zisky has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Jun 4, 2021

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

It's so wacky that we have no idea what these things are

so the newspapers keep saying lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

guys what if someone just dosed all of those military sensor platforms with LSD?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

guys what if someone just dosed all of those military sensor platforms with LSD?

i think speed-addled pilots that havent slept in 3 days are more likely to hallucinate aircraft than pilots tripping on LSD

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

i think speed-addled pilots that havent slept in 3 days are more likely to hallucinate aircraft than pilots tripping on LSD

plus it's probably a lot harder to find a military member these days that wouldn't immediately be able to recognize when someone's dosed them

Zisky
May 6, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

Pilots are all on nootropics now (instead of amphetamines)...and I highly doubt they're losing sleep if all they're doing is flying CAP missions.

Edit: but you're not wrong that lack of sleep + stimulants will cause hallucinations

Zisky has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Jun 4, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

All this talk about it being a natural phenomenon finally reminded me that I actually have the perfect book to turn to for some historical answers!

It's all poo poo pulled from historical accounts and scientific journals, so it's not gonna be bunk from old newspapers. Let's just crack it open to "low-level nocturnal nights" and see what's up...

1893 :shepface:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I tried posting this in dnd but what a loving waste. Pearls before swine. This paper rules:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0090591708317902

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I tried posting this in dnd but what a loving waste. Pearls before swine. This paper rules:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0090591708317902

That's actually a really fascinating read. I'd never really explicitly considered why people have such a hard time accepting the possibility of alien life beyond the explicit government propaganda that bombarded us for decades.

But that it's actually capable of just shattering someone's mental hierarchy is probably the exact same reason I enjoy the possibility so much. Look at what being "the top" has gotten us

It also makes the question "why let this out if we don't know" all the more baffling, it does completely undermine the authority of the government and the military.

It's either "we have no choice" or "this can be used to further entrench our power" right? And I don't see the benefit here when it comes at the expense of, as the article suggests, undermining the taboo they worked so hard to create

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/SinPoder10/status/1400918915690205199?s=19

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh here's a fun one from the pentagon press briefing today
"Does the pentagon have alien bodies and crafts"
https://twitter.com/disclosureteam_/status/1400906044705054728?s=20

*Stammers* uh uuuuh whaaa

better recording here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGkQjmefGE&t=2157s

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

the simplest explanation is aliens. sorry

lol it kind of is

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

however this ends im enjoying all this chatter on the level of like an xcom arg

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

this is exactly what i would expect to see if the nimitz encounter was the navy pilots getting punked in a blue-on-blue test and these are some fancy rear end drones. you create some noise, use some counterintel guys to make some media traffic for foreign consumption about how we definitely have no idea what these things are, strange how they're all up in your airspace too!! what can you do, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1396617025431212032