Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

is there a video of gavin spinning that wheel in the background

or does he operate one of the bouncy ball machines?

The bouncy ball machine has everyone's name on a bouncy ball the size of a ping pong ball (for clarity) that's been vaccinated. Newsom decided to use a vacant duplex and convert it into the bouncy ball machine, as in order to have enough space for the balls as well as the ability for them to bounce, they needed a container that was at least the same dimensions as a cube 65 feet wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Ca ban on assault rifles just got overturned lmao

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It’s stayed pending appeal, it’ll be tossed out.
Then appealed again. So hold onto your pants.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Celexi posted:

Ca ban on assault rifles just got overturned lmao
It's Benitez; this opinion is expected from Benitez.
For example in his "Freedom Week" decision (Duncan v Becerra; Challenging the ban on possession of grandfathered 11+ round magazines), the judgement resulted in immediately re-legalizing the purchase of 11+ round magazines; this happened for a week while the AG and Plaintiffs argued loudly over letters and then Benitez did a partial stay on his decision after the AG threatened to file an emergency stay motion to the appeals court; the stay protected those who purchased during that week until the resolution of the case... which is actually En Banc currently and Oral Arguments are taking place on uh... 22nd of this month?
I think he's the favorite the judge as a go-to for gun rights groups in California now, assuming they can find a plaintiff in the San Diego area. A lot of said cases seem to be filed in San Diego (which is CA Southern Federal District, which Benitez resides in) and I imagine it's so they might draw him as a Federal District Judge. He's issued favorable gun rights opinions in the Duncan v Becerra (mentioned above) and Rhode v Becerra (Ammo background checks).

In this case however, as part of his opinion, while he did a judgement basically saying the featured assault weapon ban (as opposed to named assault weapons) was unconstitutional, he also baked in a 30 day temporary stay on his own opinion to give the AG plenty of time to file for appeal and their own temporary stay with the Motions Panel (So the AG didn't need to batphone an emergency motion); based off of there being "serious questions" as referenced by case law/precedent.
Opinion: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.casd.642089/gov.uscourts.casd.642089.115.0.pdf
Docket: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/16069141/miller-v-becerra/?filed_after=&filed_before=&entry_gte=&entry_lte=&order_by=desc

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It’s stayed pending appeal, it’ll be tossed out.
Then appealed again. So hold onto your pants.
Yes, from the beginning it was understood that this case will probably go all the way to petition SCOTUS for review. CA AG is going to appeal and request stay pending conclusive decision immediately, the case will be heard by a 3 judge panel, then whoever loses will appeal En Banc; En Banc will definitely be granted if the state loses and probably be granted if the plaintiffs lose; then whoever loses (plaintiffs would most likely lose at En Banc) is going to file certiorari with SCOTUS. Assuming Plaintiffs lost En Banc, then it's a question whether SCOTUS will actually grant cert and take the case. It will probably be another 2 - 4 years until the case is granted/denied cert by SCOTUS.

Edit: Also at the 3-judge-panel appeal level, there's a ~25% chance that a pro-2A panel is drawn, and at the En Banc 11-judge-panel level, there's about a ~5% chance that a pro-2A panel is drawn, based off a spreadsheet another goon maintains mapping judges to various 2A decisions (and failing any 2A decisions, their nominating party). The chances at the 3-judge-panel appeal level doesn't take into account visiting judges from other circuits, since that can't be accounted for.

I also used to check the Motions Panel to see how they might rule on a stay motion as part of an appeal, but the 9th Circuit abruptly stopped posting which judges were assigned to the Motions Panel for the current month a number of months ago without any announcement.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 5, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

BeAuMaN posted:

Yes, from the beginning it was understood that this case will probably go all the way to petition SCOTUS for review. CA AG is going to appeal and request stay pending conclusive decision immediately, the case will be heard by a 3 judge panel, then whoever loses will appeal En Banc; En Banc will definitely be granted if the state loses and probably be granted if the plaintiffs lose; then whoever loses (plaintiffs would most likely lose at En Banc) is going to file certiorari with SCOTUS. Assuming Plaintiffs lost En Banc, then it's a question whether SCOTUS will actually grant cert and take the case. It will probably be another 2 - 4 years until the case is granted/denied cert by SCOTUS.

In a 7-2 decision…

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
When do we find out if we've 'won' the lottery or if Gavin gave it all out to his friends in exchange for 1/2 back as 'campaign funds'?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

OgNar posted:

When do we find out if we've 'won' the lottery or if Gavin gave it all out to his friends in exchange for 1/2 back as 'campaign funds'?

Dalrain posted:

The fine print says they'll try to call you and if you don't respond in 72 hours they pick another winner. Hope you gave a good phone number for your appointment!
Whatever money Laundering Gavin will do it will most certainly be done French style. :rimshot:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I WON YOU FUCKS I WON THE VACCINE LOTTERY. THE MONEY IS GOOD THE COVID IS GOOD THE FOOD IS GOOD LIFE I GOOD TAKE A VACCINE FROM A CVS AND DONT BREATH OPEN AIR I PREFER VENT HOOD

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I WON YOU FUCKS I WON THE VACCINE LOTTERY. THE MONEY IS GOOD THE COVID IS GOOD THE FOOD IS GOOD LIFE I GOOD TAKE A VACCINE FROM A CVS AND DONT BREATH OPEN AIR I PREFER VENT HOOD

post proof

e: oh wait you just get a phone call don't you

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 6, 2021

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

post proof

e: oh wait you just get a phone call don't you

If they can't get ahold of you by phone, they will also try email.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

fermun posted:

If they can't get ahold of you by phone, they will also try email.
It's funny you say that:

They done fixed that issue!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

BeAuMaN posted:

It's funny you say that:

They done fixed that issue!

lol I got vaccinated stupid early as a healthcare worker and I have nothing on file, gimme my $50 motherfuckers

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Look Gavin if you want me to vote against the recall it'd help me remember to do so if you give me my $600 Gavinbux you were talking about a few months ago. Giving me the lottery prize wouldn't hurt either.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

Look Gavin if you want me to vote against the recall it'd help me remember to do so if you give me my $600 Gavinbux you were talking about a few months ago. Giving me the lottery prize wouldn't hurt either.
"It'd be a shame if something were to happen to your Governorship... if'n y'know what I mean."

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

The Gavinbux are part of the budget so can't be sent until the budget passes the legislature and gets signed; that has a deadline of the 15th. It should take just a few days to a week for a direct deposit to happen as soon as the budget gets signed, though.

Gavin needs to start yelling at the legislature so that I get my money if he wants me to vote against the recall.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it has been an incredibly long wait since *goes back 6 pages in the thread* may 10th. that 5 week stretch has been grueling, i'm surprised we held out this long

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Doing that conservative restaurant diner thing, except every day Gavin doesn’t give me my loving money is another dollar it costs to buy my vote in the recall

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/sheriff-villanuevas-decision-to-deploy-deputies-to-venice-homeless-encampments-draws-city-councilmans-ire/

quote:

Sheriff Alex Villanueva waded into the morass of homelessness in Los Angeles this week by deploying a team of deputies to the Venice boardwalk, a tinderbox in the city’s struggle to deal with the mounting crisis.

The move, which drew the ire of the city councilman for Venice, came after Villanueva has railed in recent weeks against city officials for their handling of homelessness issues. Being careful not to malign the Los Angeles Police Department, which patrols Venice, the sheriff said city leaders have hamstrung the LAPD from taking a more aggressive posture when dealing with homeless people.

Looks like the Sheriff is going to get the state sued for violating Martin v Boise out in Venice. Also just another example of police having more power than elected officials, and their only solution to homelessness is criminalization. LA feels totally hosed to me. I have noticed the population of the park I do outreach in growing even as PATH manages to get a few people into hotel rooms, doesn't seem like the city can keep up. Once people start getting evicted again I imagine things are going to get worse.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Sheriff is an elected position, it's just it's an elected cop and ACAB

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

JesusIsTehCool posted:

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/sheriff-villanuevas-decision-to-deploy-deputies-to-venice-homeless-encampments-draws-city-councilmans-ire/

Looks like the Sheriff is going to get the state sued for violating Martin v Boise out in Venice. Also just another example of police having more power than elected officials, and their only solution to homelessness is criminalization. LA feels totally hosed to me. I have noticed the population of the park I do outreach in growing even as PATH manages to get a few people into hotel rooms, doesn't seem like the city can keep up. Once people start getting evicted again I imagine things are going to get worse.
I'm kind of confused here. Why are his deputies there? Isn't Venice Boardwalk under the jurisdiction of LAPD?

Also yeah Sheriffs are elected; which is a good thing in my opinion. Imagine if you could elect your Police Chief instead of having to rely upon your mayor and/or city council to deal with them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lol, electing cops is pointless. They're all loving awful.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol, electing cops is pointless. They're all loving awful.
Not if you can remove the requirement that persons running for Sheriff (and in the proposed scenario, City Police Chiefs) have to be certified LEOs that was enacted in 1989 by the LEO lobby. Sadly that bill didn't go anywhere this session.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
As if any non-LEO person that gets elected Sheriff isn't going to wind up an Unsolved Murder in a ditch somewhere

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

As if any non-LEO person that gets elected Sheriff isn't going to wind up an Unsolved Murder in a ditch somewhere

:hmmyes: What kind of reception do you think a complete outsider is going to get being appointed to power over the most violent boy's club in the country?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:hmmyes: What kind of reception do you think a complete outsider is going to get being appointed to power over the most violent boy's club in the country?
The same reception Chesa Boudin probably got when he was elected DA? How's that working out btw? Not my area.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BeAuMaN posted:

The same reception Chesa Boudin probably got when he was elected DA? How's that working out btw? Not my area.

Chesa Boudin is a lawyer, that isn't an outsider

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BeAuMaN posted:

A bunch of rich assholes from Silicon valley are trying to fund people in SF to recall him

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Plus DAs, while effectively cops, don't carry weapons and cultivate a culture of doing personal physical violence to people.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah they just take the "lucky" people that the cops didn't outright murder and ruin their lives by feeding them to the prison industrial complex/legal fees cartel

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Chesa Boudin is a lawyer, that isn't an outsider

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yeah they just take the "lucky" people that the cops didn't outright murder and ruin their lives by feeding them to the prison industrial complex/legal fees cartel

Well, since DA are going to continue to exist, I rather have a DA who was raised by the Weather Underground than anyone else.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Boat Stuck fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 11, 2021

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Don't get me wrong, I like Boudin. Just like there are possibly maybe cops that aren't horrific murderers, there are some DAs that try to do good. It's just that the entire system is evil and immoral

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Boat Stuck posted:

Well, since DA are going to continue to exist, I rather have a DA who was raised by the Weather Underground than anyone else.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

I'm not criticizing him man, just pointing out that isn't an example of what I said

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm not criticizing him man, just pointing out that isn't an example of what I said

I'd honestly argue that a DA whose parents went to prison for killing cops and whose family has a long distinguished Marxist pedigree is as much of an outsider as you can get.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The biggest difference with a DA vs. a sheriff is that if an outsider is elected to be DA, they can fire everyone under them that doesn't want to follow their policies, which is what Boudin did immediately upon taking office, an outsider sheriff wouldn't be able to clean house.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah it was about the closest analogue that I could pick off the top of my head. You need credentials to be DA just like Sheriffs do.

SuperKlaus posted:

Plus DAs, while effectively cops, don't carry weapons* and cultivate a culture of doing personal physical violence to people.
*Openly carry weapons. Lotta prosecutors conceal carry afaik; judges and prosecutors get fast tracked for conceal carry permits.

But I get what you're going for. :thumbsup:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

fermun posted:

The biggest difference with a DA vs. a sheriff is that if an outsider is elected to be DA, they can fire everyone under them that doesn't want to follow their policies, which is what Boudin did immediately upon taking office, an outsider sheriff wouldn't be able to clean house.

There is no clean house! That's the point. There's no good cops. You can't even tell them what to do, they won't listen to you.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There is no clean house! That's the point. There's no good cops. You can't even tell them what to do, they won't listen to you.

The DA and the police are technically different offices and they do work differently.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

El Mero Mero posted:

The DA and the police are technically different offices and they do work differently.

That's... exactly what I'm saying.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Ah, one of my favorite subjects - the tension between what wingnuts imagine California to be (a crime-ridden, business-hostile hellhole on the edge of total fiscal collapse) and what it actually is (a roaring economic dynamo). From Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-06-14/california-defies-doom-with-no-1-u-s-economy

quote:

California Defies Doom With No. 1 U.S. Economy

The Golden State has no peers when it comes to expanding GDP, raising household income, investing in innovation and a host of other key metrics.

When misfortunes multiplied during the coronavirus pandemic, observers seized on a four-letter word signaling end of days for the largest state with one-eighth the U.S. population and 14% of its gross domestic product. “California doom: Staggering $54 billion deficit looms,” the Associated Press concluded a year ago in May. “California Is Doomed,” declared Business Insider two months earlier. ”Is California doomed to keep burning?” queried the New Republic in October. California is “Doomed” because of rising sea levels, according to an April EcoNews Report. Bulletins of people leaving the world's fifth-biggest economy for lower-cost states because of high taxes and too much regulation stifling business continue unabated.

No one anticipated the latest data readout showing the Golden State has no peers among developed economies for expanding GDP, creating jobs, raising household income, manufacturing growth, investment in innovation, producing clean energy and unprecedented wealth through its stocks and bonds. All of which underlines Governor Gavin Newsom's announcement last month of the biggest state tax rebate in American history.

By adding 1.3 million people to its non-farm payrolls since April last year -- equal to the entire workforce of Nevada -- California easily surpassed also-rans Texas and New York. At the same time, California household income increased $164 billion, almost as much as Texas, Florida and Pennsylvania combined, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. No wonder California's operating budget surplus, fueled by its surging economy and capital gains taxes, swelled to a record $75 billion.

If anything, Covid-19 accelerated California's record productivity. Quarterly revenue per employee of the publicly-traded companies based in the state climbed to an all-time high of $1.5 million in May, 63% greater than its similar milestone a decade ago, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The rest of the U.S. was nothing special, with productivity among those members of the Russell 3000 Index, which is made up of both large and small companies, little changed during the past 10 years.

While pundits have long insisted California policies are bad for business, reality belies them. In a sign of investor demand, the weight of California companies in the benchmark S&P 500 Index increased 3 percentage points since a year ago, the most among all states, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Faith in California credit was similarly superlative, with the weight of corporate bonds sold by companies based in the state rising the most among all states, to 12.5 percentage points from 11.7 percentage points, according to the Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Corporate Bond Index. Translation: Investors had the greatest confidence in California companies during the pandemic.

The most trusted measure of economic strength says California is the world-beater among democracies. The state’s gross domestic product increased 21% during the past five years, dwarfing No. 2 New York (14%) and No. 3 Texas (12%), according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The gains added $530 billion to the Golden State, 30% more than the increase for New York and Texas combined and equivalent to the entire economy of Sweden. Among the five largest economies, California outperforms the U.S., Japan and Germany with a growth rate exceeded only by China.

Enlarging its No. 1 footprint with factory jobs, California GDP from manufacturing gained 13% over the past five years to $316 billion in 2020, an increase unmatched by any of the 10 largest manufacturing states: Texas was No. 2 with 9% growth, followed by Indiana at 8%, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. For all its bluster as being “best for business,'' Texas can't match California's innovation. California prosperity is rooted in its appeal as a worldwide destination for technology and health-care development. Of the 6,924 corporate locations in the state, 18% are research and development facilities, a ratio that easily beats the U.S. overall (11%), China (15%), U.K. (14%) and Japan (10%). Only Germany, at 19%, has a higher rate, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The percentage of Texas facilities for R&D is less than half California's at 8.2%.

Corporate California also is the undisputed leader in renewable energy, with 26 companies worth $897 billion, or 36% of the U.S. industry, having reported 10% or more of their revenues derived from clean technology. No state comes close to matching the 21% of electricity derived from solar energy. Shares of these firms appreciated 282% during the past 12 months and 1,003%, 1,140% and 9,330% over two, five and 10 years, respectively, with no comparable rivals anywhere in the world, according to BloombergNEF. The same companies also increased their workforce 35% since 2019, almost tripling the rate for the rest U.S. overall and four times the global rate.

Perennial water shortages and devastating fires drive the perception of dystopia. But California reigns supreme with the GDP-equivalent of $40.2 billion derived from agriculture, forest and hunting in 2020. That's greater than the output from the next five largest states -- Iowa, Washington, Illinois, Texas and Nebraska -- combined, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Even with the economic disruptions caused by the pandemic, California cemented its position as the No. 1 state for global trade, with its Los Angeles and Long Beach ports seeing growth that led all U.S. rivals for the first time in nine years in 2020. Much has been made of the state reporting its first yearly loss in population, or 182,000 last year. Had it not been for the Trump administration preventing new visas, depriving as many as 150,000 people from moving to California from other countries annually, the 2020 outcome would have been more favorable.

Even so, Republicans, opposed to Newsom's policies favoring immigration, criminal justice reform and greater benefits for housing, health and child care, want voters to decide whether he should be replaced in a potential recall election later this year. Former San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, a Republican who is among those running to succeed him, said Newsom, a Democrat, hurt the state's small businesses.

That's not what the data shows. The 373 California-based companies in the Russell 2000 Index, which includes small-cap companies across the U.S., appreciated 39% the past two years and 85% since 2016, beating the benchmark's 34% and 67%, respectively. The same California companies reported revenue growth of 56% the past five years, dwarfing the benchmark's 34%, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. More important, California companies invested 16% of their revenues in R&D, or their future, when the rest of the U.S. put aside just 1%.

Investing in the future is California's way, the opposite of doom.
And some graphs:

* sigh * Just imagine what this state would be like if we ever managed to build some loving housing, or unfuck our tax system...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Will the members of this thread please rise for the official state anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBTdfAkqGU