Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On the Star Trek the Pod Directive podcast, Paul F. Tompkins said in one episode that he absolutely would love a low stake trek series.

He said one of the things that pulled him into TNG when it aired was that it was a bunch of competent people excelling at their jobs and getting things done. So, he would be overjoyed to have a show that was just them doing scientific missions where nothing threatening happened, just the crew doing good work at the high standard that starfleet has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

bull3964 posted:

On the Star Trek the Pod Directive podcast, Paul F. Tompkins said in one episode that he absolutely would love a low stake trek series.

He said one of the things that pulled him into TNG when it aired was that it was a bunch of competent people excelling at their jobs and getting things done. So, he would be overjoyed to have a show that was just them doing scientific missions where nothing threatening happened, just the crew doing good work at the high standard that starfleet has.

Yeah. I know it probably wouldn't actually make a great TV show but I dunno. I love character above everything else. I don't really care about plot very much (which is why I can forgive Discovery so much but can't forgive their use of Georgiou in season 3). Just show me the people doing the things. All my favourite Trek scenes are nothing little character moments. Like Weyoun idly gossiping to Damar about how the Breen homeworld *isn't* cold so what are their fashion choices about. Or Quark drunkenly telling the other conspirators, "I don't LIKE Cardassians. They're *mean*." That kinda thing. I dunno, I'm rambling. I just want more good character stuff.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

This is why 20 episodes a season was a good thing. It gave the creators time to do character stuff like that.

And frankly any argument about it leading to a lot of garbage episodes doesn't hold water because the modern 10 episode seasons aren't exactly 100% gold themselves.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

8one6 posted:

This is why 20 episodes a season was a good thing. It gave the creators time to do character stuff like that.

And frankly any argument about it leading to a lot of garbage episodes doesn't hold water because the modern 10 episode seasons aren't exactly 100% gold themselves.

Yeah, frankly I'd rather Discovery in particular had more space to breathe and figure out what it wants to be and where it wants to land. More than anything else that's a show that feels *confused*. And I say this as someone who genuinely likes it most of the time. I mean clearly from everything I say here I completely adore DS9, it's maybe my second favourite TV show of all time, but it took a while to find its feet and even in its final season it was still making big mistakes. They just didn't matter when compared with the good stuff.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think Disco wants to be a nonstop-action-adventure show, whose DNA is very much in JJ Trek. Just pure rollercoaster melodrama all the way. There’s really no room for the quieter thoughtfulness television Trek became known for, and their attempts at adding some token elements of that come off as...not great.

This is kinda why I suspect SNW actually became a thing. Pike proved extremely popular, and the calls for old school episodic Trek were pretty loud. I might eternally be damned to have Lucy pull the football away from me, but I still have some hope that show will actually be good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Trek is meant to be comedy. Too much modern trek is in denial about that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brawnfire posted:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Really, it’s this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s plenty of humor in Discovery, it’s one of the few things that’s been consistently good :confused:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I would be down for a Disco season that has like 20 episodes and 4 max that deal with the plot of the season.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For arguably being the "darkest" Trek, DS9 has the most moments I can remember that legitimately made me laugh. Like that one scene where Quark and Rom are crawling around in the ducts and accidentally pop out in Sisko's office.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhgEGeKcbo

Odo's grin in this scene is funnier than anything in the actual star trek comedy show, change my mind

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Everything about The Magnificent Ferengi could have been awful and is just wonderful top to bottom. Keevan's utter disgust right up until the last moment of his life is delightful. Iggy Pop is amazing too, so dry and exasperated.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Odo having a padd of all the security fuckups on the Enterprise just in case he had to own Worf was hilarious.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My six-year-old asked me when I bought the collector's box of Star Trek Micro Machines in my office, which as there's nothing from Voyager onwards in it prompted me to look up when Voyager finished.

Last episode broadcast May 2001. TWENTY YEARS AGO. :stare:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Weirdly enough, Voyager is so entrenched in my brain as a “90s show” that it’s odd to remember it overlapped into the early 2000s.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

HD DAD posted:

Weirdly enough, Voyager is so entrenched in my brain as a “90s show” that it’s odd to remember it overlapped into the early 2000s.

It's utterly bizarre to me to realize that Star Trek IV was just a year before S1 TNG. Or that like Star Trek VI was S5 of TNG.

They seem decades apart. Of course all of those same sets from TMP got used and reused until what, like S4 of ENT?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Brawnfire posted:

It's not a comedy show but I think it does need comedic moments and the occasional lighthearted goofy episode.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Brawnfire posted:

TOS is a horror show with out of place quips thrown in.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

thotsky posted:

Maybe my memory's off since I haven't watched TOS in decades, but a lot of episodes end on a joke with either Kirk looking wryly bemused while the 'playful flighty' music plays, or the bridge crew laughing while Spock looks perplexed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s plenty of humor in Discovery, it’s one of the few things that’s been consistently good :confused:

at it, not with it

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Comedy episodes never really clicked for me, in any of the series. In pretty much every case it ends up breaking the reality the show had created, because these comedic moments were always too farfetched to feel like it could ever happen in the setting that's been established. I also generally don't find it that funny which doesn't help.

There are exceptions of course: Worf smashing Geordie's lute; the Magnificent Ferengi blasting Quark's mom during their training simulation, but those moments are few and far between. For me, of course. No judgement for what other people enjoy.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

McSpanky posted:

at it, not with it

Yeah, uh, if they were trying for comedy, oh boy. That is a whole another set of not working. The only one that is even funny on Discovery is the part time comedian who barely shows up most episodes I don't even remember her name:

I mean if she was more of a regular character...? The biggest problem i've seen with discovery is that the characters are almost designed to make you not care about them, or to evolve until they are no longer interesting, and then Micheal to step in their place or overshadow what they did.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

thotsky posted:

TOS is a much broader concept than that. It has horror episodes for sure, but also comedies, tragedies, thrillers, pure high-concept sci fi, military dramas, action-adventure type stuff, and episodes where nobody had any idea what they were doing and just threw some script pages together and filmed them. And yeah, most of them involve quips because people like shows that are fun instead of everyone just moping around super seriously on their made up space boat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jett Reno owns and she'd have been good on other Treks too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
As far as I can tell, the Disco producers would love to have Tig Notaro full time, but she wants the freedom to pop in and out as she pleases.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's what I got from the podcast with her. She enjoys it as a side gig she does occasionally but has no interest in being a full time cast member.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In The Cards is one of the best DS9 episodes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HD DAD posted:

As far as I can tell, the Disco producers would love to have Tig Notaro full time, but she wants the freedom to pop in and out as she pleases.

It would be hilarious if she actually did jnno the show too.

"Where the gently caress have you been?"
"Jefferies tubes."

[Shot of Reno kicking back in a secret conduit terminal, sipping from her homebrew]

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

They seem decades apart. Of course all of those same sets from TMP got used and reused until what, like S4 of ENT?

Stage 9 hung on for a really, really loving long time.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Timby posted:

Stage 9 hung on for a really, really loving long time.

I love that the number one thing about Trek is its frugalness of its franchise amirite

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think it was when they were tearing down the Voyager sets that they found pencil markings on the wood framing from the 70s or something nuts like that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Brawnfire posted:

Nah. Other than Lower Decks, there's really isn't a Star Trek series that leaned heavily on comedy in any real way. Something like Stargate SG-1 or Farscape are way better examples of sci-fi shows that only take themselves seriously enough to maintain their premise, and the difference is really stark compared to any Star Trek series.

The big thing with Star Trek is that every series is really obviously a product of its time. That's why TOS has so many weird slide whistle endings, and why the shows seem to get progressively more dour and humorless. Modern prestige TV sucks at humor more often than not, and that's exactly what Trek is trying to be right now.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

I get a chuckle out of imagining a modern Navy XO going down to the officer's club and performing passacaglias on a krumhorn while the other crew just roll their eyes and drink their Military Special.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Buttchocks posted:

I get a chuckle out of imagining a modern Navy XO going down to the officer's club and performing passacaglias on a krumhorn while the other crew just roll their eyes and drink their Military Special.

Where's my episode where some lowly overworked Lt-JG from Astrometrics at the end of a lovely day (like the dude who Picard was at the end of Tapestry) just takes a run at Riker and spears him into the windows at Ten Forward because he's just loving had it and Commander Satchmo here busting out the trombone was just the last straw.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Khanstant posted:

Tell us anyway, I looked up the wikipedia and I gained no lesson about immortality.

Iain M Banks posted:

“I am very ready to die, Cr. Ziller.” Ilom Dolince smiled. “I’ve lived four hundred and fifteen years, sir. I’ve seen
the Chebalyths of Eyske in their Skydark migration, watched field liners sculpt solar flares in the High Nudrun, I’ve
held my own newborn in my hands, flown the caverns of Sart and dived the tube-arches of Lirouthale. I’ve seen so
much, done so much, that even with my neural lace trying to tie my elsewhere memories as seamlessly as it can into
what’s in my head, I can tell I’ve lost a lot from in here.” He tapped one temple. “Not from my memory, but from
my personality. And so it’s time to change or move on or just stop. I’ve put a version of me into a group mind in
case anybody wants to ask me anything at any time, but really I can’t be bothered living anymore. At least, not once
I’ve seen Ossuliera City, which I’ve been saving for this moment.” He smiled at the avatar. “Maybe I’ll come back
when the end of the universe happens.”

“You also said you wanted to be revived into an especially nubile cheerleader if Notromg Town ever won the
Orbital Cup,” the avatar said solemnly. It nodded and took a breath in through its teeth. “I’d go with the universe ending thing, if I were you.”

People in the Culture can be physically or functionally immortal - either by constantly rejuvenating themselves, or by mind upload. But for one reason or another the average age of death ends up being 400 years or so.

Also, "revive a copy of me so I can have mad orgies if we win the Superbowl" is possibly the most Culture thing I can think of.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

bull3964 posted:

One of the episodes of TNG I really liked is when Picard starts dating that Lt or Lt. Cmdr, I don't recall, but it has the Enterprise dealing with a dangerous situation, but it's not a terribly strange or weird one. It's just a natural disaster and they're trying to find a way to help people but it showcased how dangerous Starfleet away missions could be and how these PhD holding scientists were also badasses who thought "well I guess I'm going to dig in during this firestorm".

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That's a nice idea for the odd episode now and then, but an entire TV series with that premise would deservedly be cancelled after one season

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think at this point brand is kind of carrying the franchise. Like both discovery and Picard have been messes production wise and they are still humming along fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Modern Trek will never be good until they hire Jeffrey Combs. It's a geas.