Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Sorry for so many weird questions.
I like even tried to Google this one.

When cornering on a multi lane highway or twisty road, is it OK to change lanes? Depending on the direction of lane change it would make your corner sharper or more shallow.

It's not something I think about in a car, I do switch lanes mostly whenever as long as it's not an intersection.

A motorcycle I am thinking twice because it will use more traction reserve of the tire. Thus far I have only been planning lane switching on straight aways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Change lanes in the same places/scenarios you would in a car. Don’t overthink it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Some bullet points on the topic:

- in a vacuum it is better to pick a line through a turn and hold it than to weave while you're leaned over
- however, on the street it is perfectly fine (correct) to change your line in a turn if you need to avoid sand or a pothole or whatever
- if you are riding so hard on the street that tightening your line to change lanes would be dangerous, you are riding too hard
- if you're posting in this thread you are probably using like 20% of your tire's traction reserve at most anyway, so you have nothing to worry about
- if you're asking about changing lanes on broad sweeping turns, you can consider those basically the same as straight roads
- if you're asking about changing lanes on tight narrow turns, i would be more concerned about sight lines than traction
- one thing to always keep in the back of your head is how slippery the lane markings can be as you cross them, especially when it's raining; this is a bigger concern than the steepness of your turn.

but really you should just ignore all of that stuff and

moxieman posted:

Don’t overthink it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Had a very pleasant two hours out today along the Ontario lakeshore. After talking through clutch in turns in here I really felt I got the right mix of traction and control such that I wasn’t coasting but also the throttle in second was very relaxed, not that I’m trying to jerk the throttle in a turn. My biggest mistake of the morning was being behind an old man who was crawling and I assumed him pulling over to the side meant he was ready to park or let me pass so moved over and began to accelerate along side him only to see his tires turn and front come out as he begins to make a wide u-turn. I gunned it through but that could have been ugly because I didn’t think for a moment he’d just swing across. Anyway, lesson learned.

Also two things:

I’m not gripping the tank nearly enough which I just need to work into muscle memory and,
I’m making much more concerted effort to look through turns like I’m supposed to and it’s making a ton of difference. The one or two times I looked too close to the bike I was turning very hesitantly and it’s a night and day difference.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 5, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

My biggest mistake of the morning was being behind an old man who was crawling and I assumed him pulling over to the side meant he was ready to park or let me pass so moved over and began to accelerate along side him only to see his tires turn and front come out as he begins to make a wide u-turn. I gunned it through but that could have been ugly because I didn’t think for a moment he’d just swing across. Anyway, lesson learned.
That’ll wake you up. I ride a lot of places here in Colorado with slow car pullouts along windy canyon roads. Most of the time people don’t use them and it’s the only place I’ll ever pass on a double yellow (don’t do this, it’s stupid), but I never think about your scenario happening. I tend to raise my speed differential relative to anyone I’m passing by quite a bit to get the move over with fast and get back in their field of vision. There’s a new scenario to consider when remembering reasons not to linger when overtaking.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Perfect, thank you. I am going the speed of traffic. I think I am going to work on it a little when the roads are dead.

Martytoof posted:

Had a very pleasant two hours out today along the Ontario lakeshore.

Speaking from the Rochester side of the Ontario lakeshore, it is great, isn't it? :)

Also, like, so I am 35. I hang out with my friend's son sometimes who moved back to my hometown after he got into some trouble where his mom moved to. He's 19.

So his uncle saw my bike, now wants a Harley, is probably going to get one. I am encouraging them both to take the MSF class if they are gonna do it. It would be cool if we could all ride. They are sorta in the country which is nice.

If he gets his permit at least I'd get a Chinese Grom knockoff he could ride and he could putt around with us.

For whatever reason he's not interested in getting a car or a normal drivers license but he's interested in bikes. I kinda wanna encourage it because it's fun and I guess it's a step towards self reliance.

He's been riding around this little Chinese mini bike which can do 30-40 but it is totally not street legal. Might as well just do the real thing ya know?

At the same time it's sus enough being a new driver in a car on roads. Tons of new drivers get into accidents. A motorcycle absolutely deserves even more respect than a car. gently caress up and you die. I dunno anyone who got a motorcycle license before a car license.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 5, 2021

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'm glad I had lots of car driving experience before I got on a motorcycle. With all the mechanics going into operating a bike as a new rider taking up so much of your resources, I can imagine having to also get used to traffic on top of that would make the learning curve much steeper.

Driving long enough, you find you pick up a sixth sense about the stupid things people are going to do on the road before they do them, and it was happening unconsciously by the time I started riding in traffic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean I just want to qualify that I 100% would have started to pass this dude in my car as well so I can’t even blame this on bike sense :ohdear:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MSF range day one down. I ended up on a dual sport that feels just a little too tall for me though not as bad as it would have been for the lady who would have ended up on it if I hadn't swapped with her (instructor likely would have kicked one of us off a shorter bike for her anyway). Reading this forum, Proficient Motorcycling, and a couple of other books definitely helped, the lecture night was 100% review for me. My biggest challenge today was consistently finding the foot pegs and leaning adequately around turns. I was hoping to get one of the Dukes but they got snapped up before I could get over there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Midjack posted:

MSF range day one down. I ended up on a dual sport that feels just a little too tall for me though not as bad as it would have been for the lady who would have ended up on it if I hadn't swapped with her (instructor likely would have kicked one of us off a shorter bike for her anyway). Reading this forum, Proficient Motorcycling, and a couple of other books definitely helped, the lecture night was 100% review for me. My biggest challenge today was consistently finding the foot pegs and leaning adequately around turns. I was hoping to get one of the Dukes but they got snapped up before I could get over there.

You got the absolute best bike there.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I had my first "long" rice today (around 30 miles roundtrip) and everything went as perfect as it could, but it was also my first time riding at 50+ for any extended amount of time.

Wear earplugs.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
I've put a bit over 500 miles on the bike in that past two weeks and have had such a blast. I've been loving every second of it. I wouldn't say I'm completely confident on the bike (or at least not overly so), but riding in traffic on multi-lane highways isn't as scary as I thought it would be. I've found I need to get some waterproof gear though. I haven't been riding it to work as much as I want to this week cause there has been misty rain showers for the past few days and I hate getting rained on.

Also I think my favorite thing may be when I stop at the store or something and little kids want to come look at my bike. I let one kid rev it up and the smile he got on his face warmed my cold dead heart.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone taken the advance riding course before? Did you like it? Was it worthwhile?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 7, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MSF Day 2: I passed. At the beginning I fumbled with finding the footpegs again today. I think part of my problem yesterday is I was crushing my balls on the seat so I was standing on my toes a bit when we were still and got worn out; today I didn't have that problem. I suspect I went into yesterday a little dehydrated - I was pounding water the whole time but was still wiped out at the end and was in bed at 10pm last night - a super early night for me. I'm nowhere near as wiped out today. The bike I was on was a Vitacci 250 Raven. Seemed OK but seriously what do I know about anything at this point. I managed to scuff my helmet coming under the tent a couple of times but whatever, it's going to get gravel and dead bugs all over it as soon as I start riding anyway.

Things I need to get better at: everything.

For anyone else taking the class : bring a camelbak if you have one. No matter when you take it, you will dehydrate like crazy. Crack your visor open a bit when riding - it's cicada season here so wide open was a bad idea but a couple of centimeters open makes it easier to hear the instructors and gives you some breeze. If your helmet and jacket have vents, open them up in the summertime. I tend to death grip everything and motorbikes are no exception; my left thumb has a blister from grabbing the bar to work the clutch. Figure out how to sit on your bike such that you aren't hurting anything.

I probably need to replace my fridge before I can buy a bike plus the used market is still shithoused so I will continue to hang around here until then. Thanks everyone for your helpful posts in this thread and other places.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Congrats! You’ll get better with time, also everyone could always get better at everything and anyone that thinks differently is probably not very good!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Midjack posted:

you will dehydrate like crazy.

In my admittedly limited experience, this is just what riding's like. I get through about a liter an hour to stay hydrated in the aussie summer just riding on the highway. More if I'm actually, you know, doing anything.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
After numerous interruptions on the road to buying a bike of my own, mostly house expenses, I was initially thinking on a KLR 650 or DR650, but given that I'll likely never do off road riding, I was looking at an mt03, though I've yet to test ride it. Are they decent bikes so far or best avoided?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The MT-03 is a great bike and I'm not biased at all because I own one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The KLR is terrible and nobody should ever buy one, all the owners will tell you the same thing.

The other two are perfect.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Pine Cone Jones posted:

After numerous interruptions on the road to buying a bike of my own, mostly house expenses, I was initially thinking on a KLR 650 or DR650, but given that I'll likely never do off road riding, I was looking at an mt03, though I've yet to test ride it. Are they decent bikes so far or best avoided?

dr650. No klrs.

had a klr, hated it. killed it, did the world a service.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

In my admittedly limited experience, this is just what riding's like. I get through about a liter an hour to stay hydrated in the aussie summer just riding on the highway. More if I'm actually, you know, doing anything.
you know its hot when the wind doesnt cool you down anymore

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Someday in the future I want an MT-09 if I don't get a sport bike. All of the MT bikes look awesome and are probably pretty comfortable.

I was in a similar boat and it had me looking at the Honda CB500X and Kawasaki Versys X 300.

I love my bike, but I am half regretting my choice now to not look at used DR650s after looking at some google image search stuff where people make it look a bit more adventure-ey and less dirtbike-ey. Coulda thrown some more street-ish tires on, maybe an EFI kit later if the carb ever acted up or I wanted to like touch the exhaust or something.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Ride one for sure, it's got a very low seat height which is great or not so great depending on your biomechanics/body. I love mine!!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Spiggy posted:

The MT-03 is a great bike and I'm not biased at all because I own one.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Thanks for the advice, I'll contact the local Yamaha shop about setting up a test ride soon hopefully, if they've got an mt03 in anyway.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

as much as i love the :krad: full digital red backlight :awesomelon: dashboard on my n650 the fuel gauge is hilarious in that it warns you FUEL! FUEL! FUEL! when you have 4ish liters left. Like cool your jets we can still go like almost another 100 km. been just using the trip computer to get a better idea of range.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

as much as i love the :krad: full digital red backlight :awesomelon: dashboard on my n650 the fuel gauge is hilarious in that it warns you FUEL! FUEL! FUEL! when you have 4ish liters left. Like cool your jets we can still go like almost another 100 km. been just using the trip computer to get a better idea of range.

It's just excited. FUEL!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My cat starts yelling at me two hours before dinner too

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

maybe an EFI kit later if the carb ever acted up or I wanted to like touch the exhaust or something.

Yeah don't count on that. Successful conversions have been done by a small handful of insane people. There is no such thing as a kit, and it does anything but make your life simpler if the accounts on DRRiders and ThumperTalk are any indication.
Carbs don't really act up unless they're neglected or hosed with, and a CV carb on a popular bike is a pretty simple thing to deal with. Servicing carbs is not some arcane dark art that only greybeards and Slavvy hold the knowledge to, despite how many people want to make it seem like that. It's fiddly and moderately intricate, but if you can build a Lego kit following the included instructions and floss your teeth or tie your shoes by yourself, you can service a thumper carb.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

if you can build a Lego kit following the included instructions and floss your teeth or tie your shoes by yourself, you can service a thumper carb.

I think this is a higher bar than you realize, but if someone can't service a carb they probably can't do an EFI conversion. But yeah, the easiest way to convert a bike to EFI is to sell it and buy one that comes with fuel injection.

Phy posted:

My cat starts yelling at me two hours before dinner too

:lol:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carb to EFI is the bike version of the automotive fantasy of putting a turbo on a non-turbo car; it is always easier to just get a turbo car, and it's only cheaper if you already have a bunch of turbo hardware and knowledge accrued.

And to drop the analogy, putting EFI on a carb bike gains you little to nothing. If you want convenience and reliability, you won't find it in DIY EFI conversion, I should know I've loving got one and it still doesn't run. A single carb is the most reliable and robust fueling system on this gay earth in the grand scheme of things, EFI just deteriorates slowly and is tamper resistant so most people never see the drawbacks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When a 2000-era fuel injected bike is 50 years old like early UJM’s are today you can bet there will be posting and gnashing of teeth about fueling problems on future forums.

Fuel injection can power through some of the issues that carbs have but there are limits. When you pull an ancient R6 out of a cyberbarn in 2050, it’s gonna need fuel work just like a carb would.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 11, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When a 2000-era fuel injected bike is 50 years old like early UJM’s are today you can bet there will be posting and gnashing of teeth about fueling problems on future forums.

Fuel injection can power through some of the issues that carbs have but there are limits. When you pull an ancient R6 out of a cyberbarn in 2050, it’s gonna need fuel work just like a carb would.

Yeah this, and that work is drastically more painful, involved and complicated. That's not even mentioning the computer touching elements of ecu's etc.

I've dealt with a few 00's era EFI bikes that heavy mileage + heavy abuse and it's a loving nightmare, I'd rather have carbs in that situation.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYUHmpBY3jI

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carb to EFI conversion: six months.

Getting the throttle response just right: the next six years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:stwoon:

I know it doesn't really gain anything over the carb but it's one step closer to my dream of a remastered Hawk GT

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 11, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Carb to EFI conversion: six months.

Getting the throttle response just right: the next six years.

It's some German guy and he's been working on it forever. But yeah that last few inches is going to take a loooong time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'M NEVER TOUCHING ANOTHER PILOT SCREW AGAIN *spends years converting to EFI, plays with the mapping for the rest of his life chasing the sweet sweet carb response*

E: I'll bet Erik Buell converted a bike to EFI when he was younger and talked his mates' ears off about how much better it was while they all rode off to have fun on their working bikes

E2: while I'm on the topic, there's also Harley's amazing back to front bikes circa 99-01 wherein they have a carb and cdi yet also have a cam position sensor, map sensor, tip-over switch and check engine light. They developed the bike for efi but when it came to actually riding the thing they found the throttle response and other aspects completely unacceptable, so they just bodged the cdi and carb from the earlier model on there until the bugs were worked out. Only Honda, Harley and Yamaha operate this way afaict.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 11, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It would be easier to cram the EFI SV650 motor in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Why is it so hard to get EFI throttle response right? It seems like it should be easier as you have an easily programmed computer vs dealing with the laws of physics, but obviously that's not the case