Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What shock it turns out she's a Nazi

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ohio/comments/ns11vm/this_is_apparently_the_son_of_cindy_suchan/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

What are the redeeming qualities of having the American Legion around? My understanding of their history is they got a start as union busters at the start of the 20th century and hitched on to the anti-communism of the cold war.

Do they typically also do a lot of charitable work in the communities?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Hudson is lillywhite suburb full of professional class boomer dickheads who worship at rhe altar of "I Built It" so this tracks. Can't have The Blacks be part of their brave patriotic story.

Also, hasn't the American Legion always been full of John Birch assholes vs the more chill VFW?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Also, hasn't the American Legion always been full of John Birch assholes vs the more chill VFW?

Considering the VFW is more restrictive, and requires you to have deployed to a war zone under Title 10 orders and recieved a campaign medal/recieved HFP/IDP or the like, where AL is just "if you enlisted between WWI and now you can join", yeah. Caveat that both vet orgs are poo poo up with old dudes who think Trump was ok, and the last time either org had people who were actively seeking to join was Vietnam, it's a buncha old dudes who don't understand why younger vets don't like them.

Huh, I never kept up with uniform regs and updated my GWOT-EM with a service star for deploying to the gulf during OIF, and OER. Wonder if I can get that updated/whether I should even give a gently caress considering i'm out.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 6, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-ag-says-trump-wouldve-lost-state-if-it-hadnt-blocked-mail-ballots-applications-being-1597909

quote:

exas Attorney General Ken Paxton, a Republican, said former President Donald Trump would have lost in Texas in the 2020 election if his office had not successfully blocked counties from mailing out applications for mail-in ballots to all registered voters.

Harris County, home to the city of Houston, wanted to mail out applications for mail-in ballots to its approximately 2.4 million registered voters due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the conservative Texas Supreme Court blocked the county from doing so after it faced litigation from Paxton's office.

"If we'd lost Harris County—Trump won by 620,000 votes in Texas. Harris County mail-in ballots that they wanted to send out were 2.5 million, those were all illegal and we were able to stop every one of them," Paxton told former Trump adviser Steve Bannon during the latter's War Room podcast on Friday.

Notably, the Texas attorney general conflated mail-in ballots with applications for mail-in ballots in his remarks to Bannon. Harris County did not attempt to mail actual ballots to registered voters—just applications to request them if the individual voter wanted one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand, I’ll believe a blue Texas only when I see it.

On the other, it would explain why Rs are so hellbent on clamping down on voting rights. Isn’t there almost no way a presidential candidate could make 270 without a Texas?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It's amazing how many states would consistently go blue if they didn't have the most obvious gerrymandering. IIRC one of the cities in Texas has some baffling tiny thin district that loops around a bunch of different neighbourhoods just to guarantee the Republicans an extra electoral vote.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kazinsal posted:

It's amazing how many states would consistently go blue if they didn't have the most obvious gerrymandering. IIRC one of the cities in Texas has some baffling tiny thin district that loops around a bunch of different neighbourhoods just to guarantee the Republicans an extra electoral vote.

But both sides benefit from it! Ignoring just how much more one side benefits from it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I was a big fan of the font made entirely out of gerrymandered counties.

quote:

honi__soit 3 points 6 hours ago
Before Cindy Suchan deleted her FB I checked it out. It was years and years worth of almost nothing but Legion events, Legion meetings, Legion-organized parades, blah blah. American Legion was apparently this bint's whole entire life and sense of purpose; she was Queen Bee of that post and she ran that poo poo with an iron hand and an implacable sense of self-importance -- her way or the highway.

Not any more. No more dictating the post's business and bossing the membership, no more fawning interviews in the newspaper and on local tv, no more meetings with town and state officials, no more being courted by vendors and charities, no more making the rules and forcing everyone else to obey them. No more private-fiefdom American Legion post.

For someone like Cindy Suchan this must be one of the worst things that could ever happen to her, and I'm so glad. :)

:yeshaha:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Thwomp posted:

On the one hand, I’ll believe a blue Texas only when I see it.

On the other, it would explain why Rs are so hellbent on clamping down on voting rights. Isn’t there almost no way a presidential candidate could make 270 without a Texas?

I doubt Texas goes blue at any point in our lifetime. At best it will go purple every so often.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Zamujasa posted:

"For someone like Cindy Suchan this must be one of the worst things that could ever happen to her, and I'm so glad."

Honestly, it would be fitting if they didn't force her to resign, just make her stay as the leader of a dead, disbanded AL post that she personally killed by being such a lovely person. "The contribution of black veterans is not an appropriate topic when honoring veterans" indeed, gently caress entirely off with that.

Here's something else that's not an appropriate topic for the D-day anniversary, please make sure you don't read about this fantastic American who received an entirely, predictably, depressing reception after the war.

https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1401292167302242307

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

I doubt Texas goes blue at any point in our lifetime. At best it will go purple every so often.

I'll be interested to see the demographic shifts. My brothers in laws moved from Washington State to Arizona because they where afraid of the black people and poors violence coming to their home two hours away from the closest city.
So I assume a lot of those kinds of weirdos are moving to the American Southwest, which might lock in those states forever.

On the other hand, I've heard a lot of liberal tech friends are moving out of California to go to Georgia/Texas because of their jobs allowing WFH. So who knows.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

I was a big fan of the font made entirely out of gerrymandered counties.

:yeshaha:

the dude's twitter handle is @evilone0411, i'm going to laugh my rear end off if his MOS was 0411 (assuming he was in the military at some point)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McNally posted:

lol the Legion Auxiliary president who was involved is trying to ride it out.

As above, so below.

Riding it out has worked well high-profile cases in the last five years.

Look who’s still governing New York.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Kazinsal posted:

You may be thinking of TX-2. Dan Crenshaw represents a huge swath of the far outer suburbs... and a weird little toe into the heart of town that just so happens to encapsulate the liberal Montrose/Rice U/Med Center area while bypassing a lot of the big money in River Oaks. Curious!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Defenestrategy posted:

I'll be interested to see the demographic shifts. My brothers in laws moved from Washington State to Arizona because they where afraid of the black people and poors violence coming to their home two hours away from the closest city.
So I assume a lot of those kinds of weirdos are moving to the American Southwest, which might lock in those states forever.

On the other hand, I've heard a lot of liberal tech friends are moving out of California to go to Georgia/Texas because of their jobs allowing WFH. So who knows.

Oh yeah a former landlord I had did the same move from Seattle to Arizona, because it’s so godless up here.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Discussion Quorum posted:

You may be thinking of TX-2. Dan Crenshaw represents a huge swath of the far outer suburbs... and a weird little toe into the heart of town that just so happens to encapsulate the liberal Montrose/Rice U/Med Center area while bypassing a lot of the big money in River Oaks. Curious!

This one is pretty dumb, stretches from San Marcos & Austin all the way up to Fort Worth. THere's another crazy one that wraps around Austin as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas%27s_25th_congressional_district

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Defenestrategy posted:

I sorta did that, went from LA to Austin, only to eventually discover it's not really that much cheaper and I'd very much rather be back in California. The only difference is I would have a 2bed/2bath/2car car garage place in say, Santa Clarita Valley vs say a suburban starter home in a place like Leander, TX. I'd rather have the smaller house and be back in CA. Looked at a lot of big texas homes around Austin and outlaying areas and the property taxes were an eye opener.

I figure I'll still WFH for my Austin based employer, just in Palm Springs, CA or Las Vegas or something later this year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Texas has too many fucky congressional districts to list here.

Just go down the Wikipedia table and laugh at their contrived borders.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey ummm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57373058

quote:

El Salvador's president says he will make the Bitcoin crypto-currency legal tender in the country.

If his plan is backed by congress, the Central American country would be first in the world to formally adopt the digital currency.

It would be used alongside the US dollar, El Salvador's official currency.

This would effectively make an entire country a money-laundering enterprise, right?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The answer is grift.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Oh christ I'm never going to be able to afford a new gfx card ever again :smith:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/1401406435121106947?s=19

Your favorite good (great) President bloviating in NC yesterday

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/1401406435121106947?s=19

Your favorite good (great) President bloviating in NC yesterday

Is he wearing a diaper?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh christ I'm never going to be able to afford a new gfx card ever again :smith:

Join us in console land, next time any of them are in stock, lol.

Bitcoin is currently trying very hard to get back above $36k, I'm sure tether and USDC will print billions today, like they have every day for the past month or so. That's after the El Salvador announcement, which effectively had no bump yet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey ummm

This would effectively make an entire country a money-laundering enterprise, right?

I mean the Cayman Islands already exist.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Posture so f'd up you can't tell if his rear end is coming or going.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1401481209226596355?s=19

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey ummm

Panama is fuckin slackin

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lmao

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Big K of Justice posted:

I sorta did that, went from LA to Austin, only to eventually discover it's not really that much cheaper and I'd very much rather be back in California. The only difference is I would have a 2bed/2bath/2car car garage place in say, Santa Clarita Valley vs say a suburban starter home in a place like Leander, TX. I'd rather have the smaller house and be back in CA. Looked at a lot of big texas homes around Austin and outlaying areas and the property taxes were an eye opener.

I figure I'll still WFH for my Austin based employer, just in Palm Springs, CA or Las Vegas or something later this year.

Ive heard that the money ones saves on 0% Texas state income tax is balanced by higher utility bills but I don't know for sure. also how do the property taxes around Austin compare to SoCal?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic here. He won't vote yes on anything unless everyone agrees to it. So, the only agenda that will get passed with Democratic control of the Senate is the Republican agenda.

Eject him from the party.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic here. He won't vote yes on anything unless everyone agrees to it. So, the only agenda that will get passed with Democratic control of the Senate is the Republican agenda.

Eject him from the party.

Didn't he vote yes on that Senate thing that would have killed Obamacare and it was saved by McCain voting no?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sacrist65 posted:

Ive heard that the money ones saves on 0% Texas state income tax is balanced by higher utility bills but I don't know for sure. also how do the property taxes around Austin compare to SoCal?

The overall tax burden is lower in TX than CA (and the state provides fewer services as a result), but the incidence can vary. Property taxes make up the bulk of the difference from a lack of income tax, the combined (city, county, school district, etc) rate is usually 2-2.5% in TX depending on where you live. Basically the more of your income goes to housing/the more your assets are tied up in housing, the worse off you are in TX relative to CA.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Still more pissed at Cal Cunningham for not keeping his dick in his pants and Sara Gideon for running a poo poo campaign. At least Manchin's always been this kind of a douche and he's not going to be the only no vote on it.

Flikken posted:

Didn't he vote yes on that Senate thing that would have killed Obamacare and it was saved by McCain voting no?

Nope, he voted no on it and ran in 2018 with this ad, literally shooting one of the Republican Obamacare lawsuits:

https://youtu.be/tNte7Vr-IJg

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 6, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

At least Manchin's always been this kind of a douche and he's not going to be the only no vote on it.

Lol.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Pretty cool they're handing the country over and people who can't stop telling others they are the adults in the room will say it's your fault if you don't blue no matter what while pointing at some neutered policy as victories

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

"Hm, if we don't pass this legislation, I'll definitely lose my influence in the majority party and probably lose my seat in the next election. On the other hand, lots of black people across the country will be disenfranchised so I guess I'll block it."

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

That Works posted:

Is he wearing a diaper?

I was thinking just a sagging fat roll, but it's gotta be a diaper. There's no way that putting your pants on backwards wouldn't feel absolutely wrong without some thick layer in between.

How the gently caress did he zip them up? The zipper is clearly not at the front. Is he just farting out an open fly in the back? Are all his nerves completely shot and he just can't feel anything?

What a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I love him