Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

smellmycheese posted:

Most French can speak English. They just refuse to on principle
Also "this French guy didn't speak English so obviously he doesn't speak anything other than French" is the most hilariously anglophone thing I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Rust Martialis posted:

"Wer fremde Sprachen nicht kennt, weiß nichts von seiner eigenen."

Dansk er mit femte sprog. Neener.

It wasn't a challenge to see who could be more obnoxious, but congratulations!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It wasn't a challenge to see who could be more obnoxious

Are you new here?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

smellmycheese posted:

the rule of thumb in france is that they are annoyed by people speaking english, but even more annoyed by people speaking bad french

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

baw posted:

the rule of thumb in france is that they are annoyed

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Mon dieu, que fait cet homme avec son cul ? hon hon hon

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
As a general rule English is a strong second language for most Europeans so as long as you aren't a dick and at least make a schoolboy effort in the local tongue people will be happy to take pity and switch over once you run out of words.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Australians tend to speak English exclusive if only because no one has the slightest idea what we should learn as a second language. My various schools had Indonesian, French and German. Some might suggest Chinese. I think there's a lot of Greek and Italian speakers. As the old saying goes, Melbourne has the third highest population of Greeks in the world, including cities in Greece.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I always ask every Quebecois I meet whether it's true or not that French speakers from France think they speak 18th century peasant French just to gently caress with them.

Not really, all of the Quebecois I've met have been mimes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There's a joke:

What do you call someone who speaks many languages?
A multilinguist

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
A bilinguist

What do you call someone who speaks one language?
An anglophone

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Splicer posted:

Also "this French guy didn't speak English so obviously he doesn't speak anything other than French" is the most hilariously anglophone thing I've ever heard.

Maybe things changed on the last 10 years but when I backpacked through France around 2010 it was a struggle to find people who spoke decent english. We all spoke french to a certain degree so it wasn't like we couldn't communicate, but it was a pretty funny mish mash of words and gestures most of the time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Son of Rodney posted:

Maybe things changed on the last 10 years but when I backpacked through France around 2010 it was a struggle to find people who spoke decent english. We all spoke french to a certain degree so it wasn't like we couldn't communicate, but it was a pretty funny mish mash of words and gestures most of the time.
The point I'm making is that your post uses fluency in English as the sole metric for whether the speaker is multilingual. Just because they didn't speak fluent English doesn't mean they didn't speak German or Italian or Spanish or Russian or Polish or Portugese or Mandarin or whatever. Though a random farmer in southern France is probably going to know more Spanish than Mandarin.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Jun 6, 2021

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Splicer posted:

The point I'm making is that your post uses fluency in English as the sole metric for whether the speaker is multilingual. Just because they didn't speak fluent English doesn't mean they didn't speak German or Italian or Spanish or Russian or Polish or Chinese or whatever.

Ah, fair point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australians tend to speak English exclusive if only because no one has the slightest idea what we should learn as a second language. My various schools had Indonesian, French and German. Some might suggest Chinese. I think there's a lot of Greek and Italian speakers. As the old saying goes, Melbourne has the third highest population of Greeks in the world, including cities in Greece.

I've had a few schools in my youth (:corsair:) which had multiple language classes in the core curriculum. One had Japanese and German, another had Indonesian, French and German, and another had just French and German as options (I think you had to take one of them iirc).

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Melbourne has the third highest population of Greeks in the world, including cities in Greece.

This is Chicago and Poles/the Polish language. 1.5 million Poles in Chicago, 1.8 million in Poland's capital city of Warsaw.

I was going to make a joke about how Aussies are so casually racist they don't even consider the Aboriginal language worth learning but then I googled Aboriginal population statistics and it made me sad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cumshitter posted:

I was going to make a joke about how Aussies are so casually racist they don't even consider the Aboriginal language worth learning but then I googled Aboriginal population statistics and it made me sad.

Australia is the only Commonwealth country that still doesn't have a treaty with their indigenous peoples, we're garbage :ssh:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Surprised you didn't list Japanese, because my fiancee lived in a town of like 40k and her high school offered Japanese.

(she did not take it, I am the goon of the relationship after all)

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Australia is the only Commonwealth country that still doesn't have a treaty with their indigenous peoples, we're garbage :ssh:

Thinking about it I feel dumb for assuming the native peoples of Australia have one language, but also it's not like America has scrupulously honored its own treaties so everyone is awful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cumshitter posted:

I always ask every Quebecois I meet whether it's true or not that French speakers from France think they speak 18th century peasant French just to gently caress with them.

Not really, all of the Quebecois I've met have been mimes.

Am reminded that supposedly the Southern accent, especially Appalachian, is actually closer to what old timey Shakespearean English sounded like than modern English speakers. (short version, everyone in England ended up patterning their accents after the nobility, especially with the rise of mass media) Hamlet apparently starts making more sense when you play him sounding like Gomer Pyle.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Parisians are assholes about English because they hate tourists, for a good reason, honestly. The way to avoid the cold shoulder is to practice a few opening lines and show that at least you made the effort of learning some of the local language. Usually I begin with the usual "bonjour, bonjour, oui, je voudrais... le... comment dit-on ce..." and at that moment the server switches to English because hein, at least you tried! You have shown yourself to be a decent person and merit some actual service. Yeah, it's a bother, but hey, you're the visitor so get used to it, I guess?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Australia had incredible language diversity.

The yellow area alone consisted of perhaps three hundred language, but we’ll never know the true number because most of them dead now.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It wasn't a challenge to see who could be more obnoxious, but congratulations!

Enciende tu monitor.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Am reminded that supposedly the Southern accent, especially Appalachian, is actually closer to what old timey Shakespearean English sounded like than modern English speakers.

People keep saying this but AFAIK it's not true.

Here's a guy doing a deep-dive on it

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Yestermoment posted:

Mon dieu, que fait cet homme avec son cul ? hon hon hon

Calme-toi ma chérie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

smellmycheese posted:

tbh this is a good principle

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Am reminded that supposedly the Southern accent, especially Appalachian, is actually closer to what old timey Shakespearean English sounded like than modern English speakers. (short version, everyone in England ended up patterning their accents after the nobility, especially with the rise of mass media) Hamlet apparently starts making more sense when you play him sounding like Gomer Pyle.

Shakespeare was literally garbage written for drunks who bought standing room only tickets. There would be "Orange Girls" in the pits who were nominally there to sell oranges to drunks but were actually prostitues.

A couple fun Shakespeare facts:

-Servants would make money selling old clothes given to them by nobles to actor troupes as costumes, which is where troupes like Shakespeare's would get their fanciest costumes from.

-Nobles could literally pay to have seats on the stage so people could see how fancy their newly tailored clothes were. This was extremely fancy, because your average viewer would only pay a few thruppance or hay'pennies or whatever to get a standing room ticket.

-There is at least one historical account of an audience being so drunk and rowdy that they loved one joke so much that they threatened the actors to replay it about a dozen times before they were done laughing at it.

Shakespearean plays are only fancy in retrospect. I learned a lot of this from a really fun college English professor who would tell us about how she taught Shakesepeare at a fancy Catholic school and she would constantly have to explain to them, "This was written by a Protestant who thought you were literal devils who worshiped the whore of Babylon."

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Cumshitter is always right about everything

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He remembers the original plays

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All this means is that Australia is the only Commonwealth country which hasn't broken a treaty with its indigenous peoples.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

darkwasthenight posted:

As a general rule English is a strong second language for most Europeans so as long as you aren't a dick and at least make a schoolboy effort in the local tongue people will be happy to take pity and switch over once you run out of words.

If I ever find myself in France somehow, my plan was to apologize for not having any French and that I would not want to offend them by badly mangling their language.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

I had trouble ordering a big mac at McDonald's, my monster of a sentence "one. big Mac menu. sil vous plait" just got a panicked "....Le big Mac??" Back.
I don’t think Pulp Fiction is an effective translation source, hth.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

cumshitter posted:

-Nobles could literally pay to have seats on the stage so people could see how fancy their newly tailored clothes were. This was extremely fancy, because your average viewer would only pay a few thruppance or hay'pennies or whatever to get a standing room ticket.

You can still do this in some theatres, but now instead of showing off your clothes its so you can tell everyone you meet how getting so close to Mark Rylance showed you how theatre was true art.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would you get le Big Mac™ when you could get le P’tit Fondu?

https://twitter.com/McDonaldsFoix/status/1199616417550741506

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Splicer posted:

I once literally heard a Brit making fun of a Spanish acquaintance of his that spoke very bad English while he was visiting her in Spain (and she was, in fact, Russian) and she tried to help him get around because he only spoke English.

That said, the Spanish themselves are, in my experience, among Europe's absolute worst when it comes to speaking anything other than Spanish. If you meet a Spanish person who is fluent in more than one language, there's an 85% chance that person is Catalan.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

When I worked at disney world like a decade ago I had both italian and french roommates, and none of them could speak any english other than MAYBE introducing themselves. Oh and the one italian knew how to say "cocaine for fifty dollar". All set to work in america

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Danes immediately switch to English as a courtesy vis-à-vis the choking hazard.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was in a small town in Northern Italy, on lake Como, back in college and while trying to find the villa's pool ended up in a conversation with the only guy in the town who could speak any kind of English, and it wasn't very much. While we're walking to the pool he turns to me and slyly asks "you like to douche? *nods* You like to douche."

Took me a minute before I remembered he also spoke French and probably couldn't remember the English word "shower."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Goblin Craft posted:

If I ever find myself in France somehow, my plan was to apologize for not having any French and that I would not want to offend them by badly mangling their language.

When I want to Japan a few years ago I picked up a few phrasebooks to try and at least make an effort. One of the best phrases was basically "I apologize for how I'm about to pronounce this next sentence, please forgive me"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Pope Hilarius II posted:

That said, the Spanish themselves are, in my experience, among Europe's absolute worst when it comes to speaking anything other than Spanish. If you meet a Spanish person who is fluent in more than one language, there's an 85% chance that person is Catalan.

Or basque. They both pretty much concider castillian Spanish their second language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh, did I post about my friend's ex?

He lived in the next town over. One time he was visiting her, and she'd been out. She came home to her apartment reeking, her cats freaking out, and her boyfriend standing over several pots of urine bubbling on her stove.

See, he was into chaos magic. He explained that some woman had looked at him funny on the bus, and he concluded that she was a witch who had put a curse on him, and further that he was now engaged in magical combat with her. And the best way he could think of to do that was to use his own urine as a spell component.

A bit later she went to pee in her toilet, and saw some kind of capsule floating in the bowl. She confronted her boyfriend, who explained that it was a key part of his psychic warfare, and that he really needed her to pee on it.

She used nearby restaurant bathrooms for the three days it took her to get him the gently caress out of her apartment and dump his rear end.