Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The smartest and strongest leader possible, per the GOP.

The Onion's business model continues to struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
He’s probably wearing pants with a stretchy waistband if I had to guess

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

not caring here posted:

I was thinking just a sagging fat roll, but it's gotta be a diaper. There's no way that putting your pants on backwards wouldn't feel absolutely wrong without some thick layer in between.

How the gently caress did he zip them up? The zipper is clearly not at the front. Is he just farting out an open fly in the back? Are all his nerves completely shot and he just can't feel anything?

What a mess.

they are probably just elastic-waisted and without pockets like the sweatpants they gave us in bootcamp, just pull them up

makes the whole diaper situation much easier to deal with

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Zamujasa posted:

Reddit post
:yeshaha:

:lol: very much same :yeshaha:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

US Berder Patrol posted:

they are probably just elastic-waisted and without pockets like the sweatpants they gave us in bootcamp, just pull them up

makes the whole diaper situation much easier to deal with

Looks like this is all just a fupa (pronounced like faux pas)

https://twitter.com/robpegoraro/status/1401598745662402562

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

Chuds have told me that snopes is liberal fake news propaganda so obviously this is liberal fake news propaganda and he wore his pants backwards.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

This is probably the biggest disappointment (so far) in 2021.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Apparently they make fake pull up dress pants for people who have to wear adult diapers and/or have issues dressing themselves, so it very well could be that instead.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Moderately NSFW, the video isn't high-quality enough.

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1401365183964999681

Apparently this was on a Tuesday and she is 53. Tasing is at 1:24 and whatever poo poo she was on couldn't power through it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Apparently this was on a Tuesday and she is 53. Tasing is at 1:24 and whatever poo poo she was on couldn't power through it.

Screaming orders at someone in that state is definitely an effective move, glad we have such capable police.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Stultus Maximus posted:

Screaming orders at someone in that state is definitely an effective move, glad we have such capable police.

Random police fact of the day: There’s a nonzero chance they will pull their pistol thinking it’s their taser and kill you.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic here. He won't vote yes on anything unless everyone agrees to it. So, the only agenda that will get passed with Democratic control of the Senate is the Republican agenda.

Eject him from the party.

Joe Manchin is a shitstain Democratic who only keeps getting elected because of his family name, and at the same time ejecting him from the party would hand control of the Senate to the Republicans again. It's the worst.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Retrowave Joe posted:

Joe Manchin is a shitstain Democratic who only keeps getting elected because of his family name, and at the same time ejecting him from the party would hand control of the Senate to the Republicans again. It's the worst.

But he's the one handing control to the Republicans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

boop the snoot posted:

Random police fact of the day: There’s a nonzero chance they will pull their pistol thinking it’s their taser and kill you.

I think every child these days needs to be taught that no matter the circumstances, calling the police may result in cops shooting you, the person you are calling them about, and any person, cat, or dog that happens to be in eyeshot.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Conservatives already control the Senate

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Conservatives already control the Senate

:this:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And the moderately conservative are trying to discourage and/or expel anyone more liberal than they are from their party because then they get to bill themselves as the opposition to hardcore conservatism in the media.

"We can't have actual *liberals* in the Democratic party or people might expect us to *actually do stuff*!" :shepface:

They won't expel Manchin because it would show backbone. "If you're against the practice of democracy, we don't WANT you in our party, even if it means losing the majority."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 6, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

not caring here posted:

I was thinking just a sagging fat roll, but it's gotta be a diaper. There's no way that putting your pants on backwards wouldn't feel absolutely wrong without some thick layer in between.

How the gently caress did he zip them up? The zipper is clearly not at the front. Is he just farting out an open fly in the back? Are all his nerves completely shot and he just can't feel anything?

What a mess.

I just spent 15 seconds staring at Donald Trump’s crotch on a Sunday morning. Who’s the idiot now?

:(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My pet theory is the fascists took over both parties in the 70's and have been eroding rights gained during the preceding decades.

Oh poo poo, now they're gonna kill me give me free and fair elections.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And the moderately conservative are trying to discourage and/or expel anyone more liberal than they are from their party because then they get to bill themselves as the opposition to hardcore conservatism in the media.

"We can't have actual *liberals* in the Democratic party or people might expect us to *actually do stuff*!" :shepface:

They won't expel Manchin because it would show backbone. "If you're against the practice of democracy, we don't WANT you in our party, even if it means losing the majority."

They won’t expel Manchin from the party because it would hand the Senate to Mitch McConnell.

I’m really sick of negative partisanship but I could not support consciously handing the chamber to Mitch (even if it would kick Manchin in the dick).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Keeping Manchin and not passing voting rights reforms will do the same thing except for both houses in less than 2 years.

We'll be back to full GOP 3 branch control in 2024.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thwomp posted:

They won’t expel Manchin from the party because it would hand the Senate to Mitch McConnell.

I’m really sick of negative partisanship but I could not support consciously handing the chamber to Mitch (even if it would kick Manchin in the dick).

Things Machin has gotten us: a big, if flawed, COVID relief bill.
Things Manchin will cost us: Democracy.

Cut him off as a warning to others.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stultus Maximus posted:

Things Machin has gotten us: a big, if flawed, COVID relief bill.
Things Manchin will cost us: Democracy.

Cut him off as a warning to others.

whats the warning? "do as we say or you will stop having to pretend to care and can just go full mask off" doesn't seem like much of a threat

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RFC2324 posted:

whats the warning? "do as we say or you will stop having to pretend to care and can just go full mask off" doesn't seem like much of a threat

Manchin won't survive a challenge from the Republican right without DSCC support. Neither will any conservadem.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

That Works posted:

Keeping Manchin and not passing voting rights reforms will do the same thing except for both houses in less than 2 years.

This is what I expect and more American branded fascism and evangelism. I can't wait for my marriage to be annulled by the government and legally discriminated against.

And also maybe lynched. I wish I could stop doomering, but it's hard.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Stultus Maximus posted:

And what could go wrong from having someone lose muscle control over a pile of broken glass.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

That Works posted:

This, with a more capable fascist than Trump at the helm.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

But he's the one handing control to the Republicans.

And as terrible as that as, we don’t have Mitch McConnell in control of committee assignments. I get that we’re probably going to pay the piper next year or in 2024, and yet it would be undeniably worse right now with the Republicans in Senate leadership positions.

Edit: And when Manchin goes, unless we somehow convince everyone to the left of him under 45 that emigrated from WV over the last twenty years to move back, me included, his replacement will be a Republican.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 6, 2021

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

The ideal deployment for a taser - a barely moving suspect with no clothes on!*

*Clothing or thick clothing can gently caress up the sucessful deployment - the barbs of the taser not only have to penetrate the skin, but they have a minimum distance they have to be from one another. If they're too close, even if they do penetrate, it won't seize the person up. The Active Self Protection guy calls tasers the Sex Panther of less lethal, 50% of the time it works every time.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

The ideal deployment for a taser - a barely moving suspect with no clothes on!*

*Clothing or thick clothing can gently caress up the sucessful deployment - the barbs of the taser not only have to penetrate the skin, but they have a minimum distance they have to be from one another. If they're too close, even if they do penetrate, it won't seize the person up. The Active Self Protection guy calls tasers the Sex Panther of less lethal, 50% of the time it works every time.

Even when you get a good hit, I've seen people fight through.
I've also personally seen a dude get hit, and literally nothing happened. He felt it, they had the approp seperation- it just didn't work.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Sacrist65 posted:

Ive heard that the money ones saves on 0% Texas state income tax is balanced by higher utility bills but I don't know for sure. also how do the property taxes around Austin compare to SoCal?

Short version is: The math will work out differently depending on where exactly you live, etc. Personally I didn't find the "NO INCOME TAX" appeal to mean much once you factor in property taxes, etc. Don't take a paycut to move from CA to TX assuming it works out with the no income tax until you run all the math.

I found the utilities are about the same, DMV fees in TX are much lower compared to California, I was paying about $700/year for my 2 vehicles in California vs say, $110 in Texas. Gas is cheaper but I don't care about that, I don't drive that much anymore. Food's about the same, eating out, etc.

The Property taxes near the big cities with any sort of infrastructure is where you pick up the slack, and it can be a large trade off depending. Texas has a Robin Hood system where City/Suburban areas kick in tax revenue to all the rural areas so that can be as much as the city/county taxes. Property taxes for me near Cedar Park [Austin Suburb is about 3%] .

My old townhome in Stevenson Ranch went for $375,000, for 1300 sq foot 2 bed 2 bath with a 2 car garage. So for a 30 year fixed with 20% down I was looking at $75,000 down, $1291 in mortgage, $391/mo in taxes , and around $100 for insurance, about $1700-1800 a month.

Now a similar priced house, 3 bed 2 path, 1600 sq foot with a small lot and 2 car garage, a bit bigger and a yard, about the same payment but higher insurance quote [$200] and the taxes are coming in at $542 a month. So you get a larger detached home but you are at around $2100/mo.

Don't be these guys in the video, read the fine print. There's also a trick some scammy realtors/builders pull with new homes where they show you the payment of your first year, but that first year's taxes is assessed with the property being an empty lot. Then you get hit with the tax increase for the 2nd year. Co-worker fell into that trap and brought his new dream house then got hit with a +$800 a month to cover it starting into his second year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C6AIHqCztc

If its a brand new everything subdivision, you can also bring in Utility / Municipal districts which have their own property taxes for a new development. Some places like Leander, TX can't keep up with growth so the developers build out the water/sewer themselves , hook it up to the city then charge a tax to manage/run it. You have the option of paying the lump sum of it all at once or break it over 10-15-30 years or whatever. Supposedly in 30 years its supposed to be all paid off but what tends to happen is these SIDS/MUDS become a super-HOA adding in improvements and extra stuff/upgrades new facilities to keep extending out expenses and extend tax collection.

Since the only revenue many towns get is from these taxes, the county/city level assessments are at 100% of the value of the property and are aggressively re-assessed. California locks it at a certain assessment [proposition 13], and if you go to AZ/NV they have less aggressive property taxes [Clark County in Vegas locks property taxes @ 30% of the value of the home at construction so I'm looking at buying a resale home in Clark County later this year] For the money I'm spending in Austin area, I can live in Vegas and have a similar sized home but with a pool, plus I love the desert more than hill county, so that's a bonus for me. I have no ties to Texas to keep me here.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Vegas is hot. If you can afford Austin, you can afford Denver.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

This is what I expect and more American branded fascism and evangelism. I can't wait for my marriage to be annulled by the government and legally discriminated against.

And also maybe lynched. I wish I could stop doomering, but it's hard.
I seems like everyone with half a brain can see this, but nobody is particularly interested in stopping it. Or has no idea how to.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

stealie72 posted:

I seems like everyone with half a brain can see this, but nobody is particularly interested in stopping it. Or has no idea how to.

People know how to. poo poo, there's a whole constitutional amendment that makes it much easier. It comes between "mostly free speech" and "no quartering troops without consent". It's just that it requires organization at a scale beyond that which is really possible for the average person in America (somewhat by design), and also has a guaranteed death rate, which makes it entirely unattractive to the overwhelming majority of people left of the Klan.

A popular movement that begets an uprising requires a critical mass of organization that just isn't feasible to accomplish in a police state spread across half a continent with enormous empty space between all the potential hotspots of activity that tend to be populated with right-wing militia types who are way more willing to kill on average than most of the proletariat.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

People know how to. poo poo, there's a whole constitutional amendment that makes it much easier. It comes between "mostly free speech" and "no quartering troops without consent". It's just that it requires organization at a scale beyond that which is really possible for the average person in America (somewhat by design), and also has a guaranteed death rate, which makes it entirely unattractive to the overwhelming majority of people left of the Klan.

A popular movement that begets an uprising requires a critical mass of organization that just isn't feasible to accomplish in a police state spread across half a continent with enormous empty space between all the potential hotspots of activity that tend to be populated with right-wing militia types who are way more willing to kill on average than most of the proletariat.
Yeah, thats the worst case scenario though. I want to believe there is something between this present moment and the US becoming a massive Yugoslavia/Rwanda scenario.

I'm also a lefty living in chudland so the death squads are rolling through my hood first.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

stealie72 posted:

Kazinsal posted:

Most of the people interested in doing what you describe have so separated themselves by principle from acquiring experience in operation and governance that its only an indiligence and lethargy of their opponents that would give then a fighting chance.

People are (reasonably) exasperated about society not managing fundamental changes in computational power and information flow. Terrible things may happen--terrible things are happening and will continue to happen. But when in doubt, find someone younger than you and capable, and help prepare them for whatever the next challenge is. Liberty is a decades and centuries concern, and it's easy to get mired in the month and the minute.

piL fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 7, 2021

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

stealie72 posted:

a third of the country wants to carry about the pogroms, another third wants to make money off it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/RepMoBrooks/status/1401595174220861453

Member of the House Armed Services Subcommittee and the Science, Space, and Technology Subcommittee

Now look at the lower bezel of the monitor.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/RepMoBrooks/status/1401595174220861453

Member of the House Armed Services Subcommittee and the Science, Space, and Technology Subcommittee

Now look at the lower bezel of the monitor.

No its OK he has since made a second Tweet with a new picture that doesn't include the bottom of the screen.

Context: Brooks is being sued by Swalwell over Jan 6th and was hiding to avoid being served; that was the "trespass."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Jesus Christ.