Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

That is a very typical ailment for an air cooled monster, which is what you really own.

A non-exhaustive list of things that can make that happen:
Module senses battery voltage too low, cuts off start signal, not necessarily from an actual bad battery
Starter relay from 1983 failing
Hopelessly inadequate earth cable being hopelessly inadequate
Loose valve clearances robbing compression
Emissions tune if you're running a pipe
Tps calibration
Immobilizer fuckery if you leave the key in overnight
Ckp sensor too far from the flywheel

Some of the fixes include but aren't limited to:
Ckp shimming
Aftermarket relay
Supplementary cables
Set clearances to the correct 80's specs
Tune the ecu for the pipe if present

All of this plus check that your chassis neutral is properly tight - if there's a gap that closes as the engine warms up this might explain things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why is it harder to get my Harley into neutral now than in November when I bought it freshly serviced from the dealer?

It’s done 3000+ miles since then.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Change the trans oil

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Change the trans oil

Primary oil. But yeah.

Also clutch cable adjustment.

Also check the play and lubrication of any shift linkages.

If the ambient temp has changed dramatically since the service, a primary oil that worked well in November may not work well now, and there's room to try different stuff.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks guys.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t own any bikes with separate transmission primary oil like a Harley, but every bike I own gets notchy, crappy feeling shifting when it’s time to change the oil. That’s often my first indicator that it’s time, since most all of my bikes get the oil changed before 3k

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a best-beore date for (unused) engine oil? If I have a big jug of Motul 5100 with probably 1/3 remaining after an oil change this time last year. Can I still expect it to be good? I’ll need to get another jug either way since I’m not sure that 1/3 would be enough but curious whether I need to write off the remnants of last year’s bottle and just start anew?

It’s been in the garage all winter so heat/cool cycles etc, if that matters at all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the oil was in the ground for like 60 million years before they dug it up and put it in a bottle. another 6 months in your garage is not going to make a difference.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sagebrush posted:

the oil was in the ground for like 60 million years before they dug it up and put it in a bottle. another 6 months in your garage is not going to make a difference.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they don't have a refinery at home and are talking about crude oil, but rather something processed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Is there a best-beore date for (unused) engine oil? If I have a big jug of Motul 5100 with probably 1/3 remaining after an oil change this time last year. Can I still expect it to be good? I’ll need to get another jug either way since I’m not sure that 1/3 would be enough but curious whether I need to write off the remnants of last year’s bottle and just start anew?

It’s been in the garage all winter so heat/cool cycles etc, if that matters at all.

It'll be fine. If it's in a air tight container I think it probably can keep for millennia, but if it's not air tight the volatiles will evaporate and it will get thick and sludgy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cool cool. I’ll probably just use the last 1/3 when I change the oil then. I was always told that you should do an oil change annually or every N months whether the miles are there on the oil or not, so I never really gave it much thought and assumed that there was some additive maybe that had a shelf life.

If anything I might just bring the next jugs inside to sit in my basement under the sink or something.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's the same with brake fluid. An opened brake fluid container with an actual tight lid is good for a long time. Just look at the fluid. If it's clear it's still good.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Martytoof posted:

Cool cool. I’ll probably just use the last 1/3 when I change the oil then. I was always told that you should do an oil change annually or every N months whether the miles are there on the oil or not, so I never really gave it much thought and assumed that there was some additive maybe that had a shelf life.

That advice is because the oil sump on your bike isn't a sealed container, so the oil can go off if it's been in there long enough.

It'll take a while though, if you're not racking up the miles I wouldn't bother changing oil more often than once a year.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What makes the oil sour in the crank case is combustion byproducts, the condensation isn't great but generally burns off when you ride. So the issue is simply time.

What makes brake fluid go off is the fact that it's hydroscopic and actively absorbs water by design. So the issue is atmosphere, if you can keep it sealed it's fine but I don't believe a brake fluid bottle is remotely sealable after you open it. Just makes more sense to buy 500ml bottles one at a time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

What makes the oil sour in the crank case is combustion byproducts, the condensation isn't great but generally burns off when you ride. So the issue is simply time.

What makes brake fluid go off is the fact that it's hydroscopic and actively absorbs water by design. So the issue is atmosphere, if you can keep it sealed it's fine but I don't believe a brake fluid bottle is remotely sealable after you open it. Just makes more sense to buy 500ml bottles one at a time.

There's also heat cycles and mechanical action which breaks down molecules, plus evaporation if it isn't sealed. Diff and gearbox oil also breaks down even if there is no combustion near it.

A brake fluid bottle is perfectly sealable. If you squeeze it and no air comes past, that is the highest pressure gradient it will see until the next time you touch it. It will hardly leak more when it's just sitting still on the shelf.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All I know is I've left 'sealed' brake fluid bottles on the shelf after opening them and sometimes it comes out all milky looking, for $15 I'd rather not take the chance.

I don't believe diff or gearbox oil goes off from age alone, because I've seen loads of cars that haven't had the diff or gearbox oil done in literal decades without any issues. If it does degrade that way, it's on a time scale irrelevant to motorcycles. Shear damage is definitely real though, there is a noticable improvement in how long it takes to get notchy shifting on a Harley if you run fully synthetic modern gl-5 vs just 20w50 or whatever, for example.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

All I know is I've left 'sealed' brake fluid bottles on the shelf after opening them and sometimes it comes out all milky looking, for $15 I'd rather not take the chance.

Well just look at it then, if it's not milky looking, there is no chance to take. I took three years to use a liter of brake fluid, it never changed opacity or color in any detectable way. Brake performance was perfectly fine the whole time. I suppose I never got close to the heat limits of my brake system, perhaps it was 1% degraded and I used 30% of its potential.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

98 Honda CBR 600 F3. Is the fuel reserve switch On at the top and Reserve at the bottom, or Reserve at the top and On at the bottom?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Looking up pictures of the 98 tail fairing, looks like ON is on the bottom. OFF is to the side, and RES is on top.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slide Hammer posted:

Looking up pictures of the 98 tail fairing, looks like ON is on the bottom. OFF is to the side, and RES is on top.

This matches other Hondas I’ve owned.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ah ok. I spent a bit looking for high enough resolution photos of the bike see if I could see it, but it didn't occur to me to look up fairing pictures. Thanks!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

So, I just looked at the Harley manual.

There are 3 oils.

Engine oil.
Transmission oil.
Primary oil.

All 3 have different procedures to replace them.

All 3 are different oils, you can't just use the same big thing of synthetic 20w50.

WTF.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

There are 3 oils.

Engine oil.
Transmission oil.
Primary oil.

All 3 are different oils, you can't just use the same big thing of synthetic 20w50.

WTF.

Well those stress the oil in different ways so using different types of oil is actually better.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
If they used the same oil it would be stupid not to use a shared system.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What, uh.. what does primary oil do that isn’t transmission or engine?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Martytoof posted:

What, uh.. what does primary oil do that isn’t transmission or engine?

The primary drive transfers power from the engine to the transmission and has a chain and a wet clutch. Some customs have an open primary with a belt and dry clutch. It likes to eat pant legs.

e:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh my bad, the primary is the name of an actual part of the bike, not just a vague description. Thanks!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

There are 3 oils.

Engine oil.
Transmission oil.
Primary oil.

WTF.

1. How are you not already aware of this, it's like 50% of what makes a Harley a Harley

2. You literally asked about this earlier and got an answer

3. I have also posted about it before in a general sense

4. You can run 20w50 in all three holes if you're a tremendous cheapskate or in a pinch. Primary and gear oil is like $20/L

5. Again this stuff is like, half the point of having a Harley

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sigh. Yes.

Guess I'll take it to the dealer shortly...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or you spend $20 on a bottle of primary juice, $5 on a set of hex keys and do it yourself in like five minutes.

Literally just drain the oil, take the front cover thing off and dump the litre bottle in there. It is absurd to pay some monkey $100 to do that.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That is a fair point, but I am not doing any of that in the alley behind my house, not only will I gently caress it up and make a mess in the alley, but while my excellent neighbours wouldn't disapprove per se, it's not exactly the sort of thing that's looked upon favourably to do in an alley, particularly in my town.

Once I have a garage of my own, sure.

Until then, the dealership will enjoy hoovering up £££s from me. A service is due in October anyway, if 10,000 miles doesn't come up sooner than that on the odo, which it will. I'll take it in at 10k.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm looking at getting a ratchet crimp tool, and noticing that most of them seem to be the exact same design regardless of brand. Are these actually all the same, or is it one of those things like chain riveters where they use the same design but the cheap ones are really poorly machined and will fall apart halfway through the first job?

This is the specific type I'm seeing:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

That is a fair point, but I am not doing any of that in the alley behind my house, not only will I gently caress it up and make a mess in the alley, but while my excellent neighbours wouldn't disapprove per se, it's not exactly the sort of thing that's looked upon favourably to do in an alley, particularly in my town.

Once I have a garage of my own, sure.

Until then, the dealership will enjoy hoovering up £££s from me. A service is due in October anyway, if 10,000 miles doesn't come up sooner than that on the odo, which it will. I'll take it in at 10k.

Buddy.

Friend.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ah so that's how we achieve oil sustainability. Just put it back in the ground, the oil companies will suck it back up later.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

There are 3 oils.

Engine oil.
Transmission oil.
Primary oil.

WTF.

LMAO. Heritage. Its Heritage!
(shoulda bought a goldwing)

Slavvy posted:

1. How are you not already aware of this, it's like 50% of what makes a Harley a Harley
5. Again this stuff is like, half the point of having a Harley

All bikes have primaries. Every fuckingbody else figured it out that the engine, transmission, and primary reduction system can get packaged together, about 85 years ago. About 20 years ago they figured out they could be packaged on a three-dimensional plane rather than two, making the entire package, lighter, smaller, and more robust.

This is a harley thing that harley is a stick in the mud about, and helps contribute to their "classic (neutron star)feel"

Also that Italian shitheap on the last page sounds loving terrible. Like worse than my beat on 75k-mi bankruptcy era ktm. +1 for loving carbs that work :smuggo:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

cursedshitbox posted:

Also that Italian shitheap on the last page sounds loving terrible. Like worse than my beat on 75k-mi bankruptcy era ktm. +1 for loving carbs that work :smuggo:

It sounds like a dishwasher full of tambourines in that video but I’m not sure how an engine failing to turn over is going to sound appealing. But lol if a carbureted KTM is going to be less maintenance than a modern EFI bike, electrical problem included. The amount of effort it seems to take most posters just to tighten/loosen a single screw properly puts me off ever wanting to deal with a carburetor.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The chain on my gf's bike got really noisy, and coasting with the clutch pulled in there was a sound like there was a specific bad spot, i.e. *sound* nothing nothing nothing *sound*. Taking a look I didn't see anything special and cleaning and lubing fixed it for 90% but I've got some questions:
1. is a symptom of chain wear increased/any lateral play of the rollers on the rivets? Because there's quite some.
2. I can slightly pull the chain off the back of the rear sprocket, which suggest it's worn. However, the chain tension is still fine. Does that make sense?

On my own bikes I've never had to mess with the chain tension either, I always had an o-ring fail before that point...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm looking at getting a ratchet crimp tool, and noticing that most of them seem to be the exact same design regardless of brand. Are these actually all the same, or is it one of those things like chain riveters where they use the same design but the cheap ones are really poorly machined and will fall apart halfway through the first job?

This is the specific type I'm seeing:

They vary greatly in quality and because the dimensions on uninsulated terminals are really fine, you find that some tools work better than others but it depends on the terminals as well. I have both a $120 narva one and a $10 Ali express model and I use them equally often. If you're just getting one, get a decent one.

cursedshitbox posted:

LMAO. Heritage. Its Heritage!
(shoulda bought a goldwing)
All bikes have primaries. Every fuckingbody else figured it out that the engine, transmission, and primary reduction system can get packaged together, about 85 years ago. About 20 years ago they figured out they could be packaged on a three-dimensional plane rather than two, making the entire package, lighter, smaller, and more robust.

This is a harley thing that harley is a stick in the mud about, and helps contribute to their "classic (neutron star)feel"

It isn't about 'figuring it out' it's that having a separate transmission and primary have real value that isn't immediately apparent, especially in drag racing.

Strife posted:

It sounds like a dishwasher full of tambourines in that video but I’m not sure how an engine failing to turn over is going to sound appealing. But lol if a carbureted KTM is going to be less maintenance than a modern EFI bike, electrical problem included. The amount of effort it seems to take most posters just to tighten/loosen a single screw properly puts me off ever wanting to deal with a carburetor.

Yeah this, that Ducati is loving nothing, it's a baby duckling covered in honey compared to the average 690's problems.

Carbs are objectively better if you have basic tools and the means to use them. They are otherwise worse. This is only the case for Japanese bikes and Harleys, the situation varies case by case on weirder stuff.

High Protein posted:

The chain on my gf's bike got really noisy, and coasting with the clutch pulled in there was a sound like there was a specific bad spot, i.e. *sound* nothing nothing nothing *sound*. Taking a look I didn't see anything special and cleaning and lubing fixed it for 90% but I've got some questions:
1. is a symptom of chain wear increased/any lateral play of the rollers on the rivets? Because there's quite some.
2. I can slightly pull the chain off the back of the rear sprocket, which suggest it's worn. However, the chain tension is still fine. Does that make sense?

On my own bikes I've never had to mess with the chain tension either, I always had an o-ring fail before that point...

1 means nothing

2 means rotate the wheel and check for tight spots, you'll likely find the chain isn't the same tension all the way around and you probably need sprockets

Post a pic if in doubt.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I already know the answer and just need confirmation.

I need to adjust my brake lever angle down slightly for comfort but it’s already as “low” as it will go because the brake banjo is hitting the top of the fork. If I crack the nut just enough to let the banjo rotate a little and miss the fork, is that “you now need to bleed your entire front ABS system” territory? If so I’ll just wait to adjust until I’m in the mood to install the steel braided lines I bought.

The front brakes are one thing I have absolutely no intention of half-assing so I’m prepared to hear a full bleed is in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just apply light brake pressure when you crack it, keep the brake pressurized until you've tightened it back up. If you're smooth and fast you can do it in one sweep of the brake lever, as long as you maintain pressure until the banjo's tightened, there's no way of air getting in. You might even bleed some out doing this.