Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

i can tlel the difference but switch being cheap and portable trumps matching other consoles or whatever. i have a pc for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mister Facetious posted:

:lol::lol:

Maybe try putting your Switch in the dock sometime; I never had an issue with it.

i have placed the switch between my rear end cheeks and it is indeed running better thanks op :boonie:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Stux posted:

lol wait it doesnt even run badly?
It runs really well, I only got slowdown when I had all the gun boons that make the bombs shoot 5 times and only in the rooms with tons of enemies

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i get slowdown in basically any room in the second level that has charged up witches that shoot projectiles. i only play handheld though

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Imagined posted:

God drat you guys are like when I visit my grandma and try to get her to stop watching the 480p 4:3 channel stretched out to 16:9 on her 60" 4K TV. "It looks fine I can't even see what you're talking about!" Your low standards / poor eyesight / lack of anything to compare it to are not arguments.

Lmao jesus
"Grandma! You are not enjoying TV optimally!"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i can't believe you gramgram! you can't even see jessica fletcher's individual hair follicles!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean really you can barely see the pattern in matlock's tie!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Let grandmas enjoy things

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I think my phone has the highest resolution screen in my house.

Edit: I barely even use my TV. Which is 1080p.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

OhFunny posted:

I think my phone has the highest resolution screen in my house.

Edit: I barely even use my TV. Which is 1080p.

My friend's iPad Pro became his primary consumption device for petty much the same reason.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I too believe that nintendo should never make their portable consoles more powerful, what a loving stupid thing to suggest, i see no reason to stop playing the gameboy

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rabelais D posted:

I too believe that nintendo should never make their portable consoles more powerful, what a loving stupid thing to suggest, i see no reason to stop playing the gameboy

Do not, my friends, become addicted to graphics and framerates. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
Seriously though I got LA Noire back when it came out, like three years ago? I got to the first foot chase section and just had to give up because the framerate was so low it was making me nauseous.

I don't think Nintendo needs to make a 4K powerhouse console or even a console that runs things at 1080p 60, but it would be nice if you could play a game at a stable 30 fps. The technology very much exists to do this but Nintendo absolutely do cheap out when it comes to their hardware in order to maximise profits.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mister Facetious posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to graphics and framerates. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!
Graphics and frame rate are cool actually. I'm just smart enough to not expect them from a Nintendo console and instead bought an Xbox.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hat in time does have some pretty heinous loading times on switch but it seems to play fine once you're in

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dabir posted:

hat in time does have some pretty heinous loading times on switch but it seems to play fine once you're in

They were kinda poo poo on PC as well so I guess that doesn't surprise me

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

LuckyCat posted:

Goblin Sword is on sale for $1.99 on the US Nintendo store. Knew nothing about it but liked the screenshots so I took a chance and for $1.99 I think it’s a steal. From reading about it, it’s a port of a mobile game but a great one.

I put a gently caress-ton of time into this game, and don't regret it. Thinking back on it now I feel like it scratched the same itch that the old Apogee platformers did back in the day (I'm old). Not revolutionary, but very well done.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

an owls casket posted:

I put a gently caress-ton of time into this game, and don't regret it. Thinking back on it now I feel like it scratched the same itch that the old Apogee platformers did back in the day (I'm old). Not revolutionary, but very well done.
Speaking of which, apparently Apogee is back and has been teasing some stuff with a Switch dev kit lately. Dunno if it's just a vaporware scam like the people who bought the Atari name or what (I think they're officially a publisher), but it would be cool if they were able to port all the old Apogee games to new systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHTbZdV2l8s

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

hatty posted:

Hades runs fine for me but I just play in Handheld. No clue about the Hat game, someone compared it to DK64 so I refuse to partake

Hades lags in handheld, but I mean fine is a relative term

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

American McGay posted:

Speaking of which, apparently Apogee is back and has been teasing some stuff with a Switch dev kit lately. Dunno if it's just a vaporware scam like the people who bought the Atari name or what (I think they're officially a publisher), but it would be cool if they were able to port all the old Apogee games to new systems.

They put out Crystal Caves HD this year and it's lit

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bleck posted:

people say things like "hades runs badly" and what they mean is "if you get the very near maximum amount of particle effect-creating items and then waiting until a screen is full of enemies and then repeatedly spawning as many different effects as the game can possibly handle then the framerate drops and it completely ruins the game"

What I mean is that it runs at an upscaled 720p and after four years I'd gladly buy a new Switch that can play 2d indie games at 1080p.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

What I mean is that it runs at an upscaled 720p and after four years I'd gladly buy a new Switch that can play 2d indie games at 1080p.

Hades uses 3D modeling dude.

https://youtu.be/cYJ6d1ifSqA

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Woooowwww Apogee software, what a blast from the past, Hocus Pocus 2 confirmed

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Came in here to poo poo on Apogee, but when I looked up their pre-3D Realms catalog I realized almost every one of their games kicked rear end.

Except for the Commander Keen games. Three games that forever tainted the word “Apogee” in my mind. And I didn’t even pay for them. The regret over even downloading the shareware was that deep.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I grew up on the Gravis Gamepad demo CD and Apogee and Commander Keen rule.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh wow, I haven't heard the name Apogee in a long time. They have some cool new games in development.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My favorite part of the switch is that it's a console (my switch) and a portable (my switch lite).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
loving insecure weirdos, it's loving video games, not important real world issues like anime.

Give me Switch Prozac rumors.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
My favourite thing about the switch pro is that it’s a lot like my hot girlfriend (doesn’t exist, is not real, a fantasy of my own loser mind)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

My favourite thing about the switch pro is that it’s a lot like my hot girlfriend (doesn’t exist, is not real, a fantasy of my own loser mind)
:yeah:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

How does a game go from AA to AAA

Is it like getting Michelin stars
AAA shrinks the actual gameplay and content, then pads out the visible difference with more grind, pointless busywork and marketing. Hope that helps :)

American McGay posted:

Raptor: Call of the Shadows is arguably still one of the best shoot 'em ups ever made, in large part because it didn't go down the niche bullet hell route.
Now that's a game that could use a simple Switch port.
fake edit: they actually show Raptor during the "Currently in development" footage :aaaaa:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Hades is such a good looking game that I could have sworn that it was realtime 3D when I first played it.

However it very much isn't and everything that looks 3D in the game is pre-rendered, making it about as '3D' as Donkey Kong Country.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rabelais D posted:

but the switch is significantly more powerful than the 3ds. so theyve already done waht you wanted.

everyone inexplicably confused about why u would use a cheaper and easier to make part so the entry point to your portable platform isnt $500 lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its going to owon when the switch pro does actually exist but its just the same chip still with a clock speed bump and only 2 games use it lol

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Bofast posted:

AAA shrinks the actual gameplay and content, then pads out the visible difference with more grind, pointless busywork and marketing. Hope that helps :)

AA -> AAA is basically "increase the marketing budget by an order of magnitude"

Not even sure there's any difference in the game at this point, they all release unfinished at the whim of the board / finance dept. :v:

Stux posted:

its going to owon when the switch pro does actually exist but its just the same chip still with a clock speed bump and only 2 games use it lol

Switch Plus, it's now an 11" tablet and 1kg (2lb), because that's the only way they could get the battery life to support the new screen :negative:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NumptyScrub posted:

Switch Plus, it's now an 11" tablet and 1kg (2lb), because that's the only way they could get the battery life to support the new screen :negative:

work smarter not harder

https://i.imgur.com/mXgLxw6.mp4

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stux posted:

Switch Pro with a clock speed bump and less screen bezel is pretty much what I'd like/expect. Dynamic resolution/LoD to maintain framerate is pretty common for Switch games so "only 2 game use it lol" wouldn't be the case.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:

Stux posted:

but the switch is significantly more powerful than the 3ds. so theyve already done waht you wanted.

everyone inexplicably confused about why u would use a cheaper and easier to make part so the entry point to your portable platform isnt $500 lol

Yes, and you seem to be suggesting that Nintendo just stop making hardware with the OG Switch for some reason?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Framerate chat is dumb as poo poo but I just came in here to say that Hat in Time is a very charming game with some very fun levels (be a detective in a train murder, explore rooftops during a massive parade, survival horror mansion that legitimately creeped me out). It has some issues regarding polish, like the controls sometimes not being quite as responsive as they should be, and I remember having some minor quibbles with the camera, but the game as a whole is just very good.

I mean or it dropped a frame somewhere and so is unplayable I guess. Good luck never having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thank you that's beside the point. I was just clarifying when talking about game performances I'd like the switch to be able to at least run games at 1080p, an already outdated resolution that it was struggling to do at launch and is increasingly becoming an issue for it.