Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

punk rebel ecks posted:

When your party is in firm power for literal decades you'd expect notable progress, or at least to not become even more dependent. Bolivia, Iran, and Ecuador managed to diversify, Venezuela has no excuse.

Clearly not, it took the USSR being destroyed for Cuba to pivot towards tourism, an issue in itself. Differing national conditions mean it's not possible to simply say it was done in one country, therefore it's possible in another. Else why not criticise them for not being able to follow exactly China's reform and opening up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Mexico's subreddit is right-wing as gently caress. Conspiracy theory spreading, talking about "prietos", dismiss arguments with "no sabes hablar ingles" kind of right-wing. It's loving garbage.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
In fairness to the government of Venezuela, diversifying from a resource-extraction based economy is hard. Oil in particular is extremely capital-intensive, and much of they money earned ends up going right back into capital investments like new wells and technology. Of course, this is also one of the places where Chavez went wrong—he divested a lot of money from the PDVSA to fund his social programs, and as a result Venezuelan oil exports were actually falling even before the price of oil collapsed, and this happened while the oil industry was becoming a larger and larger part of Venezuela's economy. So when the collapse came, it hit hard, and locked the country into a downward spiral—because the government needed every dollar of hard currency to stay afloat, but every dollar they weren't investing into the PDVSA was a dollar they wouldn't get tomorrow. (And that's before you get into the absolutely historic graft that was taking place)

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Det_no posted:

Mexico's subreddit is right-wing as gently caress. Conspiracy theory spreading, talking about "prietos", dismiss arguments with "no sabes hablar ingles" kind of right-wing. It's loving garbage.

I spent some time there back during the 2018 election and these guys were in total denial, saying AMLO was going to tank hard. I left to never return after they kept spamming garbage sources to back their position that we were going to turn into Venezuela.

All their arguments boil down to "how dare brown people not like things that will put us into the path of success of becoming like the U.S.A.!"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So right-wing authoritarians are just straight up claiming election fraud every time they lose now (check Netanyahu too). Thanks Trump. Can't wait until the local ones start doing it too.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/08/keiko-fujimori-claims-irregularities-peru-presidential-election-pedro-castillo

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DarkCrawler posted:

So right-wing authoritarians are just straight up claiming election fraud every time they lose now (check Netanyahu too). Thanks Trump. Can't wait until the local ones start doing it too.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/08/keiko-fujimori-claims-irregularities-peru-presidential-election-pedro-castillo

Credit where is due, Bolsonaro did it first, before Trump (he claimed fraud on the election he won)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean why not? There's no negative to it from their perspective. Norms of democratic states don't mean much when you're not actually a democrat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In the US, the ground was laid by people constantly alleging voter fraud as an excuse to pass laws to make voting more difficult before Trump pulled the trigger. Were there similar movements in other countries?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honestly even if Trump didn't allege voter fraud I can't imagine any party that loses to leftists post-Bolivia not trying. At worst the leftists will mock you, at best the OAS will see an opportunity.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/OVargas52/status/1402243267538866181?s=20

Throw her in her father's cell and turn off the lights.

Looks like this is over.

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1402374291518279681?s=20

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 8, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Credit where is due, Bolsonaro did it first, before Trump (he claimed fraud on the election he won)

so did trump in 2016 lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
best wishes to our Peruvian commie from here, then

he is, I gather, something of a socially conservative rear end in a top hat, but so is his dictator scion foe, so this one is very easy and Peru can deal with the complicated contradictions later

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jesus Christ the fascist lady almost won last election too in another nail biter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Peruvian_general_election

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus Christ the fascist lady almost won last election too in another nail biter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Peruvian_general_election

click one arrow to the right to see the previous election!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

i say swears online posted:

click one arrow to the right to see the previous election!

Is she like "Hillary Clinton: Fascism Edition!"?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

he is, I gather, something of a socially conservative rear end in a top hat, but so is his dictator scion foe, so this one is very easy and Peru can deal with the complicated contradictions later

Yeah so Mr. Castle is notably conservative on social matters but the actual rightwingers are almost undoubtedly worse. Like, social reform goes hand in hand with economic reform and Castillo wants economic reform. A bad leader who is a dumbass old man can still have ministers, senators, councilors, etc. who are decent human beings pushing forward for social progress even when the leadership disagrees with it. Hell, sometimes the leadership changes their opinion because their own children talk them out of the boomer mentality. Economic conservatives are almost never interested in social progressivism, even if they insist they do, because redistribution of anything goes against their interests.

It's going to be difficult for them to get much done with congress split 20% five ways though. Best wishes to my Peruvian hermanes, hope y'all can pull this off.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is she like "Hillary Clinton: Fascism Edition!"?

No, Hillary Clinton is Hilary Clinton: Fascism Edition

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Throw her in her father's cell and turn off the lights.

Her father's "cell" is more livable than the average house in some parts of the country. Throw her in one of the mountain prisons she vowed to build last election and make her build one first, brick by brick.

Also, I know most of it is just people talking, but now that Castillo has won (and it's assumed that Keiko knows she has lost and that's why she started crying fraud) I'm starting to hear coupy noises. So far the military has kept its cool, though.

Edit: also, I guess comparing her to Hillary is one of those "explain foreign politics to Americans" thing but come on, it's not even close. Not even if the adrenochrome stuff was real.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 9, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ulvino posted:

Her father's "cell" is more livable than the average house in some parts of the country. Throw her in one of the mountain prisons she vowed to build last election and make her build one first, brick by brick.

Also, I know most of it is just people talking, but now that Castillo has won (and it's assumed that Keiko knows she has lost and that's why she started crying fraud) I'm starting to hear coupy noises. So far the military has kept its cool, though.

It really shows how important MAS getting back into power was. If the Bolivian coup succeeded in the long run then the capitol would have already been stormed.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

It really shows how important MAS getting back into power was. If the Bolivian coup succeeded in the long run then the capitol would have already been stormed.

Yes, yesterday my wife told me she was worried about her friends commenting on the possibility of a coup and normally she would have dismissed it as nonsense but this time she wasn't sure.

I don't think it will happen, not right away anyway. The Peruvian military might be filled with entitled classist bastards but there has been little if any saber rattling.

Their position on the lame rear end parliamentary coup attempt a few months back was surprisingly cautious and gave them some credit with the people, besides I don't think they're willing to risk their privileges for her. Now if the "terrorists are in the government" ball keeps on rolling...

But between the example in Bolivia and the people's response to the attempt a few months back I don't think a coup is brewing yet.

That Castillo manages to stay in power for a year is another story.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd rather push a politician to the left on social issues than economic ones

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
It appears the first group Castillo joined forces with right after the first round was Verónika Mendoza's socially progressive demsocs (who had concentrated much of the left-of-center vote in previous elections) so a softening of his social positions wouldn't be weird, but we'll have to see. AFAIK there's a lot of small socially conservative parties in parliament he'll have to deal with if he expects to have anything done, so it could go either way.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

It appears the first group Castillo joined forces with right after the first round was Verónika Mendoza's socially progressive demsocs (who had concentrated much of the left-of-center vote in previous elections) so a softening of his social positions wouldn't be weird, but we'll have to see. AFAIK there's a lot of small socially conservative parties in parliament he'll have to deal with if he expects to have anything done, so it could go either way.

They did sign an agreement of sorts with JPP (Veronika's party) but it was very broad and generic as in "respect the constitution and basic human rights".

Castillo's campaign for the second round was slow and improvised. Seeing him winning despite that (and the general campaign against him by the right) shows once again how antifujimorism is still the biggest political movement in Peru.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is there a good documentary I can watch about Fujimori's tenure? I searched on YouTube and rolled no dice.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a good documentary I can watch about Fujimori's tenure? I searched on YouTube and rolled no dice.

I remember watching this one on TV some 10 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rAhRfSMj1M&hd=1

I think it's noteworthy and relevant about current events especially because of that part at 1:20:07

:guillotine:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It's interesting to see how differently the count and the claims of fraud by the right have been treated in this election vs the (at least it looked like it would be) far less tight Bolivian elections:

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/peru-leftist-castillo-inches-nearer-win-sharply-divided-election-2021-06-09/

You don't want your fraud claims to be compared to the fraud claims made by the Republicans in the US... Well, at least in a non-chud outlet.

I mean, heck, look at the graph and cogent explanation why certain ballot returns might strongly lean one way or the other.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the left has not been in power in peru and it's hard to argue that it has the kind of institutional heft to engage in more than locallised, scattered ballot stuffing and intimidation

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Munin posted:

It's interesting to see how differently the count and the claims of fraud by the right have been treated in this election vs the (at least it looked like it would be) far less tight Bolivian elections:

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/peru-leftist-castillo-inches-nearer-win-sharply-divided-election-2021-06-09/

You don't want your fraud claims to be compared to the fraud claims made by the Republicans in the US... Well, at least in a non-chud outlet.

I mean, heck, look at the graph and cogent explanation why certain ballot returns might strongly lean one way or the other.

lmao if you think the state department gives a single gently caress if they want to manufacture a consensus for intervention they're pulling out discredited trump era memos about covid being a bioweapon to justify the new cold war

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/FSagasti/status/1402771196937183235
https://twitter.com/FSagasti/status/1402771201567690754

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

What's this about? Fujimoristas ramming through any and all reforms that might help them now that it's becoming painfully clear that Keiko has no chance left, disputed ballots and all? Wouldn't they need a large majority in congress to pass these reforms, which they don't currently have?

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
https://twitter.com/MindefPeru/status/1402667413452251136?s=19

Peruvian Military (or rather, the Defense Ministry) had to make a public statement to confirm they are not planning to march to oust the commies anytime soon.

This was in response to people literally asking for a coup including a "peaceful march" to one of their main Headquarters.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They can push him Left after he is in office.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
We talking about Alberto Fernandez being casually racist? I mean, shouldn't come as a surprise neither for Argentinians nor for people that live in places that believe they're "European", as the other two gauchos here could probably confirm, but still, c'mon, dude.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Dias posted:

We talking about Alberto Fernandez being casually racist? I mean, shouldn't come as a surprise neither for Argentinians nor for people that live in places that believe they're "European", as the other two gauchos here could probably confirm, but still, c'mon, dude.
you're just jealous of my EU passport

i dont have an EU passport

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I think is a mixture of the typical porteño bullshit believing they live in Europe and the country ends at the Greneral Paz avenue, missinterpreting that quote of argentinians descending from boats and plain stupidity.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I hadn’t understood the memes I was seeing but seeing the quote now, and lol, I couldn’t imagine something so stereotypically Argentinian to say

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I'm just confused as to why Uruguay and Argentina have the Incan Sol de Mayo sun symbol in their flag but not Peru.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Argentineans are Spaniards who think they are British while behaving like Italians.

I think I saw that one for the first time in these forums.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Negostrike posted:

I remember watching this one on TV some 10 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rAhRfSMj1M&hd=1

I think it's noteworthy and relevant about current events especially because of that part at 1:20:07

:guillotine:

Pretty insane that he went from being a random family man scientist who lived on a farm to running the country with an iron first less than a year.

Being honest, while I can tell he's a shithead, I can understand why so many people like him. He's literally "nice but firm" neoliberalism personified. Low taxes, kill all the crooks even if there are some civilian casualties (from the poor side), and is willing to do "the right kind of corruption" in order to "get things done". He's basically the your middle aged uncle who says "the government should stay out of my pocket and crush the baddies with force while we eat brunch" and actually achieved it (in their eyes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

no hay camino posted:

I'm just confused as to why Uruguay and Argentina have the Incan Sol de Mayo sun symbol in their flag but not Peru.

Peru had a similar "Sol de Mayo" flag for a brief time after independence but it was ditched because it was confused with the Spanish flag from afar:

In my opinion besides the sun being rather ugly in red, it would have been cool to have the Inti as a recurring motif for South American flags.

It did show again briefly as the flag of South Peru during the Confederation with Bolivia, which looks cooler:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_South_Peru

As a somewhat related trivia, military stars in Peru, as in the ones that show a General or Admiral's rank are also Inti suns.