Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

mediaphage posted:

wonder how many q tshirts he owns
Q is more of a GenX and baby boomer thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Juul-Whip posted:

Q is more of a GenX and baby boomer thing

probably right but i admit i’m not that up on chud generational gaps

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
im glad we went through a week where once again canada needed to remember this country was built on genocide and now everyone is questioning how hate crimes can happen here

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Square Peg posted:

The reason not to post names and pictures of murderous assholes is that the type of people who do poo poo like this want to be infamous, and it encourages other assholes to follow their example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4&t=79s

basically this. don't platform fuckheads, and DEFINITELY don't platform murderous fuckheads. that's how you get more fuckheads.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

im glad we went through a week where once again canada needed to remember this country was built on genocide and now everyone is questioning how hate crimes can happen here

B.b.b.b...but america, those are all american problems, not canadian ones for sure.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

infernal machines posted:

i think it was mentioned in canpol, they caught the shithead in london with a helmet on. was he wearing a gopro or something?

I heard helmet and vest/tactical gear and they caught him at the mall next to a really big mosque that's been targeted before so I assume he was heading there. I didn't hear if he had guns or anything but he drove there after murdering that family so he must have been planning something else.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

As for "coverage" or notoriety or fame or any of that other bullshit, that's the provenance of a mentally deranged person to begin with and they'll never actually know, internalize, understand, or care that their name has been struck from history. By doing it they're already a legend in their own mind and the "right" people will remember them anyway.

it's less about this murderer and more about the next one. when murderers are among the most famous and talked-about people in society, especially online, that's a signal that one way to gain notoriety is to commit a spree killing. the fewer of those signals sent, the better.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
wheres that dumbass who was in the thread last week telling everyone how niqab bans arent racist

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

wheres that dumbass who was in the thread last week telling everyone how niqab bans arent racist

Probably busy writing a post about how french canadians are the victims of more hate crime murders than Muslims

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

e: naaah this isn't the best time to make that particular brand of hay

four people are dead and a kid is orphaned, and after a brief bit of performative shirt-tearing everyone's going to go straight back to where they were before

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

flakeloaf posted:

four people are dead and a kid is orphaned, and after a brief bit of performative shirt-tearing everyone's going to go straight back to where they were before

We've reached Canada's sandy hook everyone!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Muscle Tracer posted:

it's less about this murderer and more about the next one. when murderers are among the most famous and talked-about people in society, especially online, that's a signal that one way to gain notoriety is to commit a spree killing. the fewer of those signals sent, the better.

"Monkey see, monkey do" is not a sufficient rationale for censorship

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I don't want my kids growing up to be murderers and I am very grateful there are no depictions of it on television, fictional or otherwise. I am a well adjusted person, here's my worldview. Take it. I insist.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/08/06/748767807/mass-shootings-can-be-contagious-research-shows

quote:

Towers and her colleagues also found that what set apart shootings that were contagious was the amount of media coverage they received. "In the incidences where there were four or more people killed, and even school shootings, those tended to get national and even international media attention," says Towers.

She also found that there is a window when a shooting is most likely to lead to more incidents — about two weeks. Towers and her team published their results in 2015.

It's a form of social contagion, says Peterson, somewhat like a suicide contagion — that's when a high-profile suicide leads to more people to take their own lives. For example, following the suicide of actor Robin Williams, researchers documented a 10% spike in suicides in the months following his death. Vulnerable individuals who are already struggling with suicidal thoughts read or watched news reports of the actor's death and then took their own lives.

Mass shooting contagion is similar, she says.

Peterson has interviewed living mass shooters in prison and people who knew such perpetrators and has found that these individuals often start out feeling suicidal.

"We can show about 80 percent were actively suicidal prior to the shooting," she says.

monkey on the edge gets a push, monkey on the edge falls

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

telling me the consequences of media's actions is censorship!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Imagine four monkeys on the edge of a cliff.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Crime works the same way

Censorship is the state telling the media "you shall not talk about this topic and if you do we will punish you"; that's not what's happening here. Responsible journalism is the media and the audience agreeing not to signal-boost a fuckhead

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

where are you getting censorship from, doofus. we're talking about what's ethical to do, not what the state should imprison people for doing lol

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

flakeloaf posted:

Hell, 215 kids were found buried unmarked and we are trying to go back to where we were before.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Muscle Tracer posted:

where are you getting censorship from, doofus. we're talking about what's ethical to do, not what the state should imprison people for doing lol

People are posting about platforming and signal boosting as if we can just cancel murder out of existence which is extremely lol

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Should the names and faces of the residential school perpetrators be shared or are we worried about them getting too many Likes/Follows

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

People are posting about platforming and signal boosting as if we can just cancel murder out of existence which is extremely lol

I think people are talking about that with regards to the fucker in London where it makes a lot more sense, not deplatforming the Pope or something

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Should the names and faces of the residential school perpetrators be shared or are we worried about them getting too many Likes/Follows

i support cancelling john a mcdonald. just memory hole him from all the history books. canada wasn't even founded, it doesnt even exist. lets just forget about all of it

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

we only do this “don’t give them fame” when it’s white people. any poc gets their pic up without the same concern

this is white supremacy circling the wagons and terminally lib brained people buying the lie

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Rutibex posted:

i support cancelling john a mcdonald. just memory hole him from all the history books. canada wasn't even founded, it doesnt even exist. lets just forget about all of it

I learned that John A mcdouble also was the first president of the company I work for. Lmao been here for almost 5 years and didn't find out until last week. Pretty sure that's something they've been trying to hide.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

we only do this “don’t give them fame” when it’s white people. any poc gets their pic up without the same concern

this is white supremacy circling the wagons and terminally lib brained people buying the lie

racists will jump at any chance they get to add dark-skinned faces to their copy of DIVERSITY_IS_STRENGTH.png and we shouldn't be supporting that either

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It might be helpful to know the kinds of people who do racist murdering poo poo for profiling purposes? For example everyone itt knows that someone who's big into Runic/Norse iconography is 100% a Nazi but it's helpful for ordinary people to understand those patterns by being exposed to them in relation to the crimes that are committed. Most sane people will say "wow, I don't want to be like that guy, or associate with anyone like them"

And it's not like the racist community isn't going to do some "his name is Robert Paulson" bullshit in the face of some misguided erasure from the media. The main point is concealing their face/identity/motive etc. is unhelpful other than assuaging people's baseless paranoia about copycats. You're not fighting racism or violence by doing that

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I think I'll take the peer reviewed study as the right course of action over the something awful forums poster who thinks asking "can people please stop posting a person's face on front page news" is censorship.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if all it takes for a spree of copycat murders to happen is people hearing about a previous murder than maybe we have some serious work to do on our society in general

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It might be helpful to know the kinds of people who do racist murdering poo poo for profiling purposes? For example everyone itt knows that someone who's big into Runic/Norse iconography is 100% a Nazi but it's helpful for ordinary people to understand those patterns by being exposed to them in relation to the crimes that are committed. Most sane people will say "wow, I don't want to be like that guy, or associate with anyone like them"t

Now this I can grab onto. I know a lot of "ordinary people" who can't even recognize what I thought were common racial slurs or hostile symbols, much less connect them with their target group or infer things about the person using them.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The main point is concealing their face/identity/motive etc. is unhelpful other than assuaging people's baseless paranoia about copycats.

The researchers who drew the connection to it upthread didn't seem to think it was baseless, but I'm not sure where the line is between "mentally unstable person waiting for a sign of literally anything to go off" and "report of a hate crime inspires hateful, suicidal man to just get on with his part of the helter skelter"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Rutibex posted:

if all it takes for a spree of copycat murders to happen is people hearing about a previous murder than maybe we have some serious work to do on our society in general

Absolutely yes, "western culture" is incredibly hosed up. But since nobody is willing or able to make the changes needed to prevent violent hate-crimes, we can at least make baby steps and hopefully reduce harm.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I think I'll take the peer reviewed study as the right course of action over the something awful forums poster who thinks asking "can people please stop posting a person's face on front page news" is censorship.

Seriously. I can't believe anyone is arguing the opposite.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It might be helpful to know the kinds of people who do racist murdering poo poo for profiling purposes? For example everyone itt knows that someone who's big into Runic/Norse iconography is 100% a Nazi but it's helpful for ordinary people to understand those patterns by being exposed to them in relation to the crimes that are committed. Most sane people will say "wow, I don't want to be like that guy, or associate with anyone like them"

This can done without blasting the murderer's name and face all over national news for a week straight

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

how can you not support bringing all news under state control after their antics during the pandemic? they’ve spent the last 6 months drumming up vaccine hesitancy to try to keep the story going. sorry but you’ve lost your broadcasting privileges. just be glad we don’t send you directly to gulag

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Fashionable Jorts posted:

the something awful forums poster who thinks asking "can people please stop posting a person's face on front page news" is censorship.

Repeatedly and vehemently calling for a specific course of action with a clearly defined path of how it can become reality but if you disagree then 'hey we're just spitballin here don't get so worked up lol'

I wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt to any poster who wants to limit the transmission of information because they're undoubtedly a lovely judge of what is and isn't suitable for public consumption

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Juul-Whip posted:

how can you not support bringing all news under state control after their antics during the pandemic? they’ve spent the last 6 months drumming up vaccine hesitancy to try to keep the story going. sorry but you’ve lost your broadcasting privileges. just be glad we don’t send you directly to gulag

b-b-b-but the quebecois!

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Repeatedly and vehemently calling for a specific course of action with a clearly defined path of how it can become reality but if you disagree then 'hey we're just spitballin here don't get so worked up lol'

I wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt to any poster who wants to limit the transmission of information because they're undoubtedly a lovely judge of what is and isn't suitable for public consumption

I feel like you maybe need to go back and reread the last couple pages of the thread.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i think it was mentioned in canpol, they caught the shithead in london with a helmet on. was he wearing a gopro or something?

he was wearing a vest that appeared to be like body armor, according to the cops

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It's limiting the glorification of the assailant, which is a proven way to discourage copycat murders, in the interest of public safety.

Christ. The Parkland shooter was a 19 year old who killed 17 classmates, surpassing the Columbine massacre. He received global attention, and eventually received a poo poo ton of fan mail from teenage girls all over the world. Who wants to encourage that kind of disgusting poo poo.

mom and dad fight a lot has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

lol what?

so you think those websites that track the crimes of trans and jewish people are cool and good, because "transmission of information" should always be done, no matter what?

Every morning we should all wake up and turn on our tvs and see a stream of every single mugshot of every single crime that happens in Canada, anything less than that is literally censorship. Hell, we should send pamphlets out in the mail, since a lot of people don't watch the tv anymore. Maybe we could use the emergency broadcast system on our phones to send everyone a text alert with criminal names, hopefully they can update the system to include pictures too.

When the families of victims ask to not have information posted in the papers? Censorship.

Anonymizing underage criminals? Censorship.