Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

Dallas had a good offense

the warriors had a bad offense

Luka and Steph were the players most responsible for offense on their respective teams

is that clear enough

and yet they're both very good players offensively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

and yet they're both very good players offensively

how do you figure? I get Luka but where is the evidence Steph was good at offense this year

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

how do you figure? I get Luka but where is the evidence Steph was good at offense this year

look back a couple of pages

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

so you are relying on plus minus ??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steph Curry plus minus the past two years

rosy Gobert for comparisons sake

edit

Giannis

edit edit
KL

euphronius fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 7, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

in his defense, Cleveland

it boggles my mind that the cleveland fanbase can't be happy for him in the way that minnesota fans are happy KG went and won a championship in boston. like, that organization was a rolling tire fire when they drafted lebron, they proceeded to surround him with absolute mediocrity, he pulled them to the finals in a way that i've never personally seen any player pull a bad team to the vicinity of a championship, then left because it was clear that the tire fire was only gonna get hotter the longer he stayed. he left and won his championship, then loving came back and got the city the only championship they have ever gotten, then left again because he saw that it was no less of a tire fire than it was when he left years before and he wants to win more.

this legit isn't meant to be a defense of lebron, i mean to point out just how lovely cleveland is and no wonder free agents don't sign there. holy poo poo that is just a garbage fanbase that doesn't loving buy heat and lakers jerseys and wear them to the games to remind the organization every game just how hosed up they are holy poo poo

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
it is really cool how steph curry took his team to the proper 8 seed/play in tournament

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

as I said he’s MVP of the lottery for sure

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

as I said he’s MVP of the lottery for sure

And as i said, 24 wins

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

Azathoth posted:

it boggles my mind that the cleveland fanbase can't be happy for him in the way that minnesota fans are happy KG went and won a championship in boston. like, that organization was a rolling tire fire when they drafted lebron, they proceeded to surround him with absolute mediocrity, he pulled them to the finals in a way that i've never personally seen any player pull a bad team to the vicinity of a championship, then left because it was clear that the tire fire was only gonna get hotter the longer he stayed. he left and won his championship, then loving came back and got the city the only championship they have ever gotten, then left again because he saw that it was no less of a tire fire than it was when he left years before and he wants to win more.

this legit isn't meant to be a defense of lebron, i mean to point out just how lovely cleveland is and no wonder free agents don't sign there. holy poo poo that is just a garbage fanbase that doesn't loving buy heat and lakers jerseys and wear them to the games to remind the organization every game just how hosed up they are holy poo poo

lmao, no one in Cleveland hates lebron, he's a literal hero here

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

Steph Curry plus minus the past two years

rosy Gobert for comparisons sake

edit

Giannis

edit edit
KL

wait what plus minus numbers are you even using lmao

curry's plus-minus this year was +8.6 per basketball reference. you have to look at the "difference" section not the "on court" one https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01/on-off/2021

and you used his 2020 on court numbers which were from a sample of his five 2020 games

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

curry in 2019 with a full season: warriors outscore opponents by 13 with him on the court vs. -3 off. +16.2 total.

compare that to the "difference" of gobert, greek freak, and leonard being on and off the court. greek makes almost no difference by comparison. gobert and leonard hold up pretty well though

they have adjusted plus minus status like BPM on basketball reference and others for 538 and espn to translate them to "league average teams" since the bucks have the best all around team backing up greek freak out of those players, so the stats underrate him since they're good with him in or out of lineups

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
it would appear curry is the goat of this season, back to to you, posters

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

I genuinely can't tell if you just don't "believe" in the generally accepted statistics or if you just straight up refuse to look at stats that don't confirm your priors or if you're just trolling

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Judakel posted:

it would appear curry is the goat of this season, back to to you, posters

goat curry is delicious in any season

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

You all seem confused, even the progenitor of Basketball New Science. This is fine, even the Immortal Science needed Lenin and Mao to refine it.

Let us quote Nietzsche:

Nietzsche posted:

My idea is that every specific body strives to become master over all space and to extend its force (its will to power) and to thrust back all that resists its extension. But it continually encounters similar efforts on the part of other bodies and ends by coming to an arrangement ("union") with those of them that are sufficiently related to it: thus they then conspire together for power. And the process goes on

Explained thus, let us extent the will to power to Steph Curry.

Mr Curry is a truly transcendental scorer by the stats. His "True Shooting" (a naive name for an abstracted mathematical concept) is equivalent or better to those of the "dip-n-dunk" shooters of DeAndre Jordan and Rudy Gobert, but he shoots from far and with volume. This is true. However, does he extend the force of his scoring power AGAINST all which resists his extension (the opposing team, his lesser skilled teammates)? The answer is NO - resoundingly. He is unable to create union with his colleagues and allies, and unable to extend his power to DOMINATE the opposing team (play-in fake playoffs, QED)

LUKA is of course the antithesis to Mr Curry, as he can extend his power to his allies and enemies - see his ability to elevate Tim Hardaway, Jr, a player so secondary that he cannot even be the first of his name. He his, however, unable to extend that power to DOMINATE his opponents into submission (a truly strong individual can exert their will to improve the whole team's defense, see the +/- posts if you need math and numbers for your STEM brain).

Both SCORE, Mr Curry at higher rates and better efficiency, but one FORMS A UNION (no need to define why this is good) with his teammates, and NEITHER can truly extend their will to power to DOMINATE and subsume their foes (no ring this year)

Hope this helps and we can get back to focusing on the phenomenology of The Look

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Telluric Whistler posted:

You all seem confused, even the progenitor of Basketball New Science. This is fine, even the Immortal Science needed Lenin and Mao to refine it.

Let us quote Nietzsche:

Mr Curry is a truly transcendental scorer by the stats. His "True Shooting" (a naive name for an abstracted mathematical concept) is equivalent or better to those of the "dip-n-dunk" shooters of DeAndre Jordan and Rudy Gobert, but he shoots from far and with volume. This is true. However, does he extend the force of his scoring power AGAINST all which resists his extension (the opposing team, his lesser skilled teammates)? The answer is NO - resoundingly. He is unable to create union with his colleagues and allies, and unable to extend his power to DOMINATE the opposing team (play-in fake playoffs, QED)

LUKA is of course the antithesis to Mr Curry, as he can extend his power to his allies and enemies - see his ability to elevate Tim Hardaway, Jr, a player so secondary that he cannot even be the first of his name. He his, however, unable to extend that power to DOMINATE his opponents into submission (a truly strong individual can exert their will to improve the whole team's defense, see the +/- posts if you need math and numbers for your STEM brain).

Both SCORE, Mr Curry at higher rates and better efficiency, but one FORMS A UNION (no need to define why this is good) with his teammates, and NEITHER can truly extend their will to power to DOMINATE and subsume their foes (no ring this year)

Hope this helps and we can get back to focusing on the phenomenology of The Look

Sorry, I can understand unless you explain this using Hegelian dialectics.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Let us quote Nietzsche:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Saw this on reddit and now I'm a huge Nets guy

Love da Nets

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Love da Nets

Ok same

Kyrie is my favorite player because Boston fans hate him

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Love da Nets

Jesus Christ

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bucks are still playing. we are in hell world. We need a new front office christ

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Judakel posted:

it is really cool how steph curry took his team to the proper 8 seed/play in tournament

Same but T.J. McConnell.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
lol bucks
guess I can go to bed on time tonight

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I only pay attention to basketball in the playoffs

What in the unholy gently caress happened in the offseason?

Why was this even allowed?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

They traded their entire frontcourt for Harden, then got Blake cheap in the middle of the season when the Pistons bought him out of his contract.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

to be fair the masterclass of dogging it and playing badly on purpose that Blake was running In Detroit was actually hard to catch because of his injuries and he was pretty convincingly washed

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Love da Nets

100% this post cursed the Bucks cuz they're playing like God hates them

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

durant is essentially a poster and has fun trolling

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

The raptors won a title wtf?

the true power of Friendship Ball revealed

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

to be fair boston helped them by trading kyrie.

i thought the bucks had a shot but jesus christ they're getting stomped with harden out

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

the true power of Friendship Ball revealed

more like Fredship ball

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Dreylad posted:

masai ujiri is the greatest toronto raptor of all time

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

curry's plus-minus this year was +8.6 per basketball reference. you have to look at the "difference" section not the "on court" one https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01/on-off/2021

and you used his 2020 on court numbers which were from a sample of his five 2020 games

euphronius stats are beyond time and space

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Dreylad posted:

to be fair boston helped them by trading kyrie.

i thought the bucks had a shot but jesus christ they're getting stomped with harden out

kyrie was a free agent

do you mean Houston and harden?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Squinky v2.0 posted:

kyrie was a free agent

do you mean Houston and harden?

no I completely forgot and thought they had traded kyrie, whoops

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

He was a +4 on court this season (last season). Those numbers are bunk tho I dont use them. I only brought them up because other people did. Plus minus is fimrly a Steph Curry Brain Disease stat.

Do you know what number inst bunk? ORTG. its especially good for determining who is good on offense.

Steph curry only had a 119 orating. Christ paul was 124. That is 5 points better. (christ paul is a better offensive player.). Jokic was 130.

STEPH CURRY WAS NOT IN THE TOP 20 FOR ORTG

Hes a fine role player. Hes is not good at leading your team. Your team will have a bad offense if Curry leads it. FACT. you can't deny this

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Win shares are stupid you can't share a win! That's like downloading a car. Illegal and immoral

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Win shares are stupid you can't share a win! That's like downloading a car. Illegal and immoral

the "win share" stat that is fake and used by old people and ESPN is fake and dumb yes.

We could have a better share of wins stat. How about this, The amount of wins that Steph curry had a share in was 39. which was good for (checks standings) the lottery. MVP of the lottery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

new win share stat: the number of games you play in that your team wins.

New new stat: net wins. The number of games you play in that your team wins - the number of games your team loses.

Steph Curry would be a .... plus 5 net win shares.

Rudy gobert would be plus 32.

But lets compare Curry to a point guard to be fair. Christ paul is net plus 30 win shares. Jokic was net plus 22.