Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

Most if not all of it. No documentation of systems or networks, no positive control over legacy systems, no Change Management, and no true Security plan.

Been doing Infosec for 9 years and systems Engineering for 15. Its bad pretty much universally.

My latest job is government adjacent, and its the worst I have ever seen. Its like the standards are 20 years old and no one cares about advancements that aren't reactionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

RFC2324 posted:

My latest job is government adjacent, and its the worst I have ever seen. Its like the standards are 20 years old and no one cares about advancements that aren't reactionary

I thought I was alone...

The current job is with the Gov't. Never again. I've watched people struggle to copy/paste. So much so, someone else made a guide on how to copy/paste.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Quick question about that ProPublica article. They mention that the ultrawealthy finance their lifestyles by borrowing money against their vast investments to avoid realizing capital gains or making a taxable salary. But eventually doesn't the bank get the money back somehow? Does the bank just take it from the estate when they die?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Quick question about that ProPublica article. They mention that the ultrawealthy finance their lifestyles by borrowing money against their vast investments to avoid realizing capital gains or making a taxable salary. But eventually doesn't the bank get the money back somehow? Does the bank just take it from the estate when they die?

Generally speaking, the cost basis of investments are reset when inherited. Estate taxes have a pile of other loopholes as well that mean that people willing to plan for them don't pay much.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ASAPI posted:

I thought I was alone...

The current job is with the Gov't. Never again. I've watched people struggle to copy/paste. So much so, someone else made a guide on how to copy/paste.

Here's the thing tho: my clients seem quick to jump on my suggestions of updating poo poo, and I get pushback from our management. Had a compromised webserver that I cleaned, but it immediately got re-compromised because they didn't patch as suggested. I suggested they pay us a bunch of money for a new, clean, server and got pushback from my director about how we need to find out why they keep getting compromised... Its because they don't patch, because we aren't proactively telling them poo poo needs fixed

It seems like the people on the tech side are the ones afraid to upgrade, not the actual management types in government itself.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
The tech guys get fired for outages caused by patching. The management guys get lauded for surviving a breach. Zero surprise with those incentives.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tiny posted:

The tech guys get fired for outages caused by patching. The management guys get lauded for surviving a breach. Zero surprise with those incentives.

Hahaha I got yelled at last night by a client noc because we didn't tell them about a remediation reboot that their bosses had scheduled

It was fun

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
This is neat
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1402297086234726402?s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

I thought I was alone...

Imagine having a job where you couldn’t leap ahead of 90% of your coworkers by merely knowing basic keyboard shortcuts

Sounds stressful imo

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Love living in this country where clean water isn't a right for people
https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1402308297861087236?s=19

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

RFC2324 posted:

Here's the thing tho: my clients seem quick to jump on my suggestions of updating poo poo, and I get pushback from our management. Had a compromised webserver that I cleaned, but it immediately got re-compromised because they didn't patch as suggested. I suggested they pay us a bunch of money for a new, clean, server and got pushback from my director about how we need to find out why they keep getting compromised... Its because they don't patch, because we aren't proactively telling them poo poo needs fixed

It seems like the people on the tech side are the ones afraid to upgrade, not the actual management types in government itself.

Huh, my mileage is different.

We have people that are quick to embrace the terms (latest is DevSecOps), but don't actually do anything related to the idea. So I get a bunch of systems that had their names changed to fit the "new hotness" and system owners that don't even know what their systems/products do.

This federal department is full of worker bees that are just counting days until retirement, complacent in their ability to not get fired.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Can't wait till clean water is a commodity like Hershey's CEO wants it to be.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CommieGIR posted:

Can't wait till clean water is a commodity...

That ship has already sailed.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gender reveal parties appear to be a multinational scourge.

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1402332108983615488

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Of all the places not to gently caress around with fire poo poo...isnt that had a state of emergency evac from fires like 4 years back?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, Fort Mac literally burned to the ground in May 2016. The wildfire that caused it continued to smolder for over a year straight despite being "under control" that July.

e: Literally one month before the fire, the Alberta government cut funding to wildfire suppression, too.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Alberta is basically cold Texas so that tracks

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ASAPI posted:

I thought I was alone...

..... how I feel after reading this and finding out I'm far above the median in computer literacy

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

It gets worse.

https://meetarray.com/2018/03/20/website-design-not-for-average-computer-user/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That could be any country before all is said and done

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That is depressing

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Naramyth posted:

Alberta is basically cold Texas so that tracks

People from Alberta get so loving mad whenever you say that to them, it's pretty funny.

Source: Family is from Alberta, all of us agree with that statement.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

People from Alberta get so loving mad whenever you say that to them, it's pretty funny.

Source: Family is from Alberta, all of us agree with that statement.

The only thing I know about Alberta is they sell beef. So yea, sounds about the same as texas.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Letterkenny is a documentary, I guess?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

CainFortea posted:

The only thing I know about Alberta is they sell beef. So yea, sounds about the same as texas.

Beef, lovely oil, and two flavors of hockey.

I’ve been up there for work several times and it’s literally Trump country

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There are types of hockey?

I mean, I guess beyond field and ice

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Street hockey. Don't deny the 80s/90s children their balls and rollerblades.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes, eventually that money has to be paid, but they essentially are able to keep both the assets that they use to finance themselves (their equity in whatever company they own) as well as the money they receive from the bank, for further investment. They can then time when they will liquidate their assets to pay back their creditors when it is advantageous to do so. It's definitely a huge advantage that helps them avoid paying their fair share.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yes, eventually that money has to be paid, but they essentially are able to keep both the assets that they use to finance themselves (their equity in whatever company they own) as well as the money they receive from the bank, for further investment. They can then time when they will liquidate their assets to pay back their creditors when it is advantageous to do so. It's definitely a huge advantage that helps them avoid paying their fair share.

Yeah in reality it's tax evasion, with more steps.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Letterkenny is a documentary, I guess?

Well that's in Ontario but yeah, it tracks.

CainFortea posted:

Well that and oil/tar sands. And the stampede. gently caress, it really is Canadian Texas and lol at anyone getting mad and suggesting otherwise.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah in reality it's tax evasion, with more steps.

It's enough steps that it's "tax avoidance" because why wouldn't we enable the ultra rich to pay less than everyone else? This is America!!!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The timing of the loans part is really key. Donald Trump did this. Live off those loans and when you have a business year where you spend a lot on upgrades or have a contraction because 'lol there's a loving global pandemic' then you use that write off to counterbalance what you would have had to pay since you have the flexibility to do whatever, whenever benefits you the most. This is one more way things are rigged because normal people don't get to do that kind of timing. It's all a giant shell game of bullshit and money and we're not invited.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the irony is that around 8 digits of wealth you own virtually nothing physical. its all in various holding companies and trusts that are of course controlled by you. its at that point that the real tax avoidance and evasion begins and worst case, decades down the line, you might just pay a fraction of it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pixels are pixels.

The government arresting a person based on a CCTV picture is a thing.

Pixels are pixels.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the irony is that around 8 digits of wealth you own virtually nothing physical. its all in various holding companies and trusts that are of course controlled by you. its at that point that the real tax avoidance and evasion begins and worst case, decades down the line, you might just pay a fraction of it.

As Chris Rock said: "You can't get rid of wealth. Rich is some poo poo you can lose with a crazy summer and a drug habit."

Billionaires are "too big to be allowed to fail" because their mere existence represents "endgame" capitalism. Everyone's just *one great idea* away from *their* ship coming in!* :shepface:

Trump is proof of this. He was flat broke in the 90s, but billionaires can't go broke because there's too much invested in the illusion! Well, that and lucrative leveraging of their already over-leveraged assets. Oh, and campaign contributions. Can't forget those.

* odds of your "ship" coming in largely contingent on how rich your parent(s) were, guarantee void in all fifty states and all protectorates, purchase most certainly required for entry.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 9, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/efrostee/status/1401952522319843329

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Trump is proof of this. He was flat broke in the 90s, but billionaires can't go broke because there's too much invested in the illusion! Well, that and lucrative leveraging of their already over-leveraged assets. Oh, and campaign contributions. Can't forget those.

To be fair, he is probably still mostly flat broke and buried in debt he owes to very shady characters.

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011
Oh hey , thanks to some aussies , the entirety of Finnish criminal underworld was arrested en masse.
Judging by the nice big number the authorities probably arrested some petty thieves on the side in order to make it a 3 digit number.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/trojan_shield_finnish_police_arrest_100_in_international_bust/11970996

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1402628969086783489?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

.....god drat it.