Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Manischewitz is not bottom shelf material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I assume you mean it should be way up high so nobody can see or reach it and therefore spared from it?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

I assume you mean it should be way up high so nobody can see or reach it and therefore spared from it?

The Something Awful forums have a zero-tolerance policy for antisemitism.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Keep it on the bottom shelf and maybe good wine might trickle down on it.

quote:

Where is the tobacco?

Next aisle over, with the ammunition and corkscrews.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

And bibles.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

The Something Awful forums have a zero-tolerance policy for antisemitism.

Allow me clarify that no ill will is intended to anyone but the taste of Manishevitz itself and my intent is to promote Kedem at worst and ideally Bartenura or Joyvin instead.

E:

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 8, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

trucutru posted:

Where are the bibles?

E- wtf where did these other posts come from

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/trevorcumbo/status/1402346517458046985

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

"the minorities"

https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/1402343047082528778

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I would put economics professors in that “not worth $15 an hour” class too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Who the gently caress asks the creator of the Laffer Curve about anything to do with economics?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I suspect it's not unique to America, but I've always found it offputting how many older Americans would rather smirk about young people not knowing a skill required for "manliness" as opposed to feeling guilty about their failure to teach it to the youth.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Who the gently caress asks the creator of the Laffer Curve about anything to do with economics?

I mean it's Fox News so Opposite Of Reality is like their bread and butter

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

I suspect it's not unique to America, but I've always found it offputting how many older Americans would rather smirk about young people not knowing a skill required for "manliness" as opposed to feeling guilty about their failure to teach it to the youth.

Old Americans also don't know how to drive stick either so :shrug:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/TeddyRedder/status/1402425564951191552?s=20

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Laffer and his curve literally only exist for this purpose.

Any decent economist on a conservative show is just going to go off about nearly anything they talk about because conservative economics is based on nothing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1402388019420741633

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Laffer and his curve literally only exist for this purpose.

Any decent economist on a conservative show is just going to go off about nearly anything they talk about because conservative economics is based on nothing.

any decent economist on a conservative show will be weird and awkward and alien because that’s how economists are

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I'm not sure if it came up in this thread or another, but the mathematics/economic theory behind the Laffer curve is solid. The abuse of it by conservative politicians lies in where they place the inflection point where marginal gains from tax increases become negative. The true inflection point is nowhere near where a lot conservative economists claim., but the underlying idea (that increasing tax rates do not linearly increase tax revenue, and that at some point tax increases may actually result in negative marginal returns above a certain point) is well-founded. It's just another example of conservatives abusing statistics/economic theory for self-serving gain, especially when they conflate decreasing marginal returns with decreasing returns in an absolute sense.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

sugar free jazz posted:

any decent economist on a conservative show will be weird and awkward and alien because that’s how economists are

I know the kind of weird/awkward/alien you're trying to describe, but I had a fun mental picture of an economist coming on and being sort of whimsical and fairylike, whispering hidden truths about the economy while offering suspicious deals backed by economic magic.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Eric Cantonese posted:

poo poo like this always cracks me up. Who bought the automatic transmission cars we learned to drive in? Who was handing out the participation trophies at youth soccer tournaments? If we are inept and fragile it's because we were raised that way.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I'm not sure if it came up in this thread or another, but the mathematics/economic theory behind the Laffer curve is solid. The abuse of it by conservative politicians lies in where they place the inflection point where marginal gains from tax increases become negative. The true inflection point is nowhere near where a lot conservative economists claim., but the underlying idea (that increasing tax rates do not linearly increase tax revenue, and that at some point tax increases may actually result in negative marginal returns above a certain point) is well-founded. It's just another example of conservatives abusing statistics/economic theory for self-serving gain, especially when they conflate decreasing marginal returns with decreasing returns in an absolute sense.

Nah, it's fundamentally garbage at a deeper level because it relies on the "Homo economicus" model of the rational actor, and assumes that the only reason anybody does anything is for financial gain and personal profit.

Of course that's a problem with classical economics as a whole, but that's a much larger conversation.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I'm not sure if it came up in this thread or another, but the mathematics/economic theory behind the Laffer curve is solid.

No.

The start and end of the curve (0 and 100%) are maybe correct an everything else is garbage and Laffer exists to provide a fig leaf for reducing taxes on the rich.

This is also probably not the thread to talk about it.

Feel free to come post in US News or whatever because we haven't had a good econ discussion in a bit

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

We seriously debating whether or not a fox news economist is completely full of poo poo and blatantly lying to benefit the rich? Like, I'm big on benefit of the doubt but holy hell, this one isn't exactly hard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I read that as Black Lives Matter at first and was even more confused than I should have been

Antifa Super Soldiers indeed

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I saw the first word as OBITS and got a little excited there for a moment.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I saw the first word as OBITS and got a little excited there for a moment.
:same:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Cocaine Bear posted:

We seriously debating whether or not a fox news economist is completely full of poo poo and blatantly lying to benefit the rich? Like, I'm big on benefit of the doubt but holy hell, this one isn't exactly hard.

No we're not seriously debating that.

One person said that and never replied further.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1402757082395381761

Oh nooooo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/gaijingirl2004/status/1402572122237571076?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everybody probably knows about the whole Death in the Family/Jason Todd hotline deal, where the fate of the post Dick Grayson Robin was left in the hands of you, the readers!, and they voted to let Joker beat him to death with a crowbar. It's one of the most famous weird comics facts and tons of people who have never read a comic irl still know about it.

What people don't know is that this "very serious" four issue arc in 1989, that is always on any "most important comics events" clickbait lists, occurs in the mideast, as Batman is in pursuit of Joker who was "near the border of Israel" to

Sell missiles to Hezbollah!

A few issues later, Joker is accosted by Iranian intelligence agents in Ethiopia, who take him for a secret audience with

Ayatollah Khomeni! And what job would befit a man of the Joker's talents?

He ends up trying to gas the General Assembly so Batman can arrest him. Oh well. Thanks for the embarassing geopolitical intrigue, DC Comics. It's even more ridiculous in context, where you have these pages of melodramatic Batman just excoriating himself over letting Jason die and struggling with if he can maintain his code and dedication to justice and the next page, well here's the Joker in a pink keffiyeh

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

First Trump, then Netanyahu and Fujimoro, and now this motherfucker preemptively:

https://twitter.com/Wolfrum/status/1402715893608632332

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

that's a very inaccurate tweet. that episode also included the planeteers solving ethnic and religious conflicts in palestine and south africa

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Well obviously, they're a crazy diverse group from every continent, Asia, North America, Africa, South America, and the Soviet Union. How could they fail?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Being forced to drink Mogen David kept me from wine of any sort for years. Bitter herb now on the other hand…

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/tv/tracked-down-writer-captain-planet-19071854

quote:

Doug says that he'd had the idea of exploring a storyline about sectarianism and nuclear warfare.

"I was proud of the show, but in what we thought would be our final season, I really wanted us to do one story about sectarian strife and nuclear terrorism – which I saw (and still see) as at least as big a threat as pollution.

"I pitched it as taking place in the West Bank. I wanted kids who might watch the show in the Middle East to realize that the Palestinians and the Israelis both thought of themselves as completely in the right.

"The producers refused that; they said we would be seen as picking on the Mideast, so we compromised by adding South Africa and Northern Ireland. As it turned out, I think that just made three times as many people mad at us!"

lol you don't say

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

No we're not seriously debating that.

One person said that and never replied further.

Not sure if this is me or not, but I was not trying to imply that the news segment was correct. I specified twice that conservative economists and their supporters often deceptively use the economics concept of the Laffer curve to disingenuously argue for tax cuts, but that did not necessarily make the general concept of the curve invalid. However, seeing as it is almost exclusively used in this context (to argue for regressive tax cuts) in popular economics discourse (as opposed to in academia), it's probably wise to dismiss cable news segments using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Eric Cantonese posted:

And yet they don't brag about how they navigate their answering machines one message at a time.