Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Yesterday, the Senate failed to advance the Paycheck Fairness Act, as it required 60 votes. This was legislation to fix wage gap by gender. All 8 female GOP Senators voted against. Democrat Kirsten Gillibrand didn’t show up. You know who WOULD have shown up to vote? Al Franken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

General Bullshit posted:

Yesterday, the Senate failed to advance the Paycheck Fairness Act, as it required 60 votes. This was legislation to fix wage gap by gender. All 8 female GOP Senators voted against. Democrat Kirsten Gillibrand didn’t show up. You know who WOULD have shown up to vote? Al Franken.

Dark. Psychic. Abuse.

Also lmao that she didn't loving show up.

vvvvv *incoherent screaming* vvvvvvvvvv

I'd ask you who actually posted that but I really don't want to know.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for real how is this person not banned already

all of the other "allegations" from women about joe biden are variations of "He got into my personal space and i felt uncomfortable" which is valid and a real lovely thing that men do.

Reade's allegation is wildly different, doesn't square at all with anything else, doesn't square with joe biden, isn't backed up by any other experience from andybody else, and also she's a loving weirdo who seems to actually be in love with vladimir putin.

Gosh, wonder why her one wild account is dismissed by virtually everybody except online marxists who just want to rail on joe biden and the libs.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

today feels like a particularly good day to remember that i did not vote for the ra_ist joe biden

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

still losing my poo poo at the complaint leveled against the thread was "it's toxic and bullying when people suggest democrats can do rapes" and ralph's response was "holy poo poo you're right we gotta shut this down asap!!!"

debate

and

discussion

that topic ("don't yell at me I had to support a rapist") has been covered in that thread just fine before and would have been again. however I am not surprised that a person that responded with this earlier in the thread trolled the mods into a closure.

Willa Rogers posted:

Reade's contention is that Biden literally grabbed her by the pussy.

One man bragged about it; the other actually did it.

Mellow Seas posted:

It seems that only one of them was in the business of stopping when asked, if that counts for anything.

(To be clear, this doesn't make Biden's alleged behavior ok)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
democrats are destiny

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

John Charity Spring posted:

Engels would make really good effort posts about theory and then someone would dig up posts from 2001 where he called the Irish subhuman

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol how is that mellow seas post not even worth 24 loving hours much less a perma

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I know this is sourced but please don't post it anyway, it succs too much to even riff off

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Euphoriaphone posted:

i've seen this pic a few times, but this time i made myself contemplate it for a few minutes. how are these real books that exists? they're each like, 250 pages. how do you write 500 pages of fiction about real people? when you're plotting out the book and you have to develop characters for obama and biden, how do you reconcile your characters with their living, breathing actions you see on tv every day? how can you write so many pages while furiously jacking yourself off the entire time?

Inside the world of real person fanfiction
Contributed by Kayleigh Donaldson
@Ceilidhann
Jun 4, 2018, 6:02 PM EDT

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/inside-the-world-of-real-person-fanfiction

quote:

Shipping is as much a part of any fandom as fanart, roleplaying and cosplay. There will always be couples to root for, romances to support, and sexytimes to be imagined in great detail. What makes fandom so striking is its ability to use familiar tropes in unique and creative ways to explore the vast parameters of pop culture. What may seem as simple as wanting two characters from a TV show to get together can actually encompass endless ideas about culture, society, our own desires and the vast landscape of entertainment. We ship because we want, and because we know that deep down, there are few things as satisfying as a happily ever after.

Shipping real people has always been a touchy subject in fandom, especially as this previously fringe community practice has found its way to the mainstream. It's one thing to ship Jamie and Clare from Outlander, but when the focus shifts to the real-life actors behind those characters, the ethics blur.

Real person fanfiction (RPF) isn’t an objectively terrible thing like some people believe it to be. When you think of it as simply another way for fans to create narratives and dive deep into the unexplored, all while using the pre-existing structure of real people, then it’s perfectly fine. What is Hamilton, if not the ultimate piece of RPF? Shakespeare wrote some of his best plays by taking historical kings and queens — some of whom were relatives of his greatest fan, Queen Elizabeth — and making them into rip-roaring entertainment for the masses. How many times have you watched a sci-fi or horror with a villain based on Jack the Ripper? Finding new ways to retell history and the figures who defined it has been a part of the Western literary canon for as long as words have been used to tell stories. RPF is merely the evolution of that, albeit with far less respectability.

One RPF fan anonymously told us of its appeal. "My interest in RPF started when I was a lot younger, back when actually gay characters were hard to come by outside of things like Queer As Folk, which was a groundbreaking show, but it wasn't the only representation 14-year-old me wanted to see as a young pansexual (nor was it the most appropriate). So when the emo scene came around and Gerard Way and Frank Iero started making out on stage yet being cute and caring friends outside of that, or Ryan Ross wrote about the sun and the moon in reference to Brendon Urie... it became a mystery to decipher [via] lyrics, actions in interviews, rumors, and poems on MySpace/LiveJournal. It began with wanting something more real than what fiction offered. I didn't want tragic stories that were all about sex, I wanted depth and something more than what media offered. The mystery, connecting the dots, it was fascinating, fun, and left so much room to fill in the empty spaces with fanfiction/tin-hatting with friends. Writing the fanfiction was much more freeform too, because you could practically write completely original content and merely change the names to whichever RP pairing it was."

Within fandom circles, RPF has always presented problems. In 2001, the legendary site Fanfiction.net banned fic about real people, but the ban has never been 100% effective, with examples of RPF available throughout the site in various categories and written in an array of languages. A quick browse of the celebrities and real people subcategory of Archive of Our Own reveals hundreds of RPF choices, from Smallville to Shadowhunters to Ukranian history. The Marvel Cinematic Universe alone has over 3,100 RPF fics to its name (for those of you wondering, the most popular pairing is Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan). Clearly, business is booming, but the boundaries between real and fiction remain blurrier than ever.

RPF also remains something of a fandom-accepted punching bag. Fics featuring original characters, especially female ones who are paired off with big-name celebs, are seen as one of fandom’s weaker elements.

One anonymous RPF fan who wrote reader-insert stories explained why they wrote such fics. "I suppose writing the reader-insert RPF gave me a greater sense of power, and more pleasure and satisfaction as both a writer and a fan, than writing the regular sort of fanfic. One fic got me a lot of scorn, and even a threat of being banned from the forum where I posted it — even though they had no rules against posting it. I was considered to be letting down the side or making his fans look bad. As if none of them had ever fantasized about something similar!"

Shipping is great! We heartily support your right to explore fandom and the pop culture you love through whatever creative means you choose. However, when you love something, you need to be able to tackle its flaws, particularly when they become a public nuisance, and this particular brand of RPF gone rogue has become impossible to ignore. RPF has its ups and downs, and both are worth exploring.

Fanfiction is more popular than ever, but it’s also arguably more visible to the outside world than we’ve ever experienced. What was once the little secret you never told anyone about is now a publishing phenomenon, with agents proudly scouring fic sites looking for highly-viewed stories they can shave the serial numbers from and publish as original. Talk show hosts forcing their endlessly uncomfortable celebrity guests to live-read the RPF written about them has become its own cruel sport. All of this leads to the question of what happens when such things cross the line. When does RPF go from a fun and commonly explored side of fandom to something altogether more suspect? And when do the people being shipped call for a time out on it?

We could be here all day naming the tin-hat RPF ships of geek fandom, but we’ll narrow it down to a few of the most prominent examples. Robsten (Robert Pattinson/Kristen Stewart) remains a big one after the two co-starred in The Twilight Saga, but there were also the Domlijah fans, believers in a true romance between Dominic Monaghan and Elijah Wood during the filming and promotion of The Lord of the Rings trilogy; the shippers for Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balfe of Outlander fame; the occasionally infamous Supernatural fans convinced in the love of its two leading men; and more recently, Supergirl fandom has various RPF ships that have crossed those lines.

Sometimes, the results of this tin-hat approach have been less than savory. Robert Pattinson’s ex-fiancée, the musician F.K.A. Twigs, received racist and violent harassment on social media from Robsten shippers, and the actor talked about the strain such conspiracies put on his life. The spouses of both Supernatural stars, Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles, have faced hate from shippers and accusations of being hired beards. While not directly related to any ship, the fringe fandom conspiracies surrounding Sherlock and Doctor Strange star Benedict Cumberbatch, which includes claims that his wife has entrapped him in marriage with a fake child, caused him to directly call out the menace. This side of RPF is and always has been a small minority of the community. As with most things in fandom, the loudest and most aggressive voices tend to capture the lion’s share of attention. For those in fandom who wish to avoid these tensions, it can be difficult, and also impede on their ability to be fans.

Our RPF fan explained further. "Negativity and judgment toward RPF has always existed, but I think it only really started creeping up once things like show hosts asking the celebrities about the ships and making them uncomfortable started happening and when people started getting really fringe and actively stalking the real SOs. After the fringe people started getting more attention, that's what people and celebrities started to believe all RPF was like, so for the more casual majority of the fandom it became something to not talk about, like an underground trade. Number one rule, don't talk about fight club — I mean, RPF. It damaged the fandom for sure, going from a place with rules of never mentioning it to the people to fringe shippers screaming the ship at them and media talking about it, for me I left the 'fandom' a while back because of the negativity spread by scary and hostile fans."

What makes the tin-hatting subset of RPF so fascinating is that every fandom plays by the exact same rules. With some minor details changed, each of them stick to a surprisingly rigid list of business and psychological explanations that “prove” their ship is undeniably real. There is always some shadowy public relations organization forcing the pair in question to pretend their love is fake; there will always be paparazzi shots circled in MS Paint and analyzed beyond reason for “proof.” Every conspiracy relies on the insistence that various individuals are either hired to be fake spouses for the true lovers or they are forcing people into it on pain of death; the press is always part of the dark plan to keep the truth hidden; and all of this is completely obvious to anyone who isn’t a total sheeple, yet only the tiniest sliver of the population is ever apparently aware of it. No matter how outlandish the conspiracies become, and they’re often beyond ludicrous (from fake babies to secret hand signals), they’re familiar tools of the tin-hatting game.

RPF is going legitimate in a new and unforeseen way. Fanfic used to be a no-go area, one whose creativity came with clearly defined boundaries of legality, yet now it's a profitable commodity. Post-Fifty Shades of Grey, anything goes. We've already seen novels published from One Direction RPF written on Wattpad, and the site even announced last year that it would partner with major YouTube stars to bring fanfic about themselves to life. As a growing side to the ecosystems of fandom and celebrity, this is an unexpected turn, but not one people are especially shocked by. Fandom breeds enthusiasm about its subjects, and that cannot help but bleed into real life in some capacity. If there is a thriving hub of creativity in any corner where money can be made, a company or brand will find it. Our culture is ceaselessly fascinated by celebrities, and that can’t be kept apart from fandom.

Wikipedia posted:

FanFiction.net also hosts one of the longest works of fiction ever written. The Subspace Emissary's Worlds Conquest, a Super Smash Bros. fanfiction written by FanFiction.net user AuraChannelerChris, gained media attention for its length of over four million words at the time of notice, more than three times as long as In Search of Lost Time written by Marcel Proust, and is still being written. The longest fanfiction on the site is The Loud House: Revamped, a crossover fanfiction of The Loud House which is over 9,500,000 words long as of May 2021.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Raiad posted:

the sun is a cuban super weapon, and we've all been brainwashed by cuban mind control beams into thinking that it's existed for billions of years

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol how is that mellow seas post not even worth 24 loving hours much less a perma

mellow seas loving rules because he takes great pains to set himself up as a thoughtful and considerate progressive but ultimately a steely-eyed pragmatist who regrets, but finds necessary, some of his actions in the current political climate

then every once in a while just fires off one of the most loving ghoulish takes you can possibly imagine right from the hip

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

@Ceilidhann

i love teh sexytimes ;p

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Rectal Death Adept posted:

all of the other "allegations" from women about joe biden are variations of "He got into my personal space and i felt uncomfortable" which is valid and a real lovely thing that men do.

Reade's allegation is wildly different, doesn't square at all with anything else, doesn't square with joe biden, isn't backed up by any other experience from andybody else, and also she's a loving weirdo who seems to actually be in love with vladimir putin.

Gosh, wonder why her one wild account is dismissed by virtually everybody except online marxists who just want to rail on joe biden and the libs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Seinfeld is a RPF

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

thanks i hate it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

actual lolling. D&D owns

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i know the admins hate making fun of D&D. but my god how can you not. just look at that lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
:aochloe:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Joe Biden is a rapist. His daughter is also a sexmonster.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

boy it sure is great that men who repeatedly and publicly violate women and little girls' personal space usually turn out to be a-ok in private. we really dodged a bullet there

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
It took a QCS thread and grabbing the attention of outside mods and admins to punish shitheads and stop "stop" the rape apologia the first time around. Then again, all the people who got dinged the first time just deleted their posts and are still here to this day, so :shrug:

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

mellow seas loving rules because he takes great pains to set himself up as a thoughtful and considerate progressive but ultimately a steely-eyed pragmatist who regrets, but finds necessary, some of his actions in the current political climate

then every once in a while just fires off one of the most loving ghoulish takes you can possibly imagine right from the hip

I think he's fun because he just could not post in the GE thread without getting immediately probed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Euphoriaphone posted:

i've seen this pic a few times, but this time i made myself contemplate it for a few minutes. how are these real books that exists? they're each like, 250 pages. how do you write 500 pages of fiction about real people? when you're plotting out the book and you have to develop characters for obama and biden, how do you reconcile your characters with their living, breathing actions you see on tv every day? how can you write so many pages while furiously jacking yourself off the entire time?

I once went into an indie bookstore while on vacation a few years ago and saw those, so I can confirm they are legitimately real books.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

@Ceilidhann

Okay first of all that loud house poo poo is just rewritten scripts, literally, second of all it's cowardly to not mention that the longest English language original work is currently 8 million words plus and counting and not fanfic.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Marx Headroom posted:

Seinfeld is a RPF

Curb literally is, especially the Seinfeld season.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Got me

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lmfao I went to run a couple errands half-expecting to come back to a probation, not a locked thread. shrugging at this crazy person who seems to be really upset when people don't treat rape with gravity, like a pragmatic progressive

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

gotta shut the thread down so we can figure out whats goin' on

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Salean posted:

gotta shut the thread down so we can figure out whats goin' on

If it's a legitimate discussion the forum has ways of shutting it down

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Speaking of which, when's the succ zone supposed to be reopened?

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Speak your succ here child. We will receive you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

As soon as Jeffery gets back from his walk

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Democrats love symbolic gestures that do nothing, so it is especially baffling Gillibrand wouldn't show up for the vote

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The rape apology won't be stopped until D&D stops being modded by multiple rape apologists. It's that simple.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

silicone thrills posted:

vvvvv *incoherent screaming* vvvvvvvvvv

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Josh Christ posted:

Okay first of all that loud house poo poo is just rewritten scripts, literally, second of all it's cowardly to not mention that the longest English language original work is currently 8 million words plus and counting and not fanfic.
...isn't it Fallout: Equestria?

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Mind_Taker posted:

today feels like a particularly good day to remember that i did not vote for the ra_ist joe biden

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

There are some doozies in that stupid poll. Which thank God there majority is saying no

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...isn't it Fallout: Equestria?

Not even close, that's only 620k-ish according to google

It's The Wandering Inn which is an isekai wait dont go1 web serial wait seriously i mean it that's largely a slice of life story about a girl who finds herself in a fantasy world, in an abandoned inn, and becomes an innkeeper largely out of lack of anything else to do to fill time. It's the only book where I've ever been like "don't show me a fight scene, I want another three chapters about the city council elections" it's fuckin wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

*watched a 5 minute supercut of Joe Biden rubbing his hands all over women/children who got too close to him*

Why yes, this is just making them uncomfortable.