Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
friend: "my [pixel 2 xl] is getting no new updates"

remembered the image about the ios update that is going back to the iphone se, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

why do you peeps read that thread, doesn't it make you sputter with incredulity. is it some kind of self-flagellation sex thing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

why do you peeps read that thread, doesn't it make you sputter with incredulity. is it some kind of self-flagellation sex thing

don't kinkshame

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

The 6s and later are getting ios 15 lol

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Perplx posted:

The 6s and later are getting ios 15 lol

They must run like absolute crap. I had a first gen ipad that started being unusable 3 years ago.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

og se runs ios 14.x good enough for work phone duty.

imagine say... sarnsung galaxy s6 getting whatever the latest android version is and still running serviceably.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CoolRanch posted:

They must run like absolute crap.

i just migrated to a 1g se from a 5 and its blazing compared

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

They must run like absolute crap. I had a first gen ipad that started being unusable 3 years ago.

my mom still has a first gen se, which has 6s internals, and it feels fine

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CoolRanch posted:

you have an 11 year old iPad that support was dropped for 8 years ago and was unusable back then, and it just started being unusable?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my moto xyboard is still buttery smooth. wrap it up ipaidailures

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

project butter paying off dividends as the years go by

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Typo, I meant ipad air* three years ago.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

imagine say... sarnsung galaxy s6 getting whatever the latest android version is and still running serviceably.

Imagine an s6 running.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

i am sure there are thousands of 6 year old samsung phones still in use. people don't care.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mine won't hold a charge but just for fun let's try it

coke
Jul 12, 2009

CoolRanch posted:

Typo, I meant ipad air* three years ago.

Imagine an s6 running.
lol the original ipad air came out in 2013

so that's still about 5 years of full os update and there's even security update for it that came out just a few weeks ago

but yeah it has the same chip as the 5s which is pretty garbage for bloated apps and webpage nowadays

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

my poor galaxy s6 loses charge while plugged in, even if i'm doing something with it

an ignominious end to a good phone that i liked a lot for a long time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Anne Frank Funk posted:

og se runs ios 14.x good enough for work phone duty.

i am pretty sure it'd run just fine for most peoples purposes. rather imagine a s6 *getting* android 12.

and to be clear this is as much qualcomms idiot scam as it is googles.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i am pretty sure it'd run just fine for most peoples purposes. rather imagine a s6 *getting* android 12.

and to be clear this is as much qualcomms idiot scam as it is googles.

a good way to find out would be to dig through xda and see if there are roms of latest android versions still being developed for these old phones. back in galaxy spica times i janitored it to at least three versions past official support.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anne Frank Funk posted:

dig through xda

like the sewer scene in Shawshank Redemption

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kitten smoothie posted:

dig through the forums
and install the new roms
i slam for crashing my galaxyyyy

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

i have very little to do at work and its the first result when i press the letter f in the omnibox

in all seriousness it truly offers nothing of value. its just the same ten or so people circlejerking none of whom post anything interesting that i dont see elsewhere first. the only thing its good for is a place where i can get a quick answer if something is universal or unique to me (useful with googles server side switches on things) and maybe occasionally i can help someone with a problem that i know something about. and i guess its useful as a survey of whether a particular model breaks easily but thats less the case as fewer individuals post there

i guess if theres anything i look forward to its stuff like the "hot singles in my area want to sext" linked above and people who dont want google to track them but wont use crapple!!!! products either so they break everything on the phone and ask why it doesnt work

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CoolRanch posted:

no, because unlike Android, iOS isn’t programmed in Java and is optimized for things like memory usage. The 6s has 2G of Ram and NVME. It’s perfectly fine for iOS 15.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

DoomTrainPhD posted:

no, because unlike Android, iOS isn’t programmed in Java and is optimized for things like memory usage. The 6s has 2G of Ram and NVME. It’s perfectly fine for iOS 15.

Wrong bitch, i think it was ios 11 that made even the built in apps run as stuttery as android.

And yes I even wiped it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CoolRanch posted:

Wrong bitch, i think it was ios 11 that made even the built in apps run as stuttery as android.

And yes I even wiped it.

yes. they admitted as much and fixed that garbage in iOS 12 (maybe 13?)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Sadly the Air1 turned out to be a terrible buy. I just got rid of my kid's one.
Luckily Air2 was a real MVP.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

coke posted:

but yeah it has the same chip as the 5s which is pretty garbage for bloated apps and webpage nowadays

i have an air 1 and it is slow, but apps are fine if they're lean. web pages are just worse, as they always are

the big problem is apps are slowly dropping ios 12, which isn't shocking just annoying

kitten smoothie posted:

lo

carry on then posted:

dig through the forums
and install the new roms
i slam for crashing my galaxyyyy

l

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

i guess if theres anything i look forward to its stuff like the "hot singles in my area want to sext"

speaking of

zaepg posted:

Well I've narrowed it down to who it was who attempted to blackmail me and texted my dad pictures of my dong.

It's been three days now, and I've tried to sweep this dumb poo poo aside, but it's not going away easily with time.
He works about three miles from where I live and is a doctor, who likely earns gently caress ton of money.
He is in a position of power.
This guy has a home, a wife, ect.
At this point I don't give a gently caress about a picture of my dick on the internet. I want to confront him personally and make public to his coworkers that he is a doctor who catfishes and blackmails people in his local area at 4am in the morning, and has likely done this on a reoccurring basis for quite sometime.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow. sounds like this guy makes a lot of good decisions. can't wait to hear how this plays out for him

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

speaking of

this has the potential to own severely and or also be insanely hosed up

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I am getting lot of youtube adverts for pixel phones that use an obvious google text to speech voice and it is so cringe

like it would be funny if someone was lip syncing microsoft mary but using it in earnest as a replacement for a real human is distracting at the least and cringe at the worst.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

post to buzz

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

full screen widget to inspect your empty schedule

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Smythe posted:

this has the potential to own severely and or also be insanely hosed up

i suspect the doctor also has a compromised phone and this dude will self-own hard when he accuses another dong ransom victim of dong ransom

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Agile Vector posted:

i suspect the doctor also has a compromised phone and this dude will self-own hard when he accuses another dong ransom victim of dong ransom

this is obvious because doctors can’t use computers well enough to ransom someone

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Anne Frank Funk posted:

full screen widget to inspect your empty schedule

the Android version of “for sale: baby shoes,never worn”

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the new google store just opened and lol just lol

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/heres-whats-inside-googles-first-ever-retail-store/

ars makes the correct comparison:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
finally a way to reach a human for google support problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am squinting at that image trying to figure out what they even sell, because other than chromecasts, their alexa knockoff and whatever pixel phone they're selling this month, i have no idea.