Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
glad to see we're getting back to back dark and heavy episodes with Grizzly Smith into Dynamite Kid. Wonder how much they'll talk about British Bulldog's downfall too since they tend to hit on other people around the main topics life.

also one of my biggest take aways is that there is probably still enough about Jake the Snake's life that he could have his own episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jake's story has been told though, and while there's precedent for already-covered material on Dark Side (the Screwjob) I don't know if there's another unique angle to approach it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah the Jake documentary that DDP and them did is what you're looking for, if you haven't seen it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

who do you think they'll get for the dynamite episode

my picks are bret, dave, davey jr....not sure who after

flashy_mcflash posted:

Jake's story has been told though, and while there's precedent for already-covered material on Dark Side (the Screwjob) I don't know if there's another unique angle to approach it.

personally, i want a heroes of wrestling dark side

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Jake's behavior was the only real notable thing about the show, the rest was just over the hill guys stinking out the joint

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah the bit in this about how everyone showed up in bad shape but Jake was extremely hosed up is pretty much all you need to know.

I'd love an episode on the show if they had footage from backstage or talking heads that could speak in detail about how the event came together and how the vibe was backstage as they started to realize how it was collapsing in real time, but I don't think either of those exist and most of those guys are dead.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Smoking Crow posted:

I'd guess:

- Jacques Rougeau, since they got him for a previous episode
- Ray Rougeau, to collaborate on the thing with Jacques/DK
- Bret, because apparently he was the only one who got along with him
- Cornette, because he has opinions on/memories with DK, and he's been in like every episode
- Mick Foley, because he's available, and has the story about DK breaking his jaw for fun
- Jimmy Hart, maybe, because he's available, and likely crossed paths with him a ton in the 80s

I feel like Diana has strong opinions and a lot to say, but wouldn't want to appear. Bruce Hart will do anything for a buck or exposure, so if asked, he'd appear.

I don't know how much contact Harry had with DK, but he seems really active in regards to his dad's memory; maybe they'll save him for a Davey Boy episode. Ditto for Diana.

Sayama is a longshot.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

I mean, if Brawl for All got an episode, this could, too. It's not especially noteworthy, but it was interesting in that it was a bad show full of over-the-hill guys who were in no shape to work, and no one wanted to lose, and the promoters had no idea how to properly promote or run the event, much less handle pro wrestlers.

It's almost 21 years old, and the number of dead people is rough:

- Capt. Lou
- George Steele
- Anvil
- Yoko
- Tommy Rogers
- Sherri
- Volkoff
- Bundy
- Snuka

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I wouldn't expect Bret on the Dynamite episode. He wasn't on the Owen episode; I swear I heard from somewhere that he was upset with how the Montreal episode came across (specifically, giving time to the "it was a work" theory).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

I'd guess:

- Jacques Rougeau, since they got him for a previous episode
- Ray Rougeau, to collaborate on the thing with Jacques/DK
- Bret, because apparently he was the only one who got along with him
- Cornette, because he has opinions on/memories with DK, and he's been in like every episode
- Mick Foley, because he's available, and has the story about DK breaking his jaw for fun
- Jimmy Hart, maybe, because he's available, and likely crossed paths with him a ton in the 80s

I feel like Diana has strong opinions and a lot to say, but wouldn't want to appear. Bruce Hart will do anything for a buck or exposure, so if asked, he'd appear.

I don't know how much contact Harry had with DK, but he seems really active in regards to his dad's memory; maybe they'll save him for a Davey Boy episode. Ditto for Diana.

Sayama is a longshot.
Maybe DK's ex wife? Is she still alive?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Turns out Chyna isn't going to get her own episode of Dark Side of the Ring because they're doing a full documentary about her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z27Xng0Q6s

I feel like this is going to be a pretty hard watch.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That's probably a good idea. My biggest criticism of some of these S3 episodes is that they seem too big to fit into a single 40 minute episode and often feel rushed. The two-parters have all been the best ones because they have a lot more room to breathe.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
My first real knowledge of Grizzly Smith was reading Have a Nice Day. Foley talks about Grizzly caring more about the wrestlers than other people in positions of authority, like pulling Mick aside when he (correctly) thinks he's concussed.

It's very jarring in retrospect, but it tracks with what Robin and Jake said about him being fatherly to other wrestlers while treating his own kids like garbage.

I knew about the stuff with Jake's mom going into it, but I had no idea about the level of abuse with his kids and other young girls.

Dude was a loving monster and more or less did his thing unhindered for decades. That poo poo is terrifying. It kind of makes you wonder how many other predators used the transient nature of territories era wrestling to find victims and then just roll on to the next town.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 5, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i dunno i'm a terrible judge of anything and everything but did michael seem not entirely there to anyone else in this?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dunno i'm a terrible judge of anything and everything but did michael seem not entirely there to anyone else in this?

You are not wrong.

Alcohol abuse can do some pretty serious long-term damage to the brain. He could have also suffered TBI from wrestling that led to some long-term effects.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He's the only one they didn't go out of their way to mention got sober. Read into that what you will.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I also noticed that. I assume the dude killed a whooooole lotta braincells with booze.

I feel like we definitely didn't get the full story on Michael.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Very good episode in the worst way. Like with the Pillman episodes, the only thing that kind of irked me were the reenactments for horrible personal memories, like Jake being molested by his stepmother, I was almost waiting for the actor to yell "AW GEE MOM!!". Otherwise, it was great to hear from the siblings. Sam Houston looks knackered.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

What is tonight’s episode?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dynamite. Light the fuse, get tissues

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Are they taking a break after this episode? I noticed that they announced this chunk of episodes ending with Dynamite a while back but there are more topics yet to cover this season.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Are they taking a break after this episode? I noticed that they announced this chunk of episodes ending with Dynamite a while back but there are more topics yet to cover this season.

Yeah it comes back in the fall

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

my impression of dynamite kid is he was a complete piece of poo poo and deserved all his misfortune

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Mulaney Power Move posted:

my impression of dynamite kid is he was a complete piece of poo poo and deserved all his misfortune

Yeah this is how I've understood his situation/life

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe DK's ex wife? Is she still alive?

His daughter has been somewhat active in the local Calgary indy scene, but I’ve been out of touch for a few years so no idea what she’s up to these days.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

drat that episode was a gutpunch. Putting this one right after the Grizzly episode was certainly a choice, depicting two completely repellent individuals.

Dynamite is a lot more complicated than Grizzly and the episode seemed to go a lot further in trying to soften the image of him as a monster than I expected, but it felt honest. I had no idea about what he was like in those last few years after leaving wrestling, and it does feel like he chose to completely isolate himself because he couldn't control his temper.

Curious, why was there barely any mention of Davey Boy in this? Is he getting his own ep?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
It’s weird I felt like they portrayed him probably in the best light they could and tried to make arguments to forgive him for how awful he was when that’s really lovely because he was not a good person

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
The silhouette dramatization of Dynamite making GBS threads in the bag with suspenseful music playing wasn't something I was prepared for.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Zombie Lemur posted:

The silhouette dramatization of Dynamite making GBS threads in the bag with suspenseful music playing wasn't something I was prepared for.

lol thank you vice

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Good episode, it was pretty heartbreaking when Dynamite's ex-wife basically said the best thing he did for his family was just leaving and never seeing them.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm not gonna lie, I got really into it when Jacques Rougeau described how he knocked Dynamite Kid's teeth out.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I got really into it when Jacques Rougeau described how he knocked Dynamite Kid's teeth out.

Same. It's not great that the locker room was so poisonous that you'd have to knock out a guy just to survive, but Dynamite absolutely deserved to be knocked down a peg.

It reminds me of the story about Joey Styles knocking out JBL with a single punch after getting bullied, too.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

A Fancy Hat posted:

Same. It's not great that the locker room was so poisonous that you'd have to knock out a guy just to survive, but Dynamite absolutely deserved to be knocked down a peg.

It reminds me of the story about Joey Styles knocking out JBL with a single punch after getting bullied, too.

It absolutely sucked that the environment was as toxic as it was. It was so bad that Jaques thought he had to(pretend to hire the mob to protect him. I'm glad that you don't hear many stories of locker rooms this extreme anymore. Because holy crap.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I knew about Dynamite pointing the gun at his ex-wife but had no idea she was also pregnant at the time.

I also liked the fact that when she called the cops for help, literally telling them that her husband was threatening to blow her head off if she didn't leave, the cops tell her to do what he says and leave instead of sending out help. ACAB as always

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 11, 2021

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I didn't really appreciate the talking heads (friends of Dynamite) trying to go "oh woe is Dynamite because he didn't get to give a receipt for the receipt that Jacques gave him." I've always been pro-Jacques with that story.

When Dynamite's ex brought up CTE at the end I was like "oh right that explains why his personality changed" because somehow I had completely forgotten about CTE while watching it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CVagts posted:

I didn't really appreciate the talking heads (friends of Dynamite) trying to go "oh woe is Dynamite because he didn't get to give a receipt for the receipt that Jacques gave him." I've always been pro-Jacques with that story.

When Dynamite's ex brought up CTE at the end I was like "oh right that explains why his personality changed" because somehow I had completely forgotten about CTE while watching it.

I feel like that would've been an important thing to touch on because I felt the same. I think more could've been done to emphasize the obvious parallels between him and Benoit but this is yet another Dark Side that felt really limited by the running time.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

his cte was so bad harley race felt guilt over creating the diving headbutt because he thought that was what hosed up benoit and dynamite

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So did I hear right, was Bret's first wife, Julie Hart, the Dynamite Kid's sister?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Davros1 posted:

So did I hear right, was Bret's first wife, Julie Hart, the Dynamite Kid's sister?

I think Bret and Dynamites first wives were sisters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Smoking Crow posted:

his cte was so bad harley race felt guilt over creating the diving headbutt because he thought that was what hosed up benoit and dynamite
And although he didn't have big personality swings, Daniel Bryan also almost had his career ended and was coincidentally also a user of the diving headbutt regularly.