Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Alacron posted:

My condolences.

I categorically do not understand this mindset, The Imprisoned is by far the easiest and least frustrating of the giant bosses to deal with.

Meanwhile Manhandla was the absolute bane of my existence.

how many times have you fought the imprisoned inside a fort while not being able to take damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

how many times have you fought the imprisoned inside a fort while not being able to take damage

Couple dozen times.

Now, Manhandla inside a fort while not being able to take damage

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Imprisoned is at least predictable, Manhandla has a lot of really dangerous AOE attacks it will spam constantly, shout out to its attack where it spins around like a top with its heads flailing everywhere.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I've never had an issue with Manhandla. Approach, block seed spam, boomerang has always worked. Anecdotal, obviously.

I hope we can all agree, though, that the big monsters suck and, if nothing else, The Imprisoned in vanilla HW was the absolute worst.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The imprisoned in OG HW was loving awful because it was scripted to get up halfway through its WPG.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Jack Trades posted:

There was a terrible terrible Musou game called Bladestorm or something which has a cool feature of you collecting some mooks and getting formation attacks with them.
I wouldn't really call Bladestorm a Musou game, it plays differently in actual gameplay and in presentation.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's closer to Kessen. Closer, not exactly like. The group you're running with is everything. You can do very little yourself. I also wouldn't say it is 'terrible'.

This did manage to port Kingdom Under Fire The Crusaders and Kingdom Under Fire Heroes to PC. They're worth your time if you're looking to fight.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bloodly posted:

It's closer to Kessen. Closer, not exactly like. The group you're running with is everything. You can do very little yourself. I also wouldn't say it is 'terrible'.

This did manage to port Kingdom Under Fire The Crusaders and Kingdom Under Fire Heroes to PC. They're worth your time if you're looking to fight.

I should check that out. I always wanted a "musou but you actually need the mooks" kind of game.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I've always liked the kingdom under fire games myself. I mean, brace for the early 2000's 'goth kid in the back of the class' level writing, but it hits a nice stride of lite strategy broken up by action. Also it can legit be hard if you aren't paying attention.

The MMO sequel more than a decade later raises some eyebrows, but I can't give an objective opinion there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm enjoying Berserk musou a lot but man this translation is a bit rough huh

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bloodly posted:

Oh wow I never realized Kingdom Under Fire got ported. Neat.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm enjoying Berserk musou a lot but man this translation is a bit rough huh

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk was a bit of a red flag for me when it was first announced. I wanted to like that game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wamdoodle posted:

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk was a bit of a red flag for me when it was first announced. I wanted to like that game.

It would have been better if they didn't immediately advertise it with a tentacle creeping around a naked Casca.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The blood does adds a lot of good feedback to the Musou gameplay.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh I meant more that the translation itself isn't very good--lots of typos and peculiar grammar and word choices that make it seem like the localization was handed off the lowest bidder or perhaps a boss's cousin or something. It's competent enough that I can understand what's happening so it's fine, I just wish it were a little better.

I have also been warned that the content of Berserk is rough too, so I'm looking forward to finding out what that means. Just murdered a child, can't wait to see what antics I get up to next

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

kirbysuperstar posted:

It would have been better if they didn't immediately advertise it with a tentacle creeping around a naked Casca.

Lol drat I had forgotten about that.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I started looking into DW9 and the consensus is hell no. Given that the consensus for Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV was also hell no and they're failing to meet release dates...

Is Koei Tecmo going to be OK?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nioh sells a couple of million copies a title so yeah. Also GUST managed to find a formula for Atelier that's pushes it into 'actually sells decently for a low budget JRPG' absolute territory.

Even just Omega Force their Nintendo tie-ins sell gang busters.

It's not like a lot of their games cost tons to make.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

piL posted:

I started looking into DW9 and the consensus is hell no. Given that the consensus for Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV was also hell no and they're failing to meet release dates...

Is Koei Tecmo going to be OK?

They made like 20 games since

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Oh yeah. Other than the tie-ins, I kind of forgot about all of that other stuff. I just got nostalgic and depressed about Animecient China I guess, since there's always been a recent release worth playing for like 20 years straight. Then remembering Tecmo made me nostalgic and depressed about Tecmo's Deception.

piL fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 24, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SW5 looks promising so far

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Even just Omega Force their Nintendo tie-ins sell gang busters.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is the best selling musou game so yep.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently there's a bunch more playable characters in SW5 announced that share a moveset (no unique attacks unlike the existing clones that do have some differentiation)

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

lurksion posted:

Apparently there's a bunch more playable characters in SW5 announced that share a moveset (no unique attacks unlike the existing clones that do have some differentiation)

They're the so-called "unique NPCs", which they've decided to make playable after all, but yeah...those won't be very different from each other.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I probably won't get either one, but I noticed Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe is on sale on Switch for 8 bucks, and Pirate Warriors 4 is on sale for 24 bucks (and a bunch of its DLC is half off too, the Deluxe for 4 is still full price though). What was the general opinion on these games? I think I remember hearing one of them was pretty bad.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I probably won't get either one, but I noticed Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe is on sale on Switch for 8 bucks, and Pirate Warriors 4 is on sale for 24 bucks (and a bunch of its DLC is half off too, the Deluxe for 4 is still full price though). What was the general opinion on these games? I think I remember hearing one of them was pretty bad.
Pirate Warriors 3 is generally considered to be one of the best spinoff games, while 4 suffered in comparison with things like a truncated story mode. Can personally vouch for PW3 being tied with Hyrule Warriors for my favorite Musou, with a wide variety of characters with varying movesets.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nah they're both pretty good, but PW3 is more replayable, as it has a side mode that semi randomizes every battle, so you can revisit the missions and get different characters to fight.
Combat is also somewhat more technical, you have both standard musou combos and what amount to reverse combos that you do by tapping the heavy attack button and finishing the string with a light attack.

PW4 is nicer graphically, has levels that are a little less square, and you can customize your character's moveset a bit, but lacks that replayability.

Really, they're both good if you're in a musou mood.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I actually did end up getting PW3, I figure even if I don't play it much, 8 bucks is too good of a price to pass it up. The game makes Ivankov's Devil Fruit ability sound more horrifying than it actually is (the game says it allows him to rearrange people's guts).

I'm not entirely sure I like the Kizuna thing where you summon a crew member to finish your combo. It's not bad or anything and I guess they wanted to stress the bonds and stuff between the crew members but it just seems eh. The lock on doesn't work as well in this game as it does in other Warriors games, the camera definitely doesn't stick on the enemy as well and I still have to manually adjust the camera a lot of the time.

Still, it's fun.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Musou games are like fine wines

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oof, I ran into a very unfortunate bug in PW3 that's frustrating. I'm doing the Don Krieg battle, and I beat it just fine the first time through. Put it on Hard and went through a second time for the last Treasure Event and to clear the Hard difficulty requirement, I beat Mihawk which took a lot of work, and then got to the part where Don Krieg tries to stop Sanji from reaching the one territory. The first time around I chased Don Krieg, and each time I got into a territory it'd close off and I'd have to take it, then the gates would open and I could do that again a couple more times.

This time around I chased him into the first territory, the gates locked, I beat up some enemies and then there weren't any more enemies. I got stuck in the territory with it at about half health, and no enemies were spawning to lower it further so I could escape. So I'm trapped there. I googled and saw someone who claimed to have a fix for this (by suspending the fight and then restarting it) but I tried that and I still had no enemies and none spawning to help me escape. So looks like I have to lose the battle which sucks.

I'm also not a fan of the ridiculous requirements to S rank stuff. I'm used to regular Warriors games where 1000 KOs is a big deal, this game is like "Pssh only 1900 KOs? Guess you get a loving A rank, for AWFUL."

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oof, I ran into a very unfortunate bug in PW3 that's frustrating. I'm doing the Don Krieg battle
So looks like I have to lose the battle which sucks.

Yeah, I got hit with this one too, had to lose the battle and redo it. Went faster the 2nd time, since I had some experience dodging Mihawk's attacks.

quote:

I'm also not a fan of the ridiculous requirements to S rank stuff. I'm used to regular Warriors games where 1000 KOs is a big deal, this game is like "Pssh only 1900 KOs? Guess you get a loving A rank, for AWFUL."
If you run around taking territories, you'll generally hit the S-rank KO requirements. You also beat up a lot of dudes in this one, fodder density gets really high in later / higher level fights.
For getting lots of !, the best way I found to do it was to enter a territory with a full Kizuna bar, trigger Kizuna mode, beat dudes up, and then cancel it early so you retain 2 Kizuna levels, instead of having to build the bar back up the long way. Allows you to get those ! fast.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah using the Kizuna Rush and then canceling it right before it ends has helped with the ! stuff since any KO you get in Kizuna Rush mode counts as a !

Going through the story mode all I have to say is man, early One Piece was so loving good. I'm not saying it's bad now or anything, because I stopped watching the anime when they arrived on Long Ring Island, because that was the point at which Comcast (my ISP at the time) stopped allowing torrents so I couldn't keep up with the anime anymore, and if I wanted to continue from where I was I'd have like what, 700 episodes to watch? But yeah, One Piece is really good.

On the other hand Sanji in this game sucks. His inability to attack female characters is really frustrating. For the most part it's solved by "Don't play Sanji in those levels" but Alabasta is really annoying because one of the Treasure Events is to beat Mr. 2 with Sanji, and early in the level Tashigi shows up and you have to beat her to progress the story which is a pain in the rear end. You're also basically prevented from beating Nico Robin before she defeats Tashigi later in the stage too. It's really bad!

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Twelve by Pies posted:

On the other hand Sanji in this game sucks. His inability to attack female characters is really frustrating. For the most part it's solved by "Don't play Sanji in those levels" but Alabasta is really annoying because one of the Treasure Events is to beat Mr. 2 with Sanji, and early in the level Tashigi shows up and you have to beat her to progress the story which is a pain in the rear end. You're also basically prevented from beating Nico Robin before she defeats Tashigi later in the stage too. It's really bad!

Yeah, that mechanic loving sucks, and they do it again in Pirate Warriors 4 too.
If I remember correctly, you can hit women as Sanji with your special attacks, so you can do some damage as long as you keep finding fodder to beat up to charge your bar.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

More or less the trick with fighting women as Sanji is that when you fill the kizuna gauge your ally attacks at the ends of your combos and it gets stronger the more you use the meter and fill it again with another ally.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Samurai Warriors 5 demo is up on all three consoles on the respective Japanese stores.

It's a pretty ugly looking game so if you've got a PC that might be the version to go for - the PS4 version runs at what seem to be 1080p flat doubled without any filter to 4K with a very strong chromatic aberration filter, the Xbox does something similar but with some weird glitchy jitter going on and the Switch version runs at about 20fps.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I hope it unlocks extras for DW8 so I can stop getting that message when I boot it up on Switch :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

uiruki posted:

Samurai Warriors 5 demo is up on all three consoles on the respective Japanese stores.

It's a pretty ugly looking game so if you've got a PC that might be the version to go for - the PS4 version runs at what seem to be 1080p flat doubled without any filter to 4K with a very strong chromatic aberration filter, the Xbox does something similar but with some weird glitchy jitter going on and the Switch version runs at about 20fps.

Trusting that a KT PC port will be any better than that is a fools game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The nioh ports were good

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The Ninja Gaiden port, however...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PureRok posted:

The Ninja Gaiden port, however...

what you don't like having to select your resolution with a command line argument?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Sakurazuka posted:

Trusting that a KT PC port will be any better than that is a fools game

I mean, I'm not going to buy it day 1 or anything rash like that!

I was able to brute force Orochi 4 into a decent state at 1440p so I'm hoping I can do that again. The new machines don't have any trouble running the games smoothly, it's just the weird choices KT made with the visual presentation.