Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

This thread got me to look up FASERIP, which lead me to check out Gurbintroll Games again, which lead me to discover that Dark Dungeons has been rereleased as Dark Dungeons X (allegedly including material from the now-deprecated Darker Dungeons) and that they also have a Rolemaster retroclone called Lightmaster now

Thanks thread!

These seem pretty interesting, I've never heard of Gurbintroll before. Have you played any of their other systems?

Lightmaster in particular seems really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

leekster posted:

These seem pretty interesting, I've never heard of Gurbintroll before. Have you played any of their other systems?

Lightmaster is a Rolemaster clone (pretty much flat out), so you should also check out Rolemaster and HARP, if you're interested.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I played Rolemaster a lot back in Highschool, along with the old MERP game.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Funzo posted:

There's also Against the Darkmaster, which is supposedly a very good MERP retroclone.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Funzo posted:

D&D was filled with satanic hatred and dark witchery that was not allowed in our house. MERP, on the other hand, was based on a series of books by JRR Tolkein, a friend of CS Lewis, who was a well known Christian, so it was okay to have in the house. My parents were weird.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

leekster posted:

Dark Dungeons is basically a clone of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia, which was a compilation of the Basic / Expert / Companion / Master / Immortal boxed sets for [non-Advanced] D&D to let you play a game from level 1 to 36+ in a single book. I've played this in a oneshot once.

Darker Dungeons was that game, but with the author's rules changes. There was some kind of trademark/copyright dispute over the name (which was rumored to be related to the videogame Darkest Dungeon) which is why it went away for a while, and the two games had to be re-released as this "Dark Dungeons X".

Blood, Guts & Glory was the first game from the outfit that tried to imitate/clone Rolemaster but compressing the d100 rolls into a d20... but the setting was based on faux-Victorian England with anthropomorphic animals so it wasn't really my speed, which is why Lightmaster piqued my interest.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Goa Tse-tung posted:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/gear/marvel-to-launch-official-marvel-multiverse-tabletop-role-playing-game-in-2022
"Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022"

I am extremely sceptical about using 616-sided dice.

From the writer of BIOMUTANT (not complaining, I love his blood bowl / guild wars novels.)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I played in a fantastic Rolemaster campaign back in the day, but drat the actual rules got in the way.

I remember one big boss fight the DM had to arrange a special meetup one weekend afternoon just so we had time to play out the entire fight in one hit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Darker Dungeons was that game, but with the author's rules changes.

For context the rules changes mostly boil down to using ascending AC instead of THAC0, swapping the Magic User and Elf's names around (literally just the names) and putting monks in but calling them Lupines because kung fu is too anime.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 6, 2021

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

and putting monks in but calling them Lupines because kung fu is too anime.

Maybe it's just me, but this feels like it's begging for an all-races-as-classes retroclone. Halflings instead of thieves, humans instead of fighters, and then toss in random stuff like rabbit people, werewolves, and so on to fill out all the subclass variations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Roadie posted:

Maybe it's just me, but this feels like it's begging for an all-races-as-classes retroclone. Halflings instead of thieves, humans instead of fighters, and then toss in random stuff like rabbit people, werewolves, and so on to fill out all the subclass variations.

This has the inadvertent, delightful effect of implying that the cleric-substitute race is the only one the gods notice or care about (or the only ones to figure out field medicine, if you reskin the healing).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

This has the inadvertent, delightful effect of implying that the cleric-substitute race is the only one the gods notice or care about (or the only ones to figure out field medicine, if you reskin the healing).

Just make them angels or anakim then.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
loving drat it

http://www.trollishdelver.com/2021/06/im-done-with-tunnels-trolls.html

Ken St Andre chuds out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This poo poo is so tiring.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Zero likes, zero direct retweets, seven negative quote retweets. All the replies are variations on "what the gently caress is wrong with you?". That's something, I suppose.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I always put a lot of stock in no-avatar randomletter-randomnumberstring-randomletters bait accounts.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Lucas Archer posted:

D&D was filled with satanic hatred and dark witchery that was not allowed in our house. MERP, on the other hand, was based on a series of books by JRR Tolkein, a friend of CS Lewis, who was a well known Christian, so it was okay to have in the house. My parents were weird.

Not as weird as mine. D&D was forbidden because Satan.

But no one at church had ever said anything about Vampire or Werewolf, so those must've been okay.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Canadians, especially when discussing indigenous people, can be almost cartoonishly racist. And they really are built into the self image of "dorky harmless people" that people like to cultivate. We recently found like 200+ dead children underneath a residential school and considering how the entire country came together when sixteen white kids were killed in 2018 by a traffic accident you'd think they would care a bit but no, not really, no. It's a tough pill to swallow, the idea of Canada having been a country that aggressively did genocides, apparently. The King of the Hill episode which portrays canadians (from the capital city) as a bunch of hoighty-toighty and highly arrogant, snooty assholes is very spot on as well.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
pretty sure we just found more bodies over in my province too :shepface:

And yeah like, people will say the most horrifying things about first nations here like it's nothing at all. ugh.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

DantetheK9 posted:

Not as weird as mine. D&D was forbidden because Satan.

But no one at church had ever said anything about Vampire or Werewolf, so those must've been okay.

Y'all shoulda played with mormon kids as an adolescent. The kids' parents who I played with were all involved with TSR so I got to play with what would now be considered a professional gm, and his dumb cockney accent he used for virtually every character. He still didn't have a copy of the Al-Qadim monster supplement, which he could never find, despite being the editor of it, but what are you gonna do?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

neongrey posted:

pretty sure we just found more bodies over in my province too :shepface:

And yeah like, people will say the most horrifying things about first nations here like it's nothing at all. ugh.

It's like watching a switch flip and for years made me think I was schizophrenic.

"Boo harper. I'm voting for the NDP! I'm very progressive. I'm pro lbgt, trans rights, housing should be a human right, etc"
"Residential schools."
"It was a different time! We give them seven billion dollars year! If they're in such bad straights, why can't they get a job?" etc etc etc.

Even the nicest people I know were hard-to-the-core just absolutely brutal when it came to indigenous stuff.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
This sounds exactly like the UK and travellers. Right down to "I'm progressive! Green our streets, fund our NHS, give kids a chance! Also, police death squads at every encampment."

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
My own weirdest experience with casual Canadian racism towards indigenous people came when I was walking down Yonge street in Toronto with my ex and we saw an argument between two women on the other side of the street turn violent; one of the women started assaulting the other with a crutch*. We were both simultaneously like "Oh poo poo, we should do something!" and I pulled out my phone and dialed 911. While I was explaining the situation to the operator a random guy who was walking past us on the street stopped and just told us we shouldn't bother calling 911 about this before going into an unprompted, racist diatribe against indigenous people and walking off. My ex and I were both too stunned by this to respond, and what was even crazier was that I don't even know if the women involved in the fight that started the whole thing were even indigenous people!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Ken St Andre chuds out.

Halloween Jack posted:

Our hobby suffers immensely from having been created by white college boys from the American Midwest

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
But of course.

https://twitter.com/VengerSatanis/status/1404112032715190273

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I feel like I haven't seen the term "cry-bully" for about fifty years.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Well. Venger Satanis has showed up to support me. I have clearly done something wrong."

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

spectralent posted:

I feel like I haven't seen the term "cry-bully" for about fifty years.

The concept is still a valid one, but I have no idea what specific thing he's referring to here. And he won't provide an example.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/VengerSatanis/status/1404113651020206082

"Anti-racism is bad because it's an extreme." Don't do black magick, kids. It makes you stupid.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Congratulations! We've found the dumbest possible take

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Froghammer posted:

Yeah, that's...that's Venger Satanis' whole bit. Both responsible for the rule of "you're not allowed to cast spells on people" on RPGnet and for being banned from there after he demanded people recognize he was transitioning into a attack helicopter tentacle monster in a conversation about queer rights. He's...[gestures vaguely] yeah.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Froghammer posted:

It's the same ol' horseshoe theory BS, pretending that centrism is some kind of enlightened, proper philosophy (the terms of which are entirely defined by whoever is claiming it at the time). The argument just has to be converted and squeezed into increasingly stupid and outrageous molds to try to remain relevant as fewer and fewer people accept its legitimacy. It is funny, though, that an edgelord-type like him would claim any extreme is bad and that, in fact, proper discourse is centered, neutral, and inoffensive to his delicate sensibilities. [edit: But I guess he's really more just about saying whatever the hell opposes what he sees progressives claiming or doing.]

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

You know what's just as bad as thinking that brown people are genetically inferior? Thinking that I'm a bad person for thinking that.

Reeeeeeeally makes you think

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JMBosch posted:

It's the same ol' horseshoe theory BS, pretending that centrism is some kind of enlightened, proper philosophy (the terms of which are entirely defined by whoever is claiming it at the time). The argument just has to be converted and squeezed into increasingly stupid and outrageous molds to try to remain relevant as fewer and fewer people accept its legitimacy. It is funny, though, that an edgelord-type like him would claim any extreme is bad and that, in fact, proper discourse is centered, neutral, and inoffensive to his delicate sensibilities. [edit: But I guess he's really more just about saying whatever the hell opposes what he sees progressives claiming or doing.]

Nah it’s not a centrism thing. He argues further down in that chain that anti-racism is actually racism against white people. He’s just being an idiot edgy shitlord as always.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
He's an edgy piece of trash to cover for how desperate he is for validation.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Arivia posted:

Nah it’s not a centrism thing. He argues further down in that chain that anti-racism is actually racism against white people. He’s just being an idiot edgy shitlord as always.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's an edgy piece of trash to cover for how desperate he is for validation.
Well, the joke's on me, I guess, for assuming a reactionary might use just enough good faith to actually present an argument they believe first. Instead, it's just what they usually do: pretending to have BS centrists views as just a cover or introduction for their honest, even more horrendous beliefs.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://twitter.com/VengerSatanis/status/1404164648824365061

"Please stop talking about Ben's wife's vagina."

"I will if he does."

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God what a loving loser.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

His entire thing has always been trying to grift assholes with "shocking" material and outrage, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This article from The Onion is never not relevant when it comes to wannabe agent provocateurs.

https://www.theonion.com/marilyn-manson-now-going-door-to-door-trying-to-shock-p-1819565904