Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I said that poorly too. the Signal guy definitely could have received the stolen package and, in good faith, posted all of that. he could be a really nice and well-intentioned guy in all of this, i think there’s scope for it. the capture of the means for technology occurs at a much higher level, is what I wanted to point out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i sort of have to hang on to the hope that maybe there's a decent person out there trying to do something good or else its just full black pill

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Josh Christ posted:

i sort of have to hang on to the hope that maybe there's a decent person out there trying to do something good or else its just full black pill

I feel u and I def was too critical, that’s why I wanted to clarify that this totally can still be good. I think a lot of people are growing aware of the issues with bigger institutions hovering over and gatekeeping tech, esp mass tech, and can change how they think of solutions or the channels solutions “must” take regarding funding and legitimation. the signal guy handing out masks to interfere with facial recognition, for example, is deeply good imo

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

you know what’s really funny?

the Clinton kill list

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1404020849217310724?s=21

👁️

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That is a hell of a coincidence. :\

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

correct there was never any proof that NK had anything to do with it.

you know what’s really funny?

the Clinton kill list

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1404020849217310724?s=21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1tyybVuSBU

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I can't remember if Zika being used to cover-up birth deformities tied to pesticide overuse in Brazil has been posted about in here yet, but I thought I'd effort post a little because I think it is a really interesting case study to look at the consolidation of mainstream opinion via academia when the conclusions are prematurely accepted as fact.

Really brief literature backgrounder

This is probably too short of a scientific summary, but my goal is to convince you that insecticide use is relevant in trying to understand the Zika microcephaly outbreak. The history of the literature is very push-pull, with I believe the biggest paper implicating the pesticide pyriproxyfen in microcephaly around the Brazilian Zika locus being https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5760164/

Parens et al. in the abstract posted:

Pyriproxifen is a juvenile hormone analog which has been shown to correspond in mammals to a number of fat soluble regulatory molecules including retinoic acid, a metabolite of vitamin A, with which it has cross-reactivity and whose application during development has been shown to cause microcephaly. Methoprene, another juvenile hormone analog that was approved as an insecticide based upon tests performed in the 1970s, has metabolites that bind to the mammalian retinoid X receptor, and has been shown to cause developmental disorders in mammals. Isotretinoin is another example of a retinoid causing microcephaly in human babies via maternal exposure and activation of the retinoid X receptor in developing fetuses. Moreover, tests of pyriproxyfen by the manufacturer, Sumitomo, widely quoted as giving no evidence for developmental toxicity, actually found some evidence for such an effect, including low brain mass and arhinencephaly—incomplete formation of the anterior cerebral hemispheres—in exposed rat pups. Finally, the pyriproxyfen use in Brazil is unprecedented—it has never before been applied to a water supply on such a scale. Claims that it is not being used in Recife, the epicenter of microcephaly cases, do not distinguish the metropolitan area of Recife, where it is widely used, and the municipality, and have not been adequately confirmed.

imo, the highest impact paper since this argument is by a CDC research team and published in the Lancet Child and Adolescent Health, which argues only Zika infections (some presumed based on self-report or zika-like symptoms along pregnancy) explain microcephaly in the same region https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(18)30020-8/fulltext#tbl4

My biggest critique of this insistence that Zika alone explains the birth deformities (aside from the critiques in the abstract section I posted above) is that the CDC study relies on self-report regarding "toxin exposure". I assume most people would not know if they were exposed, but maybe that's just me!

Krow-Lucal et al. posted:

Mothers of both cases and controls were asked about their demographics, pregnancy, potential exposures, and illnesses during pregnancy. Potential exposures inquired about included medications, toxins (eg, pesticides), water and fish consumption, and smoking and alcohol use.
In defense of the study, they sought to provide up to 2 "control" babies matched by geography (to the same barrio/municipality). With this limited approach to non-Zika factors like toxins, I'd say this paper does a good job of implicating Zika, but a poor job of discounting alternatives.

Last year, a paper was submitted to BioRxiv with an interesting take that ignores the either-or of the history of this literature. Now keep in mind bioRxiv is a pre-print site, so these papers are publicly accessible while they are submitted to peer-reviewed journals. As such, this specific form of the paper has not been peer-reviewed and won't have been until it appears in whatever journal publishes it with review modifications. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.03.366468v1.abstract

Spirhanzlova et al. posted:

North-Eastern Brazil saw intensive application of the insecticide pyriproxyfen (PPF) during the microcephaly outbreak caused by Zika virus (ZIKV)....Being a suspected TH [thyroid hormone] disruptor, we hypothesized that co-exposure to the main metabolite of PPF, 4’-OH-PPF, would exacerbate ZIKV effects through increased MSI1 [Musashi-1] expression...In mouse-derived neurospheres the metabolite reduced neuroprogenitor proliferation as well as markers of neuronal differentiation. The results demonstrated that 4’-OH-PPF significantly induced MSI1 at both the mRNA and protein level...intracellular RNA content of neuroprogenitors was significantly decreased in the combined presence of the PPF metabolite and ZIKV. We conclude that 4’-OH-PPF interferes with TH action in vivo and in vitro, inhibiting neuroprogenitor proliferation. In the presence of ZIKV, TH signaling pathways crucial for cortical development are significantly impacted. This provides another example of viral effects that are exacerbated by drug or pesticide use.

This study is limited by using artificial mouse neurospheres (balls of the progenitors to brain cells in dishes) and transgenic tadpoles, but imo it is pretty smart to look at synergism between the two biggest factors purported to have caused Zika, especially when the earlier two studies I mentioned above are designed to really only isolate the single "most" important factor at the detriment of their ability to test alternatives. But, I guess we will see if these conclusions change by publication.

The Messaging

That's some of the major science up to the present behind the Zika outbreak. I wanted to try and be fair with presenting it to mainly underline that PPF is still highly relevant to the conversation. With meaningful evidence of PPF involvement, let us now, for fun, look backwards to earlier/concurrent papers that sought to discount toxin involvement without question. Often, PPF is discounted by adding it to a list of easily discounted conspiracy terms, so it is interesting to see how these statements hold up with growing evidence of PPF effects on brain development.

Zika vaccine misconceptions: A social media analysis (2016)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5065070/

Dredze et al., 2016 posted:

...Uncertainty regarding the origin, transmission and health consequences of the Zika virus has created a fertile environment for conspiracy theories and pseudo-scientific claims. These theories emerged in social media, an active forum for the vaccine refusal community [2], and have made their way to the mainstream media (e.g. “Brazil State Bans Pesticide After Zika Claim” in The Wall Street Journal)....

...Physicians and public health officials must begin to address patient concerns and debunk nonscientific claims now...

...Monsanto, ranked as the “third most-hated company in America,” has been previously accused of such things as poisoning the environment and threatening farmers [4]. Thus, the story that it is not the Zika virus, but pyriproxyfen, a mosquito larvacide allegedly made by Monsanto, that led to microcephaly among infants, was readily believable to people who already view Monsanto negatively. (Monsanto does not make the larvicide in question [as quoted above, PPF is made by Sumitomo], nor has evidence linked larvicide to the microcephaly cases)....

...Public health officials must get out in front of the conspiracy theorists to educate and influence the population now. Research must assess subgroups of the population to determine their varying cognitive decision-making styles about vaccination, in order to appropriately target messages that will resonate with each group...

Zika virus pandemic-analysis of Facebook as a social media health information platform (2017)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27776823/

Sharma et al. posted:

...The top-200 posts were selected for analysis by 2 independent physician reviewers. These posts were classified as relevant information/news or misleading information. The classification was based on the quality of scientific information, emphasis on prevention, and citation of credible sources....

...The video alleged that birth defects like microcephaly were due to larvicidal chemicals rather than the arbovirus and the disease is a conspiracy construed by multinational chemical conglomerates. These unfounded rumor mongering and conspiracy theory posts were more popular than the posts disseminating accurate information. This kind of misinformation can be harmful because it builds on existing narratives, blocking measures that deal with the pandemic. For example, similar pseudoscientific misinformation led to a ban on pesticides in Brazil that was counterintuitive to stopping the spread of Zika virus....

Conspiracy Theories and the Zika Epidemic (2018)
https://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/is_fac/21/

Shawn Smallman posted:

...The personal/public narratives put forth through social media typically blame the virus’s outbreak and the ensuing appearance of birth defects upon a diverse array of actors: Bill Gates, Oxitec, the Rockefeller Foundation, Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs), Monsanto, the Eugenics Movement, pharmaceutical companies, the World Health Organization, transnational companies,and theDTaP vaccine...

...In social media, authors suggested that in some parts of Brazil, Pyriproxyfen had been added to water supplies beginning in 2014...

...Overall, the conspiracy theories regarding both Oxitec and Pyriproxyfen suggested that the science designed to protect people’s health [pesticides are designed to protect people's health???] was itself the cause of the outbreak...

Propagating and Debunking Conspiracy Theories on Twitter During the 2015–2016 Zika Virus Outbreak (2018)
https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/cyber.2017.0669

Michael J. Wood posted:

...Rumors are a consistent feature of social life. As a sense-making process, they can reduce anxiety and uncertainty, and help people to come to grips with unfamiliar situations.1 Of course, this comes at a cost—some rumors are nothing more than gossip, some may be co-opted for propaganda purposes, and many others are simply wrong...

...One theory is that the virus is a bioweapon rather than a natural occurrence. Another is that the virus is actually harmless and the microcephaly epidemic is instead caused by pesticides, genetically modified mosquitoes, or vaccine side effects...

[here is the twitter search made to collect the data for this study]

...Surprisingly, and contrary to predictions, propagator tweets also made more explicit references to sources for their claims. A great deal of these referred to a single entity: Physicians in the Crop-Sprayed Towns (PCST), an Argentine anti-pesticide activist group alleging that the mosquito larvicide Pyriproxyfen was the true case of the microcephaly outbreak.24 This version of the insecticide conspiracy theory was very popular...

I think this is a good example, also, of how academics who even believe they are doing the right thing and good work compromise themselves by not questioning the basis of their study, particularly when it comes to "classifying" these messages as true or false and then doing all your analysis from there.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

nut posted:

Zika being used to cover-up birth deformities tied to pesticide overuse in Brazil
:aaaaa:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

nut posted:

lol sorry I was more just referring to them coming into it by any means, not having to buy the "truck drop" story. As I mentioned before, I am too ignorant to have a meaningful opinion on tech, but I don't have meaningful faith in pretty much any tech that has to be constructed via governmental and corporate channels. Like AoB just said, throughout society, institutions of power have the critical hand in constructing both a good guy and bad guy narrative that act like magnets to suck up all the opinions and people around them. Seemingly little can exist let alone succeed outside of it.

reminds me of this tweet that I think encompasses even more than intended (the usual kantbot and friends warnings about them being crazy [if u follow this thread u will see logo has argued gamergate was an op] etc etc)
https://twitter.com/Logo_Daedalus/status/1389668025310326785?s=20

https://twitter.com/Logo_Daedalus/status/1389668435773243393

:shepface:

nut
Jul 30, 2019

lol i thought of u when i very specifically isolated just the first tweet for interpretation

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Tubgoat posted:

it’s a fuckin absolute coincidence. some guy wrote a kinda nasty story that didn’t really matter 5 years ago. then he died. why would anyone jump to KKKILLED BY THE KKKLINTONS ?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Tubgoat posted:

Mental health is so important.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

LibCrusher posted:

it’s a fuckin absolute coincidence. some guy wrote a kinda nasty story that didn’t really matter 5 years ago. then he died. why would anyone jump to KKKILLED BY THE KKKLINTONS ?

lol. lmao

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

fukken crushed, lib

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LibCrusher posted:

I love giving the clintons the benefit of the doubt

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
hilldawg never misses

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

I love giving the clintons the benefit of the doubt

He was obviously just saying that it couldnt have been the clintons when it was so clearly the hollow earth nazis cleaning up loose ends of a failed infiltration project, you know something much more reasonable than giving the woman who took her husband back because he bombed Yugoslavia the benefit of the doubt.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

clinton is a brand thats had, what, billions invested in it? like cmon friend it does not have to be hillary plotting by candle light to hire an assassin its loving business. MADDONE!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
how glorious to be kkkillary'ed... the honor, the ecstasy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
tbh the one reason I'd ever be a journalist was because it'd own to look up one day and see some fuckin Clinton Foundation pedophile aiming a gun at my head. It's one of the rare times when your last words can be 'lol sweet'.

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

tbh the one reason I'd ever be a journalist was because it'd own to look up one day and see some fuckin Clinton Foundation pedophile aiming a gun at my head. It's one of the rare times when your last words can be 'lol sweet'.

You misunderstand, the deceased are simply the unworthy, each hit issued is not an act of aggression but rather an invitation. Those that fail to meet the call consumed in the process, so much coal to further refine the steel of another, those that meet their assassin and claim their blade are not hunted, on the contrary they are celebrated and are in turn given their own coal to fuel their refinement.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ace of Baes posted:

the limited hangout narratives and exposures, like bill Clinton's neighbors Netflix doc, are designed to be ran alongside the q/re disinfo to create two parallel narratives along partisan lines while also creating enough signifiers to ensure anyone trying to create an actual account of even the basics will be dismissed by either kind of partisan

For example, obviously there are celebrities involved with the international pedophile cabal, but the right wing focuses super heavily with a bunch of outlandish claims about specific celebs, this is part of the dershowitz/cernovich/falun gong/8chan etc right-wing/fed disinfo campaign, and as a result trying to talk to any lib about celebrity or music industry or Hollywood connections beyond maybe obvious ones like Weinstein will get you dismissed as a q person

Nailed it. Broad strokes, QAnon was right: there are circles of elites who at the very least incorporate pedophilia into their parties and get togethers, and there is a military industrial complex "deep state" that is separate from the visible levers of power in the US and world. The details were pure right wing distraction to make people who talk about the actual facts seem like loons. That's a big reason why I think QAnon was an op, even if not from the start.

This also happens in the UFO community. There are literal unidentified objects flying in the sky. Hell, I was a member of a group sighting of a big one on a 6th grade field trip. There is good, solid research being done by dedicated, hard working people, like Richard Dolan and Stan Friedman, RIP.

Then you get the guys ranting about space Jews and nazi space bases in Antarctica making any legit research look crazy by association.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

OutOfPrint posted:

dedicated, hard working people, like Richard Dolan and Stan Friedman, RIP.

oh no :ohno:

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004

nut posted:

I can't remember if Zika being used to cover-up birth deformities tied to pesticide overuse in Brazil

Incredible post in the best thread on the internet

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Pull up, pull up!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

LibCrusher posted:

he embarassed her, insulted her family, and wrote one of the many stories throughout american media that have made america hate the Clinton family, which is enough

the clinton death list absolutely has some coincidences on it, but how many coincidences does somebody gotta have before you admit it's getting suspicious?

the purpose of killing these people is very obvious: to keep people talking about it. to make sure people are aware that being on the wrong side of the Clintons is dangerous, and to show how obvious they can be about it.

The Clintons want America to know that they are The Ruling Class, even if Hillary doesn't get Her Turn.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Jun 13, 2021

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/flossfurman/status/1271613235221987329?s=19

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/flossfurman/status/1271623819921436673?s=19

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

They are (and were) dedicated and hard working, and neither of them fall into the anti-semite hole and both are at least not knowingly compromised. If you're looking for detailed, comprehensive research into UFO sightings, there are far worse sources.

Once they get outside of that research and into their ideas, though, yeah, that's where they get nutty.

Unless I missed something and one or both if them are pedophiles, in which case, yeah, just ignore everything I wrote about them.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

OutOfPrint posted:

Nailed it. Broad strokes, QAnon was right: there are circles of elites who at the very least incorporate pedophilia into their parties and get togethers, and there is a military industrial complex "deep state" that is separate from the visible levers of power in the US and world. The details were pure right wing distraction to make people who talk about the actual facts seem like loons. That's a big reason why I think QAnon was an op, even if not from the start.

This also happens in the UFO community. There are literal unidentified objects flying in the sky. Hell, I was a member of a group sighting of a big one on a 6th grade field trip. There is good, solid research being done by dedicated, hard working people, like Richard Dolan and Stan Friedman, RIP.

Then you get the guys ranting about space Jews and nazi space bases in Antarctica making any legit research look crazy by association.

Right in principle, wrong on detail

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

OutOfPrint posted:

They are (and were) dedicated and hard working, and neither of them fall into the anti-semite hole and both are at least not knowingly compromised. If you're looking for detailed, comprehensive research into UFO sightings, there are far worse sources.

Once they get outside of that research and into their ideas, though, yeah, that's where they get nutty.

Unless I missed something and one or both if them are pedophiles, in which case, yeah, just ignore everything I wrote about them.

i dont have a ton of argument with what youve said here so theres no reason to go cracking eggs but if you want to come over to the ufo thread where its more relevant

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i dont have a ton of argument with what youve said here so theres no reason to go cracking eggs but if you want to come over to the ufo thread where its more relevant

For me it's that Stanton defended the MJ12 papers until his dying day despite all the circumstantial evidence. Some real engineer brain imo.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

tithin posted:

Right in principle, wrong on detail

The entire project of the right is blaming all the ills of modernity on people not wanting to be peasants so deciding that the horrific abuses of power that characterize the dictatorship of the bourgeois are actually just the fault of the people marginally less reactionary than them is perfectly in character

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/TrumpJew2/status/1403950963719868417

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, this is going to be a little scattershot, because "Nixon's removal was a deep state coup" has been rolling around in my head for a while, but there's no way to talk about it except to talk about it, so here it goes.

Yes, I was referring to Mark Felt, otherwise known as "Deep Throat". He was the guy drip-feeding information to Woodward and Bernstein about the Watergate break-in, specifically how to trace and track the trail of money from the Plumbers back to John Mitchell, Nixon's lawyer, and from Mitchell back to the White House.

Even in Watergate histories that didn't try to portray Felt as the Robert Mueller of the 1970s, the most I ever heard of his background was that he was senior leadership in the FBI, and that he was passed over for promotion, and this was the reason why he decided to rat-out Nixon. That's a load of BS, of course, having reduced a Presidential impeachment to the level of petty office politics, but I just never looked further into it until today. For the guy who ran what's possibly the largest domestic intelligence operation in the country (at least up until that point) to also be the guy who left a trail of breadcrumbs that would lead to Nixon's ouster? Come on.

___

The other thread I want to pull at is James W. McCord, one of the Plumbers that was involved in the Watergate break-in.

McCord wrote a letter to Judge John Sirica in March of 1973 in which he categorically denied that the break-in was a CIA operation. And I quote "I know for a fact that it was not." - this was a "bombshell" moment in the Watergate investigation because Nixon's plan for the cover-up (the cover-up that he was impeached for) was to have the FBI stop investigating the break-in on the basis that it was a CIA operation, and therefore had to be left alone for reasons of national security. McCord having denied it, the story no longer held water, and the investigation continued.

Setting aside the basic logical inference that the only way McCord could have known it "for a fact" would be if he had some direct insider knowledge about what the CIA was or wasn't doing... McCord actually was a CIA officer! He joined the FBI in 1948 working in San Diego and San Francisco, and then in 1951 joined the CIA. In 1962 he was assigned to Europe, where he was posted to the "Physical Security" division - McCord was apparently very good at lockpicking and working with security systems.

By 1970, McCord retires with a commendation after 25 faithful years of Federal service at the age of just 46 years old... and then just two years later floats back into The Game working for the Commitee to RE-Elect the President, CREEP, where his expertise in "Physical Security" is tapped by the Plumbers for him to be their main break-in guy.

[Aside: in 1961, McCord headed up a counter-intelligence operation against the Fair Play for Cuba Committee. This is a link to JFK and Cuban emigres, since Lee Harvey Oswald was a member of the Committee]

I make a point to highlight McCord's expertise in physical security, because the specific timeline of the break-in (for reference, June 17, 1972) tends to cast some aspersions on it:

1. McCord goes into the Watergate hotel while it's still open, and puts tape on the stairwell doors so that they won't lock (and therefore the team can pass through them later unobstructed). He placed the tape horizontally across the latch, which meant it could have been seen from the outside.

2. Later that evening, the team goes into the hotel for the actual break-in, only to find that the doors were locked - someone must have found the tape (because McCord placed in a way that it could be found) and removed it.

3. The Plumbers go all the way back across the street to their hideout because they think the operation has been blown. McCord insists, over everyone else's objections, to go back in that same unit, with one of the Plumbers to pick the locks.

4. The team goes back into the hotel... except as E Howard Hunt and the Cubans will testify, McCord disappears for five minutes to do... something that neither they nor he has ever admitted to. The team puts another round of tape on the door latch so that it'll stay unlocked for McCord when he comes back.

5. McCord comes back, and they pointed ask him if he removed the tape on his way back. He replies in the affirmative.

6. McCord asks the team to turn off their walkie-talkies, because there's apparently too much static on the line.

7. Security guard Frank Willis discovers the tape, which McCord apparently did NOT remove, and calls for police.

8. The police arrive not five minutes later, and the team is arrested.

It doesn't follow that someone who's worked as a security specialist for over a decade would also make so many mistakes in the execution of this mission.

These are by no means the only inconsistencies with McCord and the CIA, but these are the ones I really wanted to get into, because it has all the makings of a set-up, regardless of everything else that came (for everything else, I point to Carl Oglesby's "The Cowboy and Yankee War")

___

Finally, and what first set me on this path, was this somewhat anodyne passage in Tim Weiner's "One Man Against the World: The Tragedy of Richard Nixon":

That says May 11 when Haig reads these so-called "memcons" from the current CIA director. The year would be 1973. May 11, 1973 - the CIA director types up a series of memoranda that documents all the conversations that Vernon Walters had with Haldeman and Ehrlichmann, including the White-House-hatched plan for a cover-up by using the CIA to shield the break-in from the FBI.

Now, if you check the timeline of the Watergate investigations, it wouldn't be until July 13, 1973, some two months later, when White House staffer Alexander Butterfield would reveal that there was a taping system installed in the White House.

Three days after that, Archibald Cox subpoenas the tapes, and thus begins the long legal battle to acquire them.

The first transcripts of the tapes wouldn't be released until April 29, 1974, almost a year later. Three months later, on July 24, 1974, the Supreme Court rules that the tapes can't be protected by executive privilege. Nixon releases the tapes to the public six days after the ruling.

On August 5, 1974, the White House releases what would be known as "The Smoking Gun" tape, which describes the cover-up plans in detail, when it was being discussed back in June of 1972. The contents of this tape would be the thing that allegedly sealed Nixon's fate by confirming that there was a cover-up.

... but Congress had already known about this for over a year! CIA Director Walters sent them the memcons in May 1973, and then in August 1974 they find proof of a cover-up in the tapes, but the CIA had already provided them with an accounting of the cover-up in writing. Congress had to have known what they needed to look for in order to sell the story to the public, because the CIA already told them about it!

Thank you for this effort post

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cached Money posted:

I know the concept of end to end encryption is hard to understand but try to understand that it is way easier to hack someone's phone than it is to break the encryption itself

edit: also signal is fully open source so it's not really possible to hide back doors in it
Signal has repeatedly made it to app/play stores with zero-day vulnerabilities that I've seen demonstrated. I can't imagine anyone short of state actors being able to covertly insert them and get so many of them through to clients. This includes one that allows a message to someone with the desktop client to allow full filesystem access.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

So uh what
https://twitter.com/politicalwilli/...ingawful.com%2F

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

agents provocateurs are the bread-and-butter of counter-intelligence work against establishment-hostile, yet peaceful, protests. this twitter thread isn't enough for me to say anything with certainty but it certainly wouldn't be the first nor the last time

https://theintercept.com/2020/06/02/history-united-states-government-infiltration-protests/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

my favorite historical example was that in Russia the head of the socialist-revolutionary assassination squads was a paid agent for the secret police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

StashAugustine posted:

my favorite historical example was that in Russia the head of the socialist-revolutionary assassination squads was a paid agent for the secret police.

I think that was more of his own personal motivation and desire than it was an elaborate strategy, it just worked well because obviously he had a ton of street cred with the other revolutionaries which was very valuable to the tsar relative to the random ministers, cops, and military officers that he was killing/having killed.