Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

CYBEReris posted:

I don't get what FFXIV would be deficient in there, it has more "means and motive" and connective tissue than a lot of even single player Final Fantasy games did.

The Warrior of Light may be, while barely speaking a single word, one of the best fleshed out Final Fantasy protagonists with the most easily understood motives for why they have a penchant for going on very enthusiastic walks through dangerous places and aggressively helping the piss out of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gearhead posted:

The Warrior of Light may be, while barely speaking a single word, one of the best fleshed out Final Fantasy protagonists with the most easily understood motives for why they have a penchant for going on very enthusiastic walks through dangerous places and aggressively helping the piss out of people.

https://twitter.com/CanonWoLQuotes/status/1343681641584197633

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The story is good once you're 100 hours in and you get to the third expansion's content has real Mary McElroy vibes.

piL fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 13, 2021

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Gearhead posted:

I feel like we needed some kind of a hook for our character to tease us with why we're here, instead of just 'Hello, I landed from space and have a talent for kicking rear end. Point me towards your enemy.'

There's quite a number of unanswered questions in the plot and setting, but I think a significant amount of it may be lost on people who didn't play PSO2's plot to completion. NGS doesn't explicitly ask these questions, but they are still there:

1. Who are we? Are we the still the Guardian from PSO2 that defeated the Primordial Darkness and saved reality? If so, why are we here now? If not, why do we look the same? It's possible the game won't bother to answer this one.
2. What's up with Halpha? It's obviously artificial. Is it even a real planet, or are we stuck on some weird colony ship and don't even know it? It doesn't look like the ARKS in NGS are spacefaring at all. Are they even related to the ARKS of PSO2? What about that big spiral thing in the sky over the lake?
3. What even are the DOLLS? Are they related to the Meteorn? Speaking of, if Manon remembers things, what exactly does she remember?

I could go on, but my point here is that there's plenty of hooks and teases if you know where to look. If you're totally new to PSO2 though? Well then it probably is missing a lot of context.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CYBEReris posted:

I don't get what FFXIV would be deficient in there, it has more "means and motive" and connective tissue than a lot of even single player Final Fantasy games did.

Maybe in the expansions but the base level 1-50 game kinda sucks.
Classic case of "just play 200 hours and i swear it starts to be less boring" jrpg disease.

Surprise Noodle posted:

1. Who are we? Are we the still the Guardian from PSO2 that defeated the Primordial Darkness and saved reality? If so, why are we here now? If not, why do we look the same? It's possible the game won't bother to answer this one.

I still have no idea the true meaning of this is but apparently this important story spoiler is a random urgent quest with no level or story prerequisites
I did it about a day before the NGS maint on my lovely level 60 pso2 character while trying to get the "do 7 UQs before NGS release to get bunny ears" thing at the last second, and then had some probably-important cutscenes that I didn't understand at all
also there was time travel?????!?

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 13, 2021

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I still have no idea the true meaning of this is but apparently this important story spoiler is a random urgent quest with no level or story prerequisites

The very bare bones version of this is: The universe failed to implode due to paradox because waifus saved all creation.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Maybe in the expansions but the base level 1-50 game kinda sucks.
Classic case of "just play 200 hours and i swear it starts to be less boring" jrpg disease.

there's plenty of interesting things that happen in the arr narrative that provide motivation and structure to what you're doing. it has the feel of a low-level d&d campaign where you have one big overarching goal at a time that's constantly being interrupted by smaller arcs that happen in the vicinity and enhance the purpose, urgency, or meaning of the larger goal. you're still relatively unknown to the world during ARR but the things you do resonate with what you do in later expansions and make them stronger for it.

i won't defend the arr patch pace though, especially before it got streamlined

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I can see a lot of people falling off xiv just because of how long it takes to get from the end of ARR to HW. They've cut a lot of cruft out of the journey to Praetorum, but afterwards it's just a bunch of plot that I wonder how new people take because you're out of the whole "learning to play the game" section, but yet to where they really start nailing the story down. And like, I'm not really sure what, if any, of that should be cut because you get a lot of characters and see a lot of Alphinaud's growth as a character in these parts that informs what happens later on. It gives me real "okay, the first 50 episodes of this show are a drag but I swear it gets better later" feelings when trying to recommend the game to new people.

So far what I've seen in PSO2 is somehow even more generically anime and the weird plastic models for the NPCs are doing it no favors. Portable 2 and Zero both had similar stories for the player character showing up out of nowhere/a drop pod and didn't feel anywhere near as bland and as fake as this.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

both games have boring stories but in pso2ng i can slide around on my knees firing a machine gun

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Lots of people confusing “story is bad” with “is a game I don’t like” ITT. ARR does drag if what you want isn’t a pretty slow paced game designed to teach you how mmos work if you aren’t familiar with the genre at all.

Commenting on the story of a game you haven’t played is real weird, but saying it was too boring to get to anything good is a legit criticism.

Also never engage with stux how has nobody learned this yet

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Lots of people confusing “story is bad” with “is a game I don’t like” ITT. ARR does drag if what you want isn’t a pretty slow paced game designed to teach you how mmos work if you aren’t familiar with the genre at all.

Commenting on the story of a game you haven’t played is real weird, but saying it was too boring to get to anything good is a legit criticism.

Also never engage with stux how has nobody learned this yet

i like the game of ff14. the story is bad.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
e; nevermind I dont wanna engage that way

Rockstar Massacre fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 13, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

As someone whos only played an hour of it six years ago, I’ve heard tons of people say FFXIV has one of the best stories in the FF series, including my friends. And I believe in my friends. That means that the story is good.
It’s also not PSO though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kortel posted:

Leveling battle power is a pain in the rear end. Why not just lock this behind player level instead? Need 1100 battle power for the next portion of the quest line and I'm stuck at 971.
GUESS I'LL GO MINE SOME ORE.

Because people going into Ultra Hard EQs with ungrinded Nox weapons was loving awful

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Because people going into Ultra Hard EQs with ungrinded Nox weapons was loving awful

And when asked why they're running around with that poo poo when you can get a decent 14* for less than 5k, they just go "I'm poor :("

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How do I do the thing where a picture of my character pops up and says text?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

fadam posted:

How do I do the thing where a picture of my character pops up and says text?

https://ohpso2.fandom.com/wiki/Chat_Commands

Either with a /prefix before your message or I think you can press shift+enter to get some options.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Gearhead posted:

No way. The XIV protag is a complete non-character and it's the worst thing about the game. XIV fanboys just have brain worms.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You can also do cutins and other stuff by clicking the buttons below the chat box

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a way to get it the cuts to happen automatically?

Edit: ah I just found the menu option, thanks all!

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

fadam posted:

Is there a way to get it the cuts to happen automatically?

...Like for everything you say all the time?

best I can say is C+P your favorite one and use it before you start typing.

I guess they also work in auto chat, if that's a feature you actually use.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm upset there's no claws or slicers for weapons and I can't be a Motavian owlman or Dezolian green man.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm upset there's no claws or slicers for weapons and I can't be a Motavian owlman or Dezolian green man.

I always imagine a Monster Hunter -ish PSO3 set in the Motavian desert a ways after the end of the original series, we're all in the Hunter's Guild trying to fight off giant sandworms before they earthquake us to death, poking around in the climate control systems sometimes because the environment is still a little hosed up, maybe an expansion takes us to Dezolis eventually so we can do similar stuff in the snow.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SuperKlaus posted:

Sadly the only "claw" I remember are the Nei Claws, which were a weapon camo for Wired Lances.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

It's easy to forget that Nei could also equip steel bars, which I always figured were like crowbars or something. Girl just loving nailing people in the face with a pair of crowbars until she could afford claws.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Nemo2342 posted:

Sadly the only "claw" I remember are the Nei Claws, which were a weapon camo for Wired Lances.

Claws have been in the games since PS 1, but in PSO they were a very short range and hard hitting melee weapon. ... And now I'm having flashbacks to the alt character I created and dragged all the way into ultimate just to farm Love Rappies for a Heart of Poumn.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Delsaber posted:

It's easy to forget that Nei could also equip steel bars, which I always figured were like crowbars or something. Girl just loving nailing people in the face with a pair of crowbars until she could afford claws.

girl had it right early on, blades're boring :colbert:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I always figured they were like bastons or eskrima sticks, since she uses two.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Carmant posted:

No way. The XIV protag is a complete non-character and it's the worst thing about the game. XIV fanboys just have brain worms.

isn't there a gamefaqs board you could argue this poo poo on instead of here

SuperKlaus posted:

If you look at like..PSU/Portable and PSO2 OGS, you could make a case that Wired Lance is Twin Claw + Whips and Talis (and Hero Talis) kinda got muddled from Cards and Slicers. At least we got Neiclaw and Falclaw (Rika)..

Hogama posted:

I always figured they were like bastons or eskrima sticks, since she uses two.

I imagined her putting them between her fingers like glowsticks at an idol concert

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I'd love it if NGS could give us claws that look like what Nei and Rika had in some of the weirder pieces of old box and promotional art, where they're these massive mechanical things that kinda take over an entire arm like a Borg attachment or something

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Delsaber posted:

I'd love it if NGS could give us claws that look like what Nei and Rika had in some of the weirder pieces of old box and promotional art, where they're these massive mechanical things that kinda take over an entire arm like a Borg attachment or something

They did, but its a Gunslash which will be wildly outdated when they add the weapon class to NGS in a year.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yeah, that kind of almost environmental storytelling is something I haven’t encountered since. I was really disappointed that none of the following PS games continued the trend. I guess it’s hard when the setting is populated with a lot of people, though.

Another thing old-school PSO had going for it was that all of the maps felt connected and transitioned smoothly into each other in time with the story. PSO2 felt like it was trying to tell a similar story with the same plot beats (corrupted wildlife, government conspiracy and experimentation, ruins that aren't what they seem, etc.), but I'm guessing they felt the show-don't-tell storytelling that worked so well in the previous installment was only due to technical limitations and as a result they went way, way overboard with the cutscenes and lore. It feels like a hundred hours of my current playtime was just cutscenes, which exacerbates the weaker parts of the storytelling.

The maps in PSO2 look nice and are fun enough, but just don't have the character that the old maps have. I still remember stuff like the waterfall room in Caves 2, the shaft leading to the surface in Ruins 1, the windowed room in Ruins 2 where you find out what it really is, and that long, long corridor right before the final room. It might be because there's more map variety but nothing like that sticks in my memory for any of the PSO2 maps. I'm hopeful that New Genesis is better about this with the open world approach, and while I haven't made much progress due to the lag so far I'm impressed with it.

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I'll also always respect PSO2 for having a plot that tried to give a sense of narrative purpose to the endless joblike repetition that is a themepark-MMO, even if it wasn't really effective and paring it down for later consumption was probably the right call.

I can't remember if it was in episode 2 or 3, but they retconned in a story reason for groups of four hunters continuously going in and beating up Dark Falz/Olga Flow over and over again. Honestly I think the way they did it in episode 1 and 2 was the best, where the actual main character is an NPC you're following and dealing with the aftermath of what they've been through. It allows for way more characterization than making my : | dude the lead where every dialogue choice is the same, has no effect on the story, and sounds downright weird since it's a grown-rear end man saying generic teenage anime protagonist lines. I don't even like Matoi, so making her into a love interest just feels off.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 14, 2021

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Surprise Noodle posted:

2. What's up with Halpha? It's obviously artificial. Is it even a real planet, or are we stuck on some weird colony ship and don't even know it?

Don't even joke about this. I don't think i can handle a return of "THIS CITY IS TOO EVIL TO LEAVE STANDING RAAAAAA"

...i hope dark falz pops out of a box.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MR. J posted:

Don't even joke about this. I don't think i can handle a return of "THIS CITY IS TOO EVIL TO LEAVE STANDING RAAAAAA"

...i hope dark falz pops out of a box.

Mieu has been looking after everyone's kids for a long time now

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I played a few hours and am totally unenthused, and I don't know why. I played like 400+ hours of PSO2 across JP/NA servers, but this feels kind of...aimless I guess?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What are you gunners taking as a sub class, and are you bothering with multi weapons?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
From my alliance discord:

quote:

You take Gu sub if you want APPR(active pp recovery)
You take Fo sub if you want NPPR(Natural PP recovery)
You take Fi sub for more damage on downs
You take Hu sub if you want active super armors and a good amount of dmg reducs

Subclass options seem pretty limited in NGS, hard to mess up. I just one pointed almost everything in every class so they're all actually playable if I feel like changing up my playstyle. The only skill tree that I wasn't able to take literally every skill in was Techter.

I'm really liking Ra/Fo atm. Rifle has good AOE with the panzer dragoon lock-on and Launcher has a good single target PA while moving and the BEEG BEEM for when the boss is down. Fo sub gives back PP when something dies near you which is great during PSE burst grinding.

Is anything weak to Lightning in NGS? I feel like I've only seen weak to Ice or Fire.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 14, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ranger might be the only bad subclass unless you really wanna use launchers and something else. Oh boy status warding!!!

Also both current EQ bosses are weak to lightning, I think that's all though

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah I guess sub can also be used purely for multiweaponing as well. Think one of my gunner friends said they were thinking about trying Hu sub just to use Wired Lance's weapon action as a gap closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fadam posted:

What are you gunners taking as a sub class, and are you bothering with multi weapons?

i took hunter because the super armor active seemed useful. i don't bother with multi weapons, I don't see a point since the PA/Weapon Action/Passive toolkit is already pretty versatile. if someone comes up with a gimmick that looks fun i might try it out, idk. I'm guessing the best thing to look for on that front would be something that gives you a lot of vertical movement if anything like that currently exists since that's the one thing that seems to be a glaring omission.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 14, 2021