Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Omnicrom posted:

This article from The Onion is never not relevant when it comes to wannabe agent provocateurs.

https://www.theonion.com/marilyn-manson-now-going-door-to-door-trying-to-shock-p-1819565904

Interesting, everyone seems to agree Eminem just ate up his market share. This is from a Mad Magazine from around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Lemniscate Blue posted:

https://twitter.com/VengerSatanis/status/1404164648824365061

"Please stop talking about Ben's wife's vagina."

"I will if he does."

I like how his poor sentence choices makes it seem, at first glance, like he's saying you shoudl stop talking about Mrs. Shapiro's vagina because it's more polarized.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KingKalamari posted:

I like how his poor sentence choices makes it seem, at first glance, like he's saying you shoudl stop talking about Mrs. Shapiro's vagina because it's more polarized.
If it's so polarized why isn't Ben attracted to it?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Splicer posted:

hasn't been vaccinated yet

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Splicer posted:

Presumably they both have the same (right) polarity and are consequently mutually repellant.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Splicer posted:

It's polarized vertically so he can't see it when he's wearing his rose colored glasses.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Arivia posted:

Nah it’s not a centrism thing. He argues further down in that chain that anti-racism is actually racism against white people. He’s just being an idiot edgy shitlord as always.

That's not edgy idiot shitlording, that's an explicit white supremacist slogan; that's an extract from Bob Whitaker's mantra. Whole thing is transcribed here along with other references. He'd might as well have fuckin dropped the fourteen words.

He's not "just" being anything, he's laundering white supremacy to try and sink footholds into people's heads.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/IronPineapple_/status/1393627355130863617

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hating Star Wars. It has a strong pedigree from several of the people who acted in it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The tweet says "and" not "or"

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

There’s nothing wrong with hating Star Wars but if a white dude went out of his way to tell me that he hated Star Wars I would 100% expect the next words to come out of his mouth to involve “SJW” or “virtue signaling.”

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Also, if you hate Star Wars and people know that because they tried to engage with you about it and you just said “eh, not a fan,” that is not a problem. On the other hand, a whole lot of folks on the Internet who hate something also hate anyone liking the thing, which is much more problematic and tiresome for most things one can hate. (Actually important things to hate, like fascists, exempted, of course, but Star Wars is not that.)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, there's a big difference between disliking or even hating something and making that hatred your entire personality.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's also Against the Darkmaster, which is supposedly a very good MERP retroclone.
Having read it, can confirm. MERP was somewhat handcuffed by the need to remain mutually compatible with Rolemaster (since it was in part intended to onboard people onto that, or at least encourage people to get Rolemaster stuff to use in their MERP game), Against the Darkmaster has more freedom to be its own thing and manages to deliver the best bits of MERP/Rolemaster crunch without getting bogged down in minutiae, and throws in some really neat tools for emulating the type of fantasy fiction it's going for. (The "Darkmaster" of your campaign is something you design and which will have an impact on the type of opposition you come up against, for instance.)

I am shocked that the maker of an RPG that at least up to 5th edition still had a mind control spell called "Yassa Massa" would be in some respect racist.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

neongrey posted:

That's not edgy idiot shitlording, that's an explicit white supremacist slogan; that's an extract from Bob Whitaker's mantra. Whole thing is transcribed here along with other references. He'd might as well have fuckin dropped the fourteen words.

He's not "just" being anything, he's laundering white supremacy to try and sink footholds into people's heads.

I want to clarify my own position: he is absolutely a white supremacist piece of poo poo, and he is also desperate for validation, insinuating himself into any and every place which hasn't banned the poo poo out of him yet.

Warthur posted:

I am shocked that the maker of an RPG that at least up to 5th edition still had a mind control spell called "Yassa Massa" would be in some respect racist.

:stare:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

admanb posted:

There’s nothing wrong with hating Star Wars but if a white dude went out of his way to tell me that he hated Star Wars I would 100% expect the next words to come out of his mouth to involve “SJW” or “virtue signaling.”

It's certainly true. There was a guy at the game store recently who was a walking bingo card for it. Hated Rian Johnson's Star Wars because woman. Hated Captain Marvel because woman. Thought Blazing Saddles couldn't be made today (and not for the actual reasons it can't). I learned all of that like he was doing some rapid-fire bonus round. Later used the term 'snowflake.'

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Freddie Mercury went out of his way to tell me that he didn't like Star Wars.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Yep. And now he's dead.

C O I N C I D E N C E ?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Halloween Jack posted:

:actually: http://brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbmay11a.html

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Halloween Jack posted:

He got over it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
he was talking about the strategic defense initiative, which he knew about five years in advance because he was a time traveler, obviously

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

It's certainly true. There was a guy at the game store recently who was a walking bingo card for it. Hated Rian Johnson's Star Wars because woman. Hated Captain Marvel because woman. Thought Blazing Saddles couldn't be made today (and not for the actual reasons it can't). I learned all of that like he was doing some rapid-fire bonus round. Later used the term 'snowflake.'

Spring loaded talking points are a difficult phenomenon to react to. You just aren't ever ready to properly react to the four or five things person x is really mad about and seethes about evrry day.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Blazing Saddles couldn't be made today" always blows my mind because South Park is going on season 23 or whatever.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

moths posted:

"Blazing Saddles couldn't be made today" always blows my mind because South Park is going on season 23 or whatever.

Taika Waititi made a movie in which he played Hitler.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Adam Sandler and Seth MacFarlane both made raunchy spoof westerns in recent years. No one cared.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

FMguru posted:

Adam Sandler and Seth MacFarlane both made raunchy spoof westerns in recent years. No one cared.

Being ignored truly is the worst cancel culture.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

See, Mel Brooks was funny.

Edit: And, more importantly, Mel understood the concept of "punch up" before it was articulated as such. The butt of the jokes in Blazing Saddles are the ignorant racists.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cessna posted:

Edit: And, more importantly, Mel understood the concept of "punch up" before it was articulated as such. The butt of the jokes in Blazing Saddles are the ignorant racists.

And the whitewashing of history that was portrayed in the Western genre of the time.

I must have linked this in half a dozen threads in the past year, possibly including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzMFoNZeZm0

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Cessna posted:

My personal response to "You couldn't make Blazing Saddles today!" is "If you were as talented and clever as Mel Brooks is, you wouldn't make Blazing Saddles today - because it was a response to the era it was made in and you should have fresher takes on the subject matter 50 years down the road."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the main reason you can't make Blazing Saddles today is that expectations are higher, and if you wander into the morass of Racial Issues in America, people are going to expect you to have something interesting and useful to say, which is just too much to expect from these guys.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Warthur posted:

Yup, it was a thing that happened.

https://www.tenkarstavern.com/2013/01/trollish-history-from-yassa-massa-to.html

https://trollbridge.proboards.com/thread/3923/tunnels-trolls-renaming-spell-edition

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

drat good video.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the main reason you can't make Blazing Saddles today is that expectations are higher, and if you wander into the morass of Racial Issues in America, people are going to expect you to have something interesting and useful to say, which is just too much to expect from these guys.

Because when you get down to it the real reason a lot of white guys want to make Blazing Saddles is so they can drop n-bombs with gay abandon.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Warthur posted:

My personal response to "You couldn't make Blazing Saddles today!" is "If you were as talented and clever as Mel Brooks is, you wouldn't make Blazing Saddles today - because it was a response to the era it was made in and you should have fresher takes on the subject matter 50 years down the road."

Not that you’re wrong, but racially, the era of then is only superficially different than it is today

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
If Blazing Saddles were made today, chuds would be making GBS threads their pants about how it's woke anti-white racism.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Saguaro PI posted:

If Blazing Saddles were made today, chuds would be making GBS threads their pants about how it's woke anti-white racism.

You are deeply underestimating the appeal of people freely using the n-word nonstop in a big hollywood production to these people

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

We can make this work for us November after next: Bring proof you voted Democratic, you get The Pass until the next congressional term.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, wow, I'm way too high to get into everything wrong with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I do not feel like the thread is equipped to have that conversation