Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They're WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol Biden just said Ukraine was too corrupt to join NATO

Hunter was just doing undercover investigating the whole time

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol zelensky saying that ukraines wars will soon be americas and then saying that they are in nato.

He's going to leak the hunter expose if biden doesnt blink.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
going full Saakashvili lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
looks like those clowns in kiev did it again

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

looks like those clowns in kiev did it again

https://twitter.com/0Neptune7/status/1404519576109465602

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
today's been a really funny day in Eurasian news

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
holy poo poo ukraine is joining NATO???

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

looking forward to the US going to war with the PRC over Taiwan and Russia over Ukraine at the same time lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Agrajag posted:

Nah.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Ukraine thinks its getting in the car to get made, but will actually just get whacked, like that scene in goodfellas

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Agrajag posted:

no their neonazi loving president just kinda said it Trump Style

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

that would mean ww3 and zelensky is a loving cuck if he thinks doddering senile JOE! is going to do anything

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

everybody forgets about Poland

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Nonsense posted:

everybody forgets about Poland

poland is a us colony

running on US money

its a clusterfuck run by nazis

just like ukraine

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Intermarium time

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If Ukraine does join NATO, Xi Dada and the Ayatollah will be egging Putin on from behind "go! go! go!" style.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

If Ukraine does join NATO, Xi Dada and the Ayatollah will be egging Putin on from behind "go! go! go!" style.

to what end? I don’t think a nuclear exchange is good for anyone

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

to what end? I don’t think a nuclear exchange is good for anyone

Probably cutting out Eastern Ukraine like those 2 former states of Georgia.

Thing about Putin is, he sometimes make military decision based on gut instinct.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Spergin Morlock posted:

looking forward to the US going to war with the PRC over Taiwan and Russia over Ukraine at the same time lol

hell yeah battlefield 2/4 but irl

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
what would a "win" for putin even look like in relation to the current status quo? crimea is administered by russia and will be basically forever, donbass is a breakaway that will never be re-integrated into the ukraine without significant difficulty coupled with years/decades of pain, and russia's international rivals care much more about access to cheap petroleum products then they do about the sovereignty of any given state in eastern europe

other than a complete fantasy like capitulation and turning kiev into an autonomous oblast or something, i cant really imagine a way that the current situation could be better. international recognition for abkhazia and ossetia along with donbass? what would china and iran even ask for in this hypothetical scenario

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Malleum posted:

what would a "win" for putin even look like in relation to the current status quo? crimea is administered by russia and will be basically forever, donbass is a breakaway that will never be re-integrated into the ukraine without significant difficulty coupled with years/decades of pain, and russia's international rivals care much more about access to cheap petroleum products then they do about the sovereignty of any given state in eastern europe

other than a complete fantasy like capitulation and turning kiev into an autonomous oblast or something, i cant really imagine a way that the current situation could be better. international recognition for abkhazia and ossetia along with donbass? what would china and iran even ask for in this hypothetical scenario

China will ask for mongolia and reunite the true kingdom of heaven

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The strawmen times

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol Biden just said Ukraine was too corrupt to join NATO

lmao

just thinking about that old bill hicks bit:

"how do you know"

"well... we looked at the receipt"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

can someone commission crabapple to do this for the united states or israel since there's also too a dearth of information due to the lack of ubiquity of personal recording devices

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i wasn't paying attention to politics in the 80's, but it's interesting to see how all the same 'china bad' rhetoric was used against japan from all the usual suspects (NYT, LAtimes, atlantic, etc)

japan bad

quote:

Start at the State Department with middle-level officers who deal daily with the Japanese - and one hears language almost unheard elsewhere in that labyrinth of quiet diplomats. ''Japan,'' said one, who asked not to be identified, ''is a protectionist nation: They have no sense of moderation; they are aggressive. They are an island nation looking out on the rest of the world as plunder from a protected bastion. Negotiations are tedious, painful -oh, so painful- and, when they yield, they yield with no grace.

ip theft

quote:

Now, belatedly awake to the recognition that Japan has been eating their breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime snack, American companies are stirring. IBM vs. Fujitsu over computer software, Honeywell vs. Minolta over automatic focusing, Corning Glass vs. Sumitomo Electric over fiber optics -- these are only the latest, best-publicized complaints that Japan has stolen American technology. Even as those legal battles are fought out, the copycat cliche is becoming obsolete. A series of studies financed by the U.S. government since 1984 warn that Japan has caught up with the U.S. or passed it in the development of integrated circuits, fiber optics, computer hardware engineering, and advanced materials like polymers.

they even had their own huawei

quote:

The Senate, angered by disclosures that the Soviet Union had obtained technology to design and build a new group of quietly operating submarines, has included in its trade bill a provision forbidding the importation of Toshiba goods for as long as five years. House members share the Senate’s concerns, but their chamber has no pending legislation calling for Toshiba penalties.

military in their waters

quote:

the U.S. will no longer endure Japan's economic encroachments. Japan, meanwhile, in order to ensure the influx of raw materials and to secure an export market it can dominate politically, will solidify its trading bloc in Southwest Asia and the Indian Ocean, while challenging U.S. hegemony in the Pacific Basin.

EU sides with the US of course

quote:

British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher bluntly told Japan Wednesday to open its markets or risk international retaliation. Mrs. Thatcher said Japan's position as an economic superpower had been made possible by open world markets. But Japanese restrictions, barriers, and subsidies ``make it hard, even impossible, for some imports to enter Japanese markets,'' she said.

debt traps! unfair trade practices!

quote:

That conflict arises from Japan's inability or unwillingness to restrain the one-sided and destructive expansion of its economic power. The expansion is one-sided because Japanese business does to other countries what Japan will not permit to be done to itself.

There is one further indication of economic imbalance: the continuing pattern of one-sidedness in many Japanese transactions. A few years ago the management expert Peter Drucker introduced the term "adversarial trade" to describe Japan's approach to commerce, which is characterized by resistance to high-value imports and by targeted attacks on established foreign industries.

the standard complaint about Japanese trading practice is that it's hypocritical. Japanese manufacturers sell freely in the United States, but foreigners must fight their way through public and private cartels to compete in Japan.

i'm not racist but they just think differently

quote:

The deeper concept here is the weakness of universal principles in Japan—of ideas that make the Japanese feel that their lives run according to axioms similar to those of any human beings' lives around the world. The differing ideas about the basis of moral behavior are probably the most fundamental contrast between Japan and the West.

the inscrutable machinations of the orientals

quote:

“Japan is another universe, which wants to conquer,” Prime Minister Edith Cresson said recently. “That’s the way they are.” The Japanese market is “hermetically sealed,” and the Japanese stay up nights trying to think of ways “to screw the West,” she said. According to reports in the Japanese media, she has described the Japanese as “yellow dwarfs.”

Before she became prime minster, in an interview with The Times in 1989, Cresson referred to the Japanese as being “just like ants, eating you up” and went on to say: “You just don’t notice it. You don’t feel it. You don’t see it.”

trade war! US getting the WTO involved!

quote:

President Clinton, following through on his threat to retaliate against Japan’s trade policies, has decided to redeploy an old weapon that would allow the Administration to raise tariffs on Japanese goods sold in the United States, Administration and congressional sources said Tuesday.

The Administration official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the “next logical” measure would be the publication of a list of Japanese exports on which tariffs could be raised or other sanctions could be applied. The taxes on imports would raise prices paid by U.S. consumers to discourage them from buying particular Japanese goods.

not sure if i posted the princes of yen documentary from the doomsday economics thread, but it really paints a picture of post-war japan as a top-down command economy masquerading as a free market that got absolutely owned once they actually opened up. the documentary blames younger japanese generation that absorbed the neoliberal ideology when they were sent abroad to be educated, which caused them to deliberately create economic havoc so they could restructure their economic system (make the central bank independent), but some of those articles (especially the "containing japan" article ), really gives me the impression that they were getting a lot of external pressure. the end of the documentary briefly mentions other countries getting destroyed by the IMF/EU equivalent in a similar way (thailand, korea, singapore and now greece, spain, etc).

haven't found anything that's analgous to uyghur stuff tho.... unless..........

crepeface has issued a correction as of 13:30 on Jun 15, 2021

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the 80s anti-japan hysteria also led to at least one racist hate crime, not to mention some incredibly racist bestsellers.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Debt of Honor rules. The afterbirth of a truly diseased Boomer mind.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah i just finished rereading it, it rocks how the main bad guy is motivated by his parents dying on saipan, and the bad japanese prime minister just coincidentally likes to gently caress blonde white women.

the sequel is really good too, with ayatollah assahola releasing airborne ebola into the US... and president jack ryan doing turbo lockdowns that everyone miraculously pays attention to and obeys, hahahaha. there's even near-universal masking!

gonna be starting the one where russia joins nato after being invaded by china in the next few weeks, very excited to revisit a true classic

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

lobster shirt posted:

the 80s anti-japan hysteria also led to at least one racist hate crime, not to mention some incredibly racist bestsellers.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

yeah i just finished rereading it, it rocks how the main bad guy is motivated by his parents dying on saipan, and the bad japanese prime minister just coincidentally likes to gently caress blonde white women.

the sequel is really good too, with ayatollah assahola releasing airborne ebola into the US... and president jack ryan doing turbo lockdowns that everyone miraculously pays attention to and obeys, hahahaha. there's even near-universal masking!

gonna be starting the one where russia joins nato after being invaded by china in the next few weeks, very excited to revisit a true classic

The Jack Ryan universe has what in real life would be a nuclear triggering incident every two years. It's a wonder how anyone in that world isn't a completely neurotic wreck all the time. Like, posters on this forum think World War 3 is gonna happen every time Syria shoots down a Turkish fighter plane.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Jack Ryan universe has what in real life would be a nuclear triggering incident every two years. It's a wonder how anyone in that world isn't a completely neurotic wreck all the time. Like, posters on this forum think World War 3 is gonna happen every time Syria shoots down a Turkish fighter plane.

Remember when there was just a straight up battle between Russian and American forces in Syria and both sides didn't give a poo poo? Really proved geopolitics is a joke.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the pflp, angered over a successful israel palestine peace plan that turns jerusalem into a neutral city and was precipitated by israeli police indefensibly killing palestinians on the temple mount, nukes the super bowl and does a false flag to make the US nuke the soviet union and iran... but jack ryan foils the part where the US nukes tehran and moscow in retaliation.

but anyway after jack ryan solves all the worlds problems and averts numerous nuclear exchanges, and even gets russia to join nato, 9/11 still happens and in the 2021 ryanverse russia is bad again. super stuff.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

lobster shirt posted:

sounds like we need a remake of Gung Ho

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Doranimated/status/1404537579236728832

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I hope one day america collapses so I can get in on one of these rackets. "Wow I can't believe it President Armenkatil Bey, what I am seeing in these CHP and HDP neighborhoods is just like what I saw in America when I was a child! Hatred of your own countries history, and conspiring with traitorous foreign elements. I worry for the future of the Neo-Ottoman Empire!"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Speaking of Hollywood pivoted from racist stereotype movie about Japan to harmless oritentalism movies about Samurai and race cars. If China's movie market wasn't so big Hollywood would be making racist movies about China right now.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I hope one day america collapses so I can get in on one of these rackets. "Wow I can't believe it President Armenkatil Bey, what I am seeing in these CHP and HDP neighborhoods is just like what I saw in America when I was a child! Hatred of your own countries history, and conspiring with traitorous foreign elements. I worry for the future of the Neo-Ottoman Empire!"

I want Saira Rao's job where she gets paid millions to tell white people they're racist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Speaking of Hollywood pivoted from racist stereotype movie about Japan to harmless oritentalism movies about Samurai and race cars. If China's movie market wasn't so big Hollywood would be making racist movies about China right now.

check out what Hollywood thought the largest city in China looked like in 1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HycMC9RfkYc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

crepeface posted:

i wasn't paying attention to politics in the 80's, but it's interesting to see how all the same 'china bad' rhetoric was used against japan from all the usual suspects (NYT, LAtimes, atlantic, etc)

There was a p good blog post noting this same thing

https://lateralthinkingtechnology.w...ied-trade-wars/