Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Random question: has there ever been a shooter where enemies drop a believable amount of ammo?

Bohemia Interactive games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

Random question: has there ever been a shooter where enemies drop a believable amount of ammo?

Battle Royale games :v:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mordja posted:

A fps game? Maybe Stalker, but I never played that. Jagged Alliance 2 had realistic equipment drops, which was fun.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNB4BnbsJv4

I've got about 20 hours in at the moment after taking my time with the campaign, and I feel like I've only scratched the surface. This game is seriously incredible, if it looks even mildly intriguing to you, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by missing out. The common comparison I'm seeing is that underneath the horrid visuals it's an Imsim-lite, but that's selling it massively short. It may play that that way for the first 5 to 10 hours at most, especially if you don't do much in the way of exploring, but once you start engaging with the other mechanics it opens up a ton of different playstyles.

Minor mechanics spoilers perhaps?

If you go nuts on fishing/stocks/or farming organs to sell you'll have a ton of cash to go crazy with augments. It already has Quake 3 style strafe-jumping, so if you invest in speed upgrades and the grappendix you can bunnyhop and spiderman your way around levels to your hearts content, or get the blast shield for explosion immunity and honest to god rocket-jump your way through stages.

Alternatively, equip the biosuit to tank through everything while encased in a writhing mass of flesh. The description in-game states that it has 'no apparent downsides' except for once you equip it, your UI is completely obscured by a fleshy mass, with a little monochrome viewport in the center and every NPC runs in terror when you attempt to interact lol. it also provides toxic immunity so I still found it useful for a few stages. Another personal favorite is the ammo gland paired with any powerful singleshot weapon (rocket launcher, sniper rifles, shotguns, corrosive gas launcher, etc) and you effectively get unlimited ammo as it regenerates as fast as you can use it)

There's a ton of stuff here, it's really nothing like anything else out there; It gives me the feeling of some mysterious game stashed on a shareware disk from 90s, with the aesthetic to match. Very much playable vapourwave, in the vein of Far Side Virtual. It evokes fuzzy memories of the on-foot sections of SimCopter, or the driving in Stunts, but through a decidedly more sinister lens.

I got the 'bad' ending, so there's still a lot to unlock, I'm missing several implants to be found in levels, and still nearly half the guns. And it looks like there's upwards of 3 extra objectives per level, on top of a whole "cursed" & "divine light" dark-souls-esque mechanic going on that I've barely touched.

10% off currently, with it coming out of early access in two days, so good a time as any to get on it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBw-CTdfCdU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A bit of a tangent, but drat is Masters of Doom a great book

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

A bit of a tangent, but drat is Masters of Doom a great book

Normally I hate narrative non-fiction (non-fiction written in the style of a novel) but I got really sucked in to Masters of Doom.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

heretic's arsenal is a lot more impressive when you factor in the tome of power. it gives you like 7 different bfgs with different uses

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

huh neat

https://twitter.com/80Level/status/1404484496884445184

how long before people start putting the Carmack Flicker in their games on purpose

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1404530591379427329

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

this is how they got the voiceover guy

https://twitter.com/carlomalis/status/1397161930364792832

newblood rules

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

repiv posted:

huh neat

https://twitter.com/80Level/status/1404484496884445184

how long before people start putting the Carmack Flicker in their games on purpose

I wonder what the oldest code sitting around in modern games is. Source definitely had whatever bits controlled how your weapon moved when looking up and down straight from Quake, but that's definitely gone by Source 2.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I wonder what the oldest code sitting around in modern games is. Source definitely had whatever bits controlled how your weapon moved when looking up and down straight from Quake, but that's definitely gone by Source 2.

I know the Call of Duty engines were based on id tech 3 but I’m not sure how much of that remains in the newest ones.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

repiv posted:

this is how they got the voiceover guy

https://twitter.com/carlomalis/status/1397161930364792832

newblood rules

hahah that's the guy that went viral on twitter talking about why sundresses are so hot.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahah that's the guy that went viral on twitter talking about why sundresses are so hot.

Sundresses ARE hot.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

repiv posted:

newblood rules

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Pretty sure all the id engine derivatives use Carmack’s infamous inverse squares algorithm and its movement vectors. You can still strafe jump in the CoD Cold War for example. I wouldn’t be surprised if character controllers mouselook algorithm is the same.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Carmack didn't invent the rsqrt trick (the earliest known use is by someone at SGI) and I'd hope nobody is using it anymore, modern CPUs have a dedicated instruction that does it faster and more accurately

IIRC strafe jumping is unrelated to the rsqrt approximation

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 15, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

Sundresses ARE hot.

Oh he was 100 percent correct it's just funny seeing the crossover.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn’t there a goon who claims they still receive royalties from EA for some part of the Madden games they had written in the early 00s or late 90s

Strafe jumping at this point exists because players demand it, it’s not a bug or unintentional quirk any more

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

So, uhh...

Any of you fair goons want to buy Romero's Hummer?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274808246633

John Romero posted:

REASON FOR SELLING: For me, it’s the end of an era. I really enjoyed my time with this truck. It’s pulled trees off the road, gotten cars back on the road, and traveled through floods. I’m selling it because I live in Ireland and the Hummer is, well, wider than some of the roads here. It’s no longer practical for me – but great for someone else!

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

repiv posted:

IIRC strafe jumping is unrelated to the rsqrt approximation

It is using the dot product of the current velocity onto the "wishdir" which is basically your keyboard input converted to a vector based on your camera angle. That vectors magnitude gets converted to "addspeed" through some fuckery and that gets added onto the end of the velocity vector. Because of the dot product thing if you get wiggly in the air the addspeed E: currentspeed in the equation gets huge.

That's not 100% but that's the idea.

caleb fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 15, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

foonykins posted:

So, uhh...

Any of you fair goons want to buy Romero's Hummer?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274808246633

$99K for a 21 years old car?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mordja posted:

This depends pretty strongly on what you mean by 'shooter'. If you mean just 'oldschool' stuff maybe not, but even then it depends on what you consider oldschool. Even in Halo ammo drops per guy are pretty reasonable, don't really have to go for simulationist stuff.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i made it to level two in Cruelty Squad and yeah its a legit game

god just let me get the goddamn grappling hook

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the same but everyone on this thread knows that he'll sell it at that price to some collector.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Turin Turambar posted:

yeah but does any ol Hummer have the potential to have remnants of John Romero's hair????

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Romero's about to make you honk

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wamdoodle posted:

yeah but does any ol Hummer have the potential to have remnants of John Romero's hair????
I've watched enough Civvie 11 to know that it wouldn't end well if it did

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I assume it was one of the new relaunches

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
New Blood are rad as all heck

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I know the Call of Duty engines were based on id tech 3 but I’m not sure how much of that remains in the newest ones.

i believe they still are, there's still that indescribable idtech feel to the games, even the newest ones. i remember the era when you could immediately tell if a game was idtech based or unreal based just on how walking felt.

i think raven still do some amount of work on every cod game so by now they have to be more experienced in idtech 3 than id themselves.

the % of original idtech code has to be pretty low though because i dont know what kind of witchcraft you would have to do to make a battle-royale sized map with that many players on idtech. as far as i'm aware quake engine has never been capable of that size of seamless map (hence all the loading screen in half life). battlefield 1942 was the only large scale fps of that era and it was on a totally custom engine, and the battlefield games have been since.

although i guess fortnite runs on unreal engine and im guessing that must have some % of the original unreal engine code in it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i believe they still are, there's still that indescribable idtech feel to the games, even the newest ones. i remember the era when you could immediately tell if a game was idtech based or unreal based just on how walking felt.

i think raven still do some amount of work on every cod game so by now they have to be more experienced in idtech 3 than id themselves.

the % of original idtech code has to be pretty low though because i dont know what kind of witchcraft you would have to do to make a battle-royale sized map with that many players on idtech. as far as i'm aware quake engine has never been capable of that size of seamless map (hence all the loading screen in half life). battlefield 1942 was the only large scale fps of that era and it was on a totally custom engine, and the battlefield games have been since.

although i guess fortnite runs on unreal engine and im guessing that must have some % of the original unreal engine code in it.

There are tricks to have large seemless levels. Apex Legends is running off of Source Engine and definitely has id roots (bunny hopping and trimping are both present). There’s a video of Respawn talking about how everything is a series of valleys to help with culling and performance. Apex runs super smoothly for me so it’s impressive its with the 2013 base source code.

I believe Raven is in charge of CoD: Warzone exclusively now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guillermus posted:

John Romero's about to make you honk

Suck it down (gas, that is)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Serephina posted:

e3m9 blew my mind when I first played it, I had assumed the emulator had glitched.
Emulator?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
LRG is messing with me.

First they announced the DOOM Classics Collection, which I had to get despite having all three on Switch already. I think it's their first combo cart. Then I had to buy DOOM 64 at Best Buy despite already having DOOM 64 on the Switch, because I can't be missing one of the DOOM carts now that I have the others.

Now they've announced Strife. But I already have Strife. Maybe it will come with the original manual or something and I can justify it that way.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Bought into Prodeus. It's really good. Of the shooter revivals, I'd say DUSK is the best package, AMID EVIL is the most replayable (complete) game, and Prodeus has my favorite combat. It has that feel I was trying to describe a few pages where it feels better to switch weapons because a situation demands I do so, rather than switching weapons because a specific enemy demands I do so.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 15, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

LRG is messing with me.

First they announced the DOOM Classics Collection, which I had to get despite having all three on Switch already. I think it's their first combo cart. Then I had to buy DOOM 64 at Best Buy despite already having DOOM 64 on the Switch, because I can't be missing one of the DOOM carts now that I have the others.

Now they've announced Strife. But I already have Strife. Maybe it will come with the original manual or something and I can justify it that way.

Look at it this way, you'll never lose money if you decide to resell them in a few years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Convex posted:

Look at it this way, you'll never lose money if you decide to resell them in a few years.

You’ll probably make a good amount of money at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
What The gently caress

https://twitter.com/ChrisHoldenDev/status/1404833323923484682?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J9UYEJ9jbE