Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr. Neutron posted:

What's up with everyone constantly praising the graphics anyway? Sure it looks great but it doesn't seem to be all that much superior to FH4.
It looks incredible lol, did we watch the same trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It's incremental, but there's way more fine detail, and the volumetric lighting really helps the immersion.

I've not been to Mexico but I've been to southern California and the way there's the light haze around the mountains rising in front of you is incredibly reminiscent of how they looked to me in person there, it just looks 'right'.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im in a real car rn and it looks pretty good

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

(I think as project lead since Raphael Colantonio is doing another game)
That's one way to put it! Raph left Arkane a couple of years ago to found a new studio, Wolfeye. They're currently working on Weird West.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Mr. Neutron posted:

What's up with everyone constantly praising the graphics anyway? Sure it looks great but it doesn't seem to be all that much superior to FH4.

But have you seen the cacti.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is Forza replacing seasons with weather events

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

That would be fun. The dynamic weather in Dirt 5 is extremely cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

elf help book posted:

Is Forza replacing seasons with weather events
The IGN interview says that there's still seasons, but they affect different biomes in different ways (dust storms in dry season, tropical storms in autumn/storm season) and weather effects won't effect the entire map at once.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Kins posted:

The IGN interview says that there's still seasons, but they affect different biomes in different ways (dust storms in dry season, tropical storms in autumn/storm season) and weather effects won't effect the entire map at once.

ahhh thanks

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I’ll wait til Series Y|T come out and play FlightSim in FPS Boosted backwards compatibility

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Does 60 FPS matter in Flight sim. It seems like the rare type of 'game' that would do fine at 30.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m seeing that a lot online. I don’t get it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Thom12255 posted:

I don't think I've heard the Series X once no matter what it's doing.

I sit right next to it if I'm sitting at my desk playing and I can feel the hot air being blasted out long before I notice any actual noise from the console. Pretty neat. I was also a little shocked when I saw what they recommend for air clearance on the sides (which is only a couple inches iirc)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m seeing that a lot online. I don’t get it.

I'm ... guessing? that people are thinking most of the time you'll be in the air and the action is relatively slow and therefore slower framerates aren't as jarring?

until you move the camera

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
30 FPS is fine to watch, and yes, then you have to move the camera and it looks like poo poo.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePassPC/status/1404483783546466305

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Supreme Allah posted:

Does 60 FPS matter in Flight sim. It seems like the rare type of 'game' that would do fine at 30.

IMO the best framerate for Flight Sim is one that's rock solid steady. 30 evenly-spaced frames with no drops beats the hell out of fluctuations that hit 60 sometimes.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I don't play Flight Simulator but from what I've seen it doesn't really look like some graphically intensive beast the X couldn't handle at high framerates

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Roman posted:

I don't play Flight Simulator but from what I've seen it doesn't really look like some graphically intensive beast the X couldn't handle at high framerates

It's basically impossible to get to 60FPS if you want to play at 4K and have ultra graphics setting enabled on PC. I'm thinking that to get to 4K on the series X they've had to put the settings to low.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Roman posted:

It's heavily CPU bottlenecked, a mix of scaling with single-thread performance over multicore and running a lot of complex simulations, from fluid mechanics to instrument control panels.

I assume the SX release will be optimized for the controller, any word on whether that'll make its way back to PC? I tried loving around with it on a gamepad a while back and that was excruciating.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Roman posted:

Flying over the plains on a sunny, clear day can make it seem that way, but get storm clouds in there, and some mountains covered in foliage - it becomes A Lot. Weather and topography are what make the game fun, so if you want to have a good time you'll be playing the version of it that asks the most of your system.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Even for input responsiveness I’d want the higher framerate

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Twitch shooter Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If I wanted really good looking games at 30fps I’d have bought a PS5 :argh:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Even for input responsiveness I’d want the higher framerate

You doing some stunt flying up there?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You doing some stunt flying up there?

There actually is a very nimble stunt plane in there.

One interesting thing I've learned from Flight Simulator is how much control over an aircraft is indirect, suggested, or estimated. Control surfaces invariably have lag to them just by virtue of how they work, and in a lot of ways planes kinda fly themselves with you trying to convince them to do what you want to do.

That's not to minimize an earlier poster's point about high framerates and responsiveness - it's valid - but if you're looking for shooter-level "I am one with the character" you're not gonna get it with Flight Sim.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BonoMan posted:

I'm ... guessing? that people are thinking most of the time you'll be in the air and the action is relatively slow and therefore slower framerates aren't as jarring?

until you move the camera

Yeah you feel 30 in the camera pans in any game the most

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
So Starfield is actually skyrim in space. It's going to have aliens, diverse locations and apparently more RPG elements than their recent games which is great. I was kind of worried the game was going to be some kind of "boring" sci fi about building poo poo but this sounds great.

quote:

There are factions like Skyrim, with Constellation being the main one

300 years in the future, humans are exploring deep space, and the faction known as Constellation "is this kind of last group of space explorers. It's like NASA meets Indiana Jones meets the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a group of people that are still searching for answers," Howard told the Telegraph.

"There are a lot of factions in the game but [Constellation is] the main one that you'll become a part of. It’s kind of like Skyrim in terms of the structure of the game, where you're going to be who you want to be, and then there's different factions that you can join, and really carve your own path."

https://www.pcgamer.com/what-todd-howard-has-said-about-starfield-its-like-skyrim-in-space-with-detailed-cheese-sandwiches/

Actually kind of glad we're getting this before the next Elder Scrolls. About time for a new IP from them.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Orc Priest posted:

So Starfield is actually skyrim in space. It's going to have aliens, diverse locations and apparently more RPG elements than their recent games which is great. I was kind of worried the game was going to be some kind of "boring" sci fi about building poo poo but this sounds great.

https://www.pcgamer.com/what-todd-howard-has-said-about-starfield-its-like-skyrim-in-space-with-detailed-cheese-sandwiches/

Actually kind of glad we're getting this before the next Elder Scrolls. About time for a new IP from them.

The concept art looks really good -- the minor flash of outfits at 1:25-1:26, that last one is, i want it - https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1404439766775566336

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've decided I want a Series X for Christmas, I figure they'll just get harder and harder to get as we approach that season. Anyone got any tried and true methods of obtaining one? When should I try to buy? I don't want to do Black Friday stuff. In the meantime I'll check my local Walmart whenever I go since we live in a pretty rural area.

Gamepass question: is there one where you pay one monthly thing and are able to play games on your Xbox as well as your computer? Or is the windows PC one a separate subscription?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm contemplating eBay at this point :negative:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

External Organs posted:

I've decided I want a Series X for Christmas, I figure they'll just get harder and harder to get as we approach that season. Anyone got any tried and true methods of obtaining one? When should I try to buy? I don't want to do Black Friday stuff. In the meantime I'll check my local Walmart whenever I go since we live in a pretty rural area.

Follow @wario64 on Twitter and turn on alerts.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wario64 has definitely done posts where he’s like ‘series x s still available at windows store’ like more than an hour after the initial post so unlike ps5 i dont think it is really that hard to get one if you make a concerted effort

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah they're usually gone in like 3 minutes. You probably just got lucky and noticed a restock.

The S is considerably more available but still doesn't usually last more than 20 minutes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he did it twice in may (shruggy guy)

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

External Organs posted:

Gamepass question: is there one where you pay one monthly thing and are able to play games on your Xbox as well as your computer? Or is the windows PC one a separate subscription?
PC only is separate for $10/month (first month is $1), Ultimate is PC/console/cloud for $15/month

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Roman posted:

PC only is separate for $10/month (first month is $1), Ultimate is PC/console/cloud for $15/month

Oh dope. That's good to know.

bushisms.txt posted:

Follow @wario64 on Twitter and turn on alerts.

Thanks, cheers!

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

External Organs posted:

Oh dope. That's good to know.

Thanks, cheers!

Wait a couple days on the Wario64 notifications, he's still knee-deep in regurgitating E3 news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

External Organs posted:

I followed this guy https://twitter.com/mattswider?s=21 turn on alerts and got one within a week or two from Best Buy. He’s usually the fastest to post links I think

Just like have all your info ready for all of the stores (Best Buy, Microsoft, target etc) and you should be good to go