Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Syrnn posted:

This was my feeling too. While I love the idea of a Meat Brig, Voyager makes it pretty clear with the way they talk to the Kazon about replicators conjuring water "out of thin air"; or that two Ferengi with a shuttle-craft replicator could hold a planet hostage if they had to rely on a limited supply of glorified 3D printing goop instead of energy-matter conversion.

There are far more heinous crimes about how poo poo works than the replicator, like the transporter buffers being made into a Fountain of Youth to cure Polaski of the rapid aging in Unnatural Selection and then no one ever spoke of it again.
Huh, I guess they did change their mind on this one. It kind of sucks because the version in the TNG manual seems to avoid the complaint the writer had that it takes away uniqueness: you can just say "it makes food, and food-adjacent items, and spare parts, but it can't just replicate the Aqua Helix without, AT BEST, having an Aqua Helix to scan destructively."

While I'd say perhaps the intention was that you can just throw random garbage and turds into the tank and replicate out delicious caviar and luxury goods, we are talking about Voyager, so: Probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Of all the things to separate, nacelles seem like the dumbest possible idea

They are connected by fish line friend, can't break that stuff.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

thotsky posted:

There is some mention of certain materials taking more energy to replicate than others, and some being impossible to replicate due to complexity, which could explain latinum, but no canon source says anything on whether or not latinum can be replicated.

That's another possible explanation for why people don't just replicate a bunch of latinum and get rich: it might be possible but require too much energy to be worth it. Like if you had a machine that could create an ounce of silver (worth $25-ish) out of thin air, but it had to use up 47 bucks' worth of electricity to do it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

That's another possible explanation for why people don't just replicate a bunch of latinum and get rich: it might be possible but require too much energy to be worth it. Like if you had a machine that could create an ounce of silver (worth $25-ish) out of thin air, but it had to use up 47 bucks' worth of electricity to do it.

then you'd just steal electricity to do it, duh

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

latinum is the blockchain of the future

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
The actual thing that really had me wondering about currency was Bashir laying down physical latinum on the dabo wheel. Where did he get that

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like to picture running along a street, jacking into electric car chargeports. "Come on, come on" I mutter, as the machine groans, putting out another small ingot of silver. "Hurry the gently caress up!" The sound of drones come closer. I curse, hitching my Alchematic device under my armpit and taking off for the next outlet.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bullbar posted:

The actual thing that really had me wondering about currency was Bashir laying down physical latinum on the dabo wheel. Where did he get that

Credits4Latinum dot quark

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that even if there's still unpleasant or tedious jobs, it doesn't necessarily mean that people still have to spend 40+ hours a week doing those jobs. How many jobs would be more palatable if you only had to do them for a couple days a week?

A corner apartment in the hottest residential tower in Paris is a limited commodity. And somebody has to do the sanitation work. A couple of shifts a week somewhere smelly supervising the robots is the price you pay for the apartment.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bullbar posted:

Are you a malnourished former bajoran slave? Are you a WARRIOR needing surgery for his second spleen? Come to Bashir's Starfleet clinic where we have 0 paid expenses and transfer those savings onto you. Payment accepted in gold pressed latium only.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Got it from his Cardassian boyfriend of course

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

Got it from his Cardassian boyfriend of course

That's just his tailor.

Almost done with ds9 season one, just finished Dramatis Personae. Every episode that's just "wacky space bullshit, chaos ensues" rules, the cast is fantastic and I love watching them play off each other.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

I like to picture running along a street, jacking into electric car chargeports. "Come on, come on" I mutter, as the machine groans, putting out another small ingot of silver. "Hurry the gently caress up!" The sound of drones come closer. I curse, hitching my Alchematic device under my armpit and taking off for the next outlet.

Not gonna lie, I'd keep reading this story.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Shrunken runabout is pretty cool

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are they still doing that evil trek show about section 31? I just figure there's a planet or asteroid belt dripping with huge oceans of latinum and Section 31 has to hide it to preserve the ferengi capitalism for whatever necessary-evil contrivance.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Josh Christ posted:

That's just his tailor.

Almost done with ds9 season one, just finished Dramatis Personae. Every episode that's just "wacky space bullshit, chaos ensues" rules, the cast is fantastic and I love watching them play off each other.

I'm so jealous of folk watching DS9 through for the first time, or the first time in a while. It's so good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Khanstant posted:

Are they still doing that evil trek show about section 31? I just figure there's a planet or asteroid belt dripping with huge oceans of latinum and Section 31 has to hide it to preserve the ferengi capitalism for whatever necessary-evil contrivance.
It’s on hold

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
You'd love to be able to tell people you killed a jem'hadar with a photon torpedo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bullbar posted:

Shrunken runabout is pretty cool

It's such a cheesy premise but it's played totally straight. I do like that they actually deal with some of the physical ramifications like "hey we'd literally suffocate because we can't breathe oxygen molecules that are 100 times bigger now".

Also it's worth it for Worf's terrible poem.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

mllaneza posted:

A corner apartment in the hottest residential tower in Paris is a limited commodity. And somebody has to do the sanitation work. A couple of shifts a week somewhere smelly supervising the robots is the price you pay for the apartment.

All you're doing here is falling back on some form of wage-earning.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BonHair posted:

The main problem is how they get people to peel onions and potatoes and other sucky parts of cooking. They can't have an infinite supply of grandchildren on vacation.

I always thought those jobs are really nothing more than apprenticeships, and without the 'do this job or go die in a gutter' of our world. If you don't like it for the however few hours a week you decide to, you can gently caress off no problem. Plenty of people may go "you know, i might like to be a chef, run a restaurant", but one of the limited things is still land and locations. If its collective for humanity, who is the local council going to give a great location to, the guy who wants to on a whim who doesn't know what he's doing and hosed off, or the guy that busted his butt learning how the trade works?

I kind of thought this would explain the picard vinyard too. As long as the picard family is happy to keep working it and producing a heritage product like french wine, its useful for them to keep running it, but if say picard wanted to salt the fields, put up a fence, and tell people to leave, the local council might go "yeaaaah we're giving management of this historical vinyard to someone who wants to actually run one."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Syrnn posted:

This was my feeling too. While I love the idea of a Meat Brig, Voyager makes it pretty clear with the way they talk to the Kazon about replicators conjuring water "out of thin air"; or that two Ferengi with a shuttle-craft replicator could hold a planet hostage if they had to rely on a limited supply of glorified 3D printing goop instead of energy-matter conversion.

The Kazon are pretty dumb and you're always gonna be talking down to them.

My understanding of the latter was that it's never an issue because replicators can dereplicate easily, so topping it up isn't a problem, especially for just making common stuff, as long as you have the power for it (which Voyager didn't always). The goop meat tanks mentioned in the TNG tech manual are said to be matter held in a form that basically averages out to being the most energy efficient for reassembly back into food and common items, but that's more about efficiency than necessity.

The idea has always been that it used the same tech as transporters, but transporters don't spontaneously generate matter out of energy (let's not go there on the one example of Tom Riker), they just stream matter in an energy state. The atom that's reassembled on the other end is the same one that's beamed up via the oft-mentioned Matter Stream. The idea with replicators is that they do the same, beaming matter from the element tanks into food form.

It might even be that the backend of the replicator systems on a starship are capable of synthesising rare elements via nucleosynthesis which are then sourced into the replicator beam, as a much more energy intensive two-stage process, and that's just covered under the general umbrella of 'replicators'.

Cycling things back into the replicators is actually mentioned fairly often IIRC.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 15, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

The idea has always been that it used the same tech as transporters, but transporters don't spontaneously generate matter out of energy (let's not go there on the one example of Tom Riker),

Tom Riker gets a lot easier all around if you just make the leap short hop that Geordi/Data misinterpreted the sensor data and what actually happened was that he got tragically bounced over from a parallel universe.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wait so the Kelvin blowing up made Sulu gay? That's a hell of a butterfly effect.

I thought it was recognized that Nero's incursion rippled backwards and forwards from when he actually traveled back.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

V-Men posted:

I thought it was recognized that Nero's incursion rippled backwards and forwards from when he actually traveled back.

That's what Simon Pegg said.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Khanstant posted:

It's on hold because there are four other Trek shows in production, maybe it'll get picked up when one of them gets cancelled/ends.

EDIT: Wait, FIVE other shows actually. Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, Lower Decks & Prodigy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Janeway is my favourite captain because of episodes like "Drone." If only she had the same compassion with... well you know, we don't gotta get into him rn. Janeway was totally down to let the surprise borg baby grow, Picard and Sisko would've gone straight for the aborgtion.

One is a great unexpected character, and like all unique unexpected characters on Voyager... he was prematurely doomed. but the sweet borgy moments between One and Seven were fantastic. "You must comply. Please. You are hurting me" :smith: "You will adapt."

He's also the only one to really do anything with the crazy 29th century holo-emitter tech the Doctor uses. I forgot it was future tech even. Sometimes they jam it in a random device to use as a battery but it's kind of weird they didn't reverse-engineer anything for Voyager from it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Janeway is my favourite captain because of episodes like "Drone." If only she had the same compassion with... well you know, we don't gotta get into him rn. Janeway was totally down to let the surprise borg baby grow, Picard and Sisko would've gone straight for the aborgtion.

One is a great unexpected character, and like all unique unexpected characters on Voyager... he was prematurely doomed. but the sweet borgy moments between One and Seven were fantastic. "You must comply. Please. You are hurting me" :smith: "You will adapt."

He's also the only one to really do anything with the crazy 29th century holo-emitter tech the Doctor uses. I forgot it was future tech even. Sometimes they jam it in a random device to use as a battery but it's kind of weird they didn't reverse-engineer anything for Voyager from it.

PIcard refused to upload the paradox pattern to Hugh to cause a collapse of the Borg hive mind. He's not down with killing Borg babies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Veotax posted:

It's on hold because there are four other Trek shows in production, maybe it'll get picked up when one of them gets cancelled/ends.

EDIT: Wait, FIVE other shows actually. Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, Lower Decks & Prodigy.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Section 31 just kind of quietly never got made because no one really wants it, and Michelle Yeoh has a feature film career she probably really wants to get back to.

That said, Picard is probably going to be the one that wraps up first of the current slate of Trek shows because they probably don’t want to roll the dice on Patrick Stewart’s health past a three season commitment. So who knows, maybe we will get S-31 sooner than we think?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 15, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Section 31 really strikes me as an impulse “oh poo poo we can actually make spin-offs outta this” decision before anyone in the room stopped to consider a) whether anyone actually wanted it or b) when they’d actually be able to juggle actor schedules to make it happen.

So yeah, now that Disco is running steady and they’ve got four other shows in various stages of actual production, there’s no reason at all to keep pushing for S31. It’ll probably end up like the Khan miniseries Nick Myers wrote three years ago; outlined and stuck on a shelf indefinitely.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Khanstant posted:

To me, that episode read like weird and out of place pro-life stuff. Their reaction just makes no sense in any other context; it's a Borg incursion, and when they discover it no more than a clump of cells. Abort it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

V-Men posted:

This was a deeply unsatisfying answer in Flashpoint and it remains so here.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I think it makes sense with the amount of time travel in the Prime timeline; Nero shows up in the 23rd century and disrupts things enough that now Kirk never goes back to save the whales, and Cochrane never learns about the Borg, and the Temporal Cold War plays out completely differently, so a whole bunch of stuff changes even though it had already happened by the time Nero originally arrived.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe the Section 31 show is getting made, but we can't tell for sure :tinfoil:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thotsky posted:

To me, that episode read like weird and out of place pro-life stuff. Their reaction just makes no sense in any other context; it's a Borg incursion, and when they discover it no more than a clump of cells. Abort it.

Naw, the Borg should be our friends. Can't make friends with someone you're killing or aborting all the time. Resistance is futile, cooperation is the only path to progress.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My son is also named Borg

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Voyager basically suffers (amongst other things) from the fact that serialization as a thing people wanted was like 15 years later and it would of helped it immensely. Imagine if they actually picked up new non-federation crew members or could let baby borg stick around for a few episodes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Voyager basically suffers (amongst other things) from the fact that serialization as a thing people wanted was like 15 years later and it would of helped it immensely. Imagine if they actually picked up new non-federation crew members or could let baby borg stick around for a few episodes.

Even the most interesting serialized plots wouldn't make up for the massive lack of enthusiasm from the main cast, IMO

At least that's what kills Voyager for me, more than the actual boring plots

e: of course you can argue that they go hand-in-hand; the cast would be more invested if they had better material to work with

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The cast would probably have bought more to it if most of their lines weren't 'repolarise the dilithium injectors' gibberish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Icheb stuck around for a few episodes at least