Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
honestly i feel like hc is how d2 was meant to be played. the gear grind sucks and there's no mechanism for it. no infinite scaling dungeon or nothing. game aint meant to be grinded and toons aint meant to be immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if ya wanna make the most busted rear end toons in the world with bizarre synergies that somehow instagib the whole screen and run increasingly insane maps..... well i have some good new for u.. its called path of exile!!!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

codo27 posted:

I cant imagine playing hc in an arpg especially one that can be as ruthlessly cheap as diablo, but I think I might make a character this time around just to try. I think I'm too careless to be cut out for it though, but we'll see how it goes. I wonder how long the novelty of the new version will keep the monotony of the late game grind at bay.

Of all the hardcore games, d2 is actually designed around being a hardcore experience. Hell, you can just save and exit at any time. Hubris and impatience is the real killer.

Anyways, the adrenaline rush is like a drug.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

D2 is not cheap in any way. Every time you die you learn a valuable lesson on how to progress. Each mob type and encounter is easily quantified. Sometimes in such a way that instead of engaging, you nope out hard and make a new game. I have not once thought to myself that my death was anything but my own fault. That's the joy in playing hardcore. The act of playing in and of itself. Mastery of yourself and your class. Not mastery of items and collecting. Simple joys. Oh, and a wicked loving rush when you almost die with a character you've spent hours on. Then, if and when you finally die, a realization that playing was the fun part. A sweet blessed release.

I guess that's life?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kazvall posted:

D2 is not cheap in any way. Every time you die you learn a valuable lesson on how to progress. Each mob type and encounter is easily quantified. Sometimes in such a way that instead of engaging, you nope out hard and make a new game. I have not once thought to myself that my death was anything but my own fault. That's the joy in playing hardcore. The act of playing in and of itself. Mastery of yourself and your class. Not mastery of items and collecting. Simple joys. Oh, and a wicked loving rush when you almost die with a character you've spent hours on. Then, if and when you finally die, a realization that playing was the fun part. A sweet blessed release.

I guess that's life?
sometimes you can die to server issues or your connection or the power going out. I've died to all three and I've only experienced 3 power outages in my entire life.

D2's character power scaling is really great. It genuinely is designed around just doing a playthrough without farming.

If you have real bad gear you can randomly die to a few things in nm/hell, although they are sort of avoidable. Infector of Souls can one shot you even with 75 fire res if he spawns with certain modifier sets (which is why while chaos running you usually run absorb, +max fire res, and/or stack fire res beyond cap.) Gloams are infamous and can even kill geared players who just teleport through and don't show them respect. If you take it slow you can play around them. There's fire enchanted in nightmare which can one shot most 90+ characters if you stand directly inside of them. Hell can too, but hell fire enchanted actually does less damage because apparently it was easier to reduce the damage than fix the bug. You can play around this by not just standing in the same tile as the monster, but everything is desyncd 24/7 in d2 so ymmv. The exploding doll things in a3 are super annoying on some classes. There's also ancients, and while I haven't died to them in years I've definitely reset them sometimes even after killing one or two due to expecting a potentially fatal beatdown was unavoidable and coming my way. Necromancer a5 guy whose name I know but can't spell does corpse explosions and those can be real deadly if you have bad gear but he's optional.

my advice to people would be to play what's fun to you. HC is real fun and good in d2, but if you're new or returning then then playing sc for a bit is probably the smarter move because it will allow you to improve quicker.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 14, 2021

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You have great points here. I've blocked out any lag deaths from my memory, so they didnt happen. Regardless, any death you will experience due to game mechanics will forever be emblazoned upon your memory. That's the satisfaction for me.

I also try to never play HC while drinking, or being tired. Something will always get you, eventually. That's okay. I lost a level 90 something MF sorc in the pits. Ouch.

Still better and more rewarding than running baal over and over. Or well, sure makes getting rushed in HC a real pants making GBS threads experience. You learn what classes are good at what, how to enjoy the ride, and not be too concerned about getting THE BEST poo poo because you are too busy trying not to have a heart attack from the sheer moments of terror and delight.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
do we know if D2Ress is using the latest D2 patch, such that all the runewords and Countess runs and events and stuff is unlocked?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kazvall posted:

Regardless, any death you will experience due to game mechanics will forever be emblazoned upon your memory. That's the satisfaction for me.

See this makes sense for Dark Souls. As described above, if I'm on my way to Meph as a barb and absolutely have to kill a bunch of stygian dolls to get through a doorway, and I die, so does my computer and house. I suppose thats the reason they put leap in the game (which also carries huge defense penalties iirc)

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I remember years back I played a hardcore character who I intended to take all the way through hell, and backed up the character files on a thumb drive whenever I saved/exited to ensure I didn't lose him. After getting through normal difficulty, I looked at myself and thought, "why bother with playing hardcore if I'm just going to take the risk of losing my character out of the equation?" I haven't tried again since then. Of course, saving a HC character that way probably only works on single player; I can't imagine it working on the ladders.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am definitely going to take a stroll down the nostalgia road on D2R with some friends this fall, but I do wonder what they'll do about stuff like high rune drop rates.

Presumably there will be a lot less botting and duping now, but those two things made a whole host of stuff exist in the ladder economy what otherwise wouldn't in any appreciable numbers.

I suspect they'll end up buffing drop rates in a later ladder season after people come back and complain they played 40 hours a week for 3 months and never saw a Ber all season.

I also wonder how much playing a single season of PoE will have ruined D2 trading for me.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 15, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'll be content to watch from the sidelines until I hear more about how it goes initially and possible changes they'll make.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013
Played the tech alpha and the game stands up super well. It’s a bit eerie, feels like how you remember the game being when it first came out until you hit the button to swap back to classic graphics and realize just how much has changed. The spell effects really stand out though.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

do we know if D2Ress is using the latest D2 patch, such that all the runewords and Countess runs and events and stuff is unlocked?

Yes it’s the most recent patch. I did countess runs in the alpha.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013

Smythe posted:

honestly i feel like hc is how d2 was meant to be played. the gear grind sucks and there's no mechanism for it. no infinite scaling dungeon or nothing. game aint meant to be grinded and toons aint meant to be immortal.

I sort of agree with this, except there’s too many RNG related deaths unless you play so conservatively the game is boring.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Has anyone seen info on D2R about the following:

1.) Character permanence. I lost a lvl 98 or 99 runeword kitted Necro (Enigma+Beast+Infinity merc etc) to the 90 day message, plus other high characters, and they can go gently caress themselves if they think I'm buying into that again.
2.) (Rune) drop rates. Based on this thread I get the impression it's unchanged now? Most of the really nice stuff and godly runewords I had came from trading. It seems like bad design to me when you have several lvl95+ characters and have never seen some of the high level runes drop in person, let alone the specific ones you need for a good runeword during a season. Even if point 1 is fixed I would be hesitant to get in unless they change this. Trading was time consuming and not exactly fun. (No, I didn't bot)

Duuk fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 17, 2021

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Duuk posted:

1.) Character permanence. I lost a lvl 98 or 99 runeword kitted Necro (Enigma+Beast+Infinity merc etc) to the 90 day message, plus other high characters, and they can go gently caress themselves if they think I'm buying into that again.
2.) (Rune) drop rates. Based on this thread I get the impression it's unchanged now? Most of the really nice stuff and godly runewords I had came from trading. It seems like bad design to me when you have several lvl95+ characters and have never seen some of the high level runes drop in person, let alone the specific ones you need for a good runeword during a season. Even if point 1 is fixed I would be hesitant to get in unless they change this. Trading was time consuming and not exactly fun. (No, I didn't bot)

Imagine all the good things they could do, and then know they're not happening.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I hope once they game is out after a while they decide to make some new updates. All they would need to do is add a check box for people who would want to play the old/original version. I would definitely love more runes, runewords, uniques, and end game added.

The game is surprisingly looking good to me. I like how the game looks in motion besides a few character animations. My biggest gripe is I feel like some of the character art still looks off but all the monsters/demons are on point.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think a lot of it is going to bank on how moddable the game is

Because if you can't do Eastern Sun or Median XL on D2R, I'm willing to bet there are still going to be D2 Vanilla communities out there just to play those mods

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Duuk posted:

The high rune drop rate is significantly higher now than it was a while ago. I forgot the exact patch it changed but it was one of the 1.13 patches.

They're still really low. 1/1000 to 1/1500 chaos runs for a specific rune. But it is significantly higher than it used to be. Most high runes are closer to how Um was in 1.09/1.10. You're likely to see one drop if you play.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 17, 2021

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It needs to be higher than that. I've seen more Ist runes than I could ever dream of since 1.13 dropped in 2010, but a high rune every thousand Chaos runs is just nuts. And it'll be something no one wants like a Fal or a Cham.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

bawfuls posted:

I am definitely going to take a stroll down the nostalgia road on D2R with some friends this fall, but I do wonder what they'll do about stuff like high rune drop rates.

Presumably there will be a lot less botting and duping now, but those two things made a whole host of stuff exist in the ladder economy what otherwise wouldn't in any appreciable numbers.

I suspect they'll end up buffing drop rates in a later ladder season after people come back and complain they played 40 hours a week for 3 months and never saw a Ber all season.

I also wonder how much playing a single season of PoE will have ruined D2 trading for me.

i mean it can't be worse than trading in poe

Khorne posted:

The high rune drop rate is significantly higher now than it was a while ago. I forgot the exact patch it changed but it was one of the 1.13 patches.

They're still really low. 1/1000 to 1/1500 chaos runs for a specific rune. But it is significantly higher than it used to be. Most high runes are closer to how Um was in 1.09/1.10. You're likely to see one drop if you play.

I did ~75% of a grail and in that time found quite a few mid/high runes. Not enough to make any of the actually gg runewords, but yeah they definitely do drop. I think I only saw one of the 5 highest or so runes. They're definitely a lot less rare, but they're still completely impractical to ever self-farm like an enigma unless you have literally a thousand plus hours to play and don't mind incredibly tedious farming.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 18, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If you can burn, say, a regular full time job kinda hours at this game, you oughta be able to gear out a character after a few months at least ffs. It shouldn't be some powerball situation. You can make loot a bit more attainable while still maintaining the !!!! factor in finding something elite.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i mean it can't be worse than trading in poe
I liked the low-friction trading in poe by comparison. I can totally see why some people hate it (such people should just play ssf). But for my casual enjoyment poe's ease of trading made it much more straightforward to grind for currency and "complete" a build. If I played ssf I wouldn't have had time to do that within a single league.

Tektolnes
Jul 2, 2013

Duuk posted:

Pretty sure I read that characters on Battle.net won't be deleted after 90 days of inactivity anymore.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Star Man posted:

It needs to be higher than that. I've seen more Ist runes than I could ever dream of since 1.13 dropped in 2010, but a high rune every thousand Chaos runs is just nuts. And it'll be something no one wants like a Fal or a Cham.

Yeah, this.
I'm not a teenager any more. They're selling this largely on the nostalgia angle, but I've grown up and don't have that kind of time. (Nor patience to do it a second time)

I saw some high runes drop after the late patches but pretty sure there's a few that never popped.

Don't know if this qualifies as a hot take or not - I think the d2 "economy" and play experience on battle.net only worked thanks to dupers and botters. With find rates for runes (and some uniques) being what they are, there are few sensible people who would actually put in the time to see "endgame content". It seems Blizzard realised this when they made D3, with the drop rates there being what they are.

In my case, I just played the game as I wanted, sometimes I just ran Pindle and Bhaal, sometimes I did all the act bosses and cows etc. Traded the stuff I didn't need on d2jsp and directly in trade lobbies. A lot of my runewords came from selling the pgems I collected playing probably "sub-optimal" parts of the game.

Tektolnes posted:

Pretty sure I read that characters on Battle.net won't be deleted after 90 days of inactivity anymore.

Cheers, good to hear.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 19, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Star Man posted:

They could increase high rune drop rate by 10x or 100x and it would not bother me any. The game might even be better off for it.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Duuk posted:

Don't know if this qualifies as a hot take or not - I think the d2 "economy" and play experience on battle.net only worked thanks to dupers and botters.

This is the coldest of takes as it is established fact and if their claims of better anti-cheat tech on the remaster are true they better have paid attention to this or they'll have walled off most of the obscene power fantasy builds that kept casual players in the game.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Khorne posted:

They could increase high rune drop rate by 10x or 100x and it would not bother me any. The game might even be better off for it.

All the dumb Mr. llama lookalikes will cry foul and complain they turned it into Diablo 3. :rolleyes:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Most of the popular D2 mods remove nodrop from the monsters drop list and pump the loot rate up to /players5 or /players8 independent from difficulty.

It still doesn't make high runes drop anywhere close to common, but at least in a season of even casual play you will probably see a few runes in the Ohm - Cham range drop.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i had the most fun 1.09 where runewords were pretty meh and everyone played 75% DR in duels. you could gear out a duel league dude for a handful of SOJ (shaft, storm, shako as the meat of the gear) and then the rest was all cheap poo poo like sojs or bk wedding bands, maras kaleidoscope, blah blah. ive always liked building and playing toyota corolla tier gear guys. dependable and strong. i aint farming for a lambo of gear to... what? clear cows? there is no endgame content in d2 lol.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vakal posted:

Most of the popular D2 mods remove nodrop from the monsters drop list and pump the loot rate up to /players5 or /players8 independent from difficulty.

It still doesn't make high runes drop anywhere close to common, but at least in a season of even casual play you will probably see a few runes in the Ohm - Cham range drop.
nodrop is the only** thing that changes with increased player count. nodrop0 is more or less p8 drop rate with 8 people in the immediate area.

It should be the standard imo. In single player you can set players x, but online you can't and it doesn't make sense to dillute your drops by including other people in your area. Which is part of why everyone who "plays" d2 in the modern day runs 3-8 clients, plays single player, or plays a modded/private server with nodrop0. It's a serious design flaw they should correct.

** I didn't talk about super chests because I don't know that much about them. They also possibly change with more people.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 19, 2021

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

1.09 was my favourite too. Runewords and baal bots weren't more fun than burizas and cow runs

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

1.09 was my favourite too. Runewords and baal bots weren't more fun than burizas and cow runs

Pre-enigma, hoto, and grief was the best.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I never got a stormshield or grandfather for my barbarian but they at least felt achievable in a human timescale

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

jiggerypokery posted:

I never got a stormshield or grandfather for my barbarian but they at least felt achievable in a human timescale

I built an enigma and grief on single player but it required a TON of LK grinding. I'd rather play HC on ladder tbh, but netcode.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah there's youtube videos of people doing thousands of lower kurast runs for runes and still only getting a handful of high runes over 10k runs

the drop rate on high runes is just fundamentally impractically low

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know I didn't realize the whole story and lore that would eventually be tapped for D3 was right in the D1 manual
https://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_I_Manual

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

codo27 posted:

You know I didn't realize the whole story and lore that would eventually be tapped for D3 was right in the D1 manual
https://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_I_Manual

Yeah that manual was incredible for the art and lore. Diablo 1 did such an awesome job with atmosphere. That manual was better than the books that come with 100 dollar collector editions nowadays.

I have always enjoyed Diablo 3s gameplay but chunks of the story are so bad its funny instead of creepy/mysterious that the original Diablo had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
found the only 40/15 I've ever found in my life, in pd2, like a week before the season ends. rip.