Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Doesn't seem like they're doing anything besides making the graphics and music worse? They are great games, but if you wanted to play them again right now you could do it on your computer, browser, or phone pretty trivially. Cool combo option for new players who can't be bothered or don't know the series at all. I don't generally look to pay a premium to play worse versions of a game I can play the better version for free. (or old cart but cmon not digging out a gba in 2021)

Worse? It looks good. you're out of your mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I said come in! posted:

That's the thing, they don't at all. MW5 sucked.

Bring back Chromehounds.

As broken as it was it was super fun to play with goons

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

The REAL Goobusters posted:

you see the way it's animated? looks like a preschool cg show.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Bring back Chromehounds.

As broken as it was it was super fun to play with goons

I still have my copy! Chromehounds was very good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

EA Sports posted:

you see the way it's animated? looks like a preschool cg show.
it's like toys/minifigs on a board, it's a great way to reimagine it. sorry that cute art makes you feel insecure

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I gotta agree, for me Advance Wars is all about the cute pixel art, with fun little details implying real soldiers and tanks.

The chunky low-poly 3D makes everything look like a cartoon, instead of an impression of something more.

I think it looks bad :smith:

Also other people have already made that game, its called Tiny Metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DVwRPJvQcM

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

it's like toys/minifigs on a board, it's a great way to reimagine it. sorry that cute art makes you feel insecure

that's not necessary

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The 7th Guest posted:

The pixels were cute too, this is a bad take.

Which is cuter, honestly:

The new animated COs are great, otherwise...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that's not necessary
there's been a lot of "i hate baby graphics" in the thread this week, so i maybe went off the handle a little bit there. sorry

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
what i meant by preschool cg show is that it looks incredibly cheap. like it was animated by an ai or something.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

is this shin megami tensei going to be in english when it comes out?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I gotta agree, for me Advance Wars is all about the cute pixel art, with fun little details implying real soldiers and tanks.

The chunky low-poly 3D makes everything look like a cartoon, instead of an impression of something more.

I think it looks bad :smith:

Also other people have already made that game, its called Tiny Metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DVwRPJvQcM

New advance wars looks so much better than this. Sorry just gonna have to agree to disagree.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New advance wars looks so much better than this. Sorry just gonna have to agree to disagree.

Tiny Metal is an indie and not Nintendo so yeah, it doesn't look as good. But I think the pixel art still looks way better.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

is this shin megami tensei going to be in english when it comes out?
Dubbed? Dunno. It was purely narration over the footage, and no dialog from characters, so my guess it will be English text and Japanese VA. But I think SMT4 had english dubbing... it just comes down to Atlus.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Anime and polygons, they both have them so they must be the same thing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i just realized that Mario x Rabbids 2 having free movement instead of grid movement means that we're closer to Dragon Quarter combat babeyyyyy

e: or at least the PS2 arc the lad game

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

The portraits in advance wars look like Adventure Quest

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
They're showing off advance wars on stream right now and it looks real clean and smooth to me. Definitely getting it 100%

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'd rather they start with a new Advance wars narrative as opposed to just remastering the first two gameboy games

SMT:V looks great though and I never even played the other games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

infraboy posted:

I'd rather they start with a new Advance wars narrative as opposed to just remastering the first two gameboy games

SMT:V looks great though and I never even played the other games.

SMT3 was just re-released and if you like a challenging JRPG, I heavily recommend it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I’m still laughing about an actual Metroid 5 existing. And the revelation that it was contracted out to MercurySteam. And that they kept the discarded Metroid Dread name from like over a decade ago. And that it will be released before we even see a hint of Prime 4.

Edit: Dread, not Prime. Dur.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 15, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Anime and polygons, they both have them so they must be the same thing

Are you trolling with this take?

Seriously dude there is no need to be so snarky, can we all be friends?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You literally said "other people have done this already it's called tiny metal"

https://twitter.com/MaxKriegerVG/status/1404859517909848074

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When it comes to advance wars, I will never calm down

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo actually has games coming out this year too.

What? MS has a ton of stuff coming out this year. There's not much exclusive to Xbox/PC, but if you only have an Xbox you'd have plenty of upcoming games to play this year.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

:hai:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah it seems to me like there is no switch pro and insiders are going to have to move the goalposts again

That or Square-Enix did the math and even the supposed hardware refresh isn’t enough to get that game running at acceptable levels. The PS5 (PC?) demo looked kinda rough too in a few places.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

They're showing off advance wars on stream right now and it looks real clean and smooth to me. Definitely getting it 100%

Yeah it looks really great in motion

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

People have been unnecessarily harsh on Square Enix. They released a lot of titles like Hitman 3 and Outriders (a decent enough game with a bad launch) before E3. They did actually show some of the bigger titles across all platforms, Life is Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy etc. They released a weird but decent enough Final Fantasy Origins trailer (CHAOS). Babylon's Fall was the only flop, but some people vibed with it.

They have a team of 200 people working on Forspoken which will only be on PS5 so they didn't even talk about it at E3 and another rumored PS5 exclusive as well. All things considered it wasn't a terrible showing for them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The game does things like spawn AI out of thin air. The campaign is just padded with a lot of pointless busy work and grinding, and the story and voice acting are really bad and boring.

yeah they should definitely skip all the parts of the game that aren't picking your mech or doing a mission. So far worst part of game is after every mission having to go back to my hangar, ask it to be repaired, go talk to my manager, go select a transmission, accept it, double accept it, accept it for real this time and then finally start the goddamn mission. just tell me to go to way point and blow up emeny

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I didn’t know they hadn’t continued the Metroid 2D story since Fusion.

I’m already caught up, drat.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Literally might buy a Switch for it. It's extremely well made. There's so many little details from the gameplay preview I noticed too - like, in AW2, whenever you used a CO power, you had two themes for the world nations and two themes for the Black Hole army, but in AW1 you just had a little riff when you activated your power. In the preview for the remake they added hype remix versions of the CO themes that play on turns where you use your power to make up for that. The transition to battle screens is really clean, with units coming rolling in from offscreen instead of just static sprites, and the percussion in the music gets way louder, drowning the rest of it out. The COs themselves have a ton of animation, especially in their little portraits on the battle screens, and they look great. There's even nice little details, like Infantry units now aiming up/downhill if they're in a river or on a mountain.

It just looks great. They confirmed online multiplayer too.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Microsoft's conference was really good too.

Who's "any pronouns" pussy?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Advance Wars has always been saturday morning cartoony, except for Days of Ruin (which was still fairly cartoony)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

naw, i was literally playing advance wars a few days ago and it looks great, doesn't need enhancement, certainly doesn't need playmobil graphics either. ffs Nintendo can afford to spring for real legos.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Microsoft's conference was really good too.

Yeah it was awesome. Between that and Nintendo I’m gonna be out like 300 bucks this winter.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Rolo posted:

Yeah it was awesome. Between that and Nintendo I’m gonna be out like 300 bucks this winter.

I find this a bit odd because the best thing about Microsoft's conference was virtually all of the games they shown are going to be on Gamepass day one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

naw, i was literally playing advance wars a few days ago and it looks great, doesn't need enhancement, certainly doesn't need playmobil graphics either. ffs Nintendo can afford to spring for real legos.

Fortunately you can just play the old games if you don't like the new look

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find this a bit odd because the best thing about Microsoft's conference was virtually all of the games they shown are going to be on Gamepass day one.

Yes, and that's great. I would not have paid a cent for Forza.....but now I'm curious to try it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

No Mods No Masters posted:

From a different game but the song applies better here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpBmGR5r7g