Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Surge 2 has such terrible lighting and technical flaws it really impacted the entire game for me. It's seldom that graphics had such a notable negative impact. It's really bad visual appeal, despite it's good art design.

Kinda funny as they're sitting just a few kilometers away from Crytek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Oh...so they basically merged the healing implants together so now everything is battery-powered? No standalone estus flask charges like in the first game? Awkward.

Also because the game hasn't left my brain yet, I'm watching CJacobs' LP and he solved the mystery of the stagger meter for me. I think part of the reason I was so confused was because trying to use it tandem with heavy duty weapons doesn't work as well, but also it really comes off as a hacked-in feature to show info that wasn't originally meant to be surfaced (I think it was patched in after the fact?). Basically its purpose is to indicate that an enemy is close to staggering from repeated attacks and if it's close to being depleted that's your sign to keep pressing the attack because you'll safely knock them for a loop for a second vs. them counter-attacking and interrupting you. Like with a lot of the other mechanics there is no discrete stagger "system" or "state" per se, it's basically just a reward for chaining together full combos and staying aggressive. Visualizing it as a meter and attaching it to enemy health bars is where the confusion is born from, I think. It instantly refills whenever you're not actively comboing an enemy and similarly you only get the one brief stagger effect before it resets. So it's perfectly normal for it to instantly refill any time you're not actively pressuring them and for it to reset after a successful stagger, because by design you're simply not allowed to infinitely stunlock enemies. Wish I had understood all of that before beating the game, but maybe it'll help Simply Simon.

Yeah the stagger meter is more useful with fast weapons. Big slow ones stagger just about any staggerable enemy in 1 or 2 hits so it's kind of meaningless.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Surge 2 has iffy lighting, a forgettable story, and some side-quests are incredibly easy to screw up like the Stranger's.

But gently caress it, it was more fun than Sekiro ever was.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Surge 2 has iffy lighting, a forgettable story, and some side-quests are incredibly easy to screw up like the Stranger's.

lovely easy-to-break sidequests that require either obsessively returning to previous locations after every boss or a guide are as much a part of a souls-like as committing to attacks and estus flasks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Piranha Bytes announced Elex II, which they insist will be the fifth or sixth time they aim to recapture the magic of Gothic 2. No, you still can't play a female character nor play anything beyond a lumpy white dude with no personality.

Is it any wonder every other WRPG developer leaves this company in the dust?

I’ve never seen a PB game that wasn’t operating on the raggedy edge of its budget so they’re one of the few devs where I can absolutely buy them not having the budget to do VA for the protagonist twice.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

serefin99 posted:

Honestly, games that only let you do NG+ by upping the difficulty suck in general. The entire POINT of NG+ is to let the player rampage through the early game with all their endgame equipment and skills. Can't exactly do that when the first goon hits harder than the final boss.

True. They could at least make it optional.

Like, OK, I beat the game to your standards now, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to go in and gently caress some poo poo up proper. But if a player want's to raise the challenge, let them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I like the Borderlands NG+ thing where yeah, it’s harder now but they also increase the effects of elemental weapons and resistances. So like electric was +25 percent against shields and -25 on health but now it’s +\- 50 percent.

They kind of gently caress up the balance and health scaling though especially if you hit NG++ but it’s a cool concept, where it takes things you learned from your first playthrough and makes them even more important.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

BiggerBoat posted:

True. They could at least make it optional.

Like, OK, I beat the game to your standards now, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to go in and gently caress some poo poo up proper. But if a player want's to raise the challenge, let them.

Oh yeah, for sure. My point is that NG+ should have the same difficulty options as any normal NG instead of hardlocking you into one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

serefin99 posted:

Oh yeah, for sure. My point is that NG+ should have the same difficulty options as any normal NG instead of hardlocking you into one.

Exactly. Like how the Resident Evil games let you go through again on standard difficulty with all your bonus weapons and poo poo. Then, if that gets boring or too easy, you can bump up the difficulty.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Lol now that they tweaked Mass Effect 1 it's got better shooting than Mass Effect 2.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm unironically more excited for the PC release of runefactory 4 so I can play that game for like, a third time, than I am for runefactory 5 at this point. Aside from 5's world visuals just looking so weirdly bland, I'm just real tired of them removing what little token nods to letting you play as a gay character they had already. Sure 4's whole unlockable sprite swap thing wasn't ideal, but it was more than nothing. And even that was a bit of a step back from letting your protagonist in 2 be in a pretend same-sex relationship! (and for context, it's pretend because they're all kids, not adults.) I guess it's a weird hang up since there's probably nothing wrong with the gameplay but I just can't work up the interest in games with huge romance/dating sim elements anymore where you're supposed to have a blank slate protagonist but are also forced to be purely hereto :shepface:

EDIT: I guess the sticking point with me about 5, specifically, is that they're letting you gently caress a dog, but not another dude/lady.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Jun 17, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First off I had no idea RF4 was getting a PC release, secondly apparently the sprite swap is in five

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Gaius Marius posted:

First off I had no idea RF4 was getting a PC release, secondly apparently the sprite swap is in five

I skimmed the previous post, misread RF4 as RE4, then went back to read the post, thinking it was about Resident Evil 4.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Surge 2 is probably my favorite Soulslike. The combat was more intricate than DS and was just the right speed for me.

Sekiro, on paper, was everything I wanted in a game, but I could never get a feel for the timing of parrying. The boss fights also dragged on longer than they should have.

Enemies in Sekiro have two meters in combat: health ticks down while posture ticks up. The lower an enemy's health, the more posture damage the enemy takes and the slower it decays. Once an enemy's posture bar is maxed, they are set up for a finisher instakill. Parries, counters, well timed jump kicks, and a few other non standard attacks deal heavy posture damage, while sword attacks mainly damage health.

For basic enemies, this is great! Combat is fast and fluid, challenging but fair, and stealth attacks work well to thin out crowds. Bosses and elites, though, take loving ages to whittle down their health to the point where they don't restore posture damage faster than it can be dealt, with each combo (good luck getting a special move out before you get smacked) dealing about three pixels of health damage. On top of that, bosses and elites take more than one finisher, so once you solve the puzzle, you get to repeat it another one or two times. All this makes boss fights less tense and more tedious.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I really want to like Sekiro, love the exploration, stealth parts, and the bulk of the combat, but every time I hit a boss, it leaves me totally flat and wanting to put it away.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gaius Marius posted:

It is coming to steam apparently, and I had no idea the sprite swap was in five! I'd heard it wasn't, guess that's what I get for trusting people on the internet. I'm still stoked for 4 on PC though.

Leave posted:

I skimmed the previous post, misread RF4 as RE4, then went back to read the post, thinking it was about Resident Evil 4.

I don't care what anyone says, Mike was Leon's true soul mate!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I'm unironically more excited for the PC release of runefactory 4

https://i.imgur.com/XGYKquu.mp4

Also I hate that the rune factory games wont let you hook up with the bachelorette's moms and the other older ladies, the cowards

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't wanna hook up with any of the love interests in Rune Factory 4 because they all looks like very Anime children.

To be fair this seems to be a problem for most Harvest Moon games and imitators.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't wanna hook up with any of the love interests in Rune Factory 4 because they all looks like very Anime children.

To be fair this seems to be a problem for most Harvest Moon games and imitators.

Which is why its a drat shame you can't hook up with

or

At best you can only get a... friendship.... cookie from them :negative:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I'm unironically more excited for the PC release of runefactory 4 so I can play that game for like, a third time, than I am for runefactory 5 at this point. Aside from 5's world visuals just looking so weirdly bland, I'm just real tired of them removing what little token nods to letting you play as a gay character they had already. Sure 4's whole unlockable sprite swap thing wasn't ideal, but it was more than nothing. And even that was a bit of a step back from letting your protagonist in 2 be in a pretend same-sex relationship! (and for context, it's pretend because they're all kids, not adults.) I guess it's a weird hang up since there's probably nothing wrong with the gameplay but I just can't work up the interest in games with huge romance/dating sim elements anymore where you're supposed to have a blank slate protagonist but are also forced to be purely hereto :shepface:

EDIT: I guess the sticking point with me about 5, specifically, is that they're letting you gently caress a dog, but not another dude/lady.

What was the Harvest Moon game where if you don't have a wife after a few years the mayor comes and says "When you moved here it was with the understanding you'd be more popular with the ladies, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

OutOfPrint posted:

The Surge 2 is probably my favorite Soulslike. The combat was more intricate than DS and was just the right speed for me.

Sekiro, on paper, was everything I wanted in a game, but I could never get a feel for the timing of parrying. The boss fights also dragged on longer than they should have.

Enemies in Sekiro have two meters in combat: health ticks down while posture ticks up. The lower an enemy's health, the more posture damage the enemy takes and the slower it decays. Once an enemy's posture bar is maxed, they are set up for a finisher instakill. Parries, counters, well timed jump kicks, and a few other non standard attacks deal heavy posture damage, while sword attacks mainly damage health.

For basic enemies, this is great! Combat is fast and fluid, challenging but fair, and stealth attacks work well to thin out crowds. Bosses and elites, though, take loving ages to whittle down their health to the point where they don't restore posture damage faster than it can be dealt, with each combo (good luck getting a special move out before you get smacked) dealing about three pixels of health damage. On top of that, bosses and elites take more than one finisher, so once you solve the puzzle, you get to repeat it another one or two times. All this makes boss fights less tense and more tedious.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I really want to like Sekiro, love the exploration, stealth parts, and the bulk of the combat, but every time I hit a boss, it leaves me totally flat and wanting to put it away.

Basically once you git gud at deflection/counters/pressure in Sekiro you can just stay in a boss's face and whittle down their stance meter in 15 seconds. Definitely a slog before you get to that point though, so I can't blame anyone for bouncing off of it. The ninja tools are also very powerful if you learn to use them right but I've never really bothered with that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The story mode in Guilty Gear Strive is total anime nonsense, but it's the kind of anime nonsense that spends 3 hours having to justify itself with boring exposition in front of computer screens while all the characters nod solemnly. The main villain reminds me of this sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zDkMflXhNI

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Moon Monster posted:

What was the Harvest Moon game where if you don't have a wife after a few years the mayor comes and says "When you moved here it was with the understanding you'd be more popular with the ladies, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

Or the Harvest Moon game where if you played as a woman, the game ended when you got married.

Only took until goddamn Stardew Valley to let the player be gay in those types of games, too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I think HM: A Wonderful Life for the GameCube ended if you weren't married after a year.

I do love that though. "Everyone in this village fucks, and if you don't I'm afraid you'll need to leave."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
They should also deport all single npcs after the time limit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LazyQ posted:

Developers of Baldur's Gate 3 collected the most popular choices players took in the character creator, and this was the result:

If I collected player data on character creation I would want to see whatever the opposite of the average choices was.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I believe that was harvest moon a wonderful life for the gamecube? It was something like that. If you weren’t engaged by the end of the first year the game just ends

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

OutOfPrint posted:

.If I'm wrong, please let me know. I really want to like Sekiro, love the exploration, stealth parts, and the bulk of the combat, but every time I hit a boss, it leaves me totally flat and wanting to put it away.

Sekiro is one of those games where you have to master the party system or you’re gonna have a hard time.

It took me quite a bit to learn the ins and outs as well, but like the other poster said it mostly just comes down to practice and learning enough about the boss so you can parry their 15 hit combo and instantly delete them.

Also if you haven’t bought the skill that allows you to dash into stabs for a bunch of posture damage to the enemy I suggest you pick that up ASAP.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
In Pac Man, when you have an active power pellet and eat a ghost, not only does the ghost respawn in less than a second, but you can't eat it again, even though the power pellet is still active!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fire Emblem Heroes seems like a shoe-in for being a decent gacha game, too bad it's all about pvp and doesn't have fun vignettes like basically any remotely enjoyable gacha game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is totally a me thing, but what is dragging down Portal for me is that I haven't played it in ages and it takes me longer to suss out some puzzles than I'd like.

Ironically, I haven't played it in ages because if I did play it earlier, I'd remember the solutions enough that it'd be easy.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dragon Quest 11 :

Oh neat, theyr'e doing the "actually this character that looks like a little girl is actually much , much older" thing.

It's also pretty easy to get lost, since so many of the dungeons look very similiar and your character ends a fight not nessecarilly in the same direction they were facing when the fight started, so you get turned around a lot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Dragon Quest 11 :

Oh neat, theyr'e doing the "actually this character that looks like a little girl is actually much , much older" thing.

It's also pretty easy to get lost, since so many of the dungeons look very similiar and your character ends a fight not nessecarilly in the same direction they were facing when the fight started, so you get turned around a lot.

Veronica is great because she's just so over everyone's bullshit

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm replaying Company of Heroes, the best RTS ever made, and just moved from the main campaign onto the DLC where you play as a German unit during Operation Market Garden. This DLC is broken.

The first mission has you defending your base's CPU-controlled anti-aircraft guns from marauding British paratroopers. The first time I played this mission the voice acting and music broke, and I played in an eerily quiet battle until the timer ran out but the next mission objective never triggered. So I restarted. The second time everything appeared to be working correctly, except now the CPU anti-aircraft guns were shooting down planes in just such a way that they'd crash directly into my HQ. Just a constant stream of flaming Allied planes ramming into my dick, over and over and over. My engineers couldn't keep up with the repairs so my HQ exploded and I lost the mission. I do not feel compelled to try again.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Veronica is great because she's just so over everyone's bullshit

Veronica owns and I lost all will to continue playing when they merged her with her intolerable dork of a sister.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gerblyn posted:

Veronica owns and I lost all will to continue playing when they merged her with her intolerable dork of a sister.

Keep playing she comes back in act 3

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Dragon Quest 11 :

It is TBF like the one example of this trope where it is not used for anything remotely creepy. There is no sexualization or even hints of romance or anything at all weird, she’s just powerful and annoyed at being shorter than she used to be.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think it’s literally the only example I can think of of that character not being paedobait, yeah.

Also make sure you play Act 3 and don’t listen to all those freaks who insist that Act 2 is the ending and Act 3 is an unnecessary post game that “ruins it”. It’s the rest of the loving game you weirdos.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

You might be thinking of this image (from Harvest Moon: Back to Nature for the Playstation)?

But, the third bit is actually separate from the first two. The mayor does come to chew you out for not getting married, but the eviction ending (which the third screen is from) only triggers if you massively neglect your farm and relationships with the townspeople (i.e. you basically don't play the game).

As mentioned above, A Wonderful Life DOES have a game over if you aren't married by the end of the first year, but that's just explained as your character deciding that "farming isn't for him" and moving back to the city. Nobody kicks you out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Farming is it worthwhile if you get to gently caress

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If you ain't gettin' plowed, then you ain't plowin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I think it’s literally the only example I can think of of that character not being paedobait, yeah.

Also make sure you play Act 3 and don’t listen to all those freaks who insist that Act 2 is the ending and Act 3 is an unnecessary post game that “ruins it”. It’s the rest of the loving game you weirdos.

But the credits rolled so it's optional