Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The GameVaults: World of Warcraft® OnyxEdition™ includes all the pieces in the GameVaults: World of Warcraft® Core Edition™ plus 20 additional exclusive creature game pieces - 10 each of two amazing Abomination figures. These exclusives are painted in rich and detailed black tones. In addition to being visually stunning, these deep black tones raise the complexity of the game. When there is no differentiation between the pieces and the playing surface the gameplay difficulty is amplified significantly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamevaults/gamevaults-world-of-warcraft-edition

what even is this

e: For all the GameVaults: World of Warcraft® Editions, we have chosen accuracy over simplicity. This tabletop game will be built to the highest standards and level of detail. Rather than mold a game piece to be cost effective and tooling efficient, our designers have done the opposite.

Unlike traditional tabletop games, the GameVaults playing area sits over 4 inches tall above the table surface. With the addition of iconic elements placed on the gaming platform, game landing spaces are raised in some areas as high as 8 inches, creating a level of distraction never before seen in tabletop gaming.

There are 2 levels of game play. Level 43 is the initial setup phase and precursor to the impending battle.

I just watched the gameplay video for this. It's an abstract that could literally be played with pebbles on a hand drawn board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Unlike traditional tabletop games, the GameVaults playing area sits over 4 inches tall above the table surface. With the addition of iconic elements placed on the gaming platform, game landing spaces are raised in some areas as high as 8 inches, creating a level of distraction never before seen in tabletop gaming.

I too crave a level of distraction never before seen in tabletop gaming.

(and yes, the earlier comment about the paint job being baffling is definitely a thing. $500 for this kit is... quite something.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/kai_tave/status/1404874294396526592

I posted a link to this on discord and someone noted that the company in question consists of two employees and is based out of a storage unit.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Ah gently caress I'm gonna get murdered for asking them a bunch of stupid questions, aren't I.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kai Tave posted:

storage unit

I believe the popular term for this is 'maker space'.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
This is either a scam, or some Blizzard big wig's pet/vanity project (which doesn't preclude it from being a scam).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bob Smith posted:

I thought this was going to be a reprint of the World of Warcraft board game from ages back that's long out of print and was supposedly quite good (like the Starcraft one). Instead I'm not at all sure what the game is.

I've played it (and indeed, playtested it at the FFG offices once), it was not very good. It had some interesting dice mechanics in combat but the rest of it was an extremely lengthy slog and most combats were basically just there to slow you down and had no payoff whatsoever.

Which is arguably not a bad simulation of the MMO, actually. :P

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The $500 comes with random garbage that they had laying around?

Why is it called Level 43?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Wrr posted:

In the world of Law Enforcement, there exists a scale on which to rate killers. The petty opportunists are considered a level one threat, increasing to what must be the most demonic of murderers, level 25. Level 25 has been the measuring stick, the type of killer that no one wants to encounter. Until now. A new classification has been created, level 26, and it contains only one man. He is ethereal as smoke, vicious to a fault, and worse, his attacks seem to be random. His name is Sqweegel.

Level 43 refers to the amount of moves before the actual skirmish begins. While reaching Level 43 during game play, the game can be won or lost by either side before the main skirmish ever begins.

The Skirmish: The Final Play
The Skirmish begins only after all of The Blocker’s 20 game pieces have been placed on an open space, thus ending Level 43. At this point the Blocker can begin to move their game pieces to an adjacent and open space in an attempt to surround The Vaulter’s pieces. Depending on the player's strategy, each skirmish can take thirty minutes, three hours, or three days. It’s up to you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Wrr posted:

Because when you see it, you turn 43 degrees and walk away.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Level 43 refers to the amount of moves before the actual skirmish begins. While reaching Level 43 during game play, the game can be won or lost by either side before the main skirmish ever begins.

The Skirmish: The Final Play
The Skirmish begins only after all of The Blocker’s 20 game pieces have been placed on an open space, thus ending Level 43. At this point the Blocker can begin to move their game pieces to an adjacent and open space in an attempt to surround The Vaulter’s pieces. Depending on the player's strategy, each skirmish can take thirty minutes, three hours, or three days. It’s up to you.

I can see these are all real words and probably perfectly fine sentences, but do they... mean anything? Somebody please send help.

Are Level 42 involved somehow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x1RcVrGjGM

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It’s chess. It’s loving chess with a bunch of bullshit tacked on.

$500k for a WoW chess set. :psyduck:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 15, 2021

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

I don't think its chess because it doesn't sound like the pieces are different; they all move and act the same way as far as I can tell. Its checkers but really tall and also you can spend extra to paint everything jet black and enjoy the extra difficulty of not being able to see what the gently caress anything is.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

the moves a piece can make are entirely determined by the space they're on, not the piece itself.

$500 for a WoW chess set would be a MUCH better deal than this

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

As someone who loves WoW... Who is this for?

Like this has to be a scam. I don't see how Blizzard would do anything KS related - especially with how Design By Committee they are these days

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Infinitum posted:

As someone who loves WoW... Who is this for?

Like this has to be a scam. I don't see how Blizzard would do anything KS related - especially with how Design By Committee they are these days

I worked in the Blizzard Licensed Product group years ago, I don't believe this is a legit Blizzard authorized product, it's at best somebody who doesn't know anything about licensing (like the guy who did that Pokémon kickstarter without authorization) or somebody with a lovely scam.
Nothing on that page or the video actually includes the Blizzard or Blizzard Licensed product logos, which they're pretty strict about indicating on anything associated with their IP. Their "In association with Blizzard Entertainment" probably translates to "I showed it to my brother-in-law who works there".
Like I said it's possible it's somebody at the companies vanity project, it wasn't unheard of for us to get the directive "Senior VP of Transgenic-synergy-market-analysis wants a Tauren Halloween mask, make it happen", or "Paul Sams had lunch with this guy who makes pool floats and wants us to work with them", but even then we were required to follow standards on branding.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fate Accomplice posted:

the moves a piece can make are entirely determined by the space they're on, not the piece itself.

That's... I had a checkers board as a kid with that on the back. What on earth was it called? I'm gonna have to message my brother and see if he remembers.

Edit: found it! https://www.chessvariants.com/other.dir/smess.html

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 16, 2021

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Not just a scam, but a racist scam!
From their risks and challenges section:

lovely checkers posted:

The relationship with our partners in the Orient span decades and meet or exceed the strictest of standards.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

but even then we were required to follow standards on branding.

No blue posts announcing it, no partner sites promoting it, I'm at work so I doubt any of the major streamers are showing it off.

The pieces are random bits from around Azeroth that don't make sense as a whole. Like you have an Outland piece, but no Dark Portal?

Like... as a bunch of minis that would be fine, but Blizzard have made fully licensed minis in the past - and they were fully painted.

Everything about this stinks.

Captain Theron posted:

Not just a scam, but a racist scam!
From their risks and challenges section:

Yeaaaahhhhh get your screenshots in cause this thing will be going bye bye

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Everything about this stinks.

I dropped quick line to my old boss and apparently this is legit, and there will be official marketing announcement soon.

I told him he should have somebody proofread that KS page before that since it reads like it was designed by a crazy person.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bucnasti posted:

I dropped quick line to my old boss and apparently this is legit, and there will be official marketing announcement soon.

I told him he should have somebody proofread that KS page before that since it reads like it was designed by a crazy person.

Once again, goons out there griefing games they don't even play. :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bucnasti posted:

lmao no fuckin way

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Bucnasti posted:

Incredible.

They keep referring to age-old strategy etc. without saying what game they're copying. It's not chess or checkers, and sounds most like a tafl game as someone mentioned above. Or go? Strange project

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I asked. "The core strategy game has it's roots in a game from Nepal."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I asked. "The core strategy game has it's roots in a game from Nepal."

Wait, it's based on Bagh-Chal? I guess that makes some sense, both games are asymmetric with 4 attackers vs 20 defenders.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/gI8R2PA.mp4

"With the addition of iconic architectural elements some landing spaces are raised as high as 11 inches ultimately obscuring the line of sight of all game pieces. The rules. have. change."

Obscuring your players view shouldn't be a selling point!

It's the opposite of a selling point!

:psyboom:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Frozen Peach posted:

Our KS video premiered on Facebook today!

https://fb.watch/63JszzJbc4/

It's definitely not as good as the Root trailer though.

Also I've been meaning to say this is a very good video, and I'm very sorry I haven't been able to playtest it yet to give you feedback :negative:

One thing I would point out is that the video doesn't mention you're holding your cards face out so they're not visible to you - Otherwise it is an excellent topper video that is short, and to the point.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Infinitum posted:

https://i.imgur.com/gI8R2PA.mp4

"With the addition of iconic architectural elements some landing spaces are raised as high as 11 inches ultimately obscuring the line of sight of all game pieces. The rules. have. change."

Obscuring your players view shouldn't be a selling point!

It's the opposite of a selling point!

:psyboom:

Plus the Onyx edition of it, which costs $650, has the additional challenge of jet-black pieces you can't distinguish from the background or each other!

"The GameVaults: World of Warcraft® OnyxEdition™ includes all the pieces in the GameVaults: World of Warcraft® Core Edition™ plus 20 additional exclusive creature game pieces - 10 each of two amazing Abomination figures. These exclusives are painted in rich and detailed black tones. In addition to being visually stunning, these deep black tones raise the complexity of the game. When there is no differentiation between the pieces and the playing surface the gameplay difficulty is amplified significantly."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol yup.

Raising difficulty = pissing your players off right?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Infinitum posted:

Also I've been meaning to say this is a very good video, and I'm very sorry I haven't been able to playtest it yet to give you feedback :negative:

One thing I would point out is that the video doesn't mention you're holding your cards face out so they're not visible to you - Otherwise it is an excellent topper video that is short, and to the point.

The video definitely isn't as clear in that regard as I'd like it to be. Some of it's due to the limitations of Tabletop Simulator. Overall I'm absolutely thrilled with it, but yeah, that's definitely one of the minor points I wish were done differently. We do have at least one other other video that makes it extremely clear. One by Jamey Stegmaier talking about playing the early prototype at Geekway to the West 2019.

I definitely appreciate the feedback, but no worries about the playtest.

We're a week from launch now and I'm absolutely freaking out. I've been trying to perfect the rules docs and have a preliminary formatted rulebook ready to publish. I've been making myself active on Twitter again. The BGG page should be up as soon as BGG approves it. Things are happening :dance:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Frozen Peach posted:

We're a week from launch now and I'm absolutely freaking out.

I shall back your game. It looks dope. :colbert:

I love to have more quick light in-between games like yours - And the Hanabi hands-outwards gameplay is a big hit with my friend groups.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I keep looking at the WoW game and wondering if this would have come out during the height of my World of Warcraft addiction would I have backed it?

No. I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I hope the answer is no.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Reading through that Warcraft KS is a treat. They keep advertising this "600+ piece" number, for the book stand I guess? I can't believe that they'd really make something that complicated, when it just unfolds and you put the actual terrain on top. And they advertise "detail painting" when the mini's are all monochrome and could easily be done with colored plastic. Unless this claim of "detail painting" amounts to just an ink wash over bare plastic. Oh, but them they couldn't charge $100 for a coat of black spray paint. I know they advertise "increased challenge," but just imagine trying to keep all those different direction arrows in mind, painted pure black, with mini's on top of them...

But watching the video of the gameplay, the colors don't seem to relate to the gameplay at all! It seems like they're going for a 'silver > Alliance' 'brown > Horde' dynamic, but the only pieces that matter are the 5 faction leaders. The opposing player controls ALL other pieces, regardless of color, and terrain colors are meaningless. Oh, did I say 5 leaders? I meant 4, cause despite there being 5 Faction Leader mini's per side, the gameplay video shows you only play with 4 at a time! :psyboom:

And they don't even mention what material they're planning to make the mini's out of. From the shininess of the renders, and the price, my mind first went to metal miniatures, but they show a clearly plastic sprue in the Limited Edition picture. So not only are they 'painting' the mini's, they're planning to cut, clean, and assemble them first. Call me skeptical if I don't have much faith in the quality control of a KS outsourcing all this labor to "our partners in the Orient." It'd probably drop the pledge amount by over half to just ship un-assembled sprues to backers.

All this to say, I wish them the best of luck in their campaign, and I look forward to the train of stretch goals they're bound to unlock.

Edit: Oh my God, the Q&A section keeps going. They plan to have the first shipments arrive by the end of December. Good luck on that one. And from the size of the book stand, I assumed you could store the pieces inside, but Nope! "All pieces will be boxed with vacuum formed shells to prevent them from being damaged. We will offer for sale, a premium carrying case at some point." Why does the book have a handle on it if it's not a carry-able box???

Desfore fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 16, 2021

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

They're at $10k/$500k after a day (?). Even if Blizzard boosts some marketing their way, I would be surprised if they fund.

Anyway,

quote:

If players opt to continue after 5 of The Blocker’s game pieces are captured, the game will continue forever as a stalemate. Trust us, we’ve tried.

:psyduck:

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

That Old Tree posted:

They're at $10k/$500k after a day (?). Even if Blizzard boosts some marketing their way, I would be surprised if they fund.

Anyway,

:psyduck:

Well, you have to keep in mind, the base pledge level is $500, so they'd only need to trick around a thousand people to reach that goal. If Blizz actually advertises this on Twitter or potentially the Battle.Net client, I think there's enough traffic to find 1,000 stooges with money to burn. But, that's a big IF at the moment. I think the lack of any comments at the moment speaks to the... authenticity of the money they've raised so far.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 16, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What do you reckon is the game with the widest gap between 'number of people who own it' vs 'number who've ever finished a game of it'?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Imagined posted:

What do you reckon is the game with the widest gap between 'number of people who own it' vs 'number who've ever finished a game of it'?

The Campaign for North Africa

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Monopoly, or Microsoft Solitaire.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Bucnasti posted:

I'm still not convinced that this is totally above board. Are you sure your old boss isn't talking about another soon-to-be launched KS WoW boardgame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Monopoly, or Microsoft Solitaire.

FreeCell.